Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My windows keep hanging at the windows 7 logo installing second ssd?

ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Ive bought a second ssd OCZ vertex 4, so i got now 2 ssd identical and hdd no raid settings just paralle settings.

Al latest drivers bios-MB and videocard.

Nomatter what sata conectors i use sinds i put my second in my pc when i start up i keep hanging at loading screen before going to my desktop.

It worked all very well with one ssd and HDD but now even when i format i get same problem.

I install all updates but when i install AMD driver for my videocard i get this problem before i dont.

When not in raid i need to use IDE or AHCI?

MB have 2 ssd sata 3 6gb catching connectors(blue ones) and 2 normal sata 3 6gb connectors(gray ones) for fast transfer.

It now manytimes don't reconise both ssd?

Im lost now with bios dunno how to fix it i can go to desktop forced with overide boot PM SSD BUT still need to choose normal start up becouse i use reset button to get out of eternal laodingscreen hehe.

Anybody know about this problem with ssd and sata settings and AMD problem?

MB asus z77 v deluxe
videocard 7970
win7 ultimate 64

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
PSU:Corsair AX1200i

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I don't know that this is your issue or not, but some pointers:

First, have you tried booting on your Windows installation media and choosing the Repair option? That can often fix a broken MBR or when a Windows installation gets lost when hard drives get shuffled.

You should use AHCI mode when possible, it will allow your SSDs to use more advanced instructions and perform better. The problem is, when Windows is first installed, it will only install the drivers for whichever setting you have selected at Install time - and most motherboards default to IDE mode (because it's more compatible). If you try to switch it later in the BIOS, Windows will panic and fail to start up (because it can't find the proper hard drive controller drivers). There are ways around that, the simplest solution to explain quickly is to re-install Windows, although it's possible to repair, it's not terribly intutitive:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/987378-how-to-switch-from-ide-to-ahci-without-repairingreinstalling-windows/

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Ok thx for reply i'll try that i find out now that my second ssd suddenly was not formatted while im 100% sure i formatted it.

Now its formatted in hardware menu its detects both ssd and HDD but when i click in start computer i see only 1 ssd and HDD hmm strange why it won't show up there?

Im doing now the ssd catching through AI suite II and it detects the ssd and HDD lol?

Turn off the caching software.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Windows will BSOD during start up when it gets to the graphics portion of start-up if you have the BIOS SATA port configuration wrong. This blue screen error (I think it ends in 007B) will happen a few seconds after the Windows Splash screen with the progress bar or the moving 'Window's' window icon.

To get rid of this BSOD you have to select the proper SATA port configuration in the BIOS. The SATA port configuration options I've seen are Raid, Raid + AHCI, Raid +ATA, AHCI, ATA, and 'Legacy'. Raid +AHCI is the most adaptable setting.

Make sure your new SSD is formatted in the same SATA configuration manner as your other drives.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

My config is set at AHCI and offcorse all disks are same formatted.

I found out that ssd catching somehow disable my formatted ssd its not detected anymore in my bios or when i have start up, and i have to format again so its detected again the SSD.

SSD CATCHING seems not working on my asus z77 v deluxe MB with AI suite II?

I think the problem is when i to early install many drivers programs specially AMD graphics driver while not fully updated with windows updated.

I think at least i should have installed service pack1 first before install drivers?

I gues i should first do all windows updates then install most drivers?

Other pisbillity is that ive also installed the intel driver for the HD graphics 4000, maybe thats in conflict with AMD catalyst driver?

when i start up my PC i have to go into bios click my main ssd with windows to correctly boot to desktop no hanging.

When start up my PC and do nothing it hangs at windows logo before enter desktop:(

My conclusion is i just put one ssd on ssd sata connector 6gb/s and one ssd+hdd on the gray 6gb/s connector all AHCI mode, then install fully update when windows is updated i start install drivers?

PS. I don't do raid btw i just use my 2xsdd and HDD paralle settings.

I think you misunderstand what SSD caching is doing.

SSD caching (*Intel Smart Response), on an Intel chipset, uses an SSD to cache a normal hard drive to improve disk performance. In essence, it will "merge" the regular hard drive and the SSD - you won't be able to use the SSD by itself. It isn't an extra cache for and SSD or anything - it's mainly meant for people with very small SSD drives and bigger normal hard drives to get a cheap performance boost.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_Response_Technology

If you want to be able to use the SSD by itself (which is probably what you want), you want to disable the SSD caching.

On a second note:

Install your drivers first - directly from downloads of the most recent versions if possible.

Then let Windows update install all applicable updates.

It tends to go a bit smoother that way and you don't end up chasing various driver revisions about.