Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pointless WvW

Comments

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

It's not pointless.

• Servers are ranked every week.
    • There is a scoreboard during WvW.
    • There are achievements/rewards you can get.
    • There's a jumping puzzle too.
    It's only pointless to you because you do not want to do the things that are pointed above. :)
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Tayah
    Myself, I've never found instanced pvp fun. I don't care about rewards, just instance pvp is pointless to me.

This is confusing, since WvW isn't instanced (everyone knows it's zoned, only the competitive 5v5 is instanced), are you saying you like it or you don't?

Oderint, dum metuant.

• engellenengellen Member UncommonPosts: 83

obviously some of these guys never played UO before trammel, full loot was the reward and you did everything you could to kill someone and reap the rewards from their corpse. rewards and fun are whats its all about.

and wvw doesnt give you any feeling of accomplishment or persistance, it sucks. 

oh and the repair costs are total bs

literally nothing good about it at all when you think about it.

oh we took this castle again? ok 45 minutes before we can circle back around and farm it again. fun stuff.

ha.

oh the enemy zerg is farming that castle right now? ok go around and grab that one then come back and farm this one when they leave. 

f me man, makes me sad even saying this.

played a million mmo's

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by engellen
    obviously some of these guys never played UO before trammel, full loot was the reward and you did everything you could to kill someone and reap the rewards from their corpse. rewards and fun are whats its all about.

Seriously, how successful do you think WvW would be with a full loot thing going on? Hint... someone would get looted once and likely never go back. It would die. Siege warfare couldn't work. It should be clear that the objectives in WvW are by intent dramatically different than old school UO.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• engellenengellen Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Originally posted by engellen

Seriously, how successful do you think WvW would be with a full loot thing going on? Hint... someone would get looted once and likely never go back. It would die. Siege warfare couldn't work. It should be clear that the objectives in WvW are by intent dramatically different than old school UO.

yeah seige warfare didnt work in a full loot mmo cough darkfall cough

and gear is easy enough to get in this shitty game that you could easily replace it fast and have backups at that.

and if the ballsy people want to bring in the legendaries then it will be the same as other full loot games, it will make them a target but thats the fun of full looting.

owned son!

sure as hell would stop this troll ass keep farming bullcrap which is 0 fun and pointless when you can farm DEs anyway.

my god talking about this game is even boring.

played a million mmo's

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

Because obviously so many people just love full loot PvP. Right? Right? Right?

Thats why so many games have it.

lol owned.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Pointless Hide-and-Seek; in the end, everybody gets found. Pointless Cops-and-Robbers; no money changes hands. Pointless Monopoly; the money isn't even real. Games are generally "pointless" when you look at them from a certain point of view.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    A lot of posters here either forgot all about DAoC or never played it. Controlling relics and keeps mattered. You could also control darkness falls. PvP doesn't have to be a mindless zerg fest. That's a fault that lies within the game and not a players mentality. If people are satisfied with killing for the sake of killing then I'm sure GW2 is a great game. For somebody like me that expects a little more I think I did the right thing by passing this game by
  • David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813
    Originally posted by Starpower
    A lot of posters here either forgot all about DAoC or never played it. Controlling relics and keeps mattered. You could also control darkness falls. PvP doesn't have to be a mindless zerg fest. That's a fault that lies within the game and not a players mentality. If people are satisfied with killing for the sake of killing then I'm sure GW2 is a great game. For somebody like me that expects a little more I think I did the right thing by passing this game by

/

Although I still have fun with WvW in GW2, it's just that kind of game, casual at best.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by cagan

I just spend 4 hours  defending that castle last week, what was the reward for me or my guild? Did my guild get a reward for defending our castle? No, we actually lost a lot of gold buying siege engines and repairing. Maybe we won a little karma but thats it...

This is biggest issue with WvW. The cost of upgrades, and siege equipment is just about as close to p2w as it gets. I didn't say it was, but close. The more you're in there the more you feel and see it. Buying WMDs with cash in a mmorpg is real iffy. At the very least wVw is an amazingly huge and effficient gold sink.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by Aquazen

/

Although I still have fun with WvW in GW2, it's just that kind of game, casual at best.

The reason daoc mattered was becuase you were part of something huge. It was almost like nationalism, something I do not feel while playing gw2. Relics and keeps truthfully had no real affect on me or the gameplay, heck wvw affects the pve server more than daoc did, yet it still mattered more simply because your "country" won it.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by KingJiggly

/

The reason daoc mattered was becuase you were part of something huge. It was almost like nationalism, something I do not feel while playing gw2. Relics and keeps truthfully had no real affect on me or the gameplay, heck wvw affects the pve server more than daoc did, yet it still mattered more simply because your "country" won it.

This would've mattered more with factions.  This where i think GW2 went wrong.  They tried to have server pride instead of faction pride.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    I did it for the entertainment value. Never really was about the reward factor for me. Suppose it depends on what you expect to gain far as how much or for how long you will enjoy WvW.

This ^

A baffling thing to think about, is if you take the OP's mentallity and apply it to ANY other genre, it doesn't make sense. So why with MMOs?

Why do MMOs have to have rewards for everything? Why the carrot? Heck, do you play TF2 for the hats? Do you play BF3 for the upgrades, and then put it down once you got the upgrade u want? Do you play skyrim for the epic axe of badassery, and then quit once you have it?

Seriously, whatever happened to playing games for fun? There are games for those that want an endless reward dispenser (D3, Borderlands 2, TL2, etc.) and honestly, I find each and every one of them to get boring fairly quick. I have far more fun playing game after game of Natural Selection 2, or Starcraft, or Planetside 2, or Civ 5, etc. etc. etc. all of which provide barely any reward outside of the knowledge that I either played well or poorly. But that's part of the fun, isn't it? Taking it upon yourself to tackle challenges, and trying to triumph against greater odds.

WvW may be 'pointless', but It's rare that I have as much fun as I do trying to defend stonemist from 3x as many invaders. I don't fight wars for magic underpants, I fight them to try and win.

What he said in the second to last paragraph.

• amadeuzamadeuz Member Posts: 73

I guess many people here expect to acquire the new tier powerful gears after killing bunch of other players in WvW

//genius :)

• GoromhirGoromhir Member UncommonPosts: 463

I dont do WvW anymore, you know why? What's the point?

I used spend hours so that my server climbs up the ladder and meet stronger and better opponents. I used to defend a castle for hours dying multiple times and paying a lot of repairs so that my faction will control the castle...

Then one day I woke up and asked myself? Whats the point?

As my server goes up the ladder and as me and myguildmates spend many hours and lots of gold on this cause what do we get back? Don't tell me you get more benefits for your server as you get higher points. The benefits are almost negligible. Maybe 2% more crafting xp boost and 2% more gold from monster.

I just spend 4 hours  defending that castle last week, what was the reward for me or my guild? Did my guild get a reward for defending our castle? No, we actually lost a lot of gold buying siege engines and repairing. Maybe we won a little karma but thats it...

Now the biggest catch, what do we do when we go Wvw now? me and coupel friends just hop from one instance to another just capping the supply camps for karma, sometimes we cap undefended castles too, but dont defend it. It all turned into a big zerg around the map capping as many things in a little time and let them get capped by the enemy so u can cap them again.

At one point it was 3 big zergs of 3 servers going clockwise around the battleground just capping everything and not defending so the next group can capture it. Why defend it? whats the reward? Karma farming with a group of opposite faction is much faster, everyone is sarting to do this now...

(edit: before ppl say u get points for defending too, NO, its just a small fraction of what you would get if you were capturing it. and also its still bugged, I can stay inside the castle for hours and maybe get 1 out of 3 or 4 defense rewards)

i joined WvW for a few days and at some point i just asked myself why i do this. 

WvW in GW2 is pointless and a waste of time. sure its fun for a bit but then it becomes dull and repeative.

you take a spot they retake it and and and........

GW2 overall is a pretty dull, childish and uncomplex game. its made for 12 year olds that cant handle more than 10 skills at once....

5 attacks

3 utilities

1 elite

Thats Guild Wars 2..... i regret buying it.. 

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336
    So what's the point of pick-up basketball? There is no reward, but in the summer the playgrounds are crowded the whole day.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Bebboh

I cant stand Guild Wars 2 but why does there need to be a point? Isnt the point of playing games to have fun. If your not having that then I guess the game is not for you.

Why not have a point and have fun, fun and no point equals boring and repetitive. Anyone who has only just figure out that GW2  WvWvW is pointless has no one but themselves to blame.

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319
    Originally posted by amadeuz

I guess many people here expect to acquire the new tier powerful gears after killing bunch of other players in WvW

//genius :)

Umm no..even new armor sets for pure asthetic would be more than enough. Why does it always have to be next tier of gear? and didn't PVE guys got new fractal armor so why not PVP?

Originally posted by Mahavishnu
    So what's the point of pick-up basketball? There is no reward, but in the summer the playgrounds are crowded the whole day.

Ahh...the real life analogy. It has to come up sooner or later.

• bnxbanditbnxbandit Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by Goromhir

I used spend hours so that my server climbs up the ladder and meet stronger and better opponents. I used to defend a castle for hours dying multiple times and paying a lot of repairs so that my faction will control the castle...

As my server goes up the ladder and as me and myguildmates spend many hours and lots of gold on this cause what do we get back? Don't tell me you get more benefits for your server as you get higher points. The benefits are almost negligible. Maybe 2% more crafting xp boost and 2% more gold from monster.

Now the biggest catch, what do we do when we go Wvw now? me and coupel friends just hop from one instance to another just capping the supply camps for karma, sometimes we cap undefended castles too, but dont defend it. It all turned into a big zerg around the map capping as many things in a little time and let them get capped by the enemy so u can cap them again.

At one point it was 3 big zergs of 3 servers going clockwise around the battleground just capping everything and not defending so the next group can capture it. Why defend it? whats the reward? Karma farming with a group of opposite faction is much faster, everyone is sarting to do this now...

(edit: before ppl say u get points for defending too, NO, its just a small fraction of what you would get if you were capturing it. and also its still bugged, I can stay inside the castle for hours and maybe get 1 out of 3 or 4 defense rewards)

i joined WvW for a few days and at some point i just asked myself why i do this. 

WvW in GW2 is pointless and a waste of time. sure its fun for a bit but then it becomes dull and repeative.

you take a spot they retake it and and and........

GW2 overall is a pretty dull, childish and uncomplex game. its made for 12 year olds that cant handle more than 10 skills at once....

5 attacks

3 utilities

1 elite

Thats Guild Wars 2..... i regret buying it.. 

I'd just point out one thing about the 10 skills. The skills are purposeply made that way because that way you can change your skills for a specific situation, not just all skills at your disposal in many action bars. It was used to make the game somewhat more challenging. Now about the dull and repetetive part, I agree with you there because right now I haven't maxed my main yet even after all these months and i just quitted after a few months. Maybe for some or even most GW2 is worth the price but for the others like you it's not, just goes to show that GW2 is not for everybody.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,745

Everything online is imaginary, but it has to inspire your imagination. Faction based combat on the same server does that. Server versus server never will.

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319
    Originally posted by sketchy_
    Originally posted by Zalmon
    Originally posted by sketchy_

What's the point? To have fun maybe.

Why do you play games in general? Most likely becuase you find it entertaining.

I know I still have a blast in WvW. Running around with guild groups and taking on massive numbers. That's always been the part of larger scale pvp I found fun. Being outnumbered and coming out as the winner.

And fun is subjective. While some people don't care for progression and rewards in PVP but others do? why not create a balance for both type of players? no side is better or more entitled than the other because there is not just one way to have fun in an MMO.

From your posts it sounds as if your way of playing the game is the only fun way.

I said what I found fun. That doesn't apply to everyone.

On the other hand I don't understand people that need a carrot to keep on playing. What do you do when you get your gear/title/achievement or whatever it is? Quit? Wait for the next expansion with new carrots to chase? Sounds kinda of boring if you ask me.

As long as I have fun I will continue to play and what I wrote in my first post was an example of why I still have fun in WvW.

And i am still telling you that fun is subjective. So if you understand that, i don't think there is any reason to get all surprised as to why others enjoy gear progression.  Progression has always been a staple feature of MMOS and it will always will be in one form or another.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by observer
    Originally posted by KingJiggly

/

This would've mattered more with factions.  This where i think GW2 went wrong.  They tried to have server pride instead of faction pride.

Exactly. Once they remove free server transfers, it will hopefully die down. 

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

WvW has its problems.....I agree.  However, It is hard for me to sit and read your OP and not respond. 

You (and many others) sit and complain about WvW and how it is a zerg fest.  The 3 big zergs travelling in a clockwise circle around the map., it is a mindless and effortless way to play.   Are you telling me that at no point someone with half a brain said, "Hey, how about we travel COUNTER-clockwise?"   I challenge you to join one of the top three tier 1 American servers.  While it can get "zergy" at times.....your experience on these maps isnt a zerg fest travelling in a mindless circle.  That zerg would be intercepted and demolished. 

It takes approx 1/3 the amount of players to bust an enemy zerg (Maybe less).  Think about that for a sec. 

I have no pity for people who claim WvW is boring and at the same time sit and follow a mindless zerg around the map.  My advice would be to find an experienced commander and follow him instead.  Or use all that "expertise and know-how" that you have and become a commander yourself.

On a side note:  I admit that WvW is less interesting to me than it was at launch.  So, I took a break from it and recently came back.  All is well now.

• ESSKAESSKA Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by bcbully

This is biggest issue with WvW. The cost of upgrades, and siege equipment is just about as close to p2w as it gets. I didn't say it was, but close. The more you're in there the more you feel and see it. Buying WMDs with cash in a mmorpg is real iffy. At the very least wVw is an amazingly huge and effficient gold sink.

How in the world do you people loos so much silver  in WvW? Do the jumping puzzle that are there and you get siege equipment and enough badges to buy extra. I wonder because i always come out making more silver than i went in with. I don't understand how people have money issues because making gold in GW2 is just to easy.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    The biggest contributor to "pointlessness", isn't lack of reward, or lack of a lock.

IT'S NO NAMES

its why I'm finding my switch to ps2 more enjoyable and more daoc like.