Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.COM should remove WAR Z Graphic

TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

MMORPG.com prides itself on respecting the intellectual property of others, hence the reason emulators are not discussed.  But as has already been pointed out, the graphic next to the forum description is a copyright infringement of The Walking Dead.  It should be removed.

Comments

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    There has been no copyright claim.  Only a person who noticed the source of their artwork.  

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    There has been no copyright claim.  Only a person who noticed the source of their artwork.  

Mmorpg should remove WarZ period, it is a scam product made by get rich quick scam team.

I never bought the game. Simple reason they were releasing it in alpha stage. How is that a scam because people cant read? They clearly stated this, just so many people didnt read that and thought it was going to be a complete and functional game. They wanted the game now and didnt want to wait.

And no im not a fanboi, i dont own it. Just common sense to research before you buy lol.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    This topic was a concern regarding the artwork being copyright infringement, which it is not.  The WarZ has plenty of other issues to deal with, but this one is pretty minor in comparison.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

Just curious, i havent kept up with this. But did they ask TWD to use the graphics? Or maybe the artist? Just seems t me TWD crew would be all over this if they actualy stole this stuff. Again not trying to create conflict just curious. Is WarZ totaly at fault?
  • PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646
    This topic was a concern regarding the artwork being copyright infringement, which it is not.  The WarZ has plenty of other issues to deal with, but this one is pretty minor in comparison.

Confused...

First you say the artwork is not an issue...  A few words later you say it's only minor in comparison.

So, is the artwork stolen or is it not?

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

It absolutely is copyright infringement.  You don't need to make a claim of ownership for it to infringe upon the owner of the original image.  War Z already acknowledged it was copyright infringement, fired the artist, and pulled the image. 

I believe it's continued use here has simply been an oversight.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

Pretty sure you can't just go around using other people's photos for their marketing campaign as your own.

We'll find out soon enough. Would imagine after the holidays this will probably be brought more into question. Doubt AMC was even aware of this until recently. If they even are yet.

Could get mighty interesting considering I wouldn't be surprised if Valve is considering all their options too.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Originally posted by Terranah

It absolutely is copyright infringement.  You don't need to make a claim of ownership for it to infringe upon the owner of the original image.  War Z already acknowledged it was copyright infringement, fired the artist, and pulled the image. 

I believe it's continued use here has simply been an oversight.

I see, that is bad. Yes should be removed.

But its the holidays you might not see that happen for awhile.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Its sort of fitting in a way, with so much of the game, including its EULA copied from other games. Totalbiscuit pretty much says it all on his youtube vids, think anyone even considering buying this game, should watch it before going ahead with the purchase, so that they can at least make an 'informed' choice.. that is.. if the game is still even for sale. image
    Originally posted by Phry
    Its sort of fitting in a way, with so much of the game, including its EULA copied from other games. Totalbiscuit pretty much says it all on his youtube vids, think anyone even considering buying this game, should watch it before going ahead with the purchase, so that they can at least make an 'informed' choice.. that is.. if the game is still even for sale. image

Of course it is...

They've seen a 25% increase in sales thanks to all the free publicity!

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I posted an image in the initial post to clear up any confusion.  As was mentioned it's Christmas, so I'm sure most people including the moderators are enjoying it with their families and won't get around to it till after the holidays.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    They stole their ad art?

Geez how much extra is it to get a couple people in zombie makeup. Better yet draw some zombies
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by Terranah

I posted an image in the initial post to clear up any confusion.  As was mentioned it's Christmas, so I'm sure most people including the moderators are enjoying it with their families and won't get around to it till after the holidays.

They could always go the Vanilla Ice route and claim it is unique since they photo shopped some hair on them.

>_>

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Originally posted by bcbully
    They stole their ad art?Geez how much extra is it to get a couple people in zombie makeup. Better yet draw some zombies

It was easier to scan it in and use some touch up software. The funny thing is the already have a court order to stop using the name War Z, in the next week there will be another copyright infringement case. This time over stealing and using photos without permission. So yes this site should pull the War Z adds and Logo before it becomes a problem for them.

I wonder why they not yet change the name of the forums since there already been a copyright judgement and a cease and desist order on the name.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942
    Originally posted by DMKano

Mmorpg should remove WarZ period, it is a scam product made by get rich quick scam team.

if thats the case. most games should be removed from this site.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    Totally obvious...Gosh that's terrible.  I understand influences, but this is almost a cut and paste....
  • MMOdad72MMOdad72 Member Posts: 93

Have the War Z ads been removed yet ?

I would think that if mmorpg.com had a slight bit of integrity they would at the least quit taking money from them and running ads for it.