Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Award] General: 2012 Player's Choice Winner Announcement

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    You know gw2 doesn't have to win everything. RPS picked farcry3 as goty with ps2 top ranked mmo and tsw 2nd ranked mmo, gw2 made the list though.
  • vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398

I am glad GW2 didn't win. It is the single most unfun MMO I have played. My GoTY would be TSW. It may be too different for some but those investigation missions are epic. Once I get to the gear grid of a end game I will be done this the game though.

Of Couse this is just my opinon

• samhigglesamhiggle Member Posts: 8

You're full of it. Not saying GW2 is a bad game. Just compare it to GW1, then play WoW and tell me that's not the direction they were going. They as much admitted it themselves when development began.

A few hardcore players liking the game so much that they don't consider it a grind, versus the mechanic lending itself to players repeatedly running the same dungeons over and over again to GRIND tokens to buy gear are two different things.

When there's a Dragonquest and/or Final Fantasy (tactics) MMO that is a better game than Pirates, I think you'll have a point.

Asking you to be objective is probably a waste of time. Sorry "your" game lost.

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    Who nominated Pirate 101? Did players nominate the games or did MMORPG.com staff pick them?
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Did the devs at Pirate 101 post something asking their fans to vote for this?  
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • ArduArdu Member CommonPosts: 55

This absolutely ridiculous, Pirate101 wins game of the year? I’m not convince, how much did KingsIsle pay to get that?

That company is a joke, they don’t respect other cultures and they don’t care about their players.  

Pirate101 doesn’t even close to the quality of Guild Wars 2.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by Ardu

This absolutely ridiculous, Pirate101 wins game of the year? I’m not convince, how much did KingsIsle pay to get that?

That company is a joke, they don’t respect other cultures and they don’t care about their players.  

Disregarding the last comment you made, this is a poll by the players.  The community of that game got together and all voted on the game they enjoyed playing.

It's my assumption that there was a tweet or something by the company asking for them to vote as it seems an impossible choice when against mainstream MMOs.

That is not to say that games that aren't mainstream can't be GotY material, but simply it's almost impossible for a fan vote to do such if the company didn't step in in some way and ask their fans to vote.

Edit:  It may also be a case that people saw their game wasn't going to win, but didn't want GW2 to win either.  Naturally that would mean voting the next up in bulk just for the laugh.  This is something that my friends from WoW (and a few from GW1) did and they tried to talk others into doing so as well as a joke.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • Johnnyboy224Johnnyboy224 Member Posts: 8

This is pretty rude, how about you actually try out Wizard101, or Pirate101 before calling the company a joke. You obviously know nothing about KI since they do respect other cultures.. they have wizard101 in china and other countries currently. They do care about the players and ask us our opinions on things they add to the game.

Guild Wars 1 was released in 2005 and had 7 years to create GW2.

Wizard101 was released in 2008 and had 4 years to create P101.

GW had almost x2 more time to "create GW2" than Kingsisle had to "create P101".

The bottom line is, our community obviously cared about this awards more than GW2. Sorry! :)

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

It's called giving free stuff if you vote for our game. Eh.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • BarblablargBarblablarg Member Posts: 2
    Congrats, Pirate 101! I was certain it would win most innovative rather than the overall best, but great nonetheless.
    Originally posted by Methos12

It's called giving free stuff if you vote for our game. Eh.

If you actually knew how to read before raging about your game losing, you would see that Bill stated that all of the games on the poll did not give out in-game items for voting.

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    I have to admit that it brings me a smile that GW2 did not win. I'm not happy it lost because I think it is the most boring "mmo" I have ever played, its because of the insufferable fanboys of GW2. If this chases a few of them away, good riddence.

I'm going to go try Pirates101 now just to show my appreciation.
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    GW2 defeted by Pirate101. I know it mean nothing, and is just by 0.5%, still, Pirate 101 just LoL.  
  • HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Why are so many people acting butt-hurt? Do you really need a poll to validate your personal choices?

LOL

Gratz to the winners.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319
    Originally posted by Hokie

Why are so many people acting butt-hurt? Do you really need a poll to validate your personal choices?

LOL

Gratz to the winners.

This. +1

• ArduArdu Member CommonPosts: 55

KingsIsle ruined the Quetzals into something so fake as a mythical snakes. I explain multiple times that Quetzals are bird species similar to Owls, Hawks and Eagles. Quetzals are also part of the Mayan culture and National symbol of Guatemala. 

Yet they haven't done anything to fix their mistake...

Do they really care about other cultures and their players? Absolutely NOT.

• BarblablargBarblablarg Member Posts: 2
    "This absolutely ridiculous, Pirate101 wins game of the year? I’m not convince, how much did KingsIsle pay to get that?

Pirate101 doesn’t even close to the quality of Guild Wars 2."

As a player of both Wizard101 and Pirate101 I have found KingIsle to be a fantastic, helpful company that strives to please its fanbase. They are quick to answer questions in the forum and will be as helpful as they can and provide fans with various updates for new items and worlds, and will show the development as the game worlds are expanded and created. This isn't me being a fanboy; this is me observing a truly good company and game.

KingsIsle ruined the Quetzals into something so fake as a mythical snakes. I explain multiple times that Quetzals are bird species similar to Owls, Hawks and Eagles. Quetzals are also part of the Mayan culture and National symbol of Guatemala. 

Yet they haven't done anything to fix their mistake...

Do they really care about other cultures and their players? Absolutely NOT.

They don't deserve crap.

Excuse me but any game company can create something in their game that doesn't have to be 100% similiar to history in the real world. If you ever find a game like that please go ahead and tell me. If you are going to let something like that upset you and make you rage about the game then obviously its not the game for you. Have a nice day!

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319
    Originally posted by I_Return

THis is ther second time this company has done this, the also did on the front page with most anticipated game leading guild wars before its release by over 100k votes, as user of this site we have no say cause money talks.

It is called people choice award not critics award. More Pirate 101 fans voted than GW2 fans. Grow up, stop crying and deal with it.

If GW2 had won you wouldn't have blamed mmorpg.com for sellign out? nope because that is your favorite MMO.

• atuerstaratuerstar Member Posts: 234

Did any other gaming site even nominate Pirates101 for anything?

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

I love how it's a Players' Poll... yet people still immediately jump to the "zomg paid-off!" when they don't agree with the results.

There's being a sore-loser... then there's just being flat out deluded and paranoid.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by I_Return

THis is ther second time this company has done this, the also did on the front page with most anticipated game leading guild wars before its release by over 100k votes, as user of this site we have no say cause money talks.

Or, you know... maybe your paranoia isn't warranted and the Pirate101 fans simply had a better showing than fans of those other games?

My god are there some bitter sore losers around here.

I didn't vote for Pirate101 either, but for crying out loud... I can accept that the one I chose didn't win the category. What baffles me is how "personally offended" or "outraged" some people act over the whole thing. Is anything in your lives going to change because a game you don't like won, or because the game you voted for didn't? I mean really?

Talk about first world problems.

Get some perspective, folks.