Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BCI - Brain Computer Interface - Would you use it for Gaming?

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

That's something I really want to know. I recently watched the Anime "Sword Art Online". A funny, little anime about a game, where people wear a helmet called "NerveGear", and when you enter the MMO, you smell, taste, feel, see, hear like in the real world. That is what science called BCI. Brain Computer Interface.

Now on the one hand, this sounds like a gamers dream. Enter a virtual world with all senses.

But then: would you use it?

It really frightens the shit out of me. We all know, any communication technology has be used two-sided. If you attach a computer to your brain, some company might as well program your brain. Such things are already researched. Or they could read out private information from your brain. Look how Facebook and Amazon know so much about us. If you regularly buy all you want on Amazon and post actively on Facebook these two companies know a crapload about you. Now imagine some companies of the future offer you cheap goods if you allow access to your brain info.

You could sell experiences from your RL as "experience game". You upload any experience in your life from your brain to the "NewInternet" and people pay you for re-living something you experienced. Like your team won when you played Soccer. Or how you hiked on a mountain. Or how you had wonderful sex.

And of course, people could become VERY addict to this virtual reality. Maybe humanity would decide virtual life is better and voluntarily live inside a Matrix? Letting Robots care for the bodily needs. BCI and constant connection of the Brain to a HyperMind collective could replace the internet. Even today with Smartphones people are potentially connected to the internet everywhere. And if you don't have a cell phone today, you have a difficult time, and people give you odd looks. So imagine it could work just as pressure to have a BCI and be connected with your brain to the Brain-Internet.

Sometimes this technology development spooks me. You say, that is all fictional? Well, today people have a much lesser feeling for "privacy" than people in the past. See Facebook asf. So apparently privacy is a cultural matter, not an absolute. In ancient Rome, people sat together and shat with a dozen others while chatting, which is rather unthinable to us.

Thoughts? How you feel about this idea? Would you connect or boycott this?

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

I would use it. can wait for the day we can shutoff out sences and use a tool to  put our brain into  a vitural world , we see 3d, we feel 3d,we think we walk ,eat,fight and havea  good time relaxing during the darkages copping of heads whit knowing it all aint real still.

as for privacy .. meh ..just like freedom.. its all nice to have but eh.. all come and go,  like games things change and have their moments.  RL jsut takes longer to chance but eventualy it will again , in 1000 years we could all eb tribe based freedom lovers or  imperail cousin lovers like the old roman empire only a bit more techy and spaceshipy..  life is weird like that..

• irpugbossirpugboss Member UncommonPosts: 427

I would use it and be terrified of it, not so much for privacy or the fact my brain can be scrambled or something...but mainly a fear I would become hopelessly addicted to it. Total immersion in a fantastic world where we can be more than what we are is just scary addictive I bet lol.

Oh god the trolling would be horrendous in those games too, teabagging would go into a whole new realm of terrible lol.

I also think given that technology more often than not we would even be hooked into it for work purposes like a virtual commute. I can definitely see this kind of tech becoming transformative of our species and society...scary/awesome part is we may be there sooner than later. I know I want this tech to be available and widely available when I am older so I can ditch the old man body and feel young again in a virtual world.

• DeitylightDeitylight Member UncommonPosts: 103
    All I can say is bring it on.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

That sort of technology is not that far off. OCZ has produced a neural interface for gaming, scientists have tied a electronic eye into the optic nerve to help a blind person see. 

It would definately add a measure of immersion to a role playing game, that is for sure. My question is how many of those guys that make female characters would continue to do so.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• irpugbossirpugboss Member UncommonPosts: 427
    I even think if we master DNA Computing and get a better handle on the human brain we can get into full sensory virtual reality...of course im no tech pro lol just love the amount of technologies coming out.

• Psy410Psy410 Member Posts: 70

Yes, that would be something scary... I think I would still do it but maybe I would first try to befriend a group of people that are new users and see if they are affected in any way, maybe even do some research, but definitely, I think I couldn't live with myself if I didn't at least tried it out.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Call me old fashioned but... I'd pass on that.
  • superpatasuperpata Member UncommonPosts: 190
    If my brain could be hacked somehow or "browsed," inspected or whatever? No way would I get close to that tech. Even if this tech was just used for controlling a virtual char/enviroment with your brain, looks a bit spooky to me. I also agree that it has the potential to replace real life ala matrix style (which would be a no no for me), depends how far the tech would be taken. I love tech and all, but for me there are some limits.
  • MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

Those who have brainstormed the future of MMO have stated the next real revolution (in this genre) will come either enhanced AI and how the player interacts with the world.

I posted this earlier and it didnt garner any response.  Technology is projected to have these advancements within our lifetime.  Source:  Ray Kurzweil's predictions.

You have to think though, once a game reaches a point of that realism......when it truly elicits (artificially) human emotions;  It will then cease to be a game and become a true escape from reality.  It scares me as well TBH.  People thought vanilla WoW was addicting and life disturbing.....it wil not hold a candle to what is coming.

I suggest watching the movie "Strange Days."  It has many of the same themes, however in a different type of movie.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    I don't think I would use it for any current-design games.  Doing something will always be more fun than thinking about doing something.

You make me like charity

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Wouldn't want someone cutting open my head, much less placing any kind of chip/piece of hardware in it.

It'd be fascinating if one day we could, but I imagine such a procedure would have a lot of risks, which I would probably be to scared to take for the sake of entertainment.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Virtual pimps would make billions. Would having virtual sex be considered cheating?
  • IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

while it sounds cool and id be tempted... im kinda going to have to say no.  last thing i want is the Y2K bug inside my brain ROFL or one of those nasty trojan worms :P

if you are directly hooking your brain up to a pc that allows that sort of ability surely catching an actual virus would be too...if you want to tinhat it as well.. you would have to expect some sort of mind control crap going on too.... 

praise it to skynet our lord and master :O

• TymorisTymoris Member UncommonPosts: 158

I don't remember where I've read it the first time, but I think an inventor once said if virtual worlds became a reality then that would be the extinction of the human race.

I doubt a lot of people would boycot it really. Think about it, you'd be able to live and experience any fantasy or obsession you have no matter how crazy, depraved, loony or what not.

Hell think about it, if you could just log in and be Darth Vader or Spiderman or Superman what reason you'd have not to go for it?

After that it would just be a slow decline. After all the only reason you'd had to go out is to just work just enough to be able to pay for that thing. After all why would you not want to? Everything you could possibly imagine would be in there.

• fernetekfernetek Member Posts: 61
    I'd be up for it. Frankly, I'd happily live my entire life in a virtual reality. For what, in the end, is life, except for a series of chemical and electrical signals sent to our brains to describe the world surrounding us?
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    No

The connotations of your computer getting a virus would scare me off.
  • ChingoChingo Member UncommonPosts: 128

2-way connection between my brain and the interwebz? No way in hell. Well, unless by some magic the good guys in net/computer security suddenly got a lightyear ahead of the bad guys permanently (which won't ever happen). 

Now, a 1-way connection as in replacing the mouse, keyboard and whatnot controllers with a direct brain interface? Would definitely give it a try if it didn't cost too much or require surgery.

Unfortunately, I'll probably be dead of old age before such tech becomes commercially viable for the masses despite some individual working experiments recently. 

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    yes.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• sagilsagil Member CommonPosts: 291
    it wouldnt be legal for many reasons. religion, real life suicide, loss of control, psychology. it would only be treated for medical purposes. although you never know what governments will secretly do with them.