Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Current population of players in game

chrisminichrismini Member Posts: 9
Im curious as to see if this game currently has a lot of players out of most MMOs out right now, or have many people quit and the game doesnt have that long left of a life? I am looking for a game i can invest a lot of time into, and i dont want to invest time into a game thats player base will dissapear.

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    This game never had the most players of any mmo out.
  • bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    I have it on good authority that there were 14,225,000 people logged in on day 3.  I heard it from this guy I heard it from.
  • jblahjblah Member UncommonPosts: 368

"Full" . Thats all they tell us so since there is never a queue and its never less than "full" we must believe that as one person logs off, magically at the same moment someone else logs in. 

Kidding aside it seems like other level based MMO's a few months after release. Some people in the starter zones rolling alts but the majority of the population at max level amd not much in the middle.

Playing- Guild Wars 2, SWTOR
    SWTOR Referral Link Get a free Server Transfer and lots of other free stuff for your SWTOR account! Works for both new and previous players.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Based on XFire numbers I would say that the game has about 1.6-1.9M total playerbase.
  • KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777

Join a guild, then there will always be people. I like to solo and join the fun little zergs when a boss pops up. 

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Based on XFire numbers I would say that the game has about 1.6-1.9M total playerbase.

How do you get that number? only thing i can think of is for compare it to say wow which officially announced it has 10 million subs, it only has 6k players on xfire though, while gw2 has close to 4k, meaning gw2 should have atleast over 5 million players by that logic.

• lantesh1lantesh1 Member UncommonPosts: 31

The trouble is, all of the players are in fractals and nowhere else.

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186
    Originally posted by dlld

How do you get that number? only thing i can think of is for compare it to say wow which officially announced it has 10 million subs, it only has 6k players on xfire though, while gw2 has close to 4k, meaning gw2 should have atleast over 5 million players by that logic.

I don't think you can compare game populations via XFire, you can use the numbers to track each games population though, if you use the unique log ins rather than hours played, it is a fair bet that a game that had 5000 log ins per day and now has 2500 has suffered a loss in population, I have no idea what the numbers show for  GW2. I wouldn't bother posting on here though, if you do check it out, I believe XFire threads about an individual games population are locked/Deleted.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

Originally posted by ObiClownobi

I don't think you can compare game populations via XFire, you can use the numbers to track each games population though, if you use the unique log ins rather than hours played, it is a fair bet that a game that had 5000 log ins per day and now has 2500 has suffered a loss in population, I have no idea what the numbers show for  GW2. I wouldn't bother posting on here though, if you do check it out, I believe XFire threads about an individual games population are locked/Deleted.

Xfire has been, according the mods, deemed unusable on a factual and unusable in judging population. Please refrain from talking about xfire before they close this thread down. Focus on answering ops questions (that is for all of us).

• korrabiskorrabis Member Posts: 19
    I logged in for a bit yesterday and spent about 15 or 20 minutes in the overflow queue for Lions Arch. So I'd say its still doing good.
  • ZagatoMKRZagatoMKR Member UncommonPosts: 263

Lately I've seen a lot of people farming karma in Cursed Shore (lvl 80 map). There are plenty of people trying to find fractal parties in LA. Some activity in WvW as well. As for GW2 being a game to play full-time and for long periods, I don't see it having enough content for that. I would still recommend to try the game out. Find a class you like and level it to 80. After that you can decide if you want to continue playing full-time or casually.

Cheers.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by korrabis
    I logged in for a bit yesterday and spent about 15 or 20 minutes in the overflow queue for Lions Arch. So I'd say its still doing good.

Basing entire game's poulation  off Lions Arch on one server, hmmm.

Can you imagine doing the same thing but using an unpopular level 40ish zone as a measuring stick?

I prefer the method of basing a games population on how much I personally like the game...which is what most people here are doing.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186
    Originally posted by KingJiggly

Xfire has been, according the mods, deemed unusable on a factual and unusable in judging population. Please refrain from talking about xfire before they close this thread down. Focus on answering ops questions (that is for all of us).

Please try reading posts before replying mindlessly, if you had read my post you would have ascertained that my position was that XFire could not be used to calculate population numbers and that discussion of it was not allowed by the moderators on this site, now with your reply you have just made yourself look foolish.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

Xfire is like Nielsen and are a lot more correct then people want to beleieve. Even if you don't use it or know know on that does, those that do, they trend in and out of games like the rest of us. Usually giving a surprisingly accurate represenation vs other offerings and trends on how things are going. The question would be what does a # in Xfire mean in total #'s? One can use WoW's stated #'s and XFires to figure out that out, then apply it to other games.

Xfire shows GW's has dropped from initial surge. Is that really a surprise to anyone or wrong?

It shows spikes on weekends.

It shows spikes on Events.

All sensible. So the trend lines to me are accurate, again.

It's doing ok, not terrible, not great. To me the game didn't live up to the hype, that said there are still good qaulities to it. To me the game felt rushed about a year early AND there is an issue of Open World gaming and not enough people around, something many said wouldn't happen because of how it scales and how it drops loot, oops.

Please try reading posts before replying mindlessly, if you had read my post you would have ascertained that my position was that XFire could not be used to calculate population numbers and that discussion of it was not allowed by the moderators on this site, now with your reply you have just made yourself look foolish.

Ummm, it wasnt to you specifically. Hence the (that is for all of us) part.dont get pissed at me for agreeing with you.

• shingoukiehshingoukieh Member UncommonPosts: 126
    I think gw2 servers are full and population is great...when arena net starts talking about server merging then u will know the pop is shrinking..I'm on fort aspen wood and that's not a super popular server and everywhere I go I see people..so this s game will be around for at least 4 or more years...remember its b2p so people will come and go a lot..other less popular games such as aoc, lotr, swtor, story, aion and many others aare still around after years...so will this one..arena net does listen and tries to make game better..although no company is perfect
  • ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319
    Originally posted by jtcgs

Can you imagine doing the same thing but using an unpopular level 40ish zone as a measuring stick?

I prefer the method of basing a games population on how much I personally like the game...which is what most people here are doing.

Lol..touche!

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

I can tell you though ..I have 3 alt's all running about in the 30+ zones and besides being a much better game experience than the original zerg I find more folks about then I ever found in similar zones in previous games 4 months into game play ...that would include Daoc ..Wow.. LOTRo or Rift

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

In Underworld server -EU its still lots of people to play with, by example, today by 03:30 , more or less 50 people comes from LA to help on Jormag's and then shatterer.

By the way, they fix the shatterer event and now its one of the best ones to be made, the only thing its still crappy its their bad drops (full blue and green crap itens).

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

The population is a lot more spread out than they were during the first month. Not only are there players all across the level range, but there are 27 PvE zones, 9 dungeons, World vs. World and SPvP, so there are a lot of places for all those players to be. (Level Scaling means that even as more players reach level 80, they aren't all going to be concentrated in two zones when they are out in the PvE world).

Of course, average hours played per player per week has to have dropped into ore sustainable levels.

All of this may lead to the perception that the game has seen a real drop in population, but the cities are still well populated, when leveling alts I still see a fair amount of players in the level 1-15 and 16-25 zones and there are still queues for WvW.

There is some churn, as there always is. I only see about half the people on my friends list with any regularity now, but I occassionaly see someone I haven't seen for weeks pop online, so people are taking advantage of the lack of sub fee to come and go.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

What strikes me as funny is that saying that the number of people in a race capital somehow can be used but XFire cannot. Does not make any sense to me at all.

As for how I got that number. I compared it to MMORPGs which have published their sub. numbers, such as Eve. Did not use WoW as that game is an anamoly.

• Masa1Masa1 Member UncommonPosts: 318

Join a guild, then there will always be people. I like to solo and join the fun little zergs when a boss pops up. 

Whan a suggestion like this pops up, it usually means that the game is on the verge of dying.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by jblah

"Full" . Thats all they tell us so since there is never a queue and its never less than "full" we must believe that as one person logs off, magically at the same moment someone else logs in. 

Kidding aside it seems like other level based MMO's a few months after release. Some people in the starter zones rolling alts but the majority of the population at max level amd not much in the middle.

http://www.guildwarsinsider.com/arenanet-explains-server-overflow-mechanic/

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by HorrorScope

Xfire is like Nielsen and are a lot more correct then people want to beleieve. Even if you don't use it or know know on that does, those that do, they trend in and out of games like the rest of us. Usually giving a surprisingly accurate represenation vs other offerings and trends on how things are going. The question would be what does a # in Xfire mean in total #'s? One can use WoW's stated #'s and XFires to figure out that out, then apply it to other games.

Xfire shows GW's has dropped from initial surge. Is that really a surprise to anyone or wrong?

It shows spikes on weekends.

It shows spikes on Events.

All sensible. So the trend lines to me are accurate, again.

It's doing ok, not terrible, not great. To me the game didn't live up to the hype, that said there are still good qaulities to it. To me the game felt rushed about a year early AND there is an issue of Open World gaming and not enough people around, something many said wouldn't happen because of how it scales and how it drops loot, oops.

I remember this.   I just can't believe people actually bought everything ANET said without even giving a moment's thought.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by Mannish
    This game never had the most players of any mmo out.

Instead of responding to a  GW2 topic with your usual hostility you could try reading the question and answering it. He didnt ask if it had the most pop, only if it had a lot of people compared to most other MMO's. 

Op, I don't know for sure  about population, although I always see plenty of people when I have logged in. But when you said you were looking for a MMO to invest a lot of time in you may want to wait for a free trial for GW2 since it is overly casual friendly.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.