Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Award] General: 2012 Player's Choice Winner Announcement

Comments

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Surreal. I just visited the forums of Pirate101 on this website and I counted 18 threads. Did those voters all create an account just to vote or something?
  • VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

This is hilarious...

I'll deny nothing, I LOVE GW2.

But now I know why it's so difficult to debate people on this site...you guys love your Pirates 101!

HAHAHAHAHAHA

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• The_CommodoreThe_Commodore Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by Ardu

Apparently kids are now the experienced gamers? Just get a bunch of kids to vote for a game and the outcome will speak for itself.

KingsIsle has a bunch of fan sites towards thier games and probably they also maintain them. One thing I hate about their fan sites is no one is allowed to say anything bad about their games. 

If you’re looking to spend $10 dollars every month on subscriptions and spend $60 dollars on loot packs then KingsIsle's games are right for you.

LOL Not aloud to say anything bad about them? All of the KI fansites and forums welcome criticism, as long as it is constructive, not hating trolling spam you write on all of them, never listening to anyone elses point of view. -.-"

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”

~Mahatma Gandhi

Originally posted by Rayshe
    This is my question : According to the Game List P101 is a game still in development. How can a game that has yet to be release be game of the year. Its like saying that the new Tomb raider is the 2012 Console game of the year even though its has yet to be released.

Trust me, it's out, I have played it since beta. I guess this site isn't that fast with updating their info. Although you can call any game still in development if their are still updates planned for it and features to be added. P101 is still in it's infancy, so still much more to come, I guess it is still in development then, but anyone can play it now, so it's out alright.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”

~Mahatma Gandhi

• ArduArdu Member CommonPosts: 55
    Originally posted by The_Commodore
    Originally posted by Ardu

Apparently kids are now the experienced gamers? Just get a bunch of kids to vote for a game and the outcome will speak for itself.

KingsIsle has a bunch of fan sites towards thier games and probably they also maintain them. One thing I hate about their fan sites is no one is allowed to say anything bad about their games. 

If you’re looking to spend $10 dollars every month on subscriptions and spend $60 dollars on loot packs then KingsIsle's games are right for you.

LOL Not aloud to say anything bad about them? All of the KI fansites and forums welcome criticism, as long as it is constructive, not hating trolling spam you write on all of them, never listening to anyone elses point of view. -.-"

I always do my best at stating my opinions in a constructive manner. But anything that’s negative about KingsIsle or about thier games is just a rant to their fans. Absolutely bias community…

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    Originally posted by Zalmon

Yeah here we go again. . All 12 years old play Pirate 101 and only adults play GW2. I am glad you got your facts right.

Also is it a coincidence that biggest cry babies on these topic are GW2 fans? i mean TSW also lost along with other MMOS on the list. How many TSW supporters you see making a big deal about it? tells you something about the grown ups that play GW2 doesn't it?

Yea except TSW didn't come all that close.  GW2 lost to Pirates101 by less than 1% of the voting.  That's probably where most fo the complaining is coming from.  But it wouldn't matter.  GW2 could have won and Pirates101 could have been runner up and that STILL would have been ridiculous. 

Pirates101 is a very child centric mmo.  It's not talked about much by any mmo community, and its not really something that's ever been on the radar of any community until this poll.  Even then most of the people in favor of the poll are just that way because GW2 didn't get the vote.  They say as much. 

Pirates101 game of the year?  Is this really what this community voted for?  I doubt it.  Look at the most popular game meter here on the site.  Where is Pirate101 on there?  Its not.  It doesn't even begin to rank.  Now it might be a good little game for people to mess with.  Kids proably like it okay although a lot of them are probably playing something else.  My 10 year old son would think that game was lame. 

Now you folks can gripe at each other and carry on all you like.  But to seriously say that Pirate101 is a worthy winner of mmorpg of the year on any site, any where, is laughable.  Most of you don't play it, have never played it, and I doubt you've even gone and looked at gameplay videos.  I've at least done that.  You should too.  Go.  Look.  THAT?  That is game of the year?  No its not.  Its not even on the radar. 

• Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166
    lulz P101 is game of the year lulz shows how much KIDS rule the MMORPG world as that is what that game is for

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

Is this the, 'let distance ourselves from the GW2 fanbois for the advertisers push'?

Lets say, 'no', lets say things happen you don't expect, (like getting a new cpu that doesn't fit your motherboard, so you'll have to get a new one tomorrow), so lets say congrats Pirates!

Seems implausible really, I admit I have little to do with GW2 these days but it has been most people's choice on these forums and frankly it would be mine.  That it isn't, and the fact another game noone talks about is, makes one wonder.....

Oh and Merry Christmas all! :)

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319
    Originally posted by Corehaven

Yeah here we go again. . All 12 years old play Pirate 101 and only adults play GW2. I am glad you got your facts right.

Also is it a coincidence that biggest cry babies on these topic are GW2 fans? i mean TSW also lost along with other MMOS on the list. How many TSW supporters you see making a big deal about it? tells you something about the grown ups that play GW2 doesn't it?

Yea except TSW didn't come all that close.  GW2 lost to Pirates101 by less than 1% of the voting.  That's probably where most fo the complaining is coming from.  But it wouldn't matter.  GW2 could have won and Pirates101 could have been runner up and that STILL would have been ridiculous. 

Pirates101 is a very child centric mmo.  It's not talked about much by any mmo community, and its not really something that's ever been on the radar of any community until this poll.  Even then most of the people in favor of the poll are just that way because GW2 didn't get the vote.  They say as much. 

Pirates101 game of the year?  Is this really what this community voted for?  I doubt it.  Look at the most popular game meter here on the site.  Where is Pirate101 on there?  Its not.  It doesn't even begin to rank.  Now it might be a good little game for people to mess with.  Kids proably like it okay although a lot of them are probably playing something else.  My 10 year old son would think that game was lame. 

Now you folks can gripe at each other and carry on all you like.  But to seriously say that Pirate101 is a worthy winner of mmorpg of the year on any site, any where, is laughable.  Most of you don't play it, have never played it, and I doubt you've even gone and looked at gameplay videos.  I've at least done that.  You should too.  Go.  Look.  THAT?  That is game of the year?  No its not.  Its not even on the radar. 

The point here is not whether TSW lost by a large margin but the point is that its community is mature and understands that Pirate 101 has a very dedicated playerbase which came forward to represent. If TSW players also put in similar effort we would have won too. But we didn't so big deal? ehh?

Now whether any MMO on that poll is worth of winning a "game of the year award "or not is decided by the players like you and me. As far as your kid thinking that game is lame means nothing really. Unless he and you universally speak for all the players.

I like how you add 'you folks can continue to grip' after griping for one full paragraph. lol

What i get from your rambling is that 'i hate the game so every one else should hate it too'. And  i thought you really understood a little fact of life when i told you last time that 'different people like different things in life'.

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    I voted for Pirate101. GREAT GAME! Just posting this so the Pirate101 deniers have a little fuel about that small Pirate101 player base :-Dhttp://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5476098/thread/372975#5476098  <--new thread at the MMORPG Pirate101 forums! Good Luck with the barely known argument / low fan base argument.

The point here is not whether TSW lost by a large margin but the point is that its community is mature and understands that Pirate 101 has a very dedicated playerbase which came forward to represent. If TSW players also put in similar effort we would have won too. But we didn't so big deal? ehh?

Now whether any MMO on that poll is worth of winning a "game of the year award "or not is decided by the players like you and me. As far as your kid thinking that game is lame means nothing really. Unless he and you universally speak for all the players.

I like how you add 'you folks can continue to grip' after griping for one full paragraph. lol

What i get from your rambling is that 'i hate the game so every one else should hate it too'. And  i thought you really understood a little fact of life when i told you last time that 'different people like different things in life'.

Why would I hate the game?  I don't. 

As you said the very fact that their playerbase came in mass here and voted, thus creating the result, doesn't really matter.  As any game could have done that.  Therefore making the vote entirely pointless. 

Was that the point you were trying to make?  Because you just made it.  And I totally agree with you.   That was actually my point too. 

As for your little fact of life, "different people like different things in life" I have to admit that totally blew my mind oh wise sage of saginess.  Did you come up with that all by yourself?  I mean what an utter revelation you have there.  Wow. 

Allow me to explain something to you.  Saying completely obvious as hell things as though you are teaching some kind of lesson to someone you don't even know doesn't make you look smart or sophisticated.   Does the opposite. 

• RedJorgeRedJorge Member Posts: 106
    Originally posted by xpowderx
    I voted for Pirate101. GREAT GAME! Just posting this so the Pirate101 deniers have a little fuel about that small Pirate101 player base :-Dhttp://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5476098/thread/372975#5476098  <--new thread at the MMORPG Pirate101 forums! Good Luck with the barely known argument / low fan base argument.

OMG!

You mean 101 has more players than all games around, even WoW?

And I just checked that Pirates 101 just missed the Most Innovative Award for 0.6%. Close call!

Leonard: Penny, you are on fire.
    Penny: Yes, so is Sheldon.
    [laughs]
    Sheldon: Okay, that's it. I don't know how, but she is cheating. No-one can be that attractive and this skilled at a video game.
    [walks away]
    Penny: Wait, wait. Sheldon. Come back, you forgot something.
    Sheldon: What?
    Penny: This plasma grenade.
    [explosion]
    Penny: [laughs] Look! It's raining you.
    Sheldon: You laugh now. You just wait until you need tech support. (Big Bang Theory)

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

Congrats to P101 for taking GotY. I've not played the game and it doesn't interest me so I don't plan to. As far as them winning, either they simply had more loyal fans rocking the vote or people who did not want GW2 to win simply voted for P101.

Super happy to see ESO win Most Anticipated. I love TES and hope this MMO is worthy of the series. =) I cant' wait for the beta.

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842
    For some reason I've never even heard of this Pirate101. And even if it won something in this poll, it still isn't worth of investigating.
    Originally posted by Mortemia
    For some reason I've never even heard of this Pirate101. And even if it won something in this poll, it still isn't worth of investigating.

Well you could do what I did, and go check out a few youtube game player videos of it.  And then you know....decide you suspected correctly all along that.....indeed......it wasn't worth investigating. 

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

lol... Is this a joke?

Pirate 101? Did they pay you guys or something? :D

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by firefly2003
    Originally posted by Scalpless

Well, that's surprising. Good to see strategy RPGs still have a following, even though I don't play Pirate 101.

I still wonder why people seem to be excited about TESO, though.

I wondered that as well TESO seems so much like SWTOR all over again, I've been pretty much avoiding that title like the plague . Besides why do people want to play TESO or even get excited about it when you can play Skyrim with the multiplayer mod now?

That's a really good point. It seems like the notion of what TESO can be is far outweighing what it's so far shown to really be.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Originally posted by Dantae87
    lulz P101 is game of the year lulz shows how much KIDS rule the MMORPG world as that is what that game is for

I would argue that Pirate101 and Wizard101 aren't so much kid games as they are FAMILY games - I've seen many a post about parents who play the game with their children, an occurrance which isn't nearly as frequently in the other games that were nominated.

<3

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Well thats it.. I can no longer take anyone from or on this site seriously anymore. Staff and community included. 

Edit - You know what... I will just chop this one up to being rigged. 

• metin2846947metin2846947 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Kingisle is cool but is not that good that game only won because kids do what their told
  • StrayfeStrayfe Member UncommonPosts: 199

Isn't this game made by the same company who made another game where you can't type in chat, you have to select from pre-programmed phrases and try to communicate like an MS-DOS era cleverbot?

Yeah.  I'm no Guild Wars 2 fan, but if this is the type of game that's winning GOTY these days, I pity the state of gaming.

Originally posted by Corehaven

Why would I hate the game?  I don't. 

As you said the very fact that their playerbase came in mass here and voted, thus creating the result, doesn't really matter.  As any game could have done that.  Therefore making the vote entirely pointless. 

Was that the point you were trying to make?  Because you just made it.  And I totally agree with you.   That was actually my point too. 

As for your little fact of life, "different people like different things in life" I have to admit that totally blew my mind oh wise sage of saginess.  Did you come up with that all by yourself?  I mean what an utter revelation you have there.  Wow. 

Allow me to explain something to you.  Saying completely obvious as hell things as though you are teaching some kind of lesson to someone you don't even know doesn't make you look smart or sophisticated.   Does the opposite. 

You're still stating all of this as if this is a fact, instead of just your opinion. Oh, and by the way, watching gameplay videos is not enough to judge some games, and Pirate101 is one of those games, so talk to me once you have actually played it yourself (don't worry, it downloads stuff as you go to new areas instead of all at once so it won't make your computer slow as hell).

~Mahatma Gandhi

• umie214umie214 Member Posts: 123

i think i speak for many when i ask...what the fuck is Pirate 101?

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Originally posted by umie214

i think i speak for many when i ask...what the fuck is Pirate 101?

Originally posted by Eluldor

Looked into this some after the awards here :) For Wizard101 and Pirate101 combined

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidewalt/2012/12/06/kingsisle-entertainments-path-to-video-game-victory/

Today there are more than 30 million registered Wizard101 players in the U.S., with 5 million joining in the last six months alone. Analysts say at least 12 million play the game regularly.

Players can also buy virtual currency called Crowns and spend it on in-game pets and gear. It’s now in 65,000 outlets, including Wal-Mart, GameStop, Target and CVS. “The [cards] really are a standout,” says Brad Schliesser, GameStop’s director of retail digital distribution, because parents like limiting their kids’ spending.

A little excerpt... original thread can be found here:http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/816/view/forums/thread/372975/Forbes-12-million-Play-101-Games.html

• Dimsum1337Dimsum1337 Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Hax! Wtf is Pirate101?!!!!