Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is there to do in this MMO?

2»

Comments

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

[SPOILER] Jerome 2 score and 1...

In it mentions Psalms in LATIN (learned)

The first darkness is self explanatory. [/SPOILER]

But yes, I did have to Google the latin so I see your point.

And yes, I've had some of those quests that forced the lookup.  I guess I should change internet to walkthroughs.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by Onomas
    Originally posted by Ikeda

People should be forced to do the quest The Kingsmouth Code 1 time with no internet help.  After that, if they can't move on, know this game is likely not for you.

I've spent the last 3 days in Kingsmouth and I haven't left the area yet.  I'm about to hop over to the next island (on the same map).  Too much to see and do and collect.  And if you play RIGHT and not just google every answer, then so far this game is VERY fulfilling.

Will it last?  Who knows.  But I paid dirt cheap for this game and I've already gotten enough laughs to get my monies worth.

Some of the quests tell you to look it up lol ;)

And the length of songs for the captains treasure chest, is a must to look up.

There are some missions that involve a website created specifically for the game, so these always are worth looking up.  They now have a handy radio button for "The Secret World" that screens out spoiler sites from the Google search.  But yeah, it's modern day, so I don't have a problem researching clues on the web.

• EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549
    Dont believe all the sales hype. The game isnt anything that great.
    • Combat is kinda blah.
    • The quests are boring more annoying than challenging. My ex wife and my ex mother in-law love mystery games agitha christy, sherlock holmes, myst and longest journey and many more theyve played and I had to help em, and there nothing like those games more like regular mmo quests.                   Also my second job im a Private Investigator so the whole "investigation" missions arent anything to get excited about. I mean it would be one thing if it was like mystery games where you find clues to solve puzzles but most of them are just like jepoardy trivia or google it, no real investigating.
    • PvP is a joke which is surprising since it was made by funcom.
    • Maps are worse than Conan, and they remind me of War (cramped static mobs) but smaller.

The only cool thing about this game is the theme/setting.  Is it worth $15 .... ya.

Originally posted by EvolvedMonky
    • Combat is kinda blah.
    • The quests are boring more annoying than challenging. My ex wife and my ex mother in-law love mystery games agitha christy, sherlock holmes, myst and longest journey and many more theyve played and I had to help em, and there nothing like those games more like regular mmo quests.                   Also my second job im a Private Investigator so the whole "investigation" missions arent anything to get excited about. I mean it would be one thing if it was like mystery games where you find clues to solve puzzles but most of them are just like jepoardy trivia or google it, no real investigating.
    • Maps are worse than Conan, and they remind me of War (cramped static mobs) but smaller.

The only cool thing about this game is the theme/setting.  Is it worth $15 .... ya.

This sounds very much like someone who has maybe spent 30 minutes in the game...  TSW doesn't grab you by the lapels and slap you -- spend some time with it and you understand there's more to the game than meets the eye.  Here's the best article I've seen on TSW, and is a pretty good summary of what makes it different:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/13/why-i-play-the-secret-world/

• retiredmjretiredmj Member UncommonPosts: 160
    Originally posted by Ortwig
    • Combat is kinda blah.

This sounds very much like someone who has maybe spent 30 minutes in the game...  TSW doesn't grab you by the lapels and slap you -- spend some time with it and you understand there's more to the game than meets the eye.  Here's the best article I've seen on TSW, and is a pretty good summary of what makes it different:

I actually find his review not too far off.  A little more cynical and negative than I would have word it...but not far off.

I feel it is worth 30 bucks (it's full retail price) as a B2P, but the game is very linear and very little to do.  Luckily the story is somewhat entertaining, though there is no real immersion in your character as he/she sits around like a mute idiot during voice acting cut scenes.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    I wouldn't go into it expecting to invest years of your life into it, but it *is* absolutely worth the cost of admission, even at full retail price.  It's not perfect.  Crafting is fairly underwhelming in my opinion, and the combat can get repetative if you happen to be using certain builds (AR healing, for example).  But if you take the time to find a build that you like, and really let yourself get immersed in the world, the game is truly a lot of fun.

You make me like charity

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Originally posted by marz.at.play
    Simple answer...$15 buys you easily over 100 hours of gameplay.  Where else will you find a deal like that.  'nuff said.

+1

Best money I spent on a game in a looong time. 

Originally posted by retiredmj
    • Combat is kinda blah.

I actually find his review not too far off.  A little more cynical and negative than I would have word it...but not far off.

I feel it is worth 30 bucks (it's full retail price) as a B2P, but the game is very linear and very little to do.  Luckily the story is somewhat entertaining, though there is no real immersion in your character as he/she sits around like a mute idiot during voice acting cut scenes.

Actually prefer the silent hero to the bad voiceovers foisted on my character in other games.  The review feels to me like something from a typical funcom hater  -- dismissive without any detail, and lazy.

As to linear, you could make that argument if you played only the main storyline and no other missions.  The fact that no one is forcing the character through a particular mission or any set of missions is conveniently omitted.  If it's linear, it's because you chose to play it that way,

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by retiredmj
    • Combat is kinda blah.

Actually prefer the silent hero to the bad voiceovers foisted on my character in other games.  The review feels to me like something from a typical funcom hater  -- dismissive without any detail, and lazy.

As to linear, you could make that argument if you played only the main storyline and no other missions.  The fact that no one is forcing the character through a particular mission or any set of missions is conveniently omitted.  If it's linear, it's because you chose to play it that way,

I think what he means by linear is that you have no options on how to level.  You go from zone to zone until you've done them all.  Sure, you can do the quests in each zone in whatever order you want, but the basic flow remains the same.  It's certainly not the only game that does that, though.  SWtOR and Rift are both just as linear.

You make me like charity