Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Current population of players in game

Comments

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    The problem with xfire is that you do not know if you are comparing apples with apples or apples with oranges. If xfire sees a 75% drop for a certain game, but those 75% are hardcore player whilst the game is marketed for casual players than you can not conclude that 75% of the casual player also stopped playing. This is why xfire will never give any remotely accurate numbers for anything. Just a shame the pro xfire people refuses to acknowledge this. If xfire is correct than it is just a coincidence and not because they deliver accurate statistics.

As for GW2 the population certainly is down. It is just very hard to say how much down it is due to levelscalling, which spreads out the population a lot more than any other themepark out there. Coupled with WvW, SPvP and dungeons it will just get very hard to tell from looking outside in. All I can say is. It is harder to find groups for dungeons, which might not mean anything actually as I run guild groups quite often so others probably do as well. My server has almost no queue for WvW. I still encounter people throughout several midlevel areas, which is a good thing.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by vzerov
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Based on XFire numbers I would say that the game has about 1.6-1.9M total playerbase.

XFire is just a useless number SINCE we don't know the % of players in GW2 who use it. It could be 0.1% or 10%. Until we know, can't really say anything - this is on ANY GAME also.

We do not need this number.

We know GW2 had about 2-2.5mil players on launch.

We know the number of xfire users who played GW2 on launch (15-16k)

We know the number of xfire users who play GW2 now (3-3.5k)

Therefore we can calculate APPROXIMATELY how many players GW2 has right now: 

First let's make 2-2.5mil 2.25, 15-16k -> 15.5, 3-3.5k -> 3.25k

if 15.5k is 2.25mil, how much is 3.25k?

x -> 3.25k

2.25mil -> 15.5k

x= 3250*2250000 / 15500 = 471774.2

about 471.774 people are still playing GW2 on a daily basis

We don't know that. You are assuming and you know what they say about opinions and assuming - everyone has one.

XFire is a measure of XFire users not an individual game's population. Your logic is off because you are using presales numbers to assume the game now has the same amount - I have no clue how many are playing GW2 - nor do I care.

Let us leave XFire out of this discussion as they are flawed numbers from the start.

It's not an opinion.... seriousily, its like saying statistc or math is just someone's opinion.

It is because if the assumption is wrong - so is the statistics. A book for you to read - it is an interesting read......

The book is only the arthor's opinion you know that right?

You dont believe math and statistics because someone said those are lies?  Sounds logical enough.

I live with math and stats everyday being in science. They can be manipulated to say anything you want them to and that is the truth. Look at all the stats that were thrown around during the US Presedential election and look at how many were actually right. That is what the above book is about. Statistics mean absolutely nothing without the sample number, R(square) value and a T-test (just some statistcs need this). We never get that information, hence the statistics mean nothing (that is why good pollsters usually give sample size and the +/- value).  Statistics is one area in which numbers can be made to lie very easy.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Originally posted by RedJorge

boxsnd,

So these server status values represent players currently looged-in or number of accounts created on these servers?

I confess that it confuses me.

Best regards,

RJ

ANet is refusing to say anything about these values, but we can safely assume that they are number of accounts that have this server as their home server because they stay high even at 6 am when undenyably they are completely empty.

Nope - it is not the accounts because if it was the amounts on the servers wouldn't dip and they do. I transferred from one server to another and had to wait until the one server was at very-high population. If the servers were based on the accounts on the server, you would NEVER be able to transfer.

They are not empty - you are smoking crack again. Every city I go to, currently has an overflow server.

Here are some facts: 

It's primetime. Lion's arch is full (overflow), the center WvW map is full, the other maps are half full. lowbie and level 80 zones are well populated, the inbetween zones are almost empty. Server is listed as high.

It's 6 am. Lion's arch has 10 people, the central WvW map has 5 people, the others are empty. Almost all PvE zones are empty. The server is listed as high. 

Please explain how this is happening.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• vzerovvzerov Member Posts: 125
    Based on XFire numbers I would say that the game has about 1.6-1.9M total playerbase.

XFire is just a useless number SINCE we don't know the % of players in GW2 who use it. It could be 0.1% or 10%. Until we know, can't really say anything - this is on ANY GAME also.

x -> 3.25k

2.25mil -> 15.5k

We don't know that. You are assuming and you know what they say about opinions and assuming - everyone has one.

XFire is a measure of XFire users not an individual game's population. Your logic is off because you are using presales numbers to assume the game now has the same amount - I have no clue how many are playing GW2 - nor do I care.

Let us leave XFire out of this discussion as they are flawed numbers from the start.

It's not an opinion.... seriousily, its like saying statistc or math is just someone's opinion.

It is because if the assumption is wrong - so is the statistics. A book for you to read - it is an interesting read......

You dont believe math and statistics because someone said those are lies?  Sounds logical enough.

I live with math and stats everyday being in science. They can be manipulated to say anything you want them to and that is the truth. Look at all the stats that were thrown around during the US Presedential election and look at how many were actually right. That is what the above book is about. Statistics mean absolutely nothing without the sample number, R(square) value and a T-test (just some statistcs need this). We never get that information, hence the statistics mean nothing (that is why good pollsters usually give sample size and the +/- value).  Statistics is one area in which numbers can be made to lie very easy.

I dont think you really live with math and stats, since you said the estimation just someone's "opinion", while using wrong assumption in statics and opinions are two totally different things. You also said xfire numbers means nothing because we dont know it presents 0.1% of players or 10%, which is also plain wrong.

Kinda funny every single one said xfire numbers are useless based on totally different reasons, while the only true reason is they dont want to believe it.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by NBlitz
    Originally posted by RedJorge

boxsnd,

So these server status values represent players currently looged-in or number of accounts created on these servers?

I confess that it confuses me.

Best regards,

RJ

ANet is refusing to say anything about these values, but we can safely assume that they are number of accounts that have this server as their home server because they stay high even at 6 am when undenyably they are completely empty.

Nope - it is not the accounts because if it was the amounts on the servers wouldn't dip and they do. I transferred from one server to another and had to wait until the one server was at very-high population. If the servers were based on the accounts on the server, you would NEVER be able to transfer.

They are not empty - you are smoking crack again. Every city I go to, currently has an overflow server.

It's confusing reading different reports on the forums (official and elsewhere).

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/938738-guild-wars-2/64788109

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Server-Populations/first (post made by CC Eva)

Many have taken it to mean "it's a cap on total registered accounts regardless of whether they're logged in or not."

So what is it then?

I think it's a combination of both.  I think they are using the home server as a base number and adding the currently logged in users on top of that.  This way it shows both a strong number for their status and changes  depending on time of day, etc.

While nobody can say with certainty, I think it is a combination as well. The one thing I really don't beleive it to be is some Anet coverup to fool the playerbase that the population is higher than it is. Wha't's the point and is it really worth the backlash should they be caught doing shady tactics? I personally feel that it is listed as such to protect them should they release a holiday event or expansion and see a large increase in returning playerbase. If this happens it could cause problems with their servers. I only think this because it isn't a sub based game so everyones accounts are still conciddered active. I do dtill find it funny when the tinfoil hats are donned and I read some of the slander. Makes me smile and cringe at the same time.

Seeing as how Anet hasn't explained the status of servers, I can only take population as I personally see it and I know there are always plenty of people on when I do pop in. Now I can't get some dungeon love to save my life, but I don't immidiately jump to a population problem, but more a design issue and the fact that people have already devoured the content and moved on until more comes out leaving me in thier dust as it were.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

The numbers XFire gives are skewed.  As mentioned, a certain player demographic uses the program.  I don't use it, and none of my MMO playing friends or family use it (31 to 34 age group). 

Using XFire to determine MMO population is like going to a Gun Auction and asking how many people own a gun; and using those numbers ot reflect the overall gun ownership population. 

Estimations are just that, an estimation or approximate "guess" on what the real numbers should be.  They can be easily manipulated to meet the belief of the person doing the estimation. 

If 50% of XFIRE users are playing WoW, that doesn't mean that 50% of MMO players are playing WoW; nor does it reflect the population of the game.

(I use WoW as an example since it is still sadly really popular, particularly among XFIRE users.  Please note, that the 50% comment is just a number I pulled out of my rear to reflect esimations in my favor :) .)

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Originally posted by Roguewiz

The numbers XFire gives are skewed.  As mentioned, a certain player demographic uses the program.  I don't use it, and none of my MMO playing friends or family use it (31 to 34 age group). 

Using XFire to determine MMO population is like going to a Gun Auction and asking how many people own a gun; and using those numbers ot reflect the overall gun ownership population. 

Estimations are just that, an estimation or approximate "guess" on what the real numbers should be.  They can be easily manipulated to meet the belief of the person doing the estimation. 

If 50% of XFIRE users are playing WoW, that doesn't mean that 50% of MMO players are playing WoW; nor does it reflect the population of the game.

(I use WoW as an example since it is still sadly really popular, particularly among XFIRE users.  Please note, that the 50% comment is just a number I pulled out of my rear to reflect esimations in my favor :) .)

Oh man...  So many mistakes in that post. See what happens when you sleep during math class?

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

In what regard?  While my math skills are lacking, that much I know; the overall theme of my post was that XFIRE as an estimation tool is worthless, as indicated by my "Using XFire to determine MMO population is like going to a Gun Auction and asking how many people own a gun; and using those numbers ot reflect the overall gun ownership population." comment.

Logic would dictate that if people are going to a gun auction or show, that they would own guns or look to own guns.  Using those numbers to estimate gun ownership is flawed.  On that same token, using XFIRE to determin how many people are playing WoW is just as flawed.

While the idea of my comment is flawed in the regard that it is a simple yes/no for gun ownership vs. a multi-comparison for XFIRE; I still stand behind my comment that XFIRE isn't a good tool to determine MMO population.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

In what regard? 

Better, more correct, analogy would be:

Using XFire to determine MMO population is like going to a Gun Auction and asking what type of the gun people use; and using those numbers ot reflect the overall gun ownership preference.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

x -> 3.25k

2.25mil -> 15.5k

What?  Why on earth would you need an R-squared or a t-test for this type of information?  The sample size is the number of people using x-fire in a given game.  What we don't know is the population size we are taking the sample from, and that is irrelevant for any statistic.  The r-squared is an explanatory statistic explaining what % change in something can be explained by something else, how is that relevant to trends in x-fire?  You really don't need a t-test either, x-fire is more akin to a poll than anything else and you don't need anything you mentioned in polling data.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

The population may or may not be dead.

But man, the world is completely barren of people. Get past the newbie area, and I barely see anyone. I go to Lion's Arch, and that seems to be where most people stay. But, the world sure feels dead...

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Oh man...  So many mistakes in that post. See what happens when you sleep during math class?

You have an opinion like yours. Using XFire is like this Monty Python skit - meaningless - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZArgEvK2R1s

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by lantesh1

The trouble is, all of the players are in fractals and nowhere else.

While this statement is pure hyperbole it does feel truthful.

It is way harder to find groups for exp mode dungeons now.  The population in WvW is also really much smaller then normal and there are hardly any time any of the Orr citadels that remain up but there sure as hell is alot of players hanging around LA LFG for FotM.

In a sense I feel FotM is GW2's Trials of Atlantis.  I can only hope this changes once the devs get more ways to aquire ascended gear into the game.  (hopefully WvW is included in this).

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by TheScavenger

But man, the world is completely barren of people. Get past the newbie area, and I barely see anyone. I go to Lion's Arch, and that seems to be where most people stay. But, the world sure feels dead...

I was in Noob Human area, last night, and it was packed - 40 people killing the champion Troll, for example.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

I was in Noob Human area, last night, and it was packed - 40 people killing the champion Troll, for example.

thats nice. I said get past the newbie area, and I barely see anyone. I didn't say the newbie areas weren't packed.

Could just be the server I'm on, but the only time I see people is when I go to LA and see LFG spam for Ascended Gear. before that update, I saw way more people out in the world.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

I doubted xfire's stats too until Bioware announced F2P.  It's a small sample but it's pretty accurate.

The writing was on the wall when Arenanet admitted there was going to be a cash shop in GW2.  Apparently they already knew box sales alone weren't going to be enough and throwing a sub fee on it wasn't an option at that point.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by Chieftan

I doubted xfire's stats too until Bioware announced F2P.  It's a small sample but it's pretty accurate.

The writing was on the wall when Arenanet admitted there was going to be a cash shop in GW2.  Apparently they already knew box sales alone weren't going to be enough and throwing a sub fee on it wasn't an option at that point.

I am fairly sure anyone who has been looking at this game has known there would be a cashshop for a long, long time. A cash shop was not a last minute thing.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by KingJiggly
    Originally posted by ObiClownobi
    Originally posted by dlld

How do you get that number? only thing i can think of is for compare it to say wow which officially announced it has 10 million subs, it only has 6k players on xfire though, while gw2 has close to 4k, meaning gw2 should have atleast over 5 million players by that logic.

I don't think you can compare game populations via XFire, you can use the numbers to track each games population though, if you use the unique log ins rather than hours played, it is a fair bet that a game that had 5000 log ins per day and now has 2500 has suffered a loss in population, I have no idea what the numbers show for  GW2. I wouldn't bother posting on here though, if you do check it out, I believe XFire threads about an individual games population are locked/Deleted.

Xfire has been, according the mods, deemed unusable on a factual and unusable in judging population. Please refrain from talking about xfire before they close this thread down. Focus on answering ops questions (that is for all of us).

What strikes me as funny is that saying that the number of people in a race capital somehow can be used but XFire cannot. Does not make any sense to me at all.

As for how I got that number. I compared it to MMORPGs which have published their sub. numbers, such as Eve. Did not use WoW as that game is an anamoly.

That is their policy not mine. I myself do not use xfire, nor do many of my friends. It is a more of a how many harcore players are there in this game atm? Kind of thing, and seeing that gw2 is for casuals, well, it doesnt represent that casual population at all. The reason they said no xfire was to keep down the is xfire trustworthy threads that constantly popped up during swtor and early gw2 release. 

Originally posted by Gdemami

In what regard? 

Better, more correct, analogy would be:

Using XFire to determine MMO population is like going to a Gun Auction and asking what type of the gun people use; and using those numbers ot reflect the overall gun ownership preference.

Agreed.  That is a better use of my analogy.  Thank you.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

x -> 3.25k

2.25mil -> 15.5k

"let us leave xfire out of this discussion because the numbers don't favor my favorite game"

Remember when GW2 was doing better than WoW on xfire how you guys were celebrating?

Actually, more people were saying to keep xfire numbers at safe distance since it means nothing and shows pretty much nothing...

You can not calculate the way you did because you just assumed GW2 didn't sell a single copy after the initial launch sales numbers were given and that I find hard to believe since they're now smashing a bit harder on that advertising button then they did before release. :)

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    One thing you can be sure of, the number of people currently playing is nothing ANET is particularly proud of, or they would simply publish the actual numbers.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Originally posted by William12

The problem with Xfire is what age group uses it ? What type of MMO gamer uses it ?    WOW for example attracts younger players so would a game that attracts older players also attract the same % of xfire users ?

I have a 45, 41 and 69 year old using Xfire. We switched to it when MSN was having an upgrade issue, wouldn't uninstall cleanly and work. We had enough of that, so we moved to xfire to have a quick chat way between us when online. It works for us as a good replacement for quick chat. It keeping stats, a small bonus.

Nielsen has 5000 systems in the field that an idustry basis billions from it. As said, it's how stats work, Xfire are nice unbiased players that have no real tendancies other then they start up a game while xfire is running in the background. I don't know what x 1000 hours means total player wise. But a 10% gain or drop, is pretty much that.

• jmhartjmhart Member UncommonPosts: 21

The leveling up areas are pretty dead...dead enough for there not be enough people around most of the time to complete any dynamic events which is what made this game fun IMO.

Since Anet decided to reinvent dungeon running just a few months after release, all the classic dungeons are nearly impossible to get groups going for.  Everyone is running the newer mini-dungeons collectively known as Fractals of the Mist.  Worse yet they put the entrance to the thing in the main hub city, so all those top level folks don't even leave town.  They turned what started out as a more traditional themepark MMO into a lobby game just like GW1.  I didn't play GW1 because of the lack of a real 'game world' and this title is turning into more of the same.

As far as guessing at the population, there's no way to know for sure.  I agree that the server population indicators mean nothing.  They're adjusting those indicators as the population decreases to make it look more full than it really is.  Simply being in overflow for LA means nothing since that's where most of the population is standing around LFG for Fractals.  : /

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by chrismini
    Im curious as to see if this game currently has a lot of players out of most MMOs out right now, or have many people quit and the game doesnt have that long left of a life? I am looking for a game i can invest a lot of time into, and i dont want to invest time into a game thats player base will dissapear.

Has more than any game since WoW.