Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forbes: 12 million Play 101 Games

IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Looked into this some after the awards here :) For Wizard101 and Pirate101 combined

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidewalt/2012/12/06/kingsisle-entertainments-path-to-video-game-victory/

Today there are more than 30 million registered Wizard101 players in the U.S., with 5 million joining in the last six months alone. Analysts say at least 12 million play the game regularly.

Players can also buy virtual currency called Crowns and spend it on in-game pets and gear. It’s now in 65,000 outlets, including Wal-Mart, GameStop, Target and CVS. “The [cards] really are a standout,” says Brad Schliesser, GameStop’s director of retail digital distribution, because parents like limiting their kids’ spending.

Comments

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Originally posted by Eluldor

Looked into this some after the awards here :) For Wizard101 and Pirate101 combined

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidewalt/2012/12/06/kingsisle-entertainments-path-to-video-game-victory/

Today there are more than 30 million registered Wizard101 players in the U.S., with 5 million joining in the last six months alone. Analysts say at least 12 million play the game regularly.

Players can also buy virtual currency called Crowns and spend it on in-game pets and gear. It’s now in 65,000 outlets, including Wal-Mart, GameStop, Target and CVS. “The [cards] really are a standout,” says Brad Schliesser, GameStop’s director of retail digital distribution, because parents like limiting their kids’ spending.

Great research! Should link this to the deniers at the award discussion.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Even more play(ed) runescape, yet I dont see it winning any awards (of course, that was before the bot nuke day). Does 101 have as many bots runescape had? I dont know the answer, I am really wondering. 
  • Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166
    GOOD STUFF! this will help make all the kiddies and highschool kids who play these games feel more happy :)

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

When asked about this article, David Ewalt could not verify exactly how analyst came up with the number 12 million current players.   He said, the information came from Kingsisle.  Whe he asked specifically howmany active and current subscriptions the games have, the answer he got was "Analysts say at least 12 million play the game regularly"  When asked for clarification, none was given and the same information was repeated.  In a letter sent to him,  he was directed to a minority shareholder/investor who said, if the 12 million number is anywhere near accurate, I would be making signficantly more money.  I suspect that number is greatly inflated and that Kingsisle is using their in house analysts to find creative ways to distort numbers.  Current measurement tools available to the industry do not support the above claim and a current study by CIMA, while not complete, shows that measurement, data interpretation and reporting of data do not support information being given out by Kingisle.  Lastly if you ask people in the financial know, they will tell you the portfolio Elie Akilian shows a disrepancy between the numbers given versus total anticipated worth of KIngsisle itself.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1

When asked about this article, David Ewalt could not verify exactly how analyst came up with the number 12 million current players.   He said, the information came from Kingsisle.  Whe he asked specifically howmany active and current subscriptions the games have, the answer he got was "Analysts say at least 12 million play the game regularly"  When asked for clarification, none was given and the same information was repeated.  In a letter sent to him,  he was directed to a minority shareholder/investor who said, if the 12 million number is anywhere near accurate, I would be making signficantly more money.  I suspect that number is greatly inflated and that Kingsisle is using their in house analysts to find creative ways to distort numbers.  Current measurement tools available to the industry do not support the above claim and a current study by CIMA, while not complete, shows that measurement, data interpretation and reporting of data do not support information being given out by Kingisle.  Lastly if you ask people in the financial know, they will tell you the portfolio Elie Akilian shows a disrepancy between the numbers given versus total anticipated worth of KIngsisle itself.

When I first read it, the numbers didn't seem accurate with the data I've seen, but I posted without my commentary on the issue.

• zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    Originally posted by Dantae87
    GOOD STUFF! this will help make all the kiddies and highschool kids who play these games feel more happy :)

And you play some really, really serious games?  Games=Fun you know.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Well there are a lot of children with a lot of time to play games. That is how movie series like Harry Potter became such massive success.
  • ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319
    Originally posted by KingJiggly
    Even more play(ed) runescape, yet I dont see it winning any awards (of course, that was before the bot nuke day). Does 101 have as many bots runescape had? I dont know the answer, I am really wondering. 

Still upset about GW2 losing to pirate 101? by the way was runescape released in 2012?

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by zomard100
    Originally posted by Dantae87 GOOD STUFF! this will help make all the kiddies and highschool kids who play these games feel more happy :)
    And you play some really, really serious games?  Games=Fun you know.

There's not a substantial difference between Wizard 101 and other MMORPG. The mechanics involved are things that you would have to do in WoW or any other MMO. You have to plan your walking path to avoid mobs if you don't want to or can't fight them. The mini boss fights are tough...you have to become powerful enough to fight the bosses. There is crafting (I didn't do it) and fairly robust housing system. There's even some sort of farming in Wizard 101. So while the games are definitely designed with children in mind, playing them as adults is not a big stretch.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by Zalmon

Still upset about GW2 losing to pirate 101? by the way was runescape released in 2012?

Hardly, I congratulated p101 several times.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

if they had anything near 12 mios, this forum would be more active

even EA didnt have the balls , to claim over 10 mios with swtor

i thought, GW2 deserved to win, back then

i still feel the same now

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    didn't 101 just switch to f2p ?
  • sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431

I can create 10.000.000 accounts on my home server too...

Nothing special: it takes one line of code and 20 minutes.

Originally posted by DamonVile
    didn't 101 just switch to f2p ?

AFAIK , they have always claimed to be that

but, paying , to open zones..?

Originally posted by sportsfan

I can create 10.000.000 accounts on my home server too...

Nothing special: it takes one line of code and 20 minutes.

i can make a real shitty game..lets talk business

i smell great opportunities

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Dantae87

Do you see the irony in what you said considering the avatar and signature that you use? yeah you scream as an 'adult' to me for sure.

*rolls eyes*

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

i think , it was irony, but it can be hard to tell

judgeing from the pic, i would say adult male..technically

maturity in a mmo forum , is like going to the chess Club , for the hot chicks and wild parties

it may happen, but dont bet on it

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    This data isn't even remotely true or else I wouldn't have such a hard time finding people for later content in Wizard101.

Smile

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by simplius

Lol, Necro a 12month old thread to tell people you haven't got over GW2 losing to Pirate101 as Game of the Year2012.

Originally posted by RefMinor

Lol, Necro a 12month old thread to tell people you haven't got over GW2 losing to Pirate101 as Game of the Year2012.

the fact, that it is considered a necro, in the MMO OF THE YEAR forum, speaks, for itself

no, i was comparing the 12 mios, with swtors 10 mios

PS in retrospect..it looks, as i was right

the fact, that it is considered a necro, in the MMO OF THE YEAR forum, speaks, for itself

no, i was comparing the 12 mios, with swtors 10 mios

PS in retrospect..it looks, as i was right

Lol, it's a kids MMO, would you want your kids hanging round at MMORPG.com

its a kids game, with questionable marketing

now, they have a MMORPG seal of approval, which is , what they came for

you dont see the problem there?

its a kids game, with questionable marketing

now, they have a MMORPG seal of approval, which is , what they came for

you dont see the problem there?

No, kids can only spend what parents let them.

oohh, sparkle ponies.

Originally posted by simplius Originally posted by RefMinor Originally posted by simplius Originally posted by Zalmon Originally posted by KingJiggly Even more play(ed) runescape, yet I dont see it winning any awards (of course, that was before the bot nuke day). Does 101 have as many bots runescape had? I dont know the answer, I am really wondering. 
    if they had anything near 12 mios, this forum would be more active even EA didnt have the balls , to claim over 10 mios with swtor i thought, GW2 deserved to win, back then i still feel the same now
    the fact, that it is considered a necro, in the MMO OF THE YEAR forum, speaks, for itself no, i was comparing the 12 mios, with swtors 10 mios PS in retrospect..it looks, as i was right
    Lol, it's a kids MMO, would you want your kids hanging round at MMORPG.com

I want my kids to be tough talkers, so yes. :-)

Originally posted by Razeekster
    This data isn't even remotely true or else I wouldn't have such a hard time finding people for later content in Wizard101.

The later content is all paid content, so there are probably going to be far fewer people at higher levels than in the first ten levels. Also, twelve million people signed up for 101 games doesn't mean that there are twelve million active players every month, and it especially doesn't mean there are twelve million concurrent players.