Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] The Elder Scrolls Online: Why We Love Daedra

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In our latest column devoted to The Elder Scrolls Online, we take a look at the Daedra, the perennial bad guys of the Elder Scrolls universe. See what we've got to say and then leave your thoughts in the comments.

There are a number of things to think about in this statement. The first is Molag Bal himself. The haunted house from Skyrim still scares the crap out of me. The prince of pure evil looks to play a big role in Elder Scrolls Online and honestly he is the perfect villain. Based on the lore, Molag Bal is also the creator of vampires which we know will also play a part in the game. So this adds up to both undead and daedric spawn of destruction. Some of the artwork shows this very fact coming to life. Also when we demoed the game we did a public dungeon called Crow’s Wood which had a few undead aspects to it. While there are a lot of monsters in the game, the idea of fighting daedra fueled undead is really pretty enticing to my sensibilities.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's The Elder Scrolls Online: Why We Love Daedra.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

"undead and daedric spawn of destruction"

Sign me up muhahaha!

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    So, you are essentially reporting about spawning Giant Monsters and Rifts of Daedra/undead.  Any insight on how these will be creatively handled, other than lore appropriate skins?  The Daedra hearts might be one such thing.   Any other hints they've dropped? 

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• MavekMavek Member Posts: 138

So this can be summed up as molag bal being the endgame raid boss, anchors are exactly like rifts in... rift and there are world bosses known as titans?  I just hope the daedric undead are more creative than the GW2 answer of reskinning normal monsters because there is an adjective before their name. (i.e. deadric undead is a darker colored version of undead)

I hate seeing this franchise turned into an mmo :(

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    I for one am happy that this franchise is turning into a mmo! TES games are fantastic but some of us want alittle more, adventure with friends and strangers, I for one, am so looking forward to this game!
  • Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839
    I DONT CARE WHAT ANYONE SAYS THIS GAME IS GONNA ROCK!
    Originally posted by Allacore69

Yup!  haters can hate all they want.  I'll take a high production quality, non-WoW clone, Fun and engaging Themepark all day long over the boring and dull time sinks  of a Sandbox all day long.

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• maddog15amaddog15a Member UncommonPosts: 83
    I got a sinking feeling in my stomach that this is gona be swtor all over again...
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by maddog15a
    I got a sinking feeling in my stomach that this is gona be swtor all over again...

This^^^

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• Soldier101Soldier101 Member Posts: 111

I think you might be right.

• znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203

I hope ESO get rid of crafted gear in any NPC loot, crafting materiars should be looted instead only.

Otherwise content will be consumed too fast, and no lock-on skills please.

Other then that ESO look great.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Yup!  haters can hate all they want.  I'll take a high production quality, non-WoW clone, Fun and engaging Themepark all day long over the boring and dull time sinks  of a Sandbox all day long.

lol non WoW clone. Right. See sig.

Originally posted by karmath
    Originally posted by azzamasin

lol non WoW clone. Right. See sig.

Im not a fanboi as I do have apprehension from some elements of the game.  Mostly stemming from the mega server technology and the raiding implementation that was announced.  But to call anyone a fanboy because they look forward to a title regardless of any shortcommings is astoundingly myopic.  Let me guess you dont have any MMO's your looking forward to?  Or is it that only sandbox lovers are the only ones who are allowed to look forward to a title.  Something tells me your narrow world views favor the latter.  Especailly considering your rabid fanboi'ish attitude to DF:UW.

• zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    Finally something about probably could be the best mmo of 2013
  • zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228

Sure it will be. Who cares about  troll kiddies :)

• health001health001 Member UncommonPosts: 58
    3 player factions for a game is gonna kill it ;/ look at aion just 2 factions and trying to keep it even was next to impossable
  • chriswsmchriswsm Member UncommonPosts: 383

3 player factions worked well in DAOC for several years and many of the DAOC team are now working for Zenimax.

As for TESO  initially I was really up for this then my enthusiasm took a nose dive when I heard you could not explore the realms of the other factions.

My enthusiasm was revived with the recent videos and podcasts. The Off the Record podcast Episode 43 called "Hands-On with The Elder Scrolls Online"  is the best one I have heard.

I do not think TESO will be perfect, I dont think a MMO can be perfect.  I think TESO will be playable and enjoyable until something better comes along

I used to visit this site a lot however in recent years it has become the home of negative forum posts, illogical opinions and tantrums so I visit less often.

Played or Beta'd: UO / DAOC / Horizons / EQ2 / DDO / EVE / Archlord / PirateKingsOnline / Tabula Rasa / LOTRO / AOC / Champions / Darkfall / Mortal Online / DCUO / Rift / STO / SWTOR / TSW

• LizardoneLizardone Member Posts: 93
    Seems PvE will be like TES IV Oblivion, except that it doesn't matter if the main story line was completed, these dark anchors will spawn in open world. I don't mind, as long as these anchors don't spawn in each corner. The most fun I had with daedra in past games was doing their quests and exploring the daedric ruins. Back in TES III:Morrowind, I loved to spend time exploring daedric ruins even though I didn't have any quest. There were areas that could only be reached with a leviitation spell.
  • DraxonflyDraxonfly Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Can't wait.. Game keeps sounding better and better.. looking forward to it! !! 
  • SilverbranchSilverbranch Member UncommonPosts: 195

I'll give anything a try, benefit of the doubt.  To do otherwise isn't particularly insightful.  Sort of the old addage:  "People find what they are looking for".

If you've decided beforehand something will suck, then most likely it will.  To you.  Because youv'e already decided and your head is programmed to look for "proof" of your perceptive intellect.

I'll keep a silver-lining outlook going.  The Elder Scrolls titles have always been super, a reflection of the team behind those creations.

I will say though:

When will we see something actually DIFFERENT, more expansive, in an MMO?  We've all heard the suggestions over the years, but still, in the middle of all the drek there are some diamonds.  When will we see the genre actually evolve, instead of simply being remixed?

Persistent World to Living World.  Meaning a non-static map, encounter, and reaction paradigm in the world itself.  From quests, to towns and cities, even countries / peoples, etc.

Presentation of more than just "hack and slash" as measures of game success.  How about Building?  Music?  Art?  At a rudimentary level Turbine's implementation of their Music System would be an example here.  Best "Fluff" / community fun feature ever seen in any game, ever.

Homes and Property.  A somewhat touchy subject depending on who you talk to, but IMO represents a next stage to this idea of a "persistent living world" in an MMO.  What is a key thing that represents us, who we are?  Where we live, the place we call home, the town we live in, the people we know.  That we have an interest in defending against intrusion, trusted neighbors to aid.

Any rate:  Elder Scrolls will be worth a look for sure.  Will it be more than a re-canning of the same-oh (structurally)?

Can't say at this point.  But Bethesda will get a few of my dollars to find out.

Wherever you go, there you are.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Soldier101

I think you might be right.

I think you, and he might be wrong.

Isn't it great to live in a country where everyone can have, and voice their own opinions???

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by health001
    3 player factions for a game is gonna kill it ;/ look at aion just 2 factions and trying to keep it even was next to impossable

Look at DAoC three factions were what made the game shine and it did well for several years before Mythic tried to make it into a EQ clone with Trials of Atlanris.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

the problem is not that people dont want other players in their TES game....we do. we would love to have our friends joining in our adventures in real time. the problem is that people dont want TES molded into a WoW clone game.

this is what pisses me off to no end about this TES mmo. instead of taking the hard road and adding a multiplayer to the existing TES worlds(even limited to 50 players or something),they have tanke a "general run of the mill mmo template" and reskinned it with TES lore.

you know what this does? this makes the TES mmo feel like just one more run of the mill mmo that we have all played a million times. We are sick and tired of run of the mill general mmos. We want a TES world where we can play with a few of our friends and maybe even port our character into an "arena like" instance where we fight vs other players or teams. that's all.

for the love of God, stop taking the "insert general mmo template" and reskinning it with "popular franchise theme" and force feeding it to us. it all just ends up tasting the same, because it IS the exact same crap with just a new skin. you are not fooling anyone.

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

the problem is not that people dont want other players in their TES game....we do. we would love to have our friends joining in our adventures in real time. the problem is that people dont want TES molded into a WoW clone game.

this is what pisses me off to no end about this TES mmo. instead of taking the hard road and adding a multiplayer to the existing TES worlds(even limited to 50 players or something),they have tanke a "general run of the mill mmo template" and reskinned it with TES lore.

you know what this does? this makes the TES mmo feel like just one more run of the mill mmo that we have all played a million times. We are sick and tired of run of the mill general mmos. We want a TES world where we can play with a few of our friends and maybe even port our character into an "arena like" instance where we fight vs other players or teams. that's all.

for the love of God, stop taking the "insert general mmo template" and reskinning it with "popular franchise theme" and force feeding it to us. it all just ends up tasting the same, because it IS the exact same crap with just a new skin. you are not fooling anyone.

First you cant take things like killing NPC's, stealing blocks of cheese, or some of the myriad other single player experiences  and port them over to a massively multiplayer game, it just wouldnt work.  However you can take many of the features and port them over.  Things like active blocking, free form character progression in a class based structure, open world free form exploration centric gameplay and meaningful storylines.

Since were talking about MMO's then you need to have systems in place that allows hundreds or thousands of players to interact.  Systems that are common to our genre, like PvP systems, AH's, Questing, RvR, Loot, raiding,  group interaction. 

I implore you to name me 1 clone like feature, just be warned that saying it is so doesnt make it correct.  You sir are not jean luc picard.

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

From what I've heard from the reviewers, Kill cams are in. There are no kill cams in WoW, thus no WoW clone. ;-)

I jest of course. But seriously, folks, in the words of the Elk:

"The project is in good hands, everyone, rest assured." ~ Michael Kirkbride

Now, I for one, can't wait for the beta.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    Don't get excited one way or the other, the truth is we just don't know, and won't till we get to really give it a try. Till we see some independent reviews/previews.