Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Wintersday Keeps On Wintering

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Wintersday is in full swing in Guild Wars 2 and players are having a great time participating in all the activities that ArenaNet has provided for players. In today's column, we ruminate a bit more on Wintersday and what we think. Read on and then leave your ideas in the comments.

Each day this past week ArenaNet threw in a new part to the dungeon giving players a chance to experience something different each time.  For completing the dungeon players receives the parts to make a new toy themed mini pet.  Each possible mini pet is a toy form of some of our favorite creatures in Tyria, from stuffed animal griffins to princess dolls.  Of course to get all the parts to make one of these toys, players will need to complete the dungeon a few times, or trade for the parts with their hard earned gold.

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: Wintersday Keeps On Wintering.

I love to build snowmen.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716
    I myself and some of my family have really enjoyed the events in Winters day and both me and my daughter have loved exploring for presents in the world. So far we have collected one of every item you can get from the ugly items merchant and completed all the minis we could get from the Tixx event. She has run all the events many times I my self stuck to the main things to she got me to go try the snowball event. But we both are having fun trying to get a few members to log into the game when they have time throught the holiday so we all can run Tixx's stuff so they dont miss out is not so easy with family stuff happining.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

It's been a pretty interesting take on the holiday, the jumping puzzle is good and although I'm terrible at it the piano game is fun. I've seen similar open world stuff before in RiFT but still it makes people go out and about looking for presents so it’s a nice addition.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I enjoyed GW2 for what it was and got a good month of out it for money, so no bad feelings towards it here, but these continous puff pieces on it from this site while other games go uncovered are getting predictable.

Break it up a bit eh plz mmorpg.com?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I personally prefer the wintersday in the original GW....

This is far from the worst holiday thing I seen in a MMO but its nothing special either (my score is 3/5).

Then again, I am not much for real world holiday events anyways. This is too much "Star wars holiday special" for my taste. If you want holidays in a fictional game they should be fictional as well and taken from the worlds lore, they should not be very similar to our own holidays.

Wintersday is about toys just like Xmas been for the last 100 years but it was a very different thing in the pre industrial world. And yes, even if the Charrs have some coalplants Tyria is still pre industrial.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Of course to get all the parts to make one of these toys, players will need to complete the dungeon a few times, or trade for the parts with their hard earned gold.

That isn't fully true. You can create 2 of the dolls from doing all 5 dungeon instances. Then you can buy more materials for 2 gold to create a 3rd. The last 2 have to be bought for about 4.5€ / 4.5$ each from the cash shop.

For the other dolls you have to gamble by opening cash shop boxes : 1 attempt = 1€ / 1$

Lastly the Tixx instances were so similar that it got boring after day 3. Giving Toxx a shield and some mortar fire didn't change anything about that.

Having said that I have to admit that the 3 original event activities were brilliantly done.

Toypocalypse not so much.

PS: Toxx is a female character noticable by her voice and Tixx's reference: "Put her into sleep mode"

*edit*

NVM I could have sworn I saw a "he" reference for Toxx.

anyway: "For a few of the battles, Toxx just gets a bit crazy and the players are tasked with beating the crap out it"

Either my memory is letting me down or she was the final boss of all 5 instances.

Harbinger of Fools
  • HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I'm not sure if I'm having a lot of fun sometimes, but I am playing it a lot.  The jumping puzzle was more frustration, but the triumphant jubilation after was very satisfying.  I liked the pvp game, and Tix's Infinarium or whatever it's called...I've done quite a few runs through there to make the minis.  I got the Princess doll first, of course (giggle), then the Satyr. 

I have all the frames, I just need components.  Probably do some more runs through later today, but there's not as many people around as I'd like.  I'm on Ferguson's Crossing.  It's pretty active but I would like crazy active.  Keeping my eye out for a busy, busy, busy server.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Terranah

I'm not sure if I'm having a lot of fun sometimes, but I am playing it a lot.  The jumping puzzle was more frustration, but the triumphant jubilation after was very satisfying.  I liked the pvp game, and Tix's Infinarium or whatever it's called...I've done quite a few runs through there to make the minis.  I got the Princess doll first, of course (giggle), then the Satyr. 

I have all the frames, I just need components.  Probably do some more runs through later today, but there's not as many people around as I'd like.  I'm on Ferguson's Crossing.  It's pretty active but I would like crazy active.  Keeping my eye out for a busy, busy, busy server.

Tarnished Coast is a busy server. I was playing in the norn starting area and during each DE there were at least 8-12 people.  I ended up doing the skill point 3 times because people kept starting it while I was standing there, so I helped them out.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• SetsunSetsun Member UncommonPosts: 286
    Had a blast with my friends. Thumbs up Anet.
  • DamarusofktDamarusofkt Member UncommonPosts: 74

I have really enjoyed what they have right now.  Tons of fun, and a surprising amount of content put together for it!

Don't have much feedback (asI am very gratefull for what is there), but would love to see a bit more of the questing aspect from the first one.  Maybe something similair to halloween... but i like the tixx instances as well.

Leader of Knights Templar
    GW2 IGN: Damarus
    knights-templar.com

• arobiarobi Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Having to much fun playing..... Happy holidays back to my new favorite toon asura mesmer. I got 2 classes to 80 ranger and warrior and barely had to do repeat zones. Third time around now I'm doing all the early zones I missed and still have a couple new maps unexplored to experience later. great work anet!
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Vesavius

I enjoyed GW2 for what it was and got a good month of out it for money, so no bad feelings towards it here, but these continous puff pieces on it from this site while other games go uncovered are getting predictable.

which is why one look at the front page news articles shows:

[mod edit]

Yea totally looks like MMORPG.com is in the bag for GW2 and refuses to post articles and news events to other MMO's.  Ohh wait.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

Originally posted by azzamasin

Yea totally looks like MMORPG.com is in the bag for GW2 and refuses to post articles and news events to other MMO's.  Ohh wait.

Guild Wars 2 has had 16 news stories in the past month. Thats an average of 1 news story every other day.

What other MMO has had that kind of news coverage?

The observation by Vesavius stands.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    More like this ANet. This is way better then lostshore.
  • BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

I enjoyed GW2 for what it was and got a good month of out it for money, so no bad feelings towards it here, but these continous puff pieces on it from this site while other games go uncovered are getting predictable. Break it up a bit eh plz mmorpg.com?

Guild Wars 2 has had 16 news stories in the past month. Thats an average of 1 news story every other day.

heard the same complaint with SWTOR

and before that,  Age of Conan.

• SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425

My issue is more that they've had four whole articles on Wintersday. I mean, c'mon, Wintersday is a sidenote. Nothing more. I'm currently playing GW2 casually, but have zero intrest in holiday events. No matter what game it is. All these articles on a holiday event really makes GW2 come across as very stagnant. Nothing other than holiday is happening in the game atm...

Actaully, back in the last 80s or early 90s a xmas tree appeared in Dark Castle to Mac if you played it on Christmas Day. That was kinda cool, and definitely enough holiday content.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

which is why one look at the front page news articles shows:

In all that needless over posting of the front page, you completely missed the point.

It was about the continious chain of puff pieces we see for this game, while a lot of other game's seasonal events haven't even had a nod.

Ahh well... nm.

• RhomsRhoms Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Originally posted by Beanpuie
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

I enjoyed GW2 for what it was and got a good month of out it for money, so no bad feelings towards it here, but these continous puff pieces on it from this site while other games go uncovered are getting predictable. Break it up a bit eh plz mmorpg.com?

heard the same complaint with SWTOR

and before that,  Age of Conan.

Before that, it was Eve Online.  "Oh look mmorpg.com is in cahoots with CCP!11one"

Current game: Pillars of Eternity

Played: UO, AC, Eve, Fallen Earth, Aion, GW, GW2 

Tried: WOW, Rift, SWTOR, ESO 

Future: Camelot Unchained?  Crowfall?  Bless?

When you have played WoW for 4-7 years, you don't need to read what they are doing this year. Same with every MMO that's been out fir years and years. GW2 is getting no more focus then a new triple A MMO should. When your current MMO does something worth taking note of, I am sure mmorpg.com will cover it.
    When you have played WoW for 4-7 years, you don't need to read what they are doing this year. Same with every MMO that's been out fir years and years. GW2 is getting no more focus then a new triple A MMO should. When your current MMO does something worth taking note of, I am sure mmorpg.com will cover it.
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Yeah why does a site about MMORPGs have so many articles about the best MMORPG going right now...whats wrong with them!

Biggest MMORPGs released in the last 18 months? SWTOR, TSW, GW2 and a WoW expac. SWTOR and TSW were so bad they went F2P, the WoW expac brought in...panda's and basically threw everything it used to be out the window, GW2 however is going strong.

I think its simple, the best games get more articles because there is more to talk about, shouldnt be hard to figure out seeing as how GW2 is releasing big updates every single month.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    I'm not feeling it with GW2. I think it has to do with player culling in cities. It destroys immersion if I have trouble finding my guildies in the city because the game has this weird system of loading players around you. Maybe it is just me, but it is my impression that the area around you that loads players has become smaller. For a holiday event it sucks to see only a few players at a time.
  • KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Grrrr I am yet to conquer the jumping puzzle.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Perhaps if other companies were as diligent at updating their games as GW2 is, then they would report on them more.

GW2 is new, has had significant updates every month since launch and is undoubtably the second most polular MMO around at the moment, which accounts for the regular coverage. 

Since launch its coverage has been on par with the WoW, TSW and Rift coverage. Some other less popular games obviously get less coverage, especially when they dont really have anything interesting to write about.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Exactly, I dont need to know what WoW, EQ2, EQ, LOTRO or Rift are doing for Christmas, because its the same as last year, and the year before.

TSW isnt doing anything for Christmas, but they got decent coverage on their End of Days event and B2P conversion. I admit I didnt hear anything about TERA and Xmas, but I wasnt really looking or caring what they were doing.