Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will a tablet era ruin PC gaming?

DrCokePepsiDrCokePepsi Member UncommonPosts: 177

A new generation of technology and mobile devices/ gaming have entered us into a new era of tablets. These new devices are soon to outdate,  and make obsolete, the desktops we currently use and most likely laptops. Why purchase a bulky, immobile machine with no more capability than the future tablets to come, which have an absolute potential to become just as capable as any PC now.

The console gamers are probably going to be the only group to fear the coming of the tablet era. Well, i say, have no fear. My prediction formed by my crude knowledge of tablet capability and my understanding that the developers can accomplish what seems completely possible by my standards, is that the tablets will either come euipped or come with the capability of an attachment keyboard and mouse, and will be made to welcome home any pc gamers with the need of a keyboard or mouse. We've   already seen an addon keyboard with a new tablet model (who' s name i cannot remember) and any tablet capable of strong internet connection and adequate graphics capabilities should have no less than a comfortable setting for the common PC gamer. 

Not that I' ve feared, but i have often wondered in what direction the tablets will turn when they become as powerful as people want. I am optimistic it will be a good experience powering up some WoW, Asherons Call, or even Darkfall on a tablet.That day will be an interesting and enjoyable day. 

Never fear, your dream MMO will be here....
just give me a decade or two to finely hone my Game development
and design abilities as well as start a Game Design Studio.
Thank you for your patience.

Comments

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

It is a fad, and honestly I seen the stuff on tablets its low end res stuff.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Unless tablets somehow mimic keyboards and mice for game input, no.

But the hardware that tablets have is not going to make laptops or desktops obsolete. People will do Tablet Things on Tablets, and PC Things on PCs. The only loser is going to be consoles because it doesn't look like consoles will be competitive with PCs out of the gate like they usually are. Even there, they won't be losers because of tablets, they'll be losers because of PCs and because the extra functions like surfing the internet will be found in the televisions themselves, or in cheap, purpose built boxes like BlueRay players.

** edit **
    I have a tablet, and I like my tablet, but it's not going to replace my PC or even my work laptop anytime soon.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ololuluololulu Member UncommonPosts: 164

Most of the quality games that come with good 3D graphics demand good hardware.

What we see everyday is that hardware gets better and better but that usually goes with bigger power consumption which tends to make hardware hotter and to cool that we need better ventilation system.

Today there is no ventilation in tablets which shows how powerful they really are- sure you can run gta3 even on smartphone but still that's a long way to go.

Second aspect is that tablet gaming still needs to figure out the best solution for controllers. If tablet needs mouse and keyboard then why not use laptop- its pretty much the same and has more horsepower.

Next problem is battery- since hardware takes more and more power we need battery to feed it but the battery tecnology is so far behind. Are you sure you want to sit at home playing with your tablet instead of pc that is 10x more powerful?

I do not own a console and i never have so i can't comment on this one.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Tablets are never going to replace desktops.  Rather, they're going to supplement desktops.

Assuming that Moore's Law continues to scale as it has for the last several years, tablets will catch up to today's desktops in performance sometime in the 2030s.  Manufacturing such chips will require manipulating individual atoms, and would be so sensitive that if a single atom is out of place, the chip doesn't work.  It's not likely that Moore's Law will survive that long, and even if it did, power scaling could fail long before then.

Right now, tablets are really gimpy on the graphics side, and the only ones that support anything remotely resembling modern graphics are a few AMD-based tablets, plus a few Intel Ivy Bridge-based tablets with a 17 W TDP that makes them far too hot to reasonably be used in a tablet.

But tablets with hardware that is actually decently capable and comparable to a low end laptop are coming next year.  AMD Temash will probably be a nifty tablet chip.  Nvidia Tegra 4 and PowerVR Rogue (series 6) will also support the full OpenGL 4, so if you pair the relatively higher end variants of those with a quad core ARM Cortex A15 processor, you'll end up with a decently capable tablet chip.

If you want to do much with graphics in a tablet, supporting the latest APIs is absolutely essential.  Newer APIs give you more ways to offload work from the CPU to the GPU, and that offers enormous gains in power efficiency.  In desktops, you can use DirectX 9.0c, do a bunch of work on the CPU, and just throw enough brute force hardware at it that it works.  In tablets, you don't have a bunch of brute force hardware to throw at a problem, so you have to offload as much stuff onto the GPU in as efficient of ways as possible if you want to do 3D graphics.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Can anyone name a suppliment device killing a main device industry? That is what the tablet is, a suppliment. Now, the LAPTOP industry may die from it...but not the desktop industry, desktops are way ahead of the game in terms of power, upgradablity and variety of what it can do.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

What I expect is a console / tablet hybrid designed for gaming.  The tech is very close if not there already.

What will it do to MMORPGs?  No clue.  I run Pocket Legends on my droid tablet.  Just kind of hard to chat with no keyboard, and buttons to mash are on screen.  Other than those two thins, it's not very different.  Sub-par graphics, but I don't mind if gameplay is good.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

Originally posted by XAPGames
    What I expect is a console / tablet hybrid designed for gaming.  The tech is very close if not there already. What will it do to MMORPGs?  No clue.  I run Pocket Legends on my droid tablet.  Just kind of hard to chat with no keyboard, and buttons to mash are on screen.  Other than those two thins, it's not very different.  Sub-par graphics, but I don't mind if gameplay is good.

I don't think it has that much to do with the graphics of tablets The graphics are "good enough" already. They aren't great, but they aren't horrible either. It's the interface to the games that's going to make a difference.

The tablet interface is very simple. This limits the complexity of the actions a player can make their character engage in. How many available buttons is a player going to be able to press on a tablet? Twelve? Players in SWToR were complaining because the default number of available action buttons was twenty four.

The tablet interface lacks any tactile feedback other than vibration. In order to see if the player's fingers are positioned correctly, they must look at their fingers. Players cannot rest their hands in default positions over on screen keys either. This will register to the game as a long press. Players have to hover at least one hand over the screen, without knowing if their fingers are hovering in the right spot. It's not optimal at all.

This puts a limitation on tablet gaming that doesn't exist with PCs or even consoles. I've played those tablet MMORPG and the simplicity of the game has nothing to do with the graphics. Increasing the processing power or the graphic power of the platform isn't going to substantially improve the limitations in the interface.

• RollerratRollerrat Member UncommonPosts: 200
    In short I see tablet gaming the same as other portable gaming platforms. Their marketing audience differs radically from desktop gaming. So I don't see it ruining PC gaming at all.
  • korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

gaming on tablets is not nice, I always struggle with controls and stuff... I find it frustrating rather than what it's supposed to be - fun.

So I don't see tablet gaming going anywhere near that actual word. 

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

Originally posted by adeptuz
    In short I see tablet gaming the same as other portable gaming platforms. Their marketing audience differs radically from desktop gaming. So I don't see it ruining PC gaming at all.

Tha Winnah?

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Voted Yes but ...only IF tablets ever outpace PCs for capabitlity.  Seems like it will be a while if ever..

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

Originally posted by apocoluster
    Voted Yes but ...only IF tablets ever outpace PCs for capabitlity.  Seems like it will be a while if ever..

Processing power is determined by the amount of space you have to pack transistors into. All other things being equal, the larger processor will be faster. There may be a time when tablets are "fast enough" for general computing, but the larger form factor things will be faster, have more storage and will capable of doing more general purpose work. It's going to be a very long time before processors are so fast that having a faster one doesn't matter.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by apocoluster

Processing power is determined by the amount of space you have to pack transistors into. All other things being equal, the larger processor will be faster. There may be a time when tablets are "fast enough" for general computing, but the larger form factor things will be faster, have more storage and will capable of doing more general purpose work. It's going to be a very long time before processors are so fast that having a faster one doesn't matter.

As far as die size goes, you can make a tablet chip as big as a desktop chip.  The die in an Apple A5 (iPad 3), for example, is nearly as big as the die in a Core i7-3770K, and likely larger than the die in an A6-5400K.  The reason you can't put those other chips in a tablet is due to power consumption, not die size.

Allowing more power consumption will probably always allow for desktops to be dramatically faster than tablets.  It would take some radical and revolutionary changes--most notably including completely replacing transistors by something else--to have any chance of changing that.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    I think tablet gaming will become it's own form of entertainment and not a replacement for PCs ior consoles.This will happen faster if developers would stop making crappy ports to handheld devices that don't fit the mediumand concentrate on developing games that paly to the platforms strengths like touch screens for example.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Originally posted by DrCokePepsi  ...

yes and no. PC gaming will die namely because industry as a whole (hardware and software) are pushing gaming away from PC gaming. Its more of a supplyside issue than demand I think. So its not the tablet specifically but rather a lack of drive on taking the PC to the full extent possible

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

Tablets are an adequate eplacement for your everyday stuff.  Email, web browsing, and casual/minor gaming.  They aren't meant to replace desktops. 

I have a Nexus 7 Tablet.  I love the thing, but it in no way replaces my primary computer.  I can't play Planetside 2 on my tablet.  I can't really do the spreadsheets that I NEED to do on my Tablet (although, I can design some).  I can do some emails, but really long ones require a real word processor and keyboard.  While Swype and other quick typing programs help out, they come nowhere near the 80 WPM that I can type normally.

I can however play Minecraft on it.  Stream my NBA League Pass, check my email and Facebook, and download my college textbooks.

Those that do somehow to manage to replace their desktop with a tablet argueably didn't really need a desktop to begin with.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Tablets largely suck for complex gaming.  If tablets will have any impact on PC gaming, especially with MMOs, it will be to extend the game experience outside of the PC on a limited bases.  For example, apps that allow players to chat with their guild mates, craft, follow players on game maps, maybe even watch their friends play at some point.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Originally posted by Quizzical
    Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by apocoluster Voted Yes but ...only IF tablets ever outpace PCs for capabitlity.  Seems like it will be a while if ever..
    As far as die size goes, you can make a tablet chip as big as a desktop chip.  The die in an Apple A5 (iPad 3), for example, is nearly as big as the die in a Core i7-3770K, and likely larger than the die in an A6-5400K.  The reason you can't put those other chips in a tablet is due to power consumption, not die size.

Allowing more power consumption will probably always allow for desktops to be dramatically faster than tablets.  It would take some radical and revolutionary changes--most notably including completely replacing transistors by something else--to have any chance of changing that.

I remember you talking about this in regards to the Windows RT devices. The battery life was much shorter because the processors used a lot more power.

Wouldn't heat dissipation be an issue as well? Getting something like desktop performance is going to lead to something like desktop levels of heat generation.

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

yes and no. PC gaming will die namely because industry as a whole (hardware and software) are pushing gaming away from PC gaming. Its more of a supplyside issue than demand I think. So its not the tablet specifically but rather a lack of drive on taking the PC to the full extent possible

PC gaming is the only sector or the PC market that is actually picking up and selling more stuff. The basic PC market took a hit and the laptop market took a hit, but the gaming PC market is actually growing. I'm sure Microsoft and Sony would love to see things all go to a console, but there's a limit to how much they can push things that way.

** edit **

A reference article on PC Gamer: http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/20/next-gen-consoles-will-struggle-to-beat-pc-say-industry-insiders/

** edit edit **
    I put that link there so you'd know I wasn't just making stuff up. There are more articles online about the PC gaming market growing instead of shrinking, even with the other economic stuff going on.

• iamrtaiamrta Member UncommonPosts: 165

"Will a tablet era ruin PC gaming?"

Just received a Nexus 7 yesterday, my first tablet. Spent today unlocking and rooting. And I say...no it won't. 

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

PC gaming is the only sector or the PC market that is actually picking up and selling more stuff. The basic PC market took a hit and the laptop market took a hit, but the gaming PC market is actually growing. I'm sure Microsoft and Sony would love to see things all go to a console, but there's a limit to how much they can push things that way.

** edit **

A reference article on PC Gamer: http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/20/next-gen-consoles-will-struggle-to-beat-pc-say-industry-insiders/

This also has to do with an inevitable limit on console games.  The hardware gets old faster than the makers can justify forcing people to upgrade, and the console game developers are coding for a specific hardware target in a lot of cases.  The best games on the 360 look like arse compared to what a medium-powered gaming PC can do.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Tablet gaming...

I'd honestly rather bust out the old NES / SNES.

Tablet gaming / Twitter / facebook = Social Bacteria.

Originally posted by iamrta

"Will a tablet era ruin PC gaming?"

Just received a Nexus 7 yesterday, my first tablet. Spent today unlocking and rooting. And I say...no it won't. 

I love my Nexus 7.  Such a great little device.  I unlocked and rooted mine too, but I'm not going to use a different ROM.  We are on 4.2 now while most other devices are on much older versions.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    you guys didn't hear about the Angry Birds mmo? 

Originally posted by MindTrigger
    Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by SEANMCAD   Originally posted by DrCokePepsi  ...
    PC gaming is the only sector or the PC market that is actually picking up and selling more stuff. The basic PC market took a hit and the laptop market took a hit, but the gaming PC market is actually growing. I'm sure Microsoft and Sony would love to see things all go to a console, but there's a limit to how much they can push things that way. ** edit ** A reference article on PC Gamer: http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/20/next-gen-consoles-will-struggle-to-beat-pc-say-industry-insiders/  
    This also has to do with an inevitable limit on console games.  The hardware gets old faster than the makers can justify forcing people to upgrade, and the console game developers are coding for a specific hardware target in a lot of cases.  The best games on the 360 look like arse compared to what a medium-powered gaming PC can do.

Yeah, I kind of think the real loser in all of this is going to be console gaming. At least in terms of specific companies having a console. The people who want bigger, better, faster, more are going to go with PCs, and everyone else is going to buy a box that does all your media streaming, general web surfing and email, along with a bunch of games. The people who don't care about games will use regular remote controls, and the people who do will buy blue tooth game controllers. It'll be a general purpose entertainment console instead of a general purpose computer. Something like that anyway.