Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Paid posters "Shills" and marketing.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Posts: 14,847Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by XAPGames

All they are doing is injecting advertising into a media channel, and media channels in general are already packed with ads.  Of course the practice hurts companies that sell advertising, but that's not on topic.

That is a genuinely interesting point.  Sites like this one that are trying to make money by selling advertisements need for marketers to put their money into buying ads from sites like this one rather than putting it into paying shills.  I don't know how that plays out in what they'll do in the real world about it, but they certainly have stronger incentives to hate paid shills than random gamers do.

• NBlitzNBlitz ZwollePosts: 1,904Member
    Originally posted by PWN_FACE
    Originally posted by NBlitz
    Originally posted by apocoluster
    (...) Job is a job yall.  (...)

Hear, hear.

This was a common view expressed during the Nuremberg trials, as well.  I wouldn't put being a forum shill on the same level, of course. Same principle, though.

Too far, sir, too far.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo LondonPosts: 3,219Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by allendale5

Sooner or later the game that is being talked about on the thread will speak for itself. I always suspect shills, especially on sites like amazon etc where you see glowing reviews and then you check the reviewer's other posts and find out he or she is 5 starring the same company's products.  

Generally I think shills only have a minor influence anyway. As above, sooner or later the game will start talking. But lol, I like these "Reds Under the Beds"  threads. Propaganda is usually too narrow to be interesting anyway.

• MikeBMikeB Community Manager Queens, NYPosts: 5,752Administrator Uncommon

If you suspect another user is shilling on our forums (and its not blatantly obvious), please e-mail me at mikeb AT mmorpg DOT com with any evidence you have and I'll look into it. If it's extremely obvious, just report it and our moderators will take care of it.

Michael "MikeB" Bitton
    Community Manager
    Twitter: @eMikeB

This discussion has been closed.