Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Mortal Online: First Impressions of F2P

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Now that Mortal Online has officially gone free to play, we wanted to take a second look at the game from the perspective of a F2Per. See what we discovered in our first impressions and then leave your thoughts in the comments.

Character creation is something which I feel should be refined. You go through the motions of picking a race et cetera. But then you're required to pick two sub races, but each race only has two sub-races anyway. When picking these, you're provided with no lore whatsoever on them and all it seems to do is change the look of your character, which you can then proceed to change on the next screens. To me it just feels like a lot more could be done here.  If there is more, please someone explain it to me. But the game should do a better job of it itself.

Read more of George Dimmock's Mortal Online: First Impressions of F2P.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• evemaster00evemaster00 Member Posts: 171

I didn't realise they had flying mounts in MO.

Flying pack donkey mounts at that

• BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821

Nice, I'm looking forward to this review.

• RlechotRlechot Member UncommonPosts: 25
    I started playing the game in the "safe" starter city. I stayed in the city for several days and started to really get into this game - even to the point my wife started yelling at me. During day three while in the city, some real life player came up to me and robbed me of all the money I had workd very hard to aquire. At that point I realized maybe this game isn't for me. Three days of work and some guy can just steal all my money? I get that this is supposed to be a realistic sandbox MMO, but in real life, people don't come up to me an steal all my cash while I am standing in Walmart. And if it did happen, there would be legal repercussions. In this game he stole my money and there was nothing I could do about it. I know technically I could go deposit my money I earned in my bank acount every 30 minutes, but come on. Is that realistic? I was very disappointed and instantly changed how I felt about this game. I don't want to play a game where I constantly have to be on guard and run from people everywhere I go. I need just a little more security then that when I dedicate hours of my life to a game. I can see that this game appeals to a certain very hardcore demographic as a learned first hand.
  • NacarioNacario Member UncommonPosts: 222
    Originally posted by Rlechot
    I started playing the game in the "safe" starter city. I stayed in the city for several days and started to really get into this game - even to the point my wife started yelling at me. During day three while in the city, some real life player came up to me and robbed me of all the money I had workd very hard to aquire. At that point I realized maybe this game isn't for me. Three days of work and some guy can just steal all my money? I get that this is supposed to be a realistic sandbox MMO, but in real life, people don't come up to me an steal all my cash while I am standing in Walmart. And if it did happen, there would be legal repercussions. In this game he stole my money and there was nothing I could do about it. I know technically I could go deposit my money I earned in my bank acount every 30 minutes, but come on. Is that realistic? I was very disappointed and instantly changed how I felt about this game. I don't want to play a game where I constantly have to be on guard and run from people everywhere I go. I need just a little more security then that when I dedicate hours of my life to a game. I can see that this game appeals to a certain very hardcore demographic as a learned first hand.

No, that's what you get for not listening to your wife! Had you only logged off on day two when she told you to, then you wouldn't have met that guy on day 3.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Looking fwd to the full review. Please keep it focused on the game as it exists. Your predecessor tried to gloss it over with "potential". Keep it real.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ChochChoch Member UncommonPosts: 157

Did they kill you first and still your money or was it some kind of pick-pocket trick?

• LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Seems legit. I hope you try playing with a guild as well and try this very important aspect of the game. So both solo gameplay and gameplay with others.
    Originally posted by GimiZigi

Did they kill you first and still your money or was it some kind of pick-pocket trick?

You can be a tief in MO (it's a skill you can learn), you can pick-pocket players and there's also lockpicking.

Originally posted by GimiZigi

He didn't kill me.

He just sat there at a vendor that was selling supplies. So while I was making a transaction with the vendor, he stole my money. The vendor told me that I didn't have enough money to make the transaction. I was like what the hell? How can that be? Then I went through the on screen log and found where it said "guys name" just stole all my money.

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489

Realisticly in their world you should've been able to run him down, kill him, take your money back, and his head.

There's more options than asking for people to kiss your booboo.

a yo ho ho

Originally posted by 3-4thElf

Realisticly in their world you should've been able to run him down, kill him, take your money back, and his head.

If he kills him in the city the guards will kill him on sight.

• GidionGidion Member UncommonPosts: 66

No offense but that is kinda awesome :P I never played MO but i think if you get pick-pocketed your supposed to be able to call the guard on them or kill them without getting red flagged, as long as you notice right away.

Yep, you're right.
    Originally posted by 3-4thElf

Well, not as a starting player. I was such a low level guy that defending my honor wasn't even an option. And the way the game works from what I remember is even if I was a badass, and I attacked the thief, I would have been red flagged and the guards would have killed me for attacking him.

P.S. My booboo has healed now. My kids put a ScoobyDoo bandaid on it.

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Three days of work and some guy can just steal all my money? I get that this is supposed to be a realistic sandbox MMO, but in real life, people don't come up to me an steal all my cash while I am standing in Walmart. And if it did happen, there would be legal repercussions. In this game he stole my money and there was nothing I could do about it.

How is that not realistic? You don't walk around with $10,000 in your pocket, you put your money in the bank. Where it's safe. If you didn't put it in the bank and walked around with that amount of cash you would be taking a risk of losing it.

And there are repercussions in MO, you just didn't know about them. The guy that pickpocketed you would have gone from blue to grey, meaning you could have targeted him and called the guards to kill him and loot your money from him. Point is you let him get away.

I know it's rough on new players, and that's why picpockets hang out in Fabernum, but it's a full loot open pvp game so that should tell you it's going to be about survival.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    isnt this game just about dead in the water and forced to go free to play because no one hardly plays it? with people thieving in safe zones in even a full loot pvp game i can see why its dying. Too bad to because I would of tried it until i read this. Going to a bank every 5 mins isnt realistic its simply stupid and carrot on a stick just like any gear chasing game out there because its a sink . I miss shadowbane...
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

It's always a lot, lot, lot harder to play an honorable character in FFA games.

I remember having to create a "GUARDS!" /say macro in UO to combat pickpockets around the Brittania bank.

It was hilarious to see them try to run from the guards and getting insta-gibbed.

But they'd be back in a few hours after their grey flag wore off, at it again.

As usual, the punishment systems for criminals are far, far, far too leniant in MMOs of this type.

I think players caught stealing in towns that don't escape from the guards should receive a PERMANENT stat loss -

No dual wielding, no offhand weapons, no two-handed weapons... ever... if you catch my drift.

They claim to be hardcore and want hardcore games, but back then in UO and probably still currently in games like MO and DF the so-called "hardcore" seem to complain the loudest and whine the most when they're put under the microscope and asked to pay for their playstyle choices.

"We can't bank, rage rage QQ" - Devs: "Ok, here's Buc's Den."

"We have trouble rezzing! rage rage QQ" - Devs: "OK, here's red healers."

Where as other players say "We can't leave town without getting ganked by Beta characters with all of their skills intact."

Devs/"hardcore" players (really they're sissys): "That's the game play it OUR way or don't play it."

Originally posted by VonatarThe guy that pickpocketed you would have gone from blue to grey, meaning you could have targeted him and called the guards to kill him and loot your money from him. Point is you let him get away.

Right, you target the tief and type "guards" in the chat to call for the guards on him.

Originally posted by Vonatar
    Three days of work and some guy can just steal all my money? I get that this is supposed to be a realistic sandbox MMO, but in real life, people don't come up to me an steal all my cash while I am standing in Walmart. And if it did happen, there would be legal repercussions. In this game he stole my money and there was nothing I could do about it.

How is that not realistic? You don't walk around with $10,000 in your pocket, you put your money in the bank. Where it's safe. If you didn't put it in the bank and walked around with that amount of cash you would be taking a risk of losing it.

And there are repercussions in MO, you just didn't know about them. The guy that pickpocketed you would have gone from blue to grey, meaning you could have targeted him and called the guards to kill him and loot your money from him. Point is you let him get away.

I know it's rough on new players, and that's why picpockets hang out in Fabernum, but it's a full loot open pvp game so that should tell you it's going to be about survival.

Yes I totally agree with you. But like i said, going to the bank all the time just because I am scared I will get robbed constantly, just isn't my play style. And even if I would have had a small amount of money, I still would have gotten robbed the smaller amount of money. I just felt violated, no matter what the amount was.

I get people enjoying this game 100%. I was totally into it briefly. I see how people can lose themselves in MO. I have a lot of respect for this game. It in so many ways allows amazing freedom in an MMO that I have never experienced before. I have total respect for all people's play style.  It's just not for me is all I am saying. I just need more security then MO offers. Guess I will just go back to Pac-Man.

• DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432

My first impressions of the F2P release are horrible.  Bugs, bugs, bugs and bad design decisions.  So much of them I had to record a video of them.

(shoddy quality, used Xfire to stream it, pardon)

Needless to say, I've quit until they fix the game.  Considering how long it's been since the Dawn patch, I'd expect things to be resolved in about half a year.

I know the team is small, but honestly, I've been seeing patches that include things that I expect in brand new game releases.. and this game has been out for nearly 3 years.

Can't wait to see all the complaining on the Steam forums once the game gets greenlit..

Originally posted by Vonatar

Yes I totally agree with you. But like i said, going to the bank all the time just because I am scared I will get robbed constantly, just isn't my play style. And even if I would have had a small amount of money, I still would have gotten robbed the smaller amount of money. I just felt violated, no matter what the amount was.

I get people enjoying this game 100%. I was totally into it briefly. I see how people can lose themselves in MO. I have a lot of respect for this game. It in so many ways allows amazing freedom in an MMO that I have never experienced before. I have total respect for all people's play style.  It's just not for me is all I am saying. I just need more security then MO offers. Guess I will just go back to Pac-Man.

But the thing is. If you just watch your back, and be cautious, you won´t have to loose anything. I haven´t been stolen from for over a year. Cause if someone comes to close, I just push them away. Or keep on moving. There are easy ways to avoid thieves in MO.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    Originally posted by Lahuzer

But the thing is. If you just watch your back, and be cautious, you won´t have to loose anything. I haven´t been stolen from for over a year. Cause if someone comes to close, I just push them away. Or keep on moving. There are easy ways to avoid thieves in MO.

mechanics, mechanics, mechanics.

in a FFA full loot mmo you've GOT to know how the mechanics work if you want to enjoy the game. Yes, thiefing is annoying when you start out but when you learn how and what thiefs can do they wont steal anything of value from you anymore.

carry only silver! and never carry less than a few hunderd in a stack. anything over 100 in a stack is too much for thiefs to steal regardless of what it is.

besides coin the only other useful things a thief can steal (and try resell) are weappons and mount receipt.

Equip your weappons, as they cannot steal what you have equipped. If you can't equip them then put them in your horse's bags or bank them asap.

alwasy put your back against a wall when at the bank, NPC vendors or mail. That is the most likely place where thiefs will try and steal from you.

If you see a naked elf, he is probably a thief. target him and keep an eye on him.

If someone steals from you, and you get the chat message that he stole from you, you can kill him inside of towns as they are local gray to you.

• ShubawkssShubawkss Member Posts: 55
    So, is there a tl;dr version of this post - is the game good or bad, or at least worth a try?
    Originally posted by Shubawkss
    So, is there a tl;dr version of this post - is the game good or bad, or at least worth a try?

If you have time to spare, and nothing else to do, and are interested in a full loot PVP game, in a sandbox setting, then why not. It´s F2P after all. Try it out. Just prepare to run into bugs and die alot at first. ;) But beyond that there is fun to be had for some that likes all that jazz.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

I tried to play the game a few weeks back when it first announced it was going F2P but the game wouldn't run past character creation (if not simply crash while character was being created) so I sort of gave up. I did play back when it had some free period in 2011 and it was alright, but didn't hook me up at all.

Will try giving it another shot out of curiosity but my hopes aren't too high. Just booted the launcher and got an error :s