Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• VanadromArdaVanadromArda Member Posts: 445
    Wow, they have a knack for making everything they do look boring don't they? Who MAKES these videos?
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Looks great to me, especially for alpha!

As long as they aren't removing the skill chains and party skills (limit breaks) and actually make you (force) use them in dungeons/raids, I'm happy w/ what I saw.

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by TemperHoof
    Wow, they have a knack for making everything they do look boring don't they? Who MAKES these videos?

^^ My issue is with cast times essentially. Its so slow it almost feels turnbased, which leaves a lot to be desired in the engagment department. Not to mention that ui is fugly. It looks like something that belongs on a ds, not on an mmo.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    Originally posted by TemperHoof

For alpha players they're even duller. I've been complaining about these trailers for 2 yrs, the 1.0 dungeon ones where even worse. However these last few are "functional" and are needed given how the previous version couldn't get even the basics right. We should get some more interesting footage, (if not any better edited) from the beta phases in feb.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Doesn't look like any alpha I've ever seen.  No debugging messages flying, no animation glitches, no missing sections where the interior isn't finished.  Pretty sweet work.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    I want to see skill chains , and limit breaks!!!!! And chocobo battles. I understand the reason why all the game is shown like it is , is because they want the best camera shots , there doing things slow so you can see details in the work. It looks great most launched mmos could not hang with this at a alpha build. We should be grateful that V1 failed and they gave us this master piece in return.

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by DarknessReign
    I want to see skill chains , and limit breaks!!!!! And chocobo battles. I understand the reason why all the game is shown like it is , is because they want the best camera shots , there doing things slow so you can see details in the work. It looks great most launched mmos could not hang with this at a alpha build. We should be grateful that V1 failed and they gave us this master piece in return.

It's essentially an "alpha" with two+ years of post-launch revisions and polish not to mention the years of development before launch.

So it may be an "alpha" of v2.0 but I'd hardly say it's fair to compare it to the alpha of any other MMO given the unique circumstances of this game.

I do want to see skill chains and limit breaks too.

Did they remove the TP system? I hope not.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by DarknessReign

It's essentially an "alpha" with two+ years of post-launch revisions and polish not to mention the years of development before launch.

So it may be an "alpha" of v2.0 but I'd hardly say it's fair to compare it to the alpha of any other MMO given the unique circumstances of this game.

I do want to see skill chains and limit breaks too.

Did they remove the TP system? I hope not.

I believe in the last major gaming event they said something about the TP system being more of a recharging resource rather than just something you gain with each auto attack.  Possibly a lot like the rogue's energy from WoW, but it seems a lot more attacks are able to be chained before it drains and needs to be filled.  The reasoning behind it was that it felt too slow when you started combat originally, and now you can chain combos almost instantly at the start of combat.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
    What I would like to see is more of a weapon selection. Maces , scythes (ffxi) ball and chains . Maybe monk could get a nunchucks or more martial arts selection other then fists and feet.

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

Personal opinion, combat looks borring as hell.  The graphics are amazing, but just standing in place mashing keys & watching cooldowns.  No blocking, dodging, reaction etc needed.

Looks like a snooze fest with nice graphics.  Definite throwback to WoW combat / EQ.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

I can't really bash the video, it looked ok. I think the issue for me is that I'm pretty much past the FF portion of my gaming life. The last couple of single player games and the first rendition of XIV did me in I think. A Realm Reborn looks like its shaping up to be better but... it's simply not for me anymore. The window of opportunity has closed. 

I do wish them luck and I hope those looking forward to it enjoy it :) 

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by ragz45

Personal opinion, combat looks borring as hell.  The graphics are amazing, but just standing in place mashing keys & watching cooldowns.  No blocking, dodging, reaction etc needed.

Looks like a snooze fest with nice graphics.  Definite throwback to WoW combat / EQ.

Believe me if the skill chains work anything like in FFXI you'll need plenty of reactions. The difference here is that you react more to your own teammates by coordinating more powerful combined attacks than just dodging red circles on the ground.

• VanadromArdaVanadromArda Member Posts: 445

That's just the video. I can personally assure that they really aren't being as active as you should be, and would be in that dungeon. There are so many positional abilties, none of them are used. Everything is so static and dull in that video, it's like they didn't even want to try and fight properly. Thus why they have TWO White Mages.

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    Originally posted by Alberel

Believe me if the skill chains work anything like in FFXI you'll need plenty of reactions. The difference here is that you react more to your own teammates by coordinating more powerful combined attacks than just dodging red circles on the ground.

Surely you jest. Let me preface this by saying I played the hell out of FFXI and was completely enamored with it. I finished CoP when it was "hard." I camped ground kings for months, killed the wyrms, etc.

Are you really trying to say skillchains in XI were something that took any type of skill or quick reactions? You counted to three then fired off the next WS. Then you had a five second window in which a mage could magic burst. You could write macros to signal when everything needed to happen. Not too much in XI took any skill whatsoever. It was a "hardcore" game in the sense that everything took for-fucking-ever, but from a mechanical standpoint FFXI was very simple. Every class only had a few active abilities, so you were either TP'ing AKA doing nothing, or running away from an AOE. 

As far as the video is concerned, it looks boooooooooooring, but Tam is a level 20ish instance if memory serves. I could make a video of Deadmines in WoW, and it would probably look equally boring. All SE is doing with these videos is showing that they have a functional game which, unfortunately, is something that is a selling point going from 1.0 to 2.0. 

I'm glad were all talking about FFXIV V2 . What you see is what you get. If your looking for some GW2 or TERA moment your going to be disappointed. I for one like how the direction of ARR is going. It is FF . You work as a team in dungeons. The video is there just to show off its graphics and some abilities from classes really nothing more. They are not there to kill the NM or Boss just there to show you that things are coming along. I do find it funny people hate TERA and some GW2 for reasons like combat not that fluid and storylines. Then come here and say they want the things in game that they did not like from other games but somehow having it in ARR makes it better? Such silliness. The game will act more or less like XI with a few tweeks like full TP at start of battles. Crafting is crafting get stuff , combine stuff , make stuff its that way in all mmos. Questing will be like any FF great storylines but now you earn XP and choices of items alongside gil. It will still have the same roam around one of the known 40 zones and kill at will without being told to. You can still form parties and go kill random things , chocobos YOU raise can fight at your side. Adding back the AH hope its like XIs . Now when we can sit back and just look at the game for what it is , rather then what its not. You won't be disappointed unless you like or want to be. I for one am excited and can't wait until it comes out.

• MethiosMethios Member Posts: 157
    Watching this video reminds me of FF12 in a good way.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Game looks great and I cant wait for it.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    The game sure looks good. I'll say that much,  like I've did it before, but not looking that good. To many spell effects though.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    Originally posted by Epic1oots
    So excited! But why is the dragoon tanking!??? is he tank specced?? Video looks smooth, hopefully its really smooth.

The dragoon was the only melee class available in alpha.