Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 is not Pay-to-Win!

2»

Comments

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

Originally posted by HeroEvermore game is not pay to win at all. anyone who says it is has no clue what pay to win means.

sPvP its standard equal gear for all, and WxWxW we use own gear, but even with full green (quite cheap on AH), if you know to play your class you are able to kill and enjoy.

PvE i still use my green explorer gear on my main necro, its more than enough. In Dungeons i use my best gear (that's the place you need best equip and food), but even with green we can still be efficient in a organized group.
    So you need gems to get more space, to made 20 space bags or to start on a legendary, nothing of these mess with the gameplay.

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    For me it was PnQ. Pay and Quit (a month later).

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Volgore
    Originally posted by RedJorge

GW2 is Pay-to-Save-Time-and-Effort.

Which in a game structured like GW2 equals Pay To Win.

I do not think GW2 is p2w, but there is some truth in Volgore's statement. The way the game intentionally keeps players broke, and that the majority of crafting is worthless, makes the cash shop all too enticing for my taste. 

I still don't seem to understand how people are having gold issues? I play normally and always end up with more gold than I logged in with...

What is it these people are doing? Maybe rez-running through dungeons non-stop?

• bigtime102bigtime102 Member UncommonPosts: 176

Forget pvp, imo guild wars 2 is not a pvp game, guildwars never was. It was PVE, competing against others how well you could do PVE and showing the results in forms of titles, gear etc. That competition is now pay to win. Why do people choose to ignore the pvp elements while playing pve and say cosmetic stuff have no advantage. OF COURSE THEY DO!! look around you in the real world, tell me it isnt more advantages driving a BMW than a ford? Or wearing a $1000 suit vs a $100 suit. These things are keeping the PVE score, and you cant win when people can pay money to get these things while you play normally. Its a race, and those who spend money win first.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    Originally posted by fundayz
    Originally posted by bcbully

I do not think GW2 is p2w, but there is some truth in Volgore's statement. The way the game intentionally keeps players broke, and that the majority of crafting is worthless, makes the cash shop all too enticing for my taste. 

I still don't seem to understand how people are having gold issues? I play normally and always end up with more gold than I logged in with...

What is it these people are doing? Maybe rez-running through dungeons non-stop?

I agree.  If you are broke and playing GW2 you are doing it wrong.  Ive never had anything but far more gold than I needed.  Easily done. 

I've never spent any money on GW2 other than the game box, and heck, I got that as a gift.  So techincally I've never spent a dime on GW2.  Period. 

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

I agree, it's not p2w at all.

You can significantly cut the play time required to achieve things (level 80, legendary weps, etc.) by paying money, but you don't get any advantage...

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    There is nothing really to win is there?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

Originally posted by Kyleran
    There is nothing really to win is there?
    indeed, so people buy to show off, like many got legendary weapons. =XD
    which make me ROFL as they looks ok but have bad states (or anyone thing that vitality and toughness are good stats for weapon?)

anyway I already told that I don't find many difference between GW2 and any good asian f2p, but gw2 charge for box.

I guess it's not item shop will kill this game but poor content and stuff like that, including bugs.

shame it's not the same as first four GW games

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

You either don't know GW2 or don't know what P2W means. There are no P2W items in this game.

imageimage
  • Masa1Masa1 Member UncommonPosts: 318

GW2 offers 4 week period of P2W after every ascended gear patch. All players can get the new equips with 4 weeks of no-life farming.

If you say that my argument is invalid, just take a look at game called CO. F2P players can get everything P2W players can... for free. Unfornately it requires 1 year of no-life farming to get the best equips. If you say that GW2 is not P2W during those 4 weeks, can you also say that CO is not P2W?

• siekacz123siekacz123 Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Masa1

GW2 offers 4 week period of P2W after every ascended gear patch. All players can get the new equips with 4 weeks of no-life farming.

If you say that my argument is invalid, just take a look at game called CO. F2P players can get everything P2W players can... for free. Unfornately it requires 1 year of no-life farming to get the best equips. If you say that GW2 is not P2W during those 4 weeks, can you also say that CO is not P2W?

your agument is invalid

theres nothing P2W

you cant BUY ascended rings with gold, and its easy to get them so you dont need to farm 10hours a day for 4 weeks

you can run fractal once a day its about 40 mins max and get the ring or 1 core (10 cores and you get ring of your choice)

so please explain me how is that P2W

and the ascended gear have so minimal stat difference between exotic so you dont need to get them to be able doo ale the PVE content like in other games where you must get next lvl of the gear

• Masa1Masa1 Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Originally posted by siekacz123

your agument is invalid

theres nothing P2W

you cant BUY ascended rings with gold, and its easy to get them so you dont need to farm 10hours a day for 4 weeks

you can run fractal once a day its about 40 mins max and get the ring or 1 core (10 cores and you get ring of your choice)

and the ascended gear have so minimal stat difference between exotic so you dont need to get them to be able doo ale the PVE content like in other games where you must get next lvl of the gear

You know that those cores you get only give you access to the "shit ascended rings". You still have to grind a lot more to get the best ascended items (almost 10 hours per day for 4 weeks). Just look at the wiki recipes for upgrading back item, crafting back item, upgrading ring. They're sooooooooooo grindy it just makes me sick.

• siekacz123siekacz123 Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by siekacz123

your agument is invalid

theres nothing P2W

You know that those cores you get only give you access to the "shit ascended rings". You still have to grind a lot more to get the best ascended items (almost 10 hours per day for 4 weeks). Just look at the wiki recipes for upgrading back item, crafting back item, upgrading ring. They're sooooooooooo grindy it just makes me sick.

recipe to upgrade rings to infused version +5 more agony resistance

is

Ascended ring + 1 Shard of Crystallized Mist Essence + 3 Globs of Crystallized Mist Essence + 5 Vials of Crystallized Mist Essence

as for the back items yea they are harder to get but nothing that make you farm whole month to get and you dont NEED them at all (im at lvl 38 fractals)

but the recipe is

1 vial of mist essence, 40 crystal, 50 globs, 250 T6 mat you can easy buy the globs and T6 mats with the money you made from fractals before needing it

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Far from pay to win, its a buy to grind.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

This thread is like....