Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pandora's box has opened and it could mean the end of this world.

Comments

• Bl4ck3nDBl4ck3nD Member UncommonPosts: 114
    What I find ridiculous in the first place is, all cash shop items are timed to expire in a certain amount of days such as mounts and outfits, I mean who in their right mind is going to buy a mount or new outfit every 30 days or whatever it is, it just seems like an over zealous way of squeezing every last penny from the player base and it has turned me off this company in a way that they will not see a dollar out of me.
  • Stryx74Stryx74 Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

The main issue that I had was that the permanent mount was removed (and now returned) to Elite purchasers. 

The Elite Edition was a limited time opportunity for early adopters to invest in a game they couldn't even play yet.  The reward should be high for these people.  The Deluxe Eidition is currently for sale and said rewards are clearly stated.  There is no room to complain about the price difference because of the circumstances surrounding the sale.  Elite was very early for those who wanted to invest early.  There was a hard cut-off point when they would no longer be available.  The benefits were lucrative to get the attention of players and get them to pay.  These early adopters have and should be rewarded.

That sums it up pretty well I think. It is interesting how the two factions have formed. Snail should never have given anything extra to the elites then what was originally included in their deal. I'm guessing they wanted to apologize for the mount snafu and didnt realize it would piss off the deluxers. They seem to be making knee jerk decisions and muddling the whole situation up in the process. They should add to the deluxe package whatever extra they just added to the elite package and leave it at that, everyone gets what they paid for plus a little bonus. Any other problems between the elites and deluxers should be settled in pvp. :)

• SupportPlayerMMSupportPlayerMM Member Posts: 310
    I only get an order page for 19.99, how do you only pay 9.99?
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by Bl4ck3nD
    What I find ridiculous in the first place is, all cash shop items are timed to expire in a certain amount of days such as mounts and outfits, I mean who in their right mind is going to buy a mount or new outfit every 30 days or whatever it is, it just seems like an over zealous way of squeezing every last penny from the player base and it has turned me off this company in a way that they will not see a dollar out of me.

This was actually the route of old free to play games before the Tripple A titles started to become free to play with cash shop options.  You could buy cosmetic and powerful items for one week or one month, and some even offered permanent version of that item for like $150 or something instead of paying $10 a month.

It was pretty ridiculous when I came across those games, but at the same time made enough off of it to fund what are large F2P MMO companies today.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

As a third party in this (in addition to doing some moderate reading on the subject) both sides have some good points.

Ultimately when it comes to being a consumer that is offered several options to purchase a product one would typically compare the different tiers to make an educated decision on what was best for them.  In this case that plateau was destroyed as the more expensive version was cheapened in terms of it's value.

That is the base line hard core truth on this matter.  The previous pack, which was sold for much cheaper, is giving an abundant amount of compensation for an exceedingly cheap price.  I hear people saying that any additions is for the early adopters of the game -- which is the opposite of the whole "early adopter" philosophy of people who buy stuff that then loses value over time -- though I'd have to disagree as a whole simply because the the original price point is a gift for those who "believed in" the game from the start.

The perm. horse was taken away from the early adopters, and then was replaced with two cash shop items for approximately 28 days as well as quite a bit of gold.  This in itself seems like a red flag for the game's economy, in addition to the consumer who later bought the game or may plan in doing such.

On the one side, it's almost scandalous to cheapen the value of something you purchase from the point of the consumer ( in the way that was explained in the second paragraph I.E. consumer good will and not in an illegal way ).  On the other it would make the compensation for those who got it less than adequate if they gave extra gold to all, as it would put the economy in a further state of disrepair as well as causing significant inflation as the purchasing power of said gold would plummet.  Next we have the crowd that just plain don't care and think everyone -- from the people who originally complained about the horses to the ones who bought the more expensive version -- might be a bit too entitled.

The only way out of this situation would be to come up with something to add to increase the worth of the more expensive purchase -- a single 14 day mount or something -- in addition to giving out refunds for those who aren't happy with such.  Thought that's just my opinion on the subject.

As a whole I would seek to get a refund on the game if it pulled something like this; I would not have faith in the people who either made or moderated it.  When I look at price tags I want to see the all the options available and compare them.  Even if an option is no longer available, I would like to compare it to the options I do have and make an educated decision in such.  Taking that solace away from me is something I just can't tolerate as a consumer and I would remove myself without fuss.  People don't need to hear my grievances and there is probably more productive things we all could be doing than listening to the whining.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554
    Interesting, i have been on the thin line in regard to preordering this game, i like the overall concept and have been playing Darkfall and now involved in the Darkfall Unholy wars beta so my time is pretty much spent.

Reading the comments in this thread somewhat deter me from trying the game as it does seem like i would be throwing away money...again on an mmo, which seems to be the routine now for MMo gamers.

BTW nice post Lady, good detail:) and if that is you in your avatar..very beautiful, you single? lol.
  • Bl4ck3nDBl4ck3nD Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Originally posted by parrotpholk
    Originally posted by Bl4ck3nD

You would be surprised.  Some of us have decent amounts of disposable income and therefore do not care to through away a little cash here and there on our hobby.

I have no problem putting money into a game at all, but to buy the same horse or outfit every month on top of a sub, no thanks.

• JianyuJianyu Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Originally posted by Salenger
    Interesting, i have been on the thin line in regard to preordering this game, i like the overall concept and have been playing Darkfall and now involved in the Darkfall Unholy wars beta so my time is pretty much spent. Reading the comments in this thread somewhat deter me from trying the game as it does seem like i would be throwing away money...again on an mmo, which seems to be the routine now for MMo gamers. BTW nice post Lady, good detail:) and if that is you in your avatar..very beautiful, you single? lol.

Truth be told the game is fantastic. There have been recent missteps in terms of communication and the handling of certain issues on the behalf of the publisher, but so far they've been very open in their communication and candid in discussing the issues, at least with those of us who can articulate our concerns.

If the idea that there was a limited time offer that you missed out on, which contained more benefits than you are currently able to obtain at a lower price than what you would pay now, doesn't bother you, then I absolutely say that the game is worth the buy-in price for the Deluxe edition. If not that, then certainly worth holding out for when it opens up to the broader public for free.

Check out my blog, Adventures in Atys!

• LadyEupheiLadyEuphei Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Originally posted by Jianyu
    Interesting, i have been on the thin line in regard to preordering this game, i like the overall concept and have been playing Darkfall and now involved in the Darkfall Unholy wars beta so my time is pretty much spent. Reading the comments in this thread somewhat deter me from trying the game as it does seem like i would be throwing away money...again on an mmo, which seems to be the routine now for MMo gamers. BTW nice post Lady, good detail:) and if that is you in your avatar..very beautiful, you single? lol.

Truth be told the game is fantastic. There have been recent missteps in terms of communication and the handling of certain issues on the behalf of the publisher, but so far they've been very open in their communication and candid in discussing the issues, at least with those of us who can articulate our concerns.

If the idea that there was a limited time offer that you missed out on, which contained more benefits than you are currently able to obtain at a lower price than what you would pay now, doesn't bother you, then I absolutely say that the game is worth the buy-in price for the Deluxe edition. If not that, then certainly worth holding out for when it opens up to the broader public for free.

I completely disagree. I think telling someone to purchase a game that is already having this kind of an issue with its policy is folly. This company is obviously not educated in how to deal with these issues. The game is very nice, I would strongly suggest trying it out for the free 10 hour period, but for your own sake do not invest as it is as they say on the forums a "bait and switch" deal. I would wait and see the dust settle before beting on this title. And yes the avatar is me and thank you image

• IggiePuffIggiePuff Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Originally posted by LadyEuphei
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

The main issue that I had was that the permanent mount was removed (and now returned) to Elite purchasers. 

The Elite Edition was a limited time opportunity for early adopters to invest in a game they couldn't even play yet.  The reward should be high for these people.  The Deluxe Eidition is currently for sale and said rewards are clearly stated.  There is no room to complain about the price difference because of the circumstances surrounding the sale.  Elite was very early for those who wanted to invest early.  There was a hard cut-off point when they would no longer be available.  The benefits were lucrative to get the attention of players and get them to pay.  These early adopters have and should be rewarded.

As they have been, I just see a lack of buisness ethics selling one product for half as much as another and than later pumping up the original product to make the second more expensive package look even worse in relation. This was a ill thought out buisness move and they really should have thought about it in my opinion. I can see both sides points. Elites want more cause they are earlier adopters, but deluxe paid more. If you think about it monetarily, there is probably more money in the deluxe players than the elite.

I find it interesting that people that purchased elite like you find it an unfair idea if the company gave the exact same package but charged twice as much. What is so unfair you both get the ame thing but they paid more, you stil won.

But that is not what it is about, is it? It is about establishing a gap between elite and all else. It is about being better than everyone else because you did X, right? Then I think you hit a problem with the deluxe should feel entitled because they donated more and you should feel entitled cause you donated first. At this point seems to me that you are both entitled and should just have the same stuff.

I personally do not find the deluxe edition a good value and would never consider purchasing it, even more so after recent events. I just find it telling that the elite are really trying to make an elite only community and the snail games is letting it happen. This game will have alot of trouble in the coming weeks if this mind set continues. 

I do not know about you, but I am not going to pay 20 bucks to be worse than someone else that paid 10, but maybe thats me.

Elite purchasers had what they paid for taken away from them, and were given something else in compensation. The deluxe edition was not modified in any such way. Elite purchasers made their discontent clear, Snail acknowledged their error, and gave them what was purchased while allowing them to keep the previous compensation. While that does increase the elite edition's value compared to deluxe, the circumstances are very specific; a certain subset of customers had an issue, that issue was resolved. When the table next to yours has an issue with their meal and the restaurant strikes it from the bill, and then offers them a free dessert, do you demand the same treatment?

That said, I personally couldn't care less about any gap between elite and deluxe. If Snail decides to give deluxe purchasers the same benefits, that's fine by me. What I disagree with is the idea that deluxe purchasers are now entitled to that, or that Snail is somehow treating them unfairly. It feels as though they are greedily piggy-backing on the legitimate complaints of the elite users, and trying to use the momentum of an actual issue to get more than what they paid for.

Uhhh, go read what Deluxe was suppose to get. It states "Special events and sweeptakes just for Deluxe members". Now it's being said that Elite gets that too. So the one thing we got as a bonus for spending $20 isn't an exclusive to us anymore. So we lost something that was ours only, so shouldn't we be given something for that in return?

I don't mind that Elite got more but I think how much they got for $9.99 compaired to what we got for $19.99 is way unfair. Considering Elite also now gets our exclusive. They could offer us something like extra VIP, or a perm mount or more Gold.

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768

I completely disagree. I think telling someone to purchase a game that is already having this kind of an issue with its policy is folly. This company is obviously not educated in how to deal with these issues. The game is very nice, I would strongly suggest trying it out for the free 10 hour period, but for your own sake do not invest as it is as they say on the forums a "bait and switch" deal. I would wait and see the dust settle before beting on this title. And yes the avatar is me and thank you image

wait bait and switch,  you think there is some kind of devalue in what was bought. if you want to play the game unlimited then spend the 20's you get what you pay for and you kno what your gonna get before you spend it.  i see no bait and switch there. they were trying to compensate for a mistake they made with the elite package.  the over compensated a little with some extra gold. that does not lower the value of what you get

• JianyuJianyu Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Originally posted by SunYam

Uhhh, go read what Deluxe was suppose to get. It states "Special events and sweeptakes just for Deluxe members". Now it's being said that Elite gets that too. So the one thing we got as a bonus for spending $20 isn't an exclusive to us anymore. So we lost something that was ours only, so shouldn't we be given something for that in return?

I don't mind that Elite got more but I think how much they got for $9.99 compaired to what we got for $19.99 is way unfair. Considering Elite also now gets our exclusive. They could offer us something like extra VIP, or a perm mount or more Gold.

I already responded to you about this claim on the official forums. For the sake of providing a rebuttal to another user's response there, just because Deluxe users didn't read the thread stating that Elite users were receiving all the benefits of the Deluxe edition, a statement which was issued the same day that Deluxe was made available, doesn't mean that they were cheated or that Snail Games pulled a bait-and-switch.

The fact that Deluxe users weren't aware that their "exclusive" wasn't as exclusive as they thought, when the information was there to be read, is a far cry from actually having a promised element of your package revoked. And, like on the official forums, I'm now pulling out of discussing this particular subject.

Check out my blog, Adventures in Atys!

I already responded to you about this claim on the official forums. For the sake of providing a rebuttal to another user's response there, just because Deluxe users didn't read the thread stating that Elite users were receiving all the benefits of the Deluxe edition, a statement which was issued the same day that Deluxe was made available, doesn't mean that they were cheated or that Snail Games pulled a bait-and-switch.

The fact that Deluxe users weren't aware that their "exclusive" wasn't as exclusive as they thought, when the information was there to be read, is a far cry from actually having a promised element of your package revoked. And, like on the official forums, I'm now pulling out of discussing this particular subject.

Doesn't matter what the post says. The main page talking about what Deluxe gets states that it is "Just for Deluxe" if they turn around and give it to Elite also it's no longer "Just for Deluxe". The one exclusive thing we got is not exclusive.

If you paid someone for something exclusive, they handed it to you and said "This is just for you!!" Then right in front of your face they turned around had handed the same thing to someone else... how would that make you feel, mainly if you paid twice as much as the other person?

If Elite gets our exclusive then Deluxe should get Elites exclusive. Fair is fair. Not sure how true it is but I read on the forums yesterday that both Elite and Deluxe was suppose to get the perm mount. If that's true then where's our perm mount?

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768

Doesn't matter what the post says. The main page talking about what Deluxe gets states that it is "Just for Deluxe" if they turn around and give it to Elite also it's no longer "Just for Deluxe". The one exclusive thing we got is not exclusive.

If you paid someone for something exclusive, they handed it to you and said "This is just for you!!" Then right in front of your face they turned around had handed the same thing to someone else... how would that make you feel, mainly if you paid twice as much as the other person?

If Elite gets our exclusive then Deluxe should get Elites exclusive. Fair is fair. Not sure how true it is but I read on the forums yesterday that both Elite and Deluxe was suppose to get the perm mount. If that's true then where's our perm mount?

i dont know where you read deleux exlusive though, as soon as i seen the post on there website about selling deleux edition it stated clearly that elite edition gets what deleux got

Originally posted by st4t1ck

i dont know where you read deleux exlusive though, as soon as i seen the post on there website about selling deleux edition it stated clearly that elite edition gets what deleux got

Front page of Age of Wushu. It clearly states under what Deluxe gets. It clearly states "Special events and sweeptakes JUST for Deluxe members."

Think it's sad that Elite gets what Deluxe gets plus more and at half the price. We paid $19.99, Elite paid $9.99, if anything it should've been the other way around. They should've said "Deluxe cost more so they'll get Elite plus more!" But they should at least offer Deluxe member something extra.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    Wasted 20$ on this garbage game. I will never play anything from snail games in my life. My first true boycott of a company. They flip flop, they scam, they abuse there player base and the games combat is 1999 (its horrible). You think they care about you? Not even close. Game will get shut down by 2015.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

All I know is that as an elite player, I've gotten about 7 horses since start of cb2.... I've vendered 2-3 for bag space. 

As far as w/e other perks, I do not even know what I'm supposed to get, but I know I get a gift bag almost every hour. I have so many of these "perks" (which are given to every player after a couple days of playing) I need to either sell or vendor them for bag space.

As far as the guy above. I'm sorry this is not the game for you. Hope you find one. Just curious what did you do while you played?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    God, the whining never ends.

[mod edit]

Sorry but the customer isn't always right and the world doesn't revolve around you and your pathetic twenty bucks. Move on and live with the fact that you spent your money unwisely. Who knows, you might just learn something in the process.
  • OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

It's really not as bad as people are making it out to be. Plus they have compensated in many other areas. Areas that are directly effected by how much cash you put into the game. They got a good heaping of gold. Which can be turned into in-game currency at a fair rate.

Plus from what is the word now, they actually got their Permanant mounts back. I hope people give this game a chance. I don't know about the company and their policies like that (I'm not out to get cheated either believe that), but as far as the game itself. There shouldn't be tons of complaints there, they've got an impressive sandbox pvp game on their hands.

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

Originally posted by Opapanax

It's really not as bad as people are making it out to be. Plus they have compensated in many other areas. Areas that are directly effected by how much cash you put into the game. They got a good heaping of gold. Which can be turned into in-game currency at a fair rate.

Plus from what is the word now, they actually got their Permanant mounts back. I hope people give this game a chance. I don't know about the company and their policies like that (I'm not out to get cheated either believe that), but as far as the game itself. There shouldn't be tons of complaints there, they've got an impressive sandbox pvp game on their hands.

This is not about the elite perma horse debacle. This is more about how virtual property feels cheapened when another package is increased in value. This is about how the deluxe uys feel riped off. We are more talking about the gap that has just formed and the people that are trying to fight to be at the top (the deluxe) and the people fighting to keep everyone else down (The elite) and your thoughts on it. The deluxe get 15 gold not the 105 gold the elite get, so not so much a heap as a trickle. LOL :P

Originally posted by Opapanax

This is not about the elite perma horse debacle. This is more about how virtual property feels cheapened when another package is increased in value. This is about how the deluxe uys feel riped off. We are more talking about the gap that has just formed and the people that are trying to fight to be at the top (the deluxe) and the people fighting to keep everyone else down (The elite) and your thoughts on it. The deluxe get 15 gold not the 105 gold the elite get, so not so much a heap as a trickle. LOL :P

Do you like the game? 

You know the elite player is CB1 right, and that delux was released after CB1, right? So the earliest supporters get less than the new supporters? W/e really. Idk if they gave the new guys 200g 500g. It doesn't really matter.

Originally posted by Biskop

[mod edit]

Sorry but the customer isn't always right and the world doesn't revolve around you and your pathetic twenty bucks. Move on and live with the fact that you spent your money unwisely. Who knows, you might just learn something in the process.

Your kinda angry and obviously not an american lol. I believe the deluxe have a good reason to complain, just as the elite did. The elite protested (if I was angry I would call it whining) when their package was cheapened, and now the deluxe is protesting when their package was cheapened in comparison. You should jolly up friend, you may not be from a place where it is christmas time but I wish you a good holiday and everyone else too.

• imaginaimagina Member Posts: 104

When do players have to pay to play on a beta ?

I don't even need to go further than that first problem to, not do it.

Originally posted by Biskop

[mod edit]

Your kinda angry and obviously not an american lol. I believe the deluxe have a good reason to complain, just as the elite did. The elite protested (if I was angry I would call it whining) when their package was cheapened, and now the deluxe is protesting when their package was cheapened in comparison. You should jolly up friend, you may not be from a place where it is christmas time but I wish you a good holiday and everyone else too.

I will ask you again. Do you like the game?

and 

How much do you need to feel good?

edit - merry christmas! I'm just trying to get where you are coming from. I have not heard anyone complain about any of this in game. Forgive me if I'm coming off wrong.

Originally posted by imagina

When do players have to pay to play on a beta ?

I don't even need to go further than that first problem to, not do it.

You don't. You will get a 1 hour time limit after your first 10 hours though.