Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is WoW really worth playing?

Hey,
I started playing World of Warcraft in early 2010, playing as a Rogue until level 80. In 2011, I then bought Cataclysm, yet I started to lose interest because the game gradually became more boring and repetitive. So I quit in March this year.

The other day, I was reminiscing about good games I used to play, specially with various adverts of the new expanion nearly everwhere.

I'm just wandering though, Is it worth starting again?
Do people still play it, is it still popular? (Trying not to let the recent expansion get too much in the way of giving an accurate answer).
I just feel like I will start playing MoP and then end up dropping the game again 2 months down the line, because I feel its the same s*** just different day. I don't want to invest that 2 months only to be disappointed.

The cost is not important since I get my sub paid for anyway. I just want to know is it still a good game to spend time on?

Thanks alot

Received my first Free UGC code! :)
Claim your Free UGC code Here

Comments

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439

No.  I've started playing WOW in 2005, and I continued to play regularly until just after Cataclysm was released. I had always felt that WOW was just getting better and better with each new release (Burning Crusades and Wrath of the Lich King), but Cataclysm was pretty boring and unexceptional.

Finally we have Mists of Pandaria. This was the nail in the coffin for me.  There are no more Talent trees, just a new set of "nice-to-have" convenience skills that you get ever ten levels (or so). I didn't even make it through the MOP starting area with my new panda.  It was that disappointing.

It seems like WOW isn't trying to compete with other MMORPGs, like GW2; it feels more like they are trying to compete with the type of MMOs that are more geared towards kids.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    I just went through the panda starting area the other day on my free account to see how it was. I did enjoy myself and noticed how Blizzard addded some ingame voice acting and progression to the questline there. I DID NOT like the new non-talent tree choices to making my charcter/class! After finishing the panda starting area it was back to the normal questing zones and so far I have lost interest and do not see any pull to pay a subscription again.

• fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286

I just came back to WoW and have been leveling through the new Pandaria zones which are very well designed and quite amazing looking considering how old the game is.  

I normally dislike questing and have always just grinned an beared it to get to the end game activities but this time around I'm really enjoying questing for some reason.

I also like the MoP dungeons (I've done three so far), they have very little in terms of trash mobs and can be completed very quickly while still feeling fun and somewhat rewarding.

The new talent system is really my biggest gripe with the current state of the game.  The choices are in most cases a no-brainer and in my opinion, the skills you get are mostly throw aways that don't get used often (this may change once I hit 90).

The other gripe I have is that they've dumbed down the class specializations limiting the skills you have access to.   An example:  my Affliction Lock does not have access to Shadow Bolt (normally a nice filler spell), it's only available in the Demonology specialization.   The bright side is that it has made rotations a little more streamlined but it really feels like Blizz is telling you specifically how to play each specialization.

Again, I haven't hit 90 yet (88.5) but from what I'm hearing there's a lot of focus on dailies which I don't normally like doing so I don't know how much longevity I'll get out of WoW this time around.  

Hope some of this info helps you make a decision.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

If you started playing WoW in 2010, then I would say no, it's not worth it. The nostalgia is not strong enough in you to endure what MOP has to offer. In my opinion, WoW was the best MMO ever to grace this earth. EQ, DAOC and all those other "MMOs" were not even worth considering compared to WoW.

But if you have never experienced what WoW used to be then you are unlikely to overlook all of the present shortcomings of the game. 

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281
    Got to agree with the general sentiment.  Vanilla was one of the greatest games I have played, now it is pretty bad. 

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

• kingj0nkingj0n Member Posts: 14

I've played at the start.

However, the game was pretty crappy with PvP and how the game is.

So I didn't play much after that. The game failed to me. However, many people seemed to enjoy it, as if, they were a robot with no thought process to do what they really wanted to do... Which was to play a game that was actually fun. Since everyone was doing it, they wanted to follow the trend.. which was to play WoW.

No, the game isn't really fun and the PvP was always crap. Yes, I was the best in the game when it came to PvP. Naked fights or normal everyday gear. When it came to be too much item based, it died to real PvPers.

So, go play it if you really think it was that good. It was boring to many of the hardcore pvpers, which is why many of them quit the game within the first 4 months. However, please do enjoy your borefest if you so happen to get back into a very dated game with a high sub fee. To be honest, I'd rather play  UO.

• jbs4lifejbs4life Member Posts: 12

It really depends on what you're content with.  If you do go back, you will probably have fun with the new content for about a month or so and then be back to the same old stuff.  I bought MoP and it was fun, but it's still WoW and still the same old thing.  I think for me and most of us here, we have already experienced a lot of what World of Warcraft has to offer.  And becuase of this, once you explore Pandaria, you'll most likely lose interest again (given that you quite because you got bored in the first place.)

I would say give TERA a try, it's F2P until level 28.  It's similar to WoW so you wont feel entirely lost, but the combat is insanely different with it's real time action combat.  Something different, something fresh, but also familiar - for now it's holding my attention.  The art style is amazing by the way.

I'm really hoping The Elder Scrolls Online turns out great, but we'll see.  As someone who loves MMORPG's it's kind of depressing.  There really isn't much out there - well there is but not much that is worth your time. 

Good luck and happy gaming!

• PlaidpantsPlaidpants Member UncommonPosts: 267
    Originally posted by fivoroth

If you started playing WoW in 2010, then I would say no, it's not worth it. The nostalgia is not strong enough in you to endure what MOP has to offer. In my opinion, WoW was the best MMO ever to grace this earth. EQ, DAOC and all those other "MMOs" were not even worth considering compared to WoW.

But if you have never experienced what WoW used to be then you are unlikely to overlook all of the present shortcomings of the game. 

I like WoW - but as a former player of all 3 games - lol... just lol at your statement. WoW vanilla can't touch DAoC or EQ vanilla.

• AnslemAnslem Member CommonPosts: 215

WoW Vanilla presented far more of a challenge that I have found in Cata or MoP. 

I stopped playing WoW before TBC expansion and came back recently, just 3 months or so before MoP released.

It was like a different game at first with the different zones and I rolled a different toon & faction so that helped. 

But the days of 40 man raids was long gone and the dungeon finder really took away from a part of the original game that I loved.

Also it was WAY faster to level my second time around - instances were wicked fast too -- no need for the casters to drink at low-level, etc. 

Also I found that (personally) the horde cities were way better designed?  Not so sure how to put that. 

I bought MoP but did not really enjoy the dungeons and have an alliance toon sitting at 87. 

Have been looking for something to replace the gaming itch, but can not committ the time to MMOs like I used to. 

Have fun in Azeroth. :) 

Played: Ultima Online - DaoC - WoW -

• grouchomarxgrouchomarx Member Posts: 19

At first the talent system revamp seemed to be dumbing down the game and I didn't like the sound of it.

However, when you stop and think about it: the old talent system was just getting too deep and unwieldy.  I actually like the new system now.

And yes: WoW is the same as it always was.  If you don't like it, go play another game.

I'm enjoying it. It's a lot more content rich and "mature" then GW2.

And not to be rude, but these threads are kind of pointless when there's a free trial available.  No one can on their side of the screen can tell whether YOU will like WoW again or not.  So go get the trial and try it and then decide.

• fixiffixif Member UncommonPosts: 180

I love it how people point out WoW is outdated and it offers old game mechanics or something similar when each and every game released even 8 years after it has the exact same core elements.

I can speak for myself. I started WoW in 2005 and stopped playing when DS came out.

Anyone who says vanilla was better or presented a greater challenge, never really played the game.

Classes had only 1 viable raiding spec, everything was horribly balanced and raiding bosses were only challenging only because it was a whole new game. Those mechanics are nowhere near todays raiding bosses mechanics. I enjoyed Vanilla a lot but only because it was new and shinny. It was something I never experienced before.

Cataclysm was horrible. All around. So I quit.

Came back for MoP not expecting anything special. I was pleasently surprised. So far I'm having a blast. Leveling is pretty much the same but on the other hand it really isn't. There are much less "go fetch that, kill x monsters" (altho there is a large number of these quest -  Developers have yet to figure out how to bypass those in leveling) and a lot more quests that require much less time invested. There are voiceovers, which I don't really care about, but they add a little better leveling experience and cutscenes here and there that are really refreshing.

Regarding leveling the thing I enjoyed the most was comeback of the rares that give a lot of XP and random artifacts hidden around the world that give boatload of XP when looted.

HC dungeons are fast and interesting the 1st time of course. After that it's same old same old. Stopped doing these as soon as i hit BiS 463 HC gear.

I enjoy raiding the most in WoW. This tier has 16 bosses, some of them are really very well designed. I'm still progressing trough it (8/16 HC 25) and I am looking forward to the next tier which should be out in 3 months tops.

Also world bosses are fun too, not because they are super-innovative or something but becasue they can ignite massive PvP battles ( well, on servers that are not dead) which I haven't seen since Vanilla.

What I dislike about MoP is unbelieveable amount of dailies. Yes, Blizzard claimes that you don't have to do them but every raider will try to maximize its character as fast as possible otherwise you are just hurting your guildiess. Also it's not alt friendly but they said they are looking into it. Personally I don't care about that.

Also, LFR is a horrid feature. I can see why they implemented it, but its awful nonetheless.

There are a large amount of things I don't do at all like pet battles (which are, from what i heard, really fun), Brawlers guild that  are pretty fun to watch, achievements, mount hunting, pet collecting, transmoging, challenge modes etc, upgrading your current gear with valor upgrades etc.

MoP is a lot more immerse then Cataclysm was. It offers a lot more do to after you hit max level.

BUT in a nutshell it's more of the same.

• RazperilRazperil Member Posts: 289
    Originally posted by fivoroth

EQ and DAOC were not worth considering, yet, you just did didn't you? It's a good thing they are just " your" opinions. Like another poster already said, just (laugh out loud) at that. Or incase that was not "WoW" enough, and I'm wondering if it was, (since I can't assume), "LOL"  :)

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Renton81

Hey,
    I started playing World of Warcraft in early 2010, playing as a Rogue until level 80. In 2011, I then bought Cataclysm, yet I started to lose interest because the game gradually became more boring and repetitive. So I quit in March this year.

The other day, I was reminiscing about good games I used to play, specially with various adverts of the new expanion nearly everwhere.

I'm just wandering though, Is it worth starting again?
    Do people still play it, is it still popular? (Trying not to let the recent expansion get too much in the way of giving an accurate answer).
    I just feel like I will start playing MoP and then end up dropping the game again 2 months down the line, because I feel its the same s*** just different day. I don't want to invest that 2 months only to be disappointed.

The cost is not important since I get my sub paid for anyway. I just want to know is it still a good game to spend time on?

Thanks alot

in short: it's still the gear grinder as it used to be, but now they have pandas, tamagotchi fights, and daily quests.....as well as the usual pvp battlegrounds/arena's.

If you were into those, then this is still the game for you.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    its a good game to spend time on, if you still like WoW then you should be good to go. Asking this question in forums is really not a good idea because you could like a game a lot but skip it just because a few haters say so. That happens a lot in forums. You said you get your sub paid for, give it another try and decide. My opinion? i dont like to support subscriptions but yes, WoW is still worth playing and paying for, at least until you find something that interest you better.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Im just going to answer the opening question.

Yes wow is really worth playing.

But I am moving into fps style mmos shortly DF/Firefall/Defiance.

• CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523

No way.  There is so many better games for you to spend your free time in.

Rift is fantastic nowdays, GW2 is not my game but can't beat it for free to play, Secret World is just an amazing game (and free to play).

Not to mention thatthere is some amazing games coming up, Defiance for example is just fantstic.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    My biggest gripe is that you level way too fast and miss what the game has to offer. There is no real challenge anymore either. 
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

As someone who's played since closed beta, I have to say that the game is better now than it ever was.  Cataclysm was a mess, though MoP is gorgeous and does a lot right when it comes to the PvE aspect of things.  Structured PvP is kind've a mess at high ratings and is only fun if you go against people who aren't the flavor of the month composition.  World PvP at 90 is absolutely great since 5.1 hit the shores; it's quite a lot like STV and Soutshore used to be back in the day with old TBC mechanics thrown in.

The challenge modes are pretty challenging, even after you successfully get gold on all of them; the dungeons themselves are interesting the first few times you play in them, but are extremely easy if you're not in said challenge modes.  The raid finder is kind've depressing due to the new loot system and if you get week after week of bad luck.

The talent systems were one of the most hated changes prior to the expansion's release, but I hear naught but good feedback now that people are in the meta stages of the game and have tried it out.  Indeed, I find myself switching talents on an hourly basis to fit my needs, and I no longer follow a build my raid leader made for my class role to maximize my DPS.

In the End, the end game is 50-100 daily quests a day to make money / valor / get reputation to spend said valor... that or running Scenarios for valor and a low chance for an upgrade... or the heroic dungeons, raid finder and perhaps actual raids if you have the guild for it.  Pet battles are a fun distraction, but aren't for everyone.  Farming is fun until you get maxed reputation and just lose interest in it; the produce used to be worth like 10g a piece (with you farming close to 100 per day per character), but has since dried up in their market value.

Professions are easier to level up now, requiring less tools (enchanters no longer need high level rods), and giving some 2-5 skill ups per craft with very little materials (500-600 with the lower parts still somewhat easier).

If you don't see anything that you like above, then it probably isn't for you.  

Edit:  The story of the expansion is well told in terms of WoW, and pretty interesting if the setting is one you enjoy.  They also have 2-3 month patches now that add to the story and daily quests that tell them (each time you get a new reputation level you see more story and get more quests along with one time quests with a cutscene or two).
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Normandy7
    My biggest gripe is that you level way too fast and miss what the game has to offer. There is no real challenge anymore either. 

The majority of what the game has to offer hardly consists of the quest content.  Partly why Blizzard's in such a hurry to get everyone to the cap as soon as possible.

Common sense dictates that a cap of 90 is not effectively different from a cap of 85 (or 80 or 70 or 60).  Yet players keep demanding it be raised....resulting (inevitably) in accelerated leveling each time.

The magic of Big Numbers--a psychological reinforcement High Score Board that keeps the quarters ringing in, not to be underestimated.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
         For me there is no need to go back...I was bored to tears when I finally hit 70 several expansions ago....I would have to buy 3 expansions and basically try to learn the game all over again...I had fun with WoW in the vanilla days but paying a sub and 3 expansions to try and catch back up will never happen....
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    was curious about this as well, how's the end game is it still people sitting around in the lobby area waiting for groups or people getting in a group to see what you are wearing only to vote kick you or people not being able to find groups to do open world things (the two i do know about)?
  • fixiffixif Member UncommonPosts: 180
    Originally posted by coretex666

It is the same...the game is still the same, it has been the same since like WOTLK. There have not been any significant changes for years.

If you dont like CATA, you will not like MOP...its the same...raid, bg, RBG, arena,...

Rather shallow game without any long term meaning or goals. It is good quick fun after you come home from work and need to relax for a while, so you do several bgs, dungs or a raid with friends. There is nothing more to that and never has been. Still best themepark out there, in my opinion...

Same as Cataclysm? No. If you didn't like Cata, you probably will like MoP.

Cata was horrible. A LOT of players left. When MoP hit a lot of them returned. I mean really, a lot of people have returned.

Also to answer earlier posters question: You do have some incentive to leave the city. There are pet battles and pet collecting, world bosses that can ignite world PvP, artifacts to be found etc. It has more of that than Cata ever had. With CRZ world feels alive again, as much as people like to complain that there are no nodes to be farmed or that they like to be alone (in an MMORPG) OR best of all people on PvP servers complaining there's too much PvP going on.

People forget that this game was designed with the intention of always having people around.

• AnslemAnslem Member CommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by fixif
    Originally posted by coretex666

It is the same...the game is still the same, it has been the same since like WOTLK. There have not been any significant changes for years.

If you dont like CATA, you will not like MOP...its the same...raid, bg, RBG, arena,...

Rather shallow game without any long term meaning or goals. It is good quick fun after you come home from work and need to relax for a while, so you do several bgs, dungs or a raid with friends. There is nothing more to that and never has been. Still best themepark out there, in my opinion...

Same as Cataclysm? No. If you didn't like Cata, you probably will like MoP.

Cata was horrible. A LOT of players left. When MoP hit a lot of them returned. I mean really, a lot of people have returned.

Also to answer earlier posters question: You do have some incentive to leave the city. There are pet battles and pet collecting, world bosses that can ignite world PvP, artifacts to be found etc. It has more of that than Cata ever had. With CRZ world feels alive again, as much as people like to complain that there are no nodes to be farmed or that they like to be alone (in an MMORPG) OR best of all people on PvP servers complaining there's too much PvP going on.

People forget that this game was designed with the intention of always having people around.

The world PvP sparked my interest for sure as did playing a faction and class that was different.

Couldn't get into pet collecting or pet battles and it took me two weeks to understand what a "mount whore" was. 

What took me awhile to get used to after returning was all the different mounts.  Craziness.  I tried for a bit to acquire some of them but the dailys just could not hold my attention.  My issue, not the games'.  

If I have 2 hours on a weeknight to play, I'd rather do some PvP or a new instance, not repeatable quests for reputation.  But that's one of WoW's strongpoints - it caters to all gamer types. 

Played: Ultima Online - DaoC - WoW -

• AlucardlbAlucardlb Member Posts: 83
    I quit after the first few months of cata and only came back to the game ab out a 3 months ago, and having been gone for over a year and a half i find that im really enjoying the game now, but it has alot to do with the fact tht im playing with a large group of people and that always make the experiance more enjoyable, id say if you have a group of people to play with then it would be worth the time investment. if your just going solo then you may find yourself a bit bored.
  • dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

I started playing shortly after launch. I've played off and on ever since, and probably have around 4 years worth of paid time (most of that in Vanilla and BC).

If you've never played WoW, I would say it's certainly worth  trying out.  However, if you're someone who enjoyed the original game, you're probably not going to now. I recently tried the 10-day free trial, and found it to be very, very disappointing. My main caveats:

1. No character choices; the game essentially tells you how to play now. The classes are also excessively homogenized, and stats and such have been watered down to an absurd degree.
    2. No challenge; pretty much everything that isn't an instance is soloable, and easily so.
    3. No danger;  remember wandering into an area full of elites, or trying to fight your way out of that encampment that you'd been working your way into? Between the above and flying mounts, all sense of danger is gone.

<3