Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am flabbergasted with Most Innovative 2012 MMORPG.com Players' Choice Award.

Comments

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Originally posted by hikaru77

Nothing in GW2 is innovative, everything have been done before, but is a players choices, and a lot of people think it is. 

Since the OP won't respond I'll ask you then. If not GW2, then what game deserved it for being "most innovative"?

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Originally posted by smh_alot
    ? Hasn't been a remarkable year? There was SWTOR(WoW in space), TSW(Wow in modern times), GW2(OG), TERA(Aion with better combat but less depth), Dayz(Meh), Planetside 2(Grindfest), WoW expansion(Talent Trees? No.), a little MMO/CORPG something for everyone. Sure, not every game will be to everyone's taste esp to those looking for a very specific type of MMO experience or who want to recreate the MMORPG experience they had when they first started playing MMO's, but compare it with the last 6 years or so and I think that 2012 has shown more MMO additions in a wider variety of gameplay features and settings than what's usual in the MMO field.

So this year we had Gw2. Pmuch the only worthy title up there, though i do own or play most of them... Gw2 is the only innovative one.

@ OP

Everything about Gw2 is Innovative... have you played it?

Originally posted by Maelzrael

So this year we had Gw2. Pmuch the only worthy title up there, though i do own or play most of them... Gw2 is the only innovative one.

@ OP

Everything about Gw2 is Innovative... have you played it?

Pretty much.

I'm guessing his post was directed at me which all he did was prove my remark. Think he missed the point that I was commenting on the innovation factor in relation to my comment.

Although I beg to differ that everything is innovative in the game. Compared to what else came out though the only real case one could make far as I'm concerned to a degree is DayZ far as being comparable in innovation.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    If you can't see what ArenaNet improved on and what new things they added you might want to get glasses.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by taus01
    Originally posted by RedJorge

Please indulge me.

After the initial shock of GW2 getting GOTY second place against Pirates 101, I was really thinking about all the innovative features that must have contributed for GW2 Most Innovative award.

And besides Fractals, I could not find anything in GW2 that has not been already created before in other games.

Do you see any other innovation of GW2 that is eluding me?

They spent most for advertising on these sites. That is all, nothing else to it. That is also why they won best game on so many sites. It's a payed competition, ask some insiders how "ratings" are done. It is a well known fact that review sites are all payed with advertisements.

^^ Exactly this.

I find some sites are a *little* more honest in their critiques, but this site in particular is heavily influenced by $$$.  To the OP, the only thing that is eluding you is your lack of awareness of how the system works.  GW2 wasn't the Mesiah of gaming as so many fortold (as you know) and as fewer and fewer fanboys cling to.  Its just the same old same old with a pretty candy coating and a bitter, hollow core.

Its not about better, or innovation, or whatever metric they purport, rather its who stuffed who's wallet the most for better ratings. 

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Please indulge me.

After the initial shock of GW2 getting GOTY second place against Pirates 101, I was really thinking about all the innovative features that must have contributed for GW2 Most Innovative award.

And besides Fractals, I could not find anything in GW2 that has not been already created before in other games.

No real competition, what did you expect?

Originally posted by Telondariel 

I find some sites are a *little* more honest in their critiques, but this site in particular is heavily influenced by $$$.  To the OP, the only thing that is eluding you is your lack of awareness of how the system works.  GW2 wasn't the Mesiah of gaming as so many fortold (as you know) and as fewer and fewer fanboys cling to.  Its just the same old same old with a pretty candy coating and a bitter, hollow core.

Its not about better, or innovation, or whatever metric they purport, rather its who stuffed who's wallet the most for better ratings. 

Right...sure...

Too bad apparently those behind Pirates 101 must have stuffed their pockets with more money so they won mmo of the year from here.

/floats back down to planet earth

• tv2zulutv2zulu Member UncommonPosts: 73

Sometimes, especially in games, the result is more than the sum of its parts.

I know that complaining and picking apart game mechanics, claiming nothing is ever new anymore is all the rage, but seriously, it's getting old.

Cinematography hasn't changed very much the last 20 years either, yet people can still enjoy movies without bickering about them being; "all the same".

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Nothing in GW2 is innovative, everything have been done before, but is a players choices, and a lot of people think it is. 

Since the OP won't respond I'll ask you then. If not GW2, then what game deserved it for being "most innovative"?

TSW is probably more innovative. DE have been done before by Rift and Warhammer PQs (DE are pretty much  improved Public quest from Warhammer), The WvWvW system is a copy and paste of DAOC and WAR 1.4 Update; Dodge system, done before by games like AoC as an example (it was more complex than GW2), even STO have a dodge system. No trinity, any console game where eveyone is just dps, like GW2. Again, is players choices, so a lot of people really believe that GW2 is new and innovative, but in the real world, is not.  

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Not much innovation going around. Someone has to win it.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Guild Wars 2 is not innovative at all.
  • dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    According to some peoples definition of innovative, I don't think anything truly can be innovative or atleast if it was it wouldn't fit inside the "MMMORPG" genre instead having to create a new one.
    Originally posted by dlld
    According to some peoples definition of innovative, I don't think anything truly can be innovative or atleast if it was it wouldn't fit inside the "MMMORPG" genre instead having to create a new one.

That sums it up well.

For some everything is simply a variation of Pong. Unless of course it is a game they're pining over.

• rygar218rygar218 Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Originally posted by Yamota

Keep in mind that innovative is not the same as inventing. Inventing means creating something new where as innovative means doing something new from something that already exists. So with that I think GW 2 deserved that because:

1. Dynamic Events is arguably doing WARs Public Quest and rifts in Rift in a new way.
    2. Weapon swapping in combat was also done in a new sort of way.
    3. The World vs World mechanic is yet another innovative way of doing RvR
    4. Finally these vista mechanic is also pretty innovative.
    5. Lack of trinity system. Again games like AC 1 did it long time ago but GW 2 did it in a new way.
    Now does all these translate into a great MMORPG? No, I dont think so because neither of these brought longetivity in the game and quickly became repetetive. However I cannot deny that GW 2 was pretty innovative, for a ThemePark that is.

I do think TERA deserves an honorable mention in the way it does combat and BAMs and the Vanarch system but since the game is pretty boring overall I think alot of people overlook the things it did innovate on.

For Yamota,

Innovative

Adjective

<div vk_sh"="">
    1. (of a product, idea, etc.) Featuring new methods; "advanced and original."
    2. (of a person) Introducing new ideas; original and creative in thinking: "an innovative thinker".

The only thing I can think that this game did as far as innovative was make it so that killing enemies everyone has their own loot and exp and the same with harvesting nodes. So no more fighting over nodes and creatures. However, that hurts the social aspect of a MMO cause you no longer really need to group for anything just run around and bash and hit everything.

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

TSW is probably more innovative. DE have been done before by Rift and Warhammer PQs (DE are pretty much  improved Public quest from Warhammer), The WvWvW system is a copy and paste of DAOC and WAR 1.4 Update; Dodge system, done before by games like AoC as an example (it was more complex than GW2), even STO have a dodge system. No trinity, any console game where eveyone is just dps, like GW2. Again, is players choices, so a lot of people really believe that GW2 is new and innovative, but in the real world, is not.  

And what is innovative about TSW? I only played a beta trial of some type, and didn't care for it too much.

If it has something i missed, i may give it another go.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    More innovative than anything else on that list.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Please indulge me.

They spent most for advertising on these sites. That is all, nothing else to it. That is also why they won best game on so many sites. It's a payed competition, ask some insiders how "ratings" are done. It is a well known fact that review sites are all payed with advertisements.

Stop.

Take a breath.

Once you're relaxed,

take off the tinfoil hat

and tell us more about how everyone here,

except you of course,

was paid to vote for GW2.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Please indulge me.

Stop.

Take a breath.

Once you're relaxed,

take off the tinfoil hat

and tell us more about how everyone here,

except you of course,

was paid to vote for GW2.

Lol

I really enjoyed TSW. In some ways more than GW2 by far.

Still, I don't see how it was more innovative.

Better story lines, fucking way better dungeon design, etc.

But more innovative? Sorry, don't see it.

Yeah, just because you say gw2 is not innovative doesnt make tsw innovative. Now, pirate101...

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

What about the way the quests were presented?

The same I can say about GW2. The presentation of the quests.

Isn't this enough to be considered innovative? Disregarding everything else in both games.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by Marcus-

And what is innovative about TSW? I only played a beta trial of some type, and didn't care for it too much.

If it has something i missed, i may give it another go.

I'm not saying TSW is more innovative than any other game, but here are a few things it introduced to MMOs:

• The ability wheel; character can switch at any time to any role (tank, healer, dps and everything in between).  Add to this the ability to completely customize your character to your own play style. 
    • Level-free, class-free system (yes, gear QL is part of it, but it's not the whole picture)
    • Investigation missions that require player out-of-the-box thinking and puzzle solving skills to complete (unless you go to spoiler sites).  Puzzles aren't new to computer games, but they have somehow been forgotten by the MMO genre
    • Sabotage missions that require stealth and non-combat to complete
    • Quest system that is story based rather than hub-based.  Finishing a quest takes you to a new area for questing, and does not force you to return to the hub
    • Modern day setting with ties to real world tech -- cell phone; in-game browser and websites that are part of the the game's storyline
    • An in-game stage/theater that gives players props, lighting effects, weather and sound to put on in-game plays
    There may be more, but that's a good start.

Originally posted by NBlitz

Isn't this enough to be considered innovative? Disregarding everything else in both games.

Nope. It is never enough for the fanboys and trolls. Never, ever enough. 

Can we just close all threads pertaining to "innovation"? It always end up with people arguing the definition and not answering the real question. Then you bring other games in and it is a interforum war.

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

All the little features to create the systems in GW2 are what are innovative.

Dynamic Events overall presentation and structure are an innovation on Warhammers PQ foundation, and a further improvement on Rifts system.

Hearts  are an innovative twist again in the presentation and structure of the traditional quest.

Classes and Combat are yet another innovative twist on how traditional fantasy archetypes and roles are percieved. Yes the individual features in combat have been pretty much done in other MMO's but please point to me a single MMO that shares the exact same combat as GW2. It is the number of all of the little improvements that make it unique and innovative.

There are many other small examples I could come up with, but my overall point is that the enitre package of little improvements is what made GW2 innovative. If you boil it down feature by feature, then yes most of it has been done elsewhere. However, games are more then feature bullet points. They should be treated as a total package and rated as such.

Originally posted by NBlitz

They were both innovative in their own ways far as I'm concerned. DEs were a great step forward in design in making them more organic and (for some...I stress some) more heroic.

TSW's implementation of adding puzzle elements and research was also a nice change of pace.

It was also nice how both games used exploration to a degree to uncover some quests rather than have everything marked off on their maps.

Far as questing goes they both excelled in that area. Would love to see other games evolve these concepts even further.

This discussion has been closed.