Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Current population of players in game

Comments

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by lantesh1
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Based on XFire numbers I would say that the game has about 1.6-1.9M total playerbase.

The trouble is, all of the players are in fractals and nowhere else.

Pretty much this.  Though I still get put into an overflow server whenever I go to Lion's Arch or Divinity's Reach.  Then again, I play on the unofficial RP server for U.S.

I haven't seen a group get together to beat the Lyssa Event in some time; it suits me just fine, though as it provides a nice stress test for new warrior builds I make or set out to improve (the three prior events and not the boss fight itself).

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595

Player distribution.  There isn't a single game where the players in low and mid level states or ranges are the same as when the the game was relatively new.  No matter if there is down leveling or not.

The only reasons I can think of where an individual will take their 80 and downlevel is for crafting as in getting more ingredients instead of buying them, or helping people.  As far as those go I would imagine many simply grind gold and buy the materials.  And as far as helping others that also would give us a small cross section  of people, in my opinion. 

I think *think* there are quite a few people still who leveled one character to 80 and don't care about alts or going back to lower level areas.  Spitballing, but say there are 50% or more that don't do anything but log on for level 80 content.    Take into account natural dissolution of the player base along with those that only log in for the end game and that is going to make it seem alot fewer players are on regularly.

Now, there are also new players every single day who bought the game, or got it as a gift or whatnot.  Merry Christmas!  But every mmo is like an isolated island.  The populaton can't keep up.  The people eat all the damn cocounuts and some die off and the rest can't procreate enough to make up for it due to lack of nutrients.

Man....wake up still tipsy and this is what happens.  Don't hate me!

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by bliss14

Player distribution.  There isn't a single game where the players in low and mid level states or ranges are the same as when the the game was relatively new.  No matter if there is down leveling or not.

The only reasons I can think of where an individual will take their 80 and downlevel is for crafting as in getting more ingredients instead of buying them, or helping people.  As far as those go I would imagine many simply grind gold and buy the materials.  And as far as helping others that also would give us a small cross section  of people, in my opinion. 

I think *think* there are quite a few people still who leveled one character to 80 and don't care about alts or going back to lower level areas.  Spitballing, but say there are 50% or more that don't do anything but log on for level 80 content.    Take into account natural dissolution of the player base along with those that only log in for the end game and that is going to make it seem alot fewer players are on regularly.

Now, there are also new players every single day who bought the game, or got it as a gift or whatnot.  Merry Christmas!  But every mmo is like an isolated island.  The populaton can't keep up.  The people eat all the damn cocounuts and some die off and the rest can't procreate enough to make up for it due to lack of nutrients.

This.. the problem is at gw2 it went so far. people played all there was and left, leaving an population of people behind to small to have fun with the mechanics that worked fine when there were 5 times more people.

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by bliss14

Sadly, you wake up tipsy and are able to make more sense than 90% of the crap I read on this site. Some people are so dead set against a title that they forget reason and common logic. Happens in every single MMO I have ever been a part of.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

To the OP,

I can promise you that this game will be around just as long or longer than its predecessor GW1. I would say you can expect many years out of Guild Wars 2.

It has had a booming 4 months and can only get better as we go.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Based on XFire numbers I would say that the game has about 1.6-1.9M total playerbase.

XFire is just a useless number SINCE we don't know the % of players in GW2 who use it. It could be 0.1% or 10%. Until we know, can't really say anything - this is on ANY GAME also.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Originally posted by botrytis

XFire is just a useless number SINCE we don't know the % of players in GW2 who use it. It could be 0.1% or 10%. Until we know, can't really say anything - this is on ANY GAME also.

We do not need this number.

We know GW2 had about 2-2.5mil players on launch.

We know the number of xfire users who played GW2 on launch (15-16k)

We know the number of xfire users who play GW2 now (3-3.5k)

Therefore we can calculate APPROXIMATELY how many players GW2 has right now: 

First let's make 2-2.5mil 2.25, 15-16k -> 15.5, 3-3.5k -> 3.25k

if 15.5k is 2.25mil, how much is 3.25k?

x -> 3.25k

2.25mil -> 15.5k

x= 3250*2250000 / 15500 = 471774.2

about 471.774 people are still playing GW2 on a daily basis

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• vzerovvzerov Member Posts: 125

Wrong.

Unless GW2 has very few players like under 100k or so, 0.1% or 10% makes almost no difference to its credibility, because if the game has few players already and we take the 0.1% of it then the samples wouldnt be enough.

Since the time played per day are thousands of hours we can see the samples of players Xfire has are more than 1k, which is quite enough already. Its just how Statistics works.

Being a fan of GW2 is good, but being anti logical is not.

• RedJorgeRedJorge Member Posts: 106

Actually today around noon GMT the servers seemed pretty full, more at America than Europe but do not look that bad.

How many players do you all think these server status reflects?

Leonard: Penny, you are on fire.
    Penny: Yes, so is Sheldon.
    [laughs]
    Sheldon: Okay, that's it. I don't know how, but she is cheating. No-one can be that attractive and this skilled at a video game.
    [walks away]
    Penny: Wait, wait. Sheldon. Come back, you forgot something.
    Sheldon: What?
    Penny: This plasma grenade.
    [explosion]
    Penny: [laughs] Look! It's raining you.
    Sheldon: You laugh now. You just wait until you need tech support. (Big Bang Theory)

Originally posted by boxsnd

x -> 3.25k

2.25mil -> 15.5k

We don't know that. You are assuming and you know what they say about opinions and assuming - everyone has one.

XFire is a measure of XFire users not an individual game's population. Your logic is off because you are using presales numbers to assume the game now has the same amount - I have no clue how many are playing GW2 - nor do I care.

Let us leave XFire out of this discussion as they are flawed numbers from the start.

Originally posted by RedJorge

Actually today around noon GMT the servers seemed pretty full, more at America than Europe but do not look that bad.

How many players do you all think these server status reflects?

I played on seafarer's rest and most maps were ghost towns while it was saying high population. If I were you I wouldn't trust those values.

boxsnd,

So these server status values represent players currently looged-in or number of accounts created on these servers?

I confess that it confuses me.

Best regards,

RJ

[laughs]
    Sheldon: Okay, that's it. I don't know how, but she is cheating. No-one can be that attractive and this skilled at a video game.
    [walks away]
    [explosion]
    Sheldon: You laugh now. You just wait until you need tech support. (Big Bang Theory)

x -> 3.25k

2.25mil -> 15.5k

We don't know that. You are assuming and you know what they say about opinions and assuming - everyone has one.

XFire is a measure of XFire users not an individual game's population. Your logic is off because you are using presales numbers to assume the game now has the same amount - I have no clue how many are playing GW2 - nor do I care.

Let us leave XFire out of this discussion as they are flawed numbers from the start.

"let us leave xfire out of this discussion because the numbers don't favor my favorite game"

Remember when GW2 was doing better than WoW on xfire how you guys were celebrating?

boxsnd,

So these server status values represent players currently looged-in or number of accounts created on these servers?

Best regards,

RJ

ANet is refusing to say anything about these values, but we can safely assume that they are number of accounts that have this server as their home server because they stay high even at 6 am when undenyably they are completely empty.

boxsnd,

Best regards,

RJ

ANet is refusing to say anything about these values, but we can safely assume that they are number of accounts that have this server as their home server because they stay high even at 6 am when undenyably they are completely empty.

Hummm...if you are right boxsnd, thats a pretty lame way of creating in us the illusion of high population. Specially because it heavily impacts on people wanting to change to servers that have a permanent FULL status and in reality are empty..:(

[laughs]
    [walks away]
    [explosion]

boxsnd,

Best regards,

RJ

Hummm...if you are right boxsnd, thats a pretty lame way of creating in us the illusion of high population. Specially because it heavily impacts on people wanting to change to servers that have a permanent FULL status and in reality are empty..:(

But a very effective way to hide the big population drop. You can see it everywhere: on xfire(70-80% drop), on this very forum(remember how many active threads there were the first month?), on reddit (from 2k+ active users to 500-1k, huge drop of upvotes of the top threads) etc.

boxsnd,

Best regards,

RJ

Nope - it is not the accounts because if it was the amounts on the servers wouldn't dip and they do. I transferred from one server to another and had to wait until the one server was at very-high population. If the servers were based on the accounts on the server, you would NEVER be able to transfer.

They are not empty - you are smoking crack again. Every city I go to, currently has an overflow server.

x -> 3.25k

2.25mil -> 15.5k

It's not an opinion.... seriousily, its like saying statistc or math is just someone's opinion.

Originally posted by vzerov

x -> 3.25k

2.25mil -> 15.5k

It's not an opinion.... seriousily, its like saying statistc or math is just someone's opinion.

It is because if the assumption is wrong - so is the statistics. A book for you to read - it is an interesting read......

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

The problem with Xfire is what age group uses it ? What type of MMO gamer uses it ?    WOW for example attracts younger players so would a game that attracts older players also attract the same % of xfire users ?

Not to talk abot Xfire but the numbers are numbers take them how you want if a game sees a 50% drop in xfire users playing it you can pretty much assume a drop from non xfire users also maybe not 50% but there will be a drop.  That is why people say Xfire numbers work it wouldnt just be xfire users quitting a game that wouldnt make sense.   

In my opinion never trust XFire numbers its like trusting a poll about the presidents job performance and 99/100 people asked were democrats.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

boxsnd,

Best regards,

RJ

Nope - it is not the accounts because if it was the amounts on the servers wouldn't dip and they do. I transferred from one server to another and had to wait until the one server was at very-high population. If the servers were based on the accounts on the server, you would NEVER be able to transfer.

They are not empty - you are smoking crack again. Every city I go to, currently has an overflow server.

It's confusing reading different reports on the forums (official and elsewhere).

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/938738-guild-wars-2/64788109

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Server-Populations/first (post made by CC Eva)

Many have taken it to mean "it's a cap on total registered accounts regardless of whether they're logged in or not."

So what is it then?

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

That applies to opinions - those cannot be right nor wrong as reasoning isn't included, not the case of assumptions though. 2 different things.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

XFIRE is nothing more than a social device to talk with friends and see what they are playing.  That it.  Hasn't changed.  Won't change.  The only wat to truely know how many people play the game is for ARENANET to post their numbers.

GW2 is still strong.  However, keep this in mind:  A game doens't have to have 10mil subs to be "successful".  WoW is a oddity in the MMO market.  No game will ever reach that peak, at least, not anytime soon.  WoW did something right almost immeditately while the other games during it's time failed to innovate and draw in new blood.

I'll venture a guess that GW2 has around 2mil subs or so, much like how the other posters have stated.  However, keep in mind one thing:  GW2 is F2P (once you pay for the game itself of course).  That means you can leave and come back a lot easier than WoW.  Logging in once or twice a week will cause numbers to fluctuate.

As long as GW2 continues to draw in new people, or, the current people use RLC to buy gems; all is good in the world.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by NBlitz

boxsnd,

Best regards,

RJ

It's confusing reading different reports on the forums (official and elsewhere).

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/938738-guild-wars-2/64788109

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Server-Populations/first (post made by CC Eva)

Many have taken it to mean "it's a cap on total registered accounts regardless of whether they're logged in or not."

So what is it then?

I think it's a combination of both.  I think they are using the home server as a base number and adding the currently logged in users on top of that.  This way it shows both a strong number for their status and changes  depending on time of day, etc.

x -> 3.25k

2.25mil -> 15.5k

It is because if the assumption is wrong - so is the statistics. A book for you to read - it is an interesting read......

The book is only the arthor's opinion you know that right?

You dont believe math and statistics because someone said those are lies?  Sounds logical enough.