Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The WARZ got one thing right

I played the warz for about 6 weeks. On the whole I didn't like it. At best it can be called a mediocre FPS. At worst it can be called a misdemeanor and lawsuit bait. But there was one thing I liked. Fear. This was the first game I played in years that made me nervous. It wasn't the Zombies of course, they are a minor threat. It was partly the other players and partly the death penalty. Dying was a major hassle. When you died you lost all of your gear, when you respawned all you would have was a small backpack. There was full looting {one of the reasons PVP was so vicious}. And on top of that you couldn't  use that character again for an hour, you would have to switch to another. Dying was a MAJOR PAIN IN THE A@@ !

And that was the thing they got right. It added a real sense of danger to the game play. When you got into a fight with other players it was exciting. There was real loss involved, not permadeath {although that was an option called hard core}, but serious inconvenience. I think this is something a lot of games miss. I think Death should be more than just a slight delay in your level grind, it should be somthing to avoid at all costs. What do you think ?

Comments

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    You are right. I was pretty afraid and fearful the gamemaker would triple charge me so I opted out on buying it. I guess I'm a carebear like that
  • Oracle_FefeOracle_Fefe Member CommonPosts: 221
    Originally posted by lostscout5

I played the warz for about 6 weeks. On the whole I didn't like it. At best it can be called a mediocre FPS. At worst it can be called a misdemeanor and lawsuit bait. But there was one thing I liked. Fear. This was the first game I played in years that made me nervous. It wasn't the Zombies of course, they are a minor threat. It was partly the other players and partly the death penalty. Dying was a major hassle. When you died you lost all of your gear, when you respawned all you would have was a small backpack. There was full looting {one of the reasons PVP was so vicious}. And on top of that you couldn't  use that character again for an hour, you would have to switch to another. Dying was a MAJOR PAIN IN THE A@@ !

And that was the thing they got right. It added a real sense of danger to the game play. When you got into a fight with other players it was exciting. There was real loss involved, not permadeath {although that was an option called hard core}, but serious inconvenience. I think this is something a lot of games miss. I think Death should be more than just a slight delay in your level grind, it should be somthing to avoid at all costs. What do you think ?

They got that right because DayZ already had that right for them (besides the hour death thing, which they changed to respawn faster by spending more in game currency if I recall.)

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

What do I think?

That you essentially just described everything that is done within Day Z, but Day Z does it all better. Player spawning is randomized so you can't just camp a single spot for as long as you like, you still have full loot free for all PvP, and death is just as permanent in Day Z.

Plus, you don't have a cash shop selling players healing items and ammo, completely negating any actual form of "survival". Also, Day Z is being developed by a competent group and backed by a respected studio. War Z is nothing but a group of hacks cashing in on the "Z" fame by hastily repurposing their other failing FPS into a shoddy wannabe.

Kind of like that "Zombie" movie Uwe Boll is making.

• fernetekfernetek Member Posts: 61
    Originally posted by Starpower
    You are right. I was pretty afraid and fearful the gamemaker would triple charge me so I opted out on buying it. I guess I'm a carebear like that

I must be pretty hardcore since I bought the game...

On topic, I refuse to give those ****wads any credit. Any good features the game had DayZ already had.

• ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448

I played the warz for about 6 weeks. On the whole I didn't like it. 

You played a game that you didn't like for SIX WEEKS? You must have a lot of free time.

• lostscout5lostscout5 Member Posts: 57
    I didn't play DAYZ. Didn't see the point of buying the  Arma 2 just so I could play a mod for it. I only found out that WarZ was a crappy rip off later. My bad. But every thing I said about death still applies.
    Originally posted by ironhelix

I played the warz for about 6 weeks. On the whole I didn't like it. 

You played a game that you didn't like for SIX WEEKS? You must have a lot of free time.

Dummy me kept hoping they might fix at least some of the issues with it.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    I didn't play DAYZ. Didn't see the point of buying the  Arma 2 just so I could play a mod for it. I only found out that WarZ was a crappy rip off later. My bad. But every thing I said about death still applies.

Well in all fairness, there is far less point in buying a "game" that is a total rip off, of a mod for another game. 

Even more fun, War Z is a mod.  WarZ is War Inc.  War inc. is a crappy little fps.  Anyways they took it, and modded it, and claimed it was an entirely new game that had been in development for years when in fact sure.....if you took the dev time for War Inc. combined with their little WarZ modding job, then the combined dev time for both would be a couple of years probably. 

The shame here is, Arma 2 is a VASTLY far superior game compared to War Inc.  and Day Z is a vastly superior mod compared to WarZ. 

Now I'm not trying to give you a hard time.  Or berate you.  Not at all.  But what you did was not see the point in buying Arma 2 just to play a mod, and instead bought a stand alone game that was just a mod of a really crappy fps called War Inc.  In other words Arma 2 and its Day Z mod, is the real deal.  WarZ is the generic rip off brand.  WarZ is the shady dude on the street corner selling those "real" rolex watches.  Honest.  They're totally real. 

Yes thank you, I know all of that NOW. I didn't at the time. I was hoping to talk about the fear of death {or lack there of}, not beat the dead horse some more.

Oh and Brown coats rule !  image

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

No reason to worry, it is one of the reasons I'm hesitant on getting DayZ as well, because I don't want to have to buy Arma just to play Day Z.

Which is why its nice that they are actually making a standalone client for Day Z. Which, also, should help fix some of the issues within the current version of it, since they've been pushing the limits apparently with Arma 2's modding capabilities, as well as the engine itself.

• atuerstaratuerstar Member Posts: 234

Team Fortress started as a mod for Quake.

Enemy Territory was a freeware addition to Wolfenstein.

Freeworld: Tides of War is a complete star wars mod for Freelancer.

DayZ is a mod for Arma2.

SMP2.4 is a revolutionary assembly of mods for Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl.

Some of the best games ive ever played have all been mods on their original games - which is why I consider your outlook to be a very sad one indeed.

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271
    Originally posted by atuerstar

Team Fortress started as a mod for Quake.

Enemy Territory was a freeware addition to Wolfenstein.

Freeworld: Tides of War is a complete star wars mod for Freelancer.

DayZ is a mod for Arma2.

SMP2.4 is a revolutionary assembly of mods for Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl.

Some of the best games ive ever played have all been mods on their original games - which is why I consider your outlook to be a very sad one indeed.

Don't forget Counter-Strike, originally a mod for Half-Life. Also Natural Selection (just bought NS2 on sale on Steam).

In fact, many mods that *didn't* turn into standalone games are still amazing to play.

It's sad publishers decided to kill the modding scene by disallowing custom maps (activision), private servers etc. Death of an era (and yes, I know, there's still mods, but come on... not nearly on the scale there used to be).

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Yes thank you, I know all of that NOW. I didn't at the time. I was hoping to talk about the fear of death {or lack there of}, not beat the dead horse some more.

Oh and Brown coats rule !  image

Well as far as fear of death is concerned, or death penalties in general, its something I've wished for in mmorpgs for years, at least in regards to PVP if nothing else. 

Not concerning even the fear factor and that adrenaline rush, I'd like to see battles that are meaningful.  How do you win a battle really?  Well you kill the other guys hoping that as much of your own army is left standing as possible.   In most mmos there's really nothing like that.  Battles are won in other wonky ways I guess.  Such as capturing "points".  Or just killing the other players enough times that a cap is hit, and then the match is over.  I've always found this incredibly agitating. 

In world PVP it can be even more wonky.  You kill a player, but he just respawns and comes immediately right back.  Then you are killed and do the same and you end up beating each other over the noggin for the next two hours with literally no real consequences. 

Heck man, even in Valhala, dead warriors fight in epic battles, but they don't rez until the end of the day.  I mean, even mythology of all things kind of incorporated the fact that in the land of dead warriors, there'd have to be a time limit on them coming back to life or they would just be fighting pointlessly. 

I understand too harsh of penalties can be seriously agitating but I still wish mmo's would find a way to incorporate lasting deaths regarding PVP.  Anything.  Please.  Because one thing I don't like about mmo's is that I find PVP to be lackluster.  It doesn't give me an adrenaline rush, it doesn't excite me all that much, and to me its always felt cheap because no one really dies, and instead we're just standing around in spots to capture "points" before the guys you just slaughtered come rushing back nearly instantly to do the same to you. 

So yea, WarZ probably did get that right, even if it was entirely borrowed.  Better to say DayZ got it right.  But either way I get where you are coming from completely and I'm getting very impatient waiting for mmo's to figure a way, to create meaningful, dangerous, and epic PVP that means something if you get killed, just once.  Because in life, once is all it takes.