Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 is not Pay-to-Win!

RedJorgeRedJorge Member Posts: 106

GW2 is Pay-to-Save-Time-and-Effort.

With such a good rate between gems and gold, using a few bucks gives access to gems that can be trade for a lot of gold. BINGO!

Buy all the exotics you need and enjoy.

Leonard: Penny, you are on fire.
Penny: Yes, so is Sheldon.
[laughs]
Sheldon: Okay, that's it. I don't know how, but she is cheating. No-one can be that attractive and this skilled at a video game.
[walks away]
Penny: Wait, wait. Sheldon. Come back, you forgot something.
Sheldon: What?
Penny: This plasma grenade.
[explosion]
Penny: [laughs] Look! It's raining you.
Sheldon: You laugh now. You just wait until you need tech support. (Big Bang Theory)

Comments

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

yeah, I agree.

I have heard people complain about the increasing cost of gems bought with gold.  These same people will complain about Gold sellers spamming email and map chat. 

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by RedJorge

Which in a game structured like GW2 equals Pay To Win.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by Volgore

Actually, no, it doesn't.

The stats power curve is pretty shallow in this game. When I hit level 80, I buy masterworks for my armor and rares for my weapons, for a fairly cheap rate. I then upgrade a piece at a time to exotics, which are a lot more costly, but mostly to be a completionist. I've never had a problem with a fresh level 80 in non-exotics doing any of the content in the game. (For two of my 80's I've put the upgrade to exotics on the back burner, after getting a couple exotic weapons and couple of pieces of exotic armor, because I've just had other priorties and the lack of full exotics just is not a big deal).

There are a fair number of things you can buy to save yourself time, but there isn't anything you can buy with gems or gold that is going to give you much of an advantage at all over someone with out cash/gold to burn.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• DamarusofktDamarusofkt Member UncommonPosts: 74
    I agree that the game is not pay to win (in any sense of the words... it is INCREDIBLY easy to attain max exotics).  I'm curious about the thread though, was this in question?

Leader of Knights Templar
    GW2 IGN: Damarus
    knights-templar.com

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    game is not pay to win at all. anyone who says it is has no clue what pay to win means.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• SupportPlayerMMSupportPlayerMM Member Posts: 310

Well unless Pay to Win means having to Pay for the game making any victories one may incur a paid for experience.

Merry Christmas!!!!!!

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    I really dislike GW2.  It has so much wrong with it, in my opinion, that it's not a great purchase.  That said, claiming it's Pay to Win is just idiotic.

You make me like charity

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

A game like Gw2 doesn't have to hand out gear or PvP-items in the item shop to be pay to win, as smashing an opponent in WvW isn't the only way to "win" in GW2. Note that there are other aspects in this game.

The game is a grind with obscene farming restrictions, poor loot allover and the saddest economy possible, funneling the player into the item shop. So, to an extend you already "win" against every other crafter if you jump on the gold <-> gems bandwagon and buy materials instead of trying to farm them in your spare time.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I do not think GW2 is p2w, but there is some truth in Volgore's statement. The way the game intentionally keeps players broke, and that the majority of crafting is worthless, makes the cash shop all too enticing for my taste. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by bcbully

I do not think GW2 is p2w, but there is some truth in Volgore's statement. The way the game intentionally keeps players broke, and that the majority of crafting is worthless, makes the cash shop all too enticing for my taste. 

It seems like there are quite a few people who don't realize it, but GW2 was not designed with the box price as the only (or even primary) source of revenue.  All top tier MMORPGs released by publicly traded companies need some type of recurring revenue to keep investors happy.  It is completely in ANet's best interest to entice more players to purchase gems or to encourage players that are already buying gems to increase the volume of their purchases.  The gem to gold rates will continue to favor gems more and more heavily until adequate real money to gem transactions are occurring with regularity.

It may not be P2W, but the players that don't spend any money beyond the initial box price are definitely worth significantly less to ANet than players that are buying gems with real money.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by killion81
    Originally posted by bcbully

It seems like there are quite a few people who don't realize it, but GW2 was not designed with the box price as the only (or even primary) source of revenue.  All top tier MMORPGs released by publicly traded companies need some type of recurring revenue to keep investors happy.  It is completely in ANet's best interest to entice more players to purchase gems or to encourage players that are already buying gems to increase the volume of their purchases.  The gem to gold rates will continue to favor gems more and more heavily until adequate real money to gem transactions are occurring with regularity.

It may not be P2W, but the players that don't spend any money beyond the initial box price are definitely worth significantly less to ANet than players that are buying gems with real money.

I think the part that you're failing to realize is that people aren't as stupid as you give them credit for. Of course a company that has a cash shop intends for people to buy things from it, but still, thanks for the late breaking news flash.  The fact remains that people don't have to, and if people want to contribute time to acheive the same results, they can.  If they want to spend money, they can.  B2P isn't about not spending any money after you've bought the game, it's about not HAVING to spend money after you've bought the game. It's about having a choice.

And your perception of the people that don't spend money in the cash shop is wrong too.  People actively playing the game and not spending money in the cash shop are earning their keep by making the game more busy and therefore more attractive to the people who spend cash, keeping them playing, and therefore spending.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• RedJorgeRedJorge Member Posts: 106

And right now, with such a high gem value against gold, with 20 euro you can get gems to trade for enough gold to buy at TP a full exotic armor set and an exotic weapon.

No point in doing dungeons, WvWvW or dynamic events. 20 euros are a real TIME saver.

[laughs]
    Sheldon: Okay, that's it. I don't know how, but she is cheating. No-one can be that attractive and this skilled at a video game.
    [walks away]
    [explosion]
    Sheldon: You laugh now. You just wait until you need tech support. (Big Bang Theory)

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

The only arguable p2win in gw2 is the ability to buy exotic gear with purchased gold and using it in wvw or other upgrades there requiring gold.

Unless it's some form of competition it can't be p2w, the entire pve side of gw2 is non competitive and Spvp is completely seperate.

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319
    Ahh not this again..merry christmas. Even to those crazies who think GW2 is P2W.
  • kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455
    It was in first few days: thouse that traded gems for gold had golems in rvr first day :-)
  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Well, if you've been at 80 for a while and just went with the flow, I don't really see why you'd need to spend money to gear your next characters.

Even spending 20 euro to buy a full exotic set is sort of unnecessary imo. When I hit 80, I had full exotic in about 3 days. That was with intensive play of course, but you could still get it all in a week or so if playing more casually.

The way you can get gold rather easily now also means you'll be able to buy several pieces easily. The only big problem might be that some rarer runes / sigils have gone up a lot in price.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

And right now, with such a high gem value against gold, with 20 euro you can get gems to trade for enough gold to buy at TP a full exotic armor set and an exotic weapon.

No point in doing dungeons, WvWvW or dynamic events. 20 euros are a real TIME saver.

and this is a bad thing ? How ?...it's sure not hard to get exotic gear in game or to craft ....I'm having a hard time find a reason why this would bother you , just get the gear anyway you want

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298

You know, you could do those activities out of fun. I know it's somthing alien to people like you, but you can.

• RedJorgeRedJorge Member Posts: 106
    Originally posted by Sciva

You know, you could do those activities out of fun. I know it's somthing alien to people like you, but you can.

We all could walk hours every day for fun instead of driving a car...

[laughs]
    [walks away]
    [explosion]

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    -

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

So there's complaints there's no/too little progression and complaints you can't completely bypass progression without spending irl money, hmm.

Guess you can't please everyone.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777

Like hiking? I hike for fun. 

• ZagatoMKRZagatoMKR Member UncommonPosts: 263

Isn't pay2win term used in PvP oriented games? I mean like, buy equipment with real cash and go steamroll other players. Seeing how GW2's PvP is a separate game alltogether where your "bought" PvE equipment isn't even used, it's unintelligent to say that GW2 is pay2win. You can't buy anything in cash shop to give you an advantage in PvP.

Cheers.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    I don't understand why people would want to Buy all their gear with real money anyways. It basically Halves the longevity of any game.  By cutting out Attaining gear your basically cutting out time spent ingame. Once you have everything it wont be long till you've run everything. I have met alot of players who quit simply because the game has no more to offer.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    Originally posted by Scellow
    [mod edit]

If you bothered to read, there's a couple who have already claimed its P2W in this very thread, and yea, for a long time some have been saying it's P2W up and all over the place.  So I'm not sure who you mean by "we". 

He posted this in the Guild Wars 2 forum.  Which is what it's for.  Don't like it?  Don't reply to GW2 threads telling OP's to STFU and accusing them of working for Anet.   Anet is doing just fine.  They don't need shills to come on forums and false advertise for them.  Game speaks for itself.