Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] The Elder Scrolls Online: Why We Love Daedra

2»

Comments

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Soldier101
    Originally posted by maddog15a
    I got a sinking feeling in my stomach that this is gona be swtor all over again...

I think you might be right.

Impossibru. 

I think TESO will be a lot better and different.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    Originally posted by azzamasin

First you cant take things like killing NPC's, stealing blocks of cheese, or some of the myriad other single player experiences  and port them over to a massively multiplayer game, it just wouldnt work.  However you can take many of the features and port them over.  Things like active blocking, free form character progression in a class based structure, open world free form exploration centric gameplay and meaningful storylines.

Since were talking about MMO's then you need to have systems in place that allows hundreds or thousands of players to interact.  Systems that are common to our genre, like PvP systems, AH's, Questing, RvR, Loot, raiding,  group interaction. 

I implore you to name me 1 clone like feature, just be warned that saying it is so doesnt make it correct.  You sir are not jean luc picard.

YES YOU CAN!

ffs an amature modder has already made a mod that lets multiple people actually exist in the Skyrim world....sure, it's buggy as hell and doesn't work half the time but it IS POSSIBLE. and this guy is just an amature modder, not a professional paid coder.

stop saying "it's not possible", because it is. not easy for sure, but it's definately possible. the only thing stopping them it's exactly THAT kind of attitude.THAT kind of attitude is exactly what's been stagnating the mmo market for the last 10 years. everyone would rather just recycle and reskin instead of trying something difficult and radical.

forget about "thousand of players" and start with servers with limited players like Dayz does, or even just multiplayer features like separate "arena" instances....

i will not go into details about clone features as i have not actually played the game. All i have seen are the vidoes and read the interviews and neither of those looked or felt like a TES game that i love. So far what i have seen has looked more like Rift than TES.   

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper
    Originally posted by azzamasin

First you cant take things like killing NPC's, stealing blocks of cheese, or some of the myriad other single player experiences  and port them over to a massively multiplayer game, it just wouldnt work.  However you can take many of the features and port them over.  Things like active blocking, free form character progression in a class based structure, open world free form exploration centric gameplay and meaningful storylines.

Since were talking about MMO's then you need to have systems in place that allows hundreds or thousands of players to interact.  Systems that are common to our genre, like PvP systems, AH's, Questing, RvR, Loot, raiding,  group interaction. 

I implore you to name me 1 clone like feature, just be warned that saying it is so doesnt make it correct.  You sir are not jean luc picard.

YES YOU CAN!

ffs an amature modder has already made a mod that lets multiple people actually exist in the Skyrim world....sure, it's buggy as hell and doesn't work half the time but it IS POSSIBLE. and this guy is just an amature modder, not a professional paid coder.

stop saying "it's not possible", because it is. not easy for sure, but it's definately possible. the only thing stopping them it's exactly THAT kind of attitude.THAT kind of attitude is exactly what's been stagnating the mmo market for the last 10 years. everyone would rather just recycle and reskin instead of trying something difficult and radical.

forget about "thousand of players" and start with servers with limited players like Dayz does, or even just multiplayer features like separate "arena" instances....

i will not go into details about clone features as i have not actually played the game. All i have seen are the vidoes and read the interviews and neither of those looked or felt like a TES game that i love. So far what i have seen has looked more like Rift than TES.   

Ummm no you CANT!  Tell me what if I wanted to kill all the shop keepers in Riftkin, or hell for that matter kill EVERYONE in riftkin?  You can do that in the single player game because its your choice but in the MMO you "could" do that but then your game MMO would be really shitty!  There's alot of things that can not work in an MMO or you ruin the MMO experience for everyone else to come along.  Like I said there are more then enough Elder Scrolls quirks in the MMO to keep the game within the framework.

You cant forget about thousands of players as then you lose all meaning to what makes an MMO an MMO.  Sounds like you want Skyrim multiplayer and that is your perogorative and I cant fault your wants.  However ZOS is making an Elder Scrolls MMO and not an Elder Scrolls Multiplayer co-op game which is exactly what I want.  To top it off the lead designer is also the one person that made DAoC RvR™ the ultimate PvP experience for many players.  Now you could say why didn't they go with a 2 faction or no faction open PvP system and my argument would be, those have been done hundreds of times before and I have no desire to play World of Elder Scolls or Elder Scrolls'Fall.  Whereas RvR has only been done in 2 other MMO's and its bout high effing time someone come along and try and polish, innovate on a PvP feature that has so much promise and has been done so few times before.  I do not want to play Elder Scrolls in the WoW or Darkfall mindset and for this reason alone its why I am so adamantly thrilled to look forward to the game.

If yo uwont go into clone features then you have ZERO right to say its a clone, that statement reeks of misinformation and unintelligent arguments.  Arguments that are not only not valid but outright slanderish.  I too have read, watched and listend to everything I can about the soon to be released MMO (sometimes voraciously) and everything I have witnessed says the exact opposite of what you say.  It appears to me that ZOS has taken great pains to foster and incorporate elements that make the single player RPG's  what they are into the MMO version.  Things like lore, open ended free form exploration, use of magika, stamina and health, open ended dungeons, any class can wield any weapon and wear any armor, detailed storylines and so much more. 

As you see, I named many elements that were found in the single player experience and are being ported to the MMO version whereas all you have done is make hyperbolic comments reeking in ill-informed misjudgements!

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• maddog15amaddog15a Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Originally posted by FromHell
    Originally posted by Soldier101
    I got a sinking feeling in my stomach that this is gona be swtor all over again...

I think you might be right.

Impossibru. 

I think TESO will be a lot better and different.

I would like to think so, but it seems ZeniMax is riding to much on the lore to make this game.  I have no doubt it will sell alot.  But sells don't support a mmo, player retention does.  And lately every mmo thats come out has been struggling with that, case in point swtor.  Swtor has great lore to work with and provides a great single player experience, but its an mmo and you need not just a great single player experience but multiplayer one as well.  Thats something ZeniMax has talked very little about.  Also with sandbox gameplay being a huge part of the last 3 TES games, for the developers to come out and state they see no value in sandbox material is a scary thing.

• OntblodOntblod Member UncommonPosts: 195

2012 Player's Choice Winner Announcement

MOST ANTICIPATED: Elder Scrolls Online

Yea I voted for it and yea I know this wont be DARKFALLISH or sandboxish in its nature

but I think its gonna be a fun ride, I´ve been a huge ES fanatic since I played Morrowind.(Never

got into Daggerfall though if you can believe that) 

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

Are people really falling for SW:TOR 2.0?

Sigh, the mmo community deserves everything they have been getting lately

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Originally posted by dinams

I think you're confusing it with GW2.  In any case nothing can be worse than SWTOR. 

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Laross

I think you're confusing it with GW2.  In any case nothing can be worse than SWTOR. 

agree with Laross.

Some points where it looks much better than SWTOR:

Engine performance- TESO wins

Immersion- TESO wins, looks far better than SWTOR, no cartoonish plastic character looks, better looking environments

No colorful lollypop fantasy world with cutesy animals like in GW2 

Combat- Elder Scrolls style, probably similiar to AoC (yay!)

Phasing- having an actual impact on the world

Single server technology (like TSW)- better than SWOTR

and I BET there will be something like a day/night change

PvP, compare to SWTOR:

http://youtu.be/nFU2yzxPvLc?t=7m57s

This looks far more like AoC than SWTOR .

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• ShortyBibleShortyBible Member UncommonPosts: 409

Looking forward to giving this a try.

Hopefully in the future they include player housing.

I will be buying moon sugar and selling skooma :)

• HaloheadHalohead Member UncommonPosts: 11

How did so many people not see from the start that SWTOR would fail? You just had to look at the first minute of actually released gameplay to see that it was just WoW with a Star Wars paint job. I don't know if TES Online is going to succeed or not, but if it's trying to adapt the combat mechanics of other TES games, at least it'll be different.

• HaloheadHalohead Member UncommonPosts: 11
    It'll probably also help their profits if they don't blow a huge chunk of money on the voice acting. I mean it's a luxury, and while it's nice, MMOs are clearly a genre where the players care about story the least.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Laross

Fairly certain GW2 is still an amazing game with alot of potential.  Except for here on mmorpg.sandbox.com.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    3 factions is easier to balance than 2.

Just compare planetside 2 to aion or swtor or wow.
  • pedrobjpedrobj Member UncommonPosts: 2
    I love Skyrim, and the way we can change the world. The sandbox style is the coolest thing ever. But, with an MMO with thousands players gonna kill this, its impossible a sandbox with massive players... I agree with put a Multiplayer mode, like Diablo 3 instances, with max of 5~15 players and a more flexible world.
  • eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    Originally posted by chriswsm

3 player factions worked well in DAOC for several years and many of the DAOC team are now working for Zenimax.

As for TESO  initially I was really up for this then my enthusiasm took a nose dive when I heard you could not explore the realms of the other factions.

My enthusiasm was revived with the recent videos and podcasts. The Off the Record podcast Episode 43 called "Hands-On with The Elder Scrolls Online"  is the best one I have heard.

I do not think TESO will be perfect, I dont think a MMO can be perfect.  I think TESO will be playable and enjoyable until something better comes along

DAOC's 3 factions were not balanced. Or did the offer server transfers and free leveled toons to the under pop sides for no reason at all? I remember so much complaining about the Albs when DAOC was popular for dominating so many of the servers. People look back on DAOC with rose colored glasses, when if you actually think about it, it wasn't that great, hence why everyone left for WoW and elsewhere. I remember it's start. Dungeons that were empty. Dungeons that had monsters, but no loot. PvP involved targetting someone and hitting /stick or whatever it was, turning the fight into a writhing mass of characters. Unless, you were out in the wilderness ganking solo people with a bunch of friends. If you call that PvP.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179
    Originally posted by Halohead
    It'll probably also help their profits if they don't blow a huge chunk of money on the voice acting. I mean it's a luxury, and while it's nice, MMOs are clearly a genre where the players care about story the least.

No need to worry there since Oblivion and Skyrim both reused the heck out of voice actors and phrases.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• SincerelySincerely Member UncommonPosts: 22
    If I can't go out partying with Sanguine, no win.
  • BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

Sad, but true.

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813
    Originally posted by eric_w66
    Originally posted by chriswsm

3 player factions worked well in DAOC for several years and many of the DAOC team are now working for Zenimax.

As for TESO  initially I was really up for this then my enthusiasm took a nose dive when I heard you could not explore the realms of the other factions.

My enthusiasm was revived with the recent videos and podcasts. The Off the Record podcast Episode 43 called "Hands-On with The Elder Scrolls Online"  is the best one I have heard.

I do not think TESO will be perfect, I dont think a MMO can be perfect.  I think TESO will be playable and enjoyable until something better comes along

DAOC's 3 factions were not balanced. Or did the offer server transfers and free leveled toons to the under pop sides for no reason at all? I remember so much complaining about the Albs when DAOC was popular for dominating so many of the servers. People look back on DAOC with rose colored glasses, when if you actually think about it, it wasn't that great, hence why everyone left for WoW and elsewhere. I remember it's start. Dungeons that were empty. Dungeons that had monsters, but no loot. PvP involved targetting someone and hitting /stick or whatever it was, turning the fight into a writhing mass of characters. Unless, you were out in the wilderness ganking solo people with a bunch of friends. If you call that PvP.

You must have joined DAoC late in the game.  Prior to Trials of Atlantis, DAoC was a fantastic MMO even by today's standards, which is why you see some MMOs, WoW included, emulate some of its features.  Were there balance issues?  Definitely.  What multi-class system MMO doesn't have balance issues? Was it a fun game?  Absolutely.