Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 - 2nd place for GOTY 2012 MMORPG.com Player's Choice

RedJorgeRedJorge Member Posts: 106

Congrats for the 2nd place for GOTY 2012 MMORPG.com Player's Choice.

And 1st place for Most Innovative.

Best regards,

RJ

Leonard: Penny, you are on fire.
Penny: Yes, so is Sheldon.
[laughs]
Sheldon: Okay, that's it. I don't know how, but she is cheating. No-one can be that attractive and this skilled at a video game.
[walks away]
Penny: Wait, wait. Sheldon. Come back, you forgot something.
Sheldon: What?
Penny: This plasma grenade.
[explosion]
Penny: [laughs] Look! It's raining you.
Sheldon: You laugh now. You just wait until you need tech support. (Big Bang Theory)

Comments

• theoneandonlytheoneandonly Member Posts: 102
    I was a bit surprised with the results. But anyway looks like GW2 got some future ahead afterall ))))
  • RedJorgeRedJorge Member Posts: 106
    Originally posted by theoneandonly
    I was a bit surprised with the results. But anyway looks like GW2 got some future ahead afterall ))))

Yes, Pirate 101 is an hard title to beat anyway...a family friendly game with a deep and engaging strategy.

[laughs]
    Sheldon: Okay, that's it. I don't know how, but she is cheating. No-one can be that attractive and this skilled at a video game.
    [walks away]
    [explosion]
    Sheldon: You laugh now. You just wait until you need tech support. (Big Bang Theory)

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    That can fo with our other goty, best mmo, best pc, best rpg awards. :)
  • killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by KingJiggly

Oh!  Do you work for ANet?  I didn't know that.

Anyway, another award for GW2.  Yay I guess.

• SupportPlayerMMSupportPlayerMM Member Posts: 310
    Originally posted by killion81

U mad? Game provided a solid product and made Buy 2 Play the next big thing. It basically evolved the industries pay scale.

No, but I am part of the gw2 community, so therefore I can say "our", reffering to me being part of the comunity of course. 

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by SupportPlayerMM

U mad? Game provided a solid product and made Buy 2 Play the next big thing. It basically evolved the industries pay scale.

No.  

Unimpressed?  Yes.

• ZyzraZyzra Member Posts: 354

Oh yeah right it did.  Because there was never any other buy to play game before it.  And certaintly not one made by the same company.

Originally posted by Zyzra

Oh yeah right it did.  Because there was never any other buy to play game before it.  And certaintly not one made by the same company.

It made tsw go b2p. Does that count? 

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

People count discount GW1 as a fluke, instaced, PvP focused, old, etc. GW2 is clearly none of these things, so yes, it did prove the model's viability for big-budget MMOs.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352
    Originally posted by Scalpless

People count discount GW1 as a fluke, instaced, PvP focused, old, etc. GW2 is clearly none of these things, so yes, it did prove the model's viability for big-budget MMOs.

Conveniently forgetting the fact that they are struggling to make money since no one is buying their shitty items and GEM to GOLD ratio is through the roof. The game is already starting to put in severe restrictions for players to force them to spend more money on GEMS.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352
    Originally posted by saurus123
    Originally posted by taus01

Conveniently forgetting the fact that they are struggling to make money since no one is buying their shitty items and GEM to GOLD ratio is through the roof. The game is already starting to put in severe restrictions for players to force them to spend more money on GEMS.

restrictions?

give me one :)

[mod edit]
    [mod edit] It's called the Diminishing Return system. You know it very well don't you. It's been put in place shortly after release and has been expanded since then. To a point now where after about 30 minutes of regular gameplay you don't get drops/karma anymore.

Chest Keys have been removed from the drop lists.

Bosses and Veterans don't drop loot or only trash loot ( Could be a bug but it's been like that for 3 weeks now )

Chest loot has been revised and reduced.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• RedJorgeRedJorge Member Posts: 106

Actually I checked Pirates 101 and the game is interesting.

My favourite:

[laughs]
    [walks away]
    [explosion]

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Good thread.  Thanks OP.  Congrats Anet on a job well done. 

As for Pirates101 I'm sure it does decently what it set out to do.  Any time that's accomplished I call it a success for a developer.  However I don't get the whole Pirates101 thing.  If I want that kind of fix I go play Pirates of the Burning Sea.  But whatever.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

That is like saying GW1 made DDO F2P, it is part of the reason but far from all of it.

TSW was sadly not good enough and far too small to live as a P2P game today. It do have its good parts though and I hope it will do better in the future.

I think people still will pay monthly for the right game, but TSW and TOR just wasnt the right game.

Still, GW2 is well made and deserved the prices it got even if it isnt for everyone. We need more games with that kind of work and love put into it (I am not suggesting cloning GW2, just that far too many MMOs are wayto hastily done).

Originally posted by Scalpless

No one.... That is why people on their forums are buying holiday gear, minipets etc and are walking around with them in la... Also the forums about the mystery box thing (wintersday box) and how it is a scam (even though nearly evrything can be bought right from store...)

Originally posted by Loke666

That is like saying GW1 made DDO F2P, it is part of the reason but far from all of it.

TSW was sadly not good enough and far too small to live as a P2P game today. It do have its good parts though and I hope it will do better in the future.

I think people still will pay monthly for the right game, but TSW and TOR just wasnt the right game.

Still, GW2 is well made and deserved the prices it got even if it isnt for everyone. We need more games with that kind of work and love put into it (I am not suggesting cloning GW2, just that far too many MMOs are wayto hastily done).

Your right, but it still played a part, the dev even mentioned gw2 by name in why they were going f2p. Not trying to demean tsw at all, it is a good game, just wanted to point that out. 

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

Oh sure, now all the new games are going this route aren't they?  Oh yeah, GW was B2P and it didn't change the world back then either.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Yes, is solid enough to lose active players more faser than D3 did, solid enough to be a game full of hackers and bots. And by the way, it didnt change anything, that was lotro with the freemium model. TSO will be P2P, SWTOR is still p2p, same with WoW, Rift etc. GW2 is just hype, and people who really believe the lie about ¨full servers¨. 

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by hikaru77

Yes, is solid enough to lose active players more faser than D3 did, solid enough to be a game full of hackers and bots. And by the way, it didnt change anything, that was lotro with the freemium model. TSO will be P2P, SWTOR is still p2p, same with WoW, Rift etc. GW2 is just hype, and people who really believe the lie about ¨full servers¨. 

- "strangely" there are no hackers or bots (there were some in the beginning like in every other new and very hyped mmo).

Even when there were some in the beginning, it wasn't as bad as in many other mmos around.

- "strangely" many people playing GW2 more casually than other mmos because its system allows them to do so through scaling and the possibility to jump in and play whenever you want without a extra cost

- "strangely" it is quite different to lotro systemwise and it indeed changed quite a few things which others mmos are not doing because they like to go the classic route

- "strangely" there are indeed full servers but the game is huge as are the areas in scale.

Due to the scaling system, the dungeons and extra areas, people are spread allover the world, timezones and casual play add to it aswell.

Of course there aren't as many overflows there as in the beginning when everyone were in the same areas the whole time.

GW2 doesn't have ONE or TWO areas for max levels so people will be stuck there without anything else to do.

A level 80 can do anything in any area and still be rewarded as also be challenged.

So maybe you should consider these facts before you spread so much hate and missinformation the next time.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Originally posted by RedJorge
    Originally posted by theoneandonly

Yes, Pirate 101 is an hard title to beat anyway...a family friendly game with a deep and engaging strategy.

That also actively promotes its game players to vote. I got an email from them with a link to vote for pirate 101.

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by saurus123

restrictions?

give me one :)

[mod edit]
    [mod edit] It's called the Diminishing Return system. You know it very well don't you. It's been put in place shortly after release and has been expanded since then. To a point now where after about 30 minutes of regular gameplay you don't get drops/karma anymore.

Chest Keys have been removed from the drop lists.

Bosses and Veterans don't drop loot or only trash loot ( Could be a bug but it's been like that for 3 weeks now )

Chest loot has been revised and reduced.

You are still getting loot even after 30 minutes as long as you are not trying to farm the same mobs in the same area the whole time.

I highly doubt that the keys were removed from the drop lists but ok...

Bosses and veterans are still dropping loot.

Depending on how high your magic find bonus is you might get better or worse items though.

What you forgot to add is that level 80 people or generally people that are higher on the level than the area they are in, are getting drops on their level more often than before.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by hikaru77

Noting can lose players faster than D3 - sorry. We will have to see after Wintersday but many in my guild are planning to play for the long haul. Many of them came from Rift, TOR and other sub games and find GW2 deeper, more fun and also long term game.