Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Still MMORPG.COM's most hyped game!

-Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

Even after the "ok lets beta instead of launch" disaster (and, err, other more local problems) the game is the number 1 hyped game.

I just can't wait until the re-launch!  Also, if they survive on Steam longer than WarZ did it will show AV knows what they are doing. 

I still don't understand why someone would want a refund for a BETA product.  It is like buying raw uncooked meat at the market and asking for a refund because it is not cooked yet.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

Comments

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    "Hype" is more of an indication of what people are looking forward to at any given moment.  Living up to the hype is a very different thing.  Look at GW2 as an example.  DF1 had a very small, niche, but loyal playerbase.  I expect DF2 will end up the same.  That's not really a good thing, but everything we've seen so far supports it.

You make me like charity

• gchris7gchris7 Member Posts: 73

Originally posted by asmkm22 "Hype" is more of an indication of what people are looking forward to at any given moment.  Living up to the hype is a very different thing.  Look at GW2 as an example.  DF1 had a very small, niche, but loyal playerbase.  I expect DF2 will end up the same.  That's not really a good thing, but everything we've seen so far supports it.

They have removed/fixed the most important things that made people quit DF1 (like having no skill cap, the rough first impressions, etc), so i really dont see how DF UW will end up like the old one. 

Obviously, it will never be the most popular mmorpg due to its hardcore-niche nature. But i believe this time, the game will be able to keep a large and healthy playerbase. 

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Zero faith in this studio that brings lies and more lies to its playerbase.
    Most incompetend studio award goes to DF.

Hype means nothing, look at the awards pirate101 beating Gw2, not that GW2 was the best mmo ever created, but come on pirate101 xD ?

One thing i learned is that mmo site's and gameing studio's need to be taken with a mountain of salt.

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298
    Originally posted by gchris7

They have removed/fixed the most important things that made people quit DF1 (like having no skill cap, the rough first impressions, etc), so i really dont see how DF UW will end up like the old one. 

QFT 

This game will not be DF 1.0.  DF 1.0 did not have roles that determine what you can do and wear (as stated by AV several times).  

There will be no god complex in DFUW which was something stated on Sinister's forums years ago;  DF1.0 was the only game you could become GOD if you macroed hard enough, ohh and got all your skills to 100.  That is no longer true as you can not be a jack of all trades GOD (unless you have crazy FPS skills).  Someone in full plate will not be able to cast a mages spell, etc.

If the blog was up I could post everything AV said.  It should be on their forums if you look too.  They have said time and time again; this is a new game.  Darkfall Unholy Wars is NOT DARKFALL 1.0.  

Now its your choice to buy raw meat right now or wait until the Steam launch to buy the fully cooked steak.  Don't compare apples to oranges.  However this farmer knows how to grow his trees better.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• Df UW is indeed not DF 1.0 BUT some thing that perfectly work in DF 1.0 shouldn't have changed ot touched in DF 2.0.

For example race models, now all race share the same human body, all seems a human clone, impossible to recognize a race when is full geared, and at the same time impossible to recognize your own alliance or friends.
    Also the GUI is another terrible change, having 8 skills binded in a radial circle and 8 in antoher is unfriedly and stupid, like unfriedly and stupid is the new loot/bank windows, seems a mobile OS interface, invasive, instead of a sandbox mmorpg. The old one, drag and drop was not perfect but worked very well.

Very disappointed, on the other hand some changes like the new combat system and roles is welcome (not entirely since crafting skills have no limits, bad for the economy).

Hope they listen to feedbacks and revert/fix some bad choices for a better gaming experience and immersion.

• psykobillypsykobilly Member Posts: 338
    Originally posted by kdchan

Df UW is indeed not DF 1.0 BUT some thing that perfectly work in DF 1.0 shouldn't have changed ot touched in DF 2.0.

For example race models, now all race share the same human body, all seems a human clone, impossible to recognize a race when is full geared, and at the same time impossible to recognize your own alliance or friends.
    Also the GUI is another terrible change, having 8 skills binded in a radial circle and 8 in antoher is unfriedly and stupid, like unfriedly and stupid is the new loot/bank windows, seems a mobile OS interface, invasive, instead of a sandbox mmorpg. The old one, drag and drop was not perfect but worked very well.

Race models did not even work close to perfectly in df 1.0.  When you created a character you had no idea you would be gimped based on hitbox size or melee reach.  Having equity of reach nd hitbox size is a good thing becuse no one has an advantage and no one gets screwed.  You obviously didn't understand the issues.

The radial wheels don't matter they are just a pretty place to drag your skills.  Everything in the radial wheels can be bound, and no one who knows what they are doing will be using them.  Looting is still drag and drop.  You seem to not understand the game.

Originally posted by kdchan

Df UW is indeed not DF 1.0 BUT some thing that perfectly work in DF 1.0 shouldn't have changed ot touched in DF 2.0.

Very disappointed, on the other hand some changes like the new combat system and roles is welcome (not entirely since crafting skills have no limits, bad for the economy).

Hope they listen to feedbacks and revert/fix some bad choices for a better gaming experience and immersion.

GUI.  Hitboxes. Grind.  GODMODE.  All these things drove people away from Darkfall.  So they changed the UI, Hitboxes, Grind, and added roles so no one person can macro to GOD status (took some FPS skills too).

Solid reasons people are hyping the game still.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    compared to what? What games are in beta that its whopping thats worth talking about? TESO? Being the best of the blah isnt something to brag about.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Originally posted by jtcgs
    compared to what? What games are in beta that its whopping thats worth talking about? TESO? Being the best of the blah isnt something to brag about.

I am the best at Chess.  So because of that I shouldn't brag?  Darkfall is the last real MMORPG being made.  Everything else is an EQ clone and not real MMO's.

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

See...unlike most of the game who, for reasons unknown, are at the top of the hype list, including games that have long faded fromt he lime light (though classics) lack any form of hype whatsoever.

This game actually has some hype behind it, given its nature of being the only game of its type, its complete remake from 1.0, and the fact that launch is close, granted in typical Aventurine fashion with delays, radio silence, and missed deadlines.

This game has a lot of hype right now.  Im sure next missed deadline the DF community will flock here and downvote it into the neagatives again, only to revote once they realize how dumb the move is...again...lol

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Hype means nothing, look at the awards pirate101 beating Gw2, not that GW2 was the best mmo ever created, but come on pirate101 xD ?

One thing i learned is that mmo site's and gameing studio's need to be taken with a mountain of salt.

Pirates beating GW2 has nothing to do with good gameplay and everything to do with a concerted effort by the developers to get phantom players to vote over the most obvious choice:  GW2.  Enjoy your cheating Pirates but until you can actually get a hype meter off the ground I'll never forgive the devious ploys your company used to rig the results.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by -Zeno-

I am the best at Chess.  So because of that I shouldn't brag?  Darkfall is the last real MMORPG being made.  Everything else is an EQ clone and not real MMO's.

Gamers like you make me laugh at loud.  last "real" MMO......hahahah Hyperbole at its finest.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Pirates beating GW2 has nothing to do with good gameplay and everything to do with a concerted effort by the developers to get phantom players to vote over the most obvious choice:  GW2.  Enjoy your cheating Pirates but until you can actually get a hype meter off the ground I'll never forgive the devious ploys your company used to rig the results.

you seem upset. 

who cares?  it's a goty poll on a tiny corner of the internet.

• makiimakii Member Posts: 280
    I hope it gets even more hype so that the dissapointment is even bigger. GW2 greets you all.
  • SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

Hype means very little, as soon as people get their hands on the game they'll be just as dissapointed as i was.

It really feels, looks, and plays like a game made in 2000.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

Care to elaborate?

I agree that a lot of today's MMO market is crap, but that doesn't mean DF is the saviour of the genre or anything. The first game was great fun in many ways, but in reality it was more of an MMOFPS (with some grind on the side) than an MMORPG.

It was all about PvP and the PvP was pretty shallow - not when it came to the actual combat systems and the player skill involved ofc, but in the sense of having no purpose outside of itself. Much like MO, DF was very metagame-heavy: guilds smacktalking and trolling each other so that they would have something to fight about in game, since the game itself didn't offer them anything meaningful to fight about and the whole territory control thing was very static and non-dynamic.

There was no real economy, crafting was just a mat grind, there was no socializing, no player interactions beyond killing and looting each other, no well-designed systems that prevented mindless ganking and griefing, nothing that promoted non-PvP activities. Sure, you were free to do whatever you wanted but there was basically only one thing to do.

From what I've heard and seen, DFUW does not improve on these aspects at all. It's still essentially still a deathmatch arena in a persistant world. Nothing wrong with that though, and I'm sure it will be great fun in its own right. But to claim that it's the "last real MMORPG" is ridiculous since it doesn't have any real RPG features, not to mention any real sandbox RPG features.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Even after the "ok lets beta instead of launch" disaster (and, err, other more local problems) the game is the number 1 hyped game.

I just can't wait until the re-launch!  Also, if they survive on Steam longer than WarZ did it will show AV knows what they are doing. 

I still don't understand why someone would want a refund for a BETA product.  It is like buying raw uncooked meat at the market and asking for a refund because it is not cooked yet.

Firstly, I don't understand this thread, why get hyped over hype? I remember when the original Darkfall was hyped out the wazoo. Didn't last much after release...

Secondly, when was the last time a beta test was an actual test? Companies call them beta "events" now it seems. And the masses, whose only real concern when it comes to beta testing is using it as a free trial, jump right up, cash in hand.

I miss the times when companies actually screened players for inclusion in beta. And I miss the time when players that actually got into a beta actually TESTED, not free trialed then cry about unfinished products...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

Originally posted by Slampig

Firstly, I don't understand this thread, why get hyped over hype? I remember when the original Darkfall was hyped out the wazoo. Didn't last much after release...

Secondly, when was the last time a beta test was an actual test? Companies call them beta "events" now it seems. And the masses, whose only real concern when it comes to beta testing is using it as a free trial, jump right up, cash in hand.

I miss the times when companies actually screened players for inclusion in beta. And I miss the time when players that actually got into a beta actually TESTED, not free trialed then cry about unfinished products...

AV did that at first.  Thought they were ready to release, then found somethings that changed their minds.  Instead of saying "back to testing, you don't even get to try is" they offered a pre-order beta test.  Many other MMO's did this and as beta's the players of thoes games helped make the game even better before the release happened (GW2 was a great example of this).  GW2 had wipes.  They had 2 hour betas.  They had only weekend beta events.  People knew it what they were buying for GW2 and should know what they are buying for Darkfall (A BETA TEST, not a trial, as said on their website).

Things will get worked out.  Darkfall will release again and may be more popular this time around because of the changes. There is still no other product that matches Darkfall on the market except maybe UO 10 years ago.  Darkfall is the game everyone needs.

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

Doesn't look like it's the most hyped anymore......

• sadboysadboy Member Posts: 66
    The developers lied start to finish to its customers from alpha to death in Darkfall so as a new creation Darkfall Unholy Wars why should it be any different
  • fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286

When a mediocre niche game is ranked as one of the most highly anticipated (hyped) upcoming MMO's, you know the genre is in for a tough year.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

It's still number 2 - at least right at this moment. But here is the list:

ArchAge

Darkfall

Star Citizen

Path of Exile

The Repopulation

Neverwinter

Earthrise

It's a shitty competition for the most popular game at the moment. My personal most hopeful game is The Repopulation out of that group. But zero of those games are AAA (at least in my opinion when it comes to funding and likely finished product). 

When Screech from Saved by the Bell competes against Mario Lopez for greatest actor ever, you are left with very little to hope for.

• UzikUzik Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Freaking AV

(Uzik ibnYaraq in game. Always willing to help.)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/UzikAlJhamin

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by colddog04

ArchAge

Darkfall

Star Citizen

Path of Exile

The Repopulation

Neverwinter

Earthrise

It's a shitty competition for the most popular game at the moment. My personal most hopeful game is The Repopulation out of that group. But zero of those games are AAA (at least in my opinion when it comes to funding and likely finished product). 

When Screech from Saved by the Bell competes against Mario Lopez for greatest actor ever, you are left with very little to hope for.

Well to be fair Arche Age is a AAA production in terms of team size and financial expenditure, it's just from an Eastern company so it gets passed over.

Technically Neverwinter does too - it's just a lot of people have beef with Cryptic and Perfect World.

Star Citizen certainly has enough money but the team size is an unknown at this point - but with that kind of funding it might break AAA status.

• PaladrinkPaladrink Member UncommonPosts: 62
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by colddog04

ArchAge

Darkfall

Star Citizen

Path of Exile

The Repopulation

Neverwinter

Earthrise

Well to be fair Arche Age is a AAA production in terms of team size and financial expenditure, it's just from an Eastern company so it gets passed over.

Technically Neverwinter does too - it's just a lot of people have beef with Cryptic and Perfect World.

Star Citizen certainly has enough money but the team size is an unknown at this point - but with that kind of funding it might break AAA status.

To be honest i still dont see how in the world DarkFAIL is even hyped, seriously. The company is so awful that they should have been demanded for fraud.

I see tho, that Cryptic is indeed a heavy fail develpoer as well but the concept of D&D is hard to pass by, even if you see DDO which for some hardcore D&D fans is awful, is one of the most profitable games out there until today.

Although what really pist me off is the people who had paid for this beta, its basically giving a bad company the reazon for being bad, and letting all the MMO developers of the world know that they can provide mediocre games and still sell their products as a "success".

What we do in life, echoes in eternity.