Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: New Beta Roadmap Released

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

FFXIV's Producer and Director, Naoki Yoshida, just released an updated roadmap for the relaunch of FFXIV: A Realm Reborn. The schedule has changed a bit from the previous incarnation, but it's all in the best interest of the game's second chance to impress the world.  Read on for details.

The beta testing application site opens in early January, and the full details of the roadmap can be found on the game's official Lodestone site.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    cool. so mid 2013 release then. i'm looking foward to arr mostly to see if they can pull it off.
  • MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712
    Cant wait :) I am really liking the direction 2.0 is taking

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

As a Legacy STatus member with dibs on phase 1... i approve of this message.

• SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599
    So glad I have legacy :D!

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

• MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712
    Nvm :)

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Housing, level sync, and structured PvP?

Didn't know any of those features were going to be in XIV.

Nice... hopefully can get my paws on a beta key in a few months!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Housing, level sync, and structured PvP?

Didn't know any of those features were going to be in XIV.

Nice... hopefully can get my paws on a beta key in a few months!

Housing is a great idea,i also heard it will be sort of liek Archeage and have outside plots/gardens.However,it shoud lahve been there on release,that is a sign the developer as i already knew for past 3-4 years has become very greedy and releasing unfinished content.

Level sync ,again what was the hold up?

PVp imo is ALWAYS done god awful and will be a negative on anything positive the game is doing.Their direction to be yet anotehr WOW copy cat,is frustrating as heck.

IMO it  was an absolute terrible rendition of FFXI,even with improvements,it's whoel design does nothing to curb me from a much better product in FFXi.

The Company ideas are the worst,here they are trying top copy cat the trends ,yet are creating ideas that enforce large group content.I wish they would pay attention,the majority and i mean a LARGE majority want solo.I do NOTY want solo, but i do want to see NOTHING resembling Leves/dailies or Raids,i want top see what has PROVEN to work ,three to 6 man group content.

Most of all i want to see a stop to over used menus and forcing too many clicks.Fishing for example ,NEEDS to FUN ,not more clicks and menus.FFXI fishing was a boring start,but it had substance and depth,it just needed graphics and FUN mechanics.

TP system in FFXI was imo the best design in combat over any game,the Renkai system also great,all they had to do was tweak and improve the depth of it in FFXIV.What they did was ruin combat in FFXiv .

I am not really surprised art the poor design decision,it is not supposed to please me but instead please whomever they think they are catering to.I have seen and played the FF franchise forever,i have not agreed with many of the games,but i did soprt of like X and the FFFXi predecessor FFV.I actually could not stand FFVII while that is the game that saved Sqaure Enix from bankruptcy,so you can see how people have a huge contrast in likes and dislikes.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AalamrAalamr Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Lucky I have legacy status but that's a pretty big kick in the teeth to alpha testers who actually gave productive input rather than treat it as early access.
  • zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    Originally posted by Aalamr
    Lucky I have legacy status but that's a pretty big kick in the teeth to alpha testers who actually gave productive input rather than treat it as early access.

A lot of the good alphas would have legacy I guess (not me alas), but we don't want too much exposer to the beta, it now seems will have a lot more of the content in each phase now than we thought, which makes the risk of beta burn-out much higher. Even those alphas that did indeed treat the alpha as early accsess, and worse broke NDA to bad mouth and pre-judge the game (you know who you are) may change their minds if they get into beta and see a fuller version of ARR.

If Yoshi and his team manage to get all those things listed into each phase I'll be very impressed.

• AalamrAalamr Member UncommonPosts: 98
    If you can get past the fact that it's another theme park it really is a great game. Anyone who complains about it being a themepark clearly hasn't been following ARR at all.
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Didnt know about the housing system and PvP, looks good. This will be P2P or B2P, i remember someone talking about B2P model thats why i ask. 
  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    So far the more I see the videos released the more this game looks like all the other MMOs out there, but with a very tainted past to recover from. I loved FFXI for many years and bought FFXIV but as many was sadly burnt by an unfinished mess. I will wait and see when ARR is launched or beta to make my final judgement, but going the path of WoW was not what I had hoped for the "new" FF.

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586
    Glorious.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,360
    level sync? fuck yeah!
  • PhramePhrame Member Posts: 29

I'm curious: what's so exciting about level sync?

Phase 4 being an Open Beta is good I guess, people will get to try the game out before deciding to purchase.

• Majin_JubeiMajin_Jubei Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by Phrame

I'm curious: what's so exciting about level sync?

Phase 4 being an Open Beta is good I guess, people will get to try the game out before deciding to purchase.

Makes finding/making parties a bit easier as people outside your level range (ie those who are higher than you, or in some cases lower if you wish) can still group with you. 

Driven: It's 8 character slots per server not 6.

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

Definately not holding my breath for this one. Seems they've gone from a confused mess of a game to a straight up WoW clone based in a Final Fantasy world.

Hopefully they'll prove me wrong. My inner Nostalgian cries that the Final Fantasy franchise has gone so downhill in recent years. 

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    Originally posted by umcorian

Definately not holding my breath for this one. Seems they've gone from a confused mess of a game to a straight up WoW clone based in a Final Fantasy world.

Hopefully they'll prove me wrong. My inner Nostalgian cries that the Final Fantasy franchise has gone so downhill in recent years. 

Incorperating elements of standard (or WoW if you like) mmos was what players wanted after the alien state of XIV at launch, but there are a lot of elements that are not WoW like. If it still turns out to be too much WoW for some, its a price they have to pay to prevent a repeat of last time.

This isnt like the makers of Rift or SWTOR that played it too safe with 2 or 3 WoW elements too many, even for many WoW fans, Yoshida and his team are learning from scratch in an out-of-touch culture and need a solid mainstream base to work off.

• shane239shane239 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Originally posted by Epic1oots
    Originally posted by atticusbc
    cool. so mid 2013 release then. i'm looking foward to arr mostly to see if they can pull it off.

Highly doubt its gonna be mid 2013. At most probably late march.

I would not expect this game before E3. Logically speaking that is the perfect launch for US and EU. Beta phase 1 only starts in mid Feb and could last 4 weeks. So I beleve earliest launch by that roadmap would be Late April early May. And I would not expect that. Yoshi-P will take his time with the release to make sure everything is absolutly correct!

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Originally posted by zevni78
    Originally posted by umcorian

Incorperating elements of standard (or WoW if you like) mmos was what players wanted after the alien state of XIV at launch, but there are a lot of elements that are not WoW like. If it still turns out to be too much WoW for some, its a price they have to pay to prevent a repeat of last time.

This isnt like the makers of Rift or SWTOR that played it too safe with 2 or 3 WoW elements too many, even for many WoW fans, Yoshida and his team are learning from scratch in an out-of-touch culture and need a solid mainstream base to work off.

Thing is, most WoW clones have done pretty poorly. To call Rift a success is probably overselling it and SWTOR was nothing short of a catastrophic flop that lost EA millions (last I heard, it was about 400 million to produce/market). 

The fact this is a WoW clone after factoring in the cost of redevelopment is probably going to cost  Square Enix so much they'll never think of developing an MMO again.  

• illutianillutian Member UncommonPosts: 343
    ooo, PVP. I may have to look into playing this game when it's released :D

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

• Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by atticusbc

They have no choice but to pull it off. Or else they can forget about AAR and foucs on ARR... A Reputation Restored.