Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play on a new WoW server?

RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

I quit playing WoW years ago before Cataclym came out., but I got to thinking recently, especially with a thread I posted on this morning..  Would you play on a new type of WoW server?

This server would have the following changes:

• Limited Chat channels.. (no global chat)
  • All PvP battlegrounds are disabled.. Any PvP must be open world concentual..
  • All zones have flex leveling..  This means that higher level toons will automatically be reduced to the appropriate level of they area they are in, just like GW2..   This keeps fighting fun (no more one shotting).. and guildies, friends and newbies can group up anytime.. I hate having zones become obsolete because you outleveled them..
  • Slow down leveling process.. Getting to max level will take longer then vanilla WoW..
  • NO MORE INSTANCES.. YES, Deadmines will be recoded to an open world zone in.. Elite Mob's will respaw, and bosses will be increased in power and put on a random timer.. So if you want to kill the bosses, you better learn how to pug with 15+ people in the area..
  • YES, this applies to raid zones too.. Molten Core will also be an open world zone in..  Mob's will be super elite, where 10+ are suggested and bosses will take 40+ to kill..  Raids were meant to be a party where everyone is invited..
  • Optional - Give players the chance to group up with enemy faction.. Human's and Ogres can group together to defeat a common foe.. and go back to hating each other the next morning..
Naturally you would have to tweak some things here and there.. But would such ideas perk your interest again?  I know I would consider going back and playing a new ruleset of WoW..

PS.. I wanted to edit part of this.. For the benefit of the zones and gaming.. ALL PvP is disabled while adventuring in the new open dungeon and raid zones..  I really don't want a mess of TEF's being exploited while inside these zones..  PvP needs to remain in the original open world zones ONLY..

Thanks..

Comments

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

Considering their fan base couldn't get them to get rid of the monstrosity that is the CRZ, I don't think they will incorporate any of these. So your only choice is going to be to find some illegal private server floating about somewhere in the shady outskirts of the interent.

Or... finding a new MMO game that has all of these things you are wanting. Because what you are proposing is no longer WoW.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

The only way I would EVER go back to WoW is if it was an official vanilla server with no content past MC/BWL/ZG.

With the real pvp grind to grand marshal still intact.

Otherwise I just keep roaming pixelated worlds squeezing the fun out of them.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Oh.. I know that Tabby..  Blizzard only listens to players when there is money to be made or lost.. All I'm asking here is whould you be interested in playing by such rulesets.. 
  • LissylLissyl Member UncommonPosts: 271

Current WoW player here.  In order of bullets...

1. What's the point?  'Global' is only in cities to begin with.

2. Okay, consensual is good.

3. Not on your life.  However, I suggest a simple compromise -- if you choose not to delevel, you cannot initiate pvp.  That way farming a stack of copper for a guildie isn't a six hour task because of the mean Defias Cutpurses with a ridiculous respawn rate.

4. Yay!  Slower levelling.

5. No more instances?  Why in God's name would you want to do that to dungeons?  The ONLY reason for it is for some world pvp, which is -supposed- to be consensual, remember?

6. While I think flex-levelled raids are good, again that whole pvp junk rears its disgustingly ugly head again.  Maybe a choice of open-world, but not removing them entirely.

7. Yah, I'd love to group with the other faction.  Makes quests easier.  No communication unless you're in a group, though -- the world doesn't need more trash talking pvp jerks (not to say that all pvp players are these jerks, just that there would be a dramatic increase in them because whole other faction).

IOW...most of your ideas are sound to me so long as you are enforcing the consensual part of pvp.  Making everything 'open world' works directly against that (witness a Sha or Galleon kill even on a PVE server to see how people try to force 'consensual' pvp.  I want it strengthened, not lessened, but at the same time don't want to deny pvp players their preferred playstyle).

Originally posted by HeroEvermore

The only way I would EVER go back to WoW is if it was an official vanilla server with no content past MC/BWL/ZG.

Yeah.. I miss those days of open world PvP and titles..  That would be intact with my idea..  I want fights are Barrens or Tauren Mill.. etc etc..  Players should earn rewards for killing the enemy even if they are NPC's.. Plus I always thought it was fun killing the griffon masters at various camps.. LOL

Originally posted by Lissyl

Current WoW player here.  In order of bullets...

1. What's the point?  'Global' is only in cities to begin with. I know.. I just want to make sure it stays that way.. LOL

2. Okay, consensual is good.

3. Not on your life.  However, I suggest a simple compromise -- if you choose not to delevel, you cannot initiate pvp.  That way farming a stack of copper for a guildie isn't a six hour task because of the mean Defias Cutpurses with a ridiculous respawn rate. Sorry, I have to stay with the manditory flex leveling.. No power leveling or one shotting PvP or PvE fights.. I like the way GW2 has done it..

4. Yay!  Slower levelling.

5. No more instances?  Why in God's name would you want to do that to dungeons?  The ONLY reason for it is for some world pvp, which is -supposed- to be consensual, remember?  I think you missed my point.. The reason why there would be no dungeon instancing is that I do not want a lobby based game, ever again..  Trash mobs in these duneons will remain elites and will respawn.. This is group content, but must be shared.. As for the bosses, they will be on random timers and HARDER then ever to kill.. Bring more then 5 friends..  This has nothing to do with PvP.. Now if the horde and alliance are both going after the same target, EVEN consentual PvP is disabled in these zones.. The group that does the most damage loots it.. 

6. While I think flex-levelled raids are good, again that whole pvp junk rears its disgustingly ugly head again.  Maybe a choice of open-world, but not removing them entirely. Again I would remove PvP from dungeon / raid zones.. These new open world zones are designed for one thing and one thing only, and PvP isn't it :)

7. Yah, I'd love to group with the other faction.  Makes quests easier.  No communication unless you're in a group, though -- the world doesn't need more trash talking pvp jerks (not to say that all pvp players are these jerks, just that there would be a dramatic increase in them because whole other faction).

IOW...most of your ideas are sound to me so long as you are enforcing the consensual part of pvp.  Making everything 'open world' works directly against that (witness a Sha or Galleon kill even on a PVE server to see how people try to force 'consensual' pvp.  I want it strengthened, not lessened, but at the same time don't want to deny pvp players their preferred playstyle).

Yeah.. I should of explained my changes in zones like Deadmines better.. They are like open world zones meaning that more then 5 people can enter them at one time.. There is only ONE Deadmines zone, and it must be shared.. However, as you brought up and I agree.. For the benefit of play and the zone.. PvP must be disabled while inside these new areas..

• LissylLissyl Member UncommonPosts: 271

Ahhh, okay.  So harder dungeons?  Sure, I'm good with that.  The only challenging group non-raid now is scenarios with the rest of your group doing sub-20k and you're tanking as a non-frost mage lol.  I don't mind bringing more people, respawning elites, and all that.  And disabled pvp would definitely win me over.  Sure, count me in.  Still think you should reconsider forced flex, because I'm -only- talking about resource mats and not powerlevelling someone else/pvp but if you upped the gold drop rate enough you could sustain it at the AH I suppose.  Gold drops are ridiculously inefficient as it is in MoP.

I'd at least give it a try and see what I thought of it.  I've been playing long enough to remember dungeons being a lot more difficult and cleared enough non-10-man content at-level before LFR was a twinkle in the eye, and I'm pretty adaptable.  I just can't stomach the trash talk of pvp or the over-levelled gankfests that people find 'so fun'.

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Originally posted by Rydeson
    Oh.. I know that Tabby..  Blizzard only listens to players when there is money to be made or lost.. All I'm asking here is whould you be interested in playing by such rulesets.. 

Purely my opinion:

I like the idea of the downscaling of levels to fit zones. So much of WoW is zones that become obsolete once you outlevel them.

I despise world pvp. I don't think I have to tell you what my thoughts are on that.

I  am not sure how temperary truces between faction races could work out, or even if it could work out. Or even could be explained with lore.

I don't think I'd want to get rid of all the instanced dungeons and raids. You'd end up with people camping bosses and guilds locking out zones from other players. I foresee that as being a big headache... especially if you add in world pvp.

Originally posted by MyTabbycat

Purely my opinion:

I like the idea of the downscaling of levels to fit zones. So much of WoW is zones that become obsolete once you outlevel them.

I despise world pvp. I don't think I have to tell you what my thoughts are on that. That's ok with me.. Once you disable PvP, you'll not ever get flagged, nor can you aid in anyone that is flagged.. Completely voluntary to do PvP..

I  am not sure how temperary truces between faction races could work out, or even if it could work out. Or even could be explained with lore.  As the saying goes, the enemy of my enemy is my friend.. I think it's possible for enemies to truce themselves for a common cause..

I don't think I'd want to get rid of all the instanced dungeons and raids. You'd end up with people camping bosses and guilds locking out zones from other players. I foresee that as being a big headache... especially if you add in world pvp.

They can try to camp bosses, but when bosses are on a random LONG timer, I don't see that happening.. When I mean random timer, once a boss is killed, it will respawn somewhere between 12 to 36 hours later for example.. I doubt many will camp them.. The goal im getting here is that boss pops are rare, and don't become common targets on a regular basis..   PvP is disabled inside the new dungeon/raid zones..  As for the guild locking anyone out? It might happen, but if the community is big enough and in the areas.. A pug of 20 is going to take down that boss quicker and faster and the guild would of wasted their time..

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    In EQOA we trained eachother for prime grind spots. Oh the fun!!!!!! Bring it on! Muahahahhaha!!!!!

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

If there is level scaling then I would be more interested if their was full world PvP (non concentual) everwhere. . there is already no looting others and there is nothing like trying to hold some outpost of the other faction or trying to invade a capital (although the level scaling would kill this one possibly)

I would also want vanilla wow as well.  That might do it for me.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868

I quit playing WoW years ago before Cataclym came out., but I got to thinking recently, especially with a thread I posted on this morning..  Would you play on a new type of WoW server?

• All zones have flex leveling..  This means that higher level toons will automatically be reduced to the appropriate level of they area they are in, just like GW2..   This keeps fighting fun (no more one shotting).. and guildies, friends and newbies can group up anytime.. I hate having zones become obsolete because you outleveled them..
    • Slow down leveling process.. Getting to max level will take longer then vanilla WoW..
    • NO MORE INSTANCES.. YES, Deadmines will be recoded to an open world zone in.. Elite Mob's will respaw, and bosses will be increased in power and put on a random timer.. So if you want to kill the bosses, you better learn how to pug with 15+ people in the area..
    • YES, this applies to raid zones too.. Molten Core will also be an open world zone in..  Mob's will be super elite, where 10+ are suggested and bosses will take 40+ to kill..  Raids were meant to be a party where everyone is invited..
    • Optional - Give players the chance to group up with enemy faction.. Human's and Ogres can group together to defeat a common foe.. and go back to hating each other the next morning..
    Naturally you would have to tweak some things here and there.. But would such ideas perk your interest again?  I know I would consider going back and playing a new ruleset of WoW..

PS.. I wanted to edit part of this.. For the benefit of the zones and gaming.. ALL PvP is disabled while adventuring in the new open dungeon and raid zones..  I really don't want a mess of TEF's being exploited while inside these zones..  PvP needs to remain in the original open world zones ONLY..

Thanks..

No. Even with all of this, the game is still dated looking, has dated combat mechanics, and is focused primarily on loot progression as a means to keep people playing. The game has poor balance (always has, always will, thanks to the retarded amount of CC) and leveling through quests is dated as hell. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    You are proposing to create an entirely new game basically, and just retain the WOW world and lore. It is far more than just a few tweaks. Would I play it, maybe, but will it ever happen, not a chance.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Or... finding a new MMO game that has all of these things you are wanting. Because what you are proposing is no longer WoW.
    Exactly. What the OP described is not WoW in any shape or form.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

No one but me would ever play this.

I'd play again if:

The feel of playing my hunter was like TBC again.  I liked bringing a sweet AP buff based on how I set up my guy to get the most agility possible. I'd set shot casting times back to tbc speeds.I loved the 3:2 shot rotation, and would give up never clipping autoshots for a return to a rythmic rotation where I can actually watch what is going on instead of eyeballing cooldowns all the time. I'd return ammo, but only as a relic slot dealie you need one of. It was nice to finally earn them and they're a great slider for tweaking hunter damage without actually changing how the class plays,  but fuck filling bags with ammo. 

Arena exists as  a mini-game, with any suggestions on forums of any changes whatsoever to any class or spec because of arena being met with an instant and irrevocable perma-ban as well as a visit to your house by two large guys named Vinnie and "The Kneecapper." Also you get to play your character in pvp. I mean your actual character, the one that can use drums of panic and free action pots and actually has  a spell called lay on hands and the engineering profession exists, not some cardboard cutout of a generic "warrior" or "paladin."  Deal with team composition imbalances, not by changing classes but by adding debuffs that counter what your comp excells at. Dual healers in 2s? First, fuck you, secondly you get a x% healing reduction. Rogue/Mage? x% reduction to cc length.

Old AV. from what I hear even the TBC Alterac I knew was nothing compared to the old version. The stupid part now is all of the changes made from TBC onward were done because of the bg specific marks needed for gear, which no longer exist and those changes should be de-fucking-leted.

PVE ENCOUNTERS THAT REQUIRE CC. SRLSY. AND LET ME FREEZE TRAP TWO MOBS THROUGHOUT THE LENGTH OF A FIGHT AGAIN IF I'M SV. SCREW TRAP LAUNCHER, MAKE ME GET AGGRO ON EM AND POSITION TO KEEP THEM BOTH FROZEN.  HEROIC Mr T? PISS OFF ENH SHAMAN, YOU GOT NO CC AND THOSE AXES ARE HUNTER LOOT ANYWAYS.  TBC heroics were awesome. They were challenging and could be unforgiving at the start, but you could get by with competent cc and a group that worked well together. TBC heroics taught you how to cc. They required it. Tanks had to learn how to pick up the group after the mage pulled with poly. Hunters had to learn how to pull their blue square off of the tank and lead it into the trap, and then place new traps knowing the mob would beeline for heals when it got free. Rogues had the option of either learning to attack skull or learning where their evade button was. You learned your class from these things because they were challenging. Wrath heroics taught wrath babies to gather up as many groups as your tank and heals were geared for and AOE everything down. Cata roics were actually fun at the start and required cc till you outgeared them, but wrath prepubescents and cata babies sunk that difficulty quickly in a sea of tears. 

All the content, with a level cap of it doesn't matter. let's make it 70. Raise the vanilla numbers and lower everything after tbc as needed. You like gear grinds? Start at dungeon set one and go alllllll the way up to whatever tier they have now, without ever dinging once in between. Don't throw away perfectly good  content because you can't think of a better way to show your customers progression than raising the level number on your character sheet. It's just numbers. A level 10 that gets 1 ability point and 10 Hp per level is no different than a level 20 that gets 5 Hp per level and an ability point ever other level. It's just fucking numbers. You wouldn't have to do the whole grind, you could get carried over tiers by geared friends same as you can now.

This is too rambly.

• kertinkertin Member UncommonPosts: 259

I agree BUT I absolutely dont agree with your "flex leveling" - I am sorry but I think this is one of the most stupid features which was ever implemented (yeah one more reason I hate GW2)...next thing is I disagree with your opinion about instances and raids...rest of you ideas seems fine. (Btw I dont think vanilla leveling to 60 was that quick but if it would be even slower so never mind).

Actually I play on vanilla realm with 1x rates with great overall quality because I love vanilla the most and there are no official servers:(

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Pretty simple answers to all of these questions... They won't do any of this ever, and very VERY few people would want it.

- They won't remove group finder for the same reasons EVERY SINGLE GAME adds it after release.  Maybe 5-10% of the player base dislikes group finder tools.  MASSIVE majority like and use them daily.

- World PvP will never be popular because it cannot be controlled properly.  Too many d-bags running around ganking people just to be a-holes.  As I've said 100's of times before...  Open world PvP will only work when it has consequences.  Every open world FFA pvp game has failed horribly because most people don't want to deal with it.

- FFA open world everything?  All this does is reward players who sit online all day every day with no job/life.  All the players who can only invest a few hours a night are screwed as they're unable to camp spawns.  The whole purpose of instanced content is to give players (usually groups) a way to enjoy the game whenever they want.

- Limited chat?  So how do you find groups?  Sitting semi-afk in the zone you want to find a group in spamming local channels?  This was an epic failure of SWTOR and many other games of late.  Finding a group takes time and you need to be able to play the game while you wait.  Spam and other garbage that fills these channels is easily fixed.  Moderation.  If someone uses a channel for anything other than it's purpose they get a warning.  2nd time they get suspended from using the channel for a period of time.  3rd time they lose the ability to use that channel forever.  Problem solved.  People won't abuse channels if they'll lose the ability to use them completely.

- Group with enemy faction?  I've already done this as the game is currently and it was perfect.  You can't talk to them...  You CAN accidently hurt them.  The best you can do is use emotes.  I've managed to emote /wave /point /thank and other things to work with enemy faction members to kill quest targets and such.   Sometimes it fails and one of you kills the other... But such is life in a war.

The only item in the list that will probably get added is the adjusted leveling feature.  I believe they've already talked about this and are just working on the mechanics involved in adding it to the game code.

Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Exactly. What the OP described is not WoW in any shape or form.

well duh.. that was the intent of this post.. if I wanted to play WoW, I would..  I don't even want to play vanilla wow.. Only thing I was bringing up was a way that Blizzard could offer something new to the game without doing another expansion and or a new game altogether..  People are leaving WoW for a reason, (as I did) so why not offer a different server to experiment with.. It would be just like a PTR..  seperate code, seperate rules and optional to the customers to play on..   :)

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

I don't really like any of your suggestions to be honest. With flex leveling, I think it should be optional like it is in EQ2. Being forced to delevel is not that fun.

About the only change I really want to see in WoW these days is a change to CRZ. I don't want it removed completely, I want to see it tweeked so that it doesn't become more of an annoyance than anything else.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

Originally posted by kertin

I agree BUT I absolutely dont agree with your "flex leveling" - I am sorry but I think this is one of the most stupid features which was ever implemented (yeah one more reason I hate GW2)...next thing is I disagree with your opinion about instances and raids...rest of you ideas seems fine. (Btw I dont think vanilla leveling to 60 was that quick but if it would be even slower so never mind).

Actually I play on vanilla realm with 1x rates with great overall quality because I love vanilla the most and there are no official servers:(

I'm curious why you hate flex leveling like in GW2..  What penalty is there about a 50th level toon being demoted temporary to 10th level while in a lower level zone?  The ONLY thing I see is that you cant' go around the world as a GOD in older zones.. NO MORE one shotting mobs or low level toons in PvP.... If there is another reason I fail to see it..   What is so wrong with not wanting to play a lobby based game?  Just curious..

• AnslemAnslem Member CommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by HeroEvermore

That PvP grind was brutal but a lot of fun.

I never attained HWL just Champion (I think the Alliance equiv. was Knight-Captain/Champion?) but even that took awhile.  

I have been playing a bit and it's listed as a feat of strength, still have no idea what that is for though.  

I'd play again if they removed the dungeon finder.  Remember having to go to a capital city to get a Scarlet Strat group?  So fun. 

Now the finder is cool - get a group quicklike but I was in Mana Tombs a month ago and no one said a word. 1/2 the MMO fun for me is BSing in group/vent/whatever. 

Played: Ultima Online - DaoC - WoW -

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

Thanks..

so, you are saying you won't play wow again, gotcha :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    Sure not! I hope this will never happen. You have games like gw2 if you want something like that. Why for heaven to change concept of best game ever made, we need only updates as usual. You can transform wow only from our cold dead hands!
  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Considering their fan base couldn't get them to get rid of the monstrosity that is the CRZ, I don't think they will incorporate any of these. So your only choice is going to be to find some illegal private server floating about somewhere in the shady outskirts of the interent.

Whats wrong with CRZ?  World PVP is back.  

Oh, you don't like 90's ganking level 32's?   THATS WORLD PVP!

Sorry guys, it sounds like a lot of you need your own game to play that has special world PVP that is magically fair and balanced (you know entirely against the nature of world PVP)

• zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

Whats wrong with CRZ?  World PVP is back.  

Oh, you don't like 90's ganking level 32's?   THATS WORLD PVP!

Sorry guys, it sounds like a lot of you need your own game to play that has special world PVP that is magically fair and balanced (you know entirely against the nature of world PVP)

You got the point! +1. I think they don't know what they are talking about. Ganking lev 32 provoke butterfly effect and most of the time low levels get help and most of the time low levels have level 90 characters.