Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Words you wish MMO players would stop using

Comments

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Gank... nobody uses it right anymore and is just a term used for when they pvp and lose now

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    POTENTIAL

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KendaneKendane Member UncommonPosts: 225

WoW-clone- This is one of the most overused terms. WoW mechanics are very much similar to mechanics of MMOs that even came before it, and people even call those games WoWclones. Like the developers of DAoC or EverQuest used a time machine, traveled into the future, and "stole" poor old Blizzard's ideas. In addition it is used on ANY mmo coming out. MMO announced,(parrot squark) WRAAAAAAAAAK, WoW clone WoW clone, WRAAAAAAAAAAAAAK, WoW CLONE!(parrot whisle) GW2 was called one, when its mechanics are a tad bit different, ESO is called one, even though its said to have different mechanics. In short, if its an MMO, its apprently a WoW clone, because Blizzard apprently invented MMOs.

X Killer- Similar to the above. It was way overused, and is used for every and any MMO released. Why do you care so much that X(usually WoW) continues to exist? Apprently people still enjoy it, why do you want that taken from them. Also why does your MMO of the week's success depend on being a WoW killer. 

Carebear- Basically epeen stroking insults for people that like PvP more then someone else does, and therefor that person is a carebear.

U Mad Bro- Just a stupid insult that makes you look unorginal.

Fail- Oh sweet jebus am I sick of this one. People use it way to often for any MMO that has yet to come out with topics such as, "Why this game has already failed" or when a game doesn't reach 12 million subscribers that it "failed". That apprently means that EverQuest "failed" since it only reached around....I think 500k at its peak? Yeah, no I doubt that. It is also used in several topics its like a vowel or something. Something like, "This failure of a game is fail because it has fail graphics, fail mechanics, and fail developers and anyone who likes this failure of a game are failures themselves". The only saving grace for this word is any "review" I see with the word fail I know right away is most likely no worth looking into.

I'm sure there are more words I despise, but these are the ones I have for now.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Not so much as words but phrases that I can't stand, such as:

• Elder Scrolls Online is a WoW clone
    • Sandbox is the only real MMO game play
    • FFA Full Loot PvP promotes skill
    • GW2 is a horrible game and is hemoraging players left and right
    • Arch Age is going to change the face of MMO's

etc.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• DesirsarDesirsar Member UncommonPosts: 117
    Seriously?  No one is going to say "mob"?  It's an abbreviation for mobile object, and no MMO has been object oriented design like MUDs where the term originates.  They can be "monster", "NPC", or whatever else you want, but they are not and have never been "mob".
  • grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by niceguy3978
    Originally posted by Zorgo
    Originally posted by Cecropia
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    Originally posted by grimgryphon
    Originally posted by asmkm22

Do you have an alternative to the word "hyperbole?"  The word is fine.  Hearing people try and pronounce it is kind of funny though.

Exaggerate.

That word lacks the implied sarcasm or rhetoric that hyperbole conveys.  It would be like using the word fruit when you are talking about a banana.  Correct, but not accurate.

A few years ago you saw the word used next to never. Then, some sort of outbreak took place, and we now have everyone and their dogs spewing it up all over the place. The quest to be clever has reduced it's impact to squat. Similar to the case of "straw man argument". Instead of coming across as bright and original (which is obviously the intention), you just end up looking like a putz.

Overuse seems to be a problem with a lot of the examples in this thread. It's funny, much like the titles that make up this the genre, the gamers who play them are just as unoriginal and stagnant image

Hyperbole is the greatest term ever to be used in regards to mmo's - bar none;  from the past, for now and for the future, and anyone who thinks differently is the type which will bring our entire society to destruction.

I get it, well played.  Well played indeed.

Oh crap...I forgot about "well-played"

That one is really annoying.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • JostleJostle Member Posts: 63

My biggest pet peeve is when people misuse the word "literally," particularly when they use it as hyperbole, exaggeration, or emphasis. This isn't unique to MMO players or gamers in general, but some of them are guilty of it.

-Literally every feature of this game is awful.

-Literally the worst game ever.

And more generally:

-There were literally a million people there.

-My parents are literally going to kill me.

-It was literally, like, so much fun. (unnecessary)

• AnslemAnslem Member CommonPosts: 215

Winnar. Noob/Newb/N00b and its additional variants. Boi. Gurl. 

Someday I am going to write an editorial about the importance of swapping out of vowels in cyberland. OP, I'll be sure to make generous use of hyperbole in said editorial. 

I also hate epic fail.  

I teach the second grade and one kid told another that his presentation was an "epic fail." 

Agree that zergling should be kept in Starcraft. 

Played: Ultima Online - DaoC - WoW -

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

I am shocked nobody said the big two yet.  I'll say em though.  Most misunderstood 2 words in MMO gaming.

1) themepark

2) sandbox

honorable mention: Endgame

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• LizardoneLizardone Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by itchmon

I am shocked nobody said the big two yet.  I'll say em though.  Most misunderstood 2 words in MMO gaming.

1) themepark

2) sandbox

^this... specially from game directors/devs.

• AnslemAnslem Member CommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by itchmon

1) themepark

2) sandbox

Hmm... you may have just won the thread, good sir.

Played: Ultima Online - DaoC - WoW -

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by Zorgo

Hyperbole is the greatest term ever to be used in regards to mmo's - bar none;  from the past, for now and for the future, and anyone who thinks differently is the type which will bring our entire society to destruction.

Haha! Good stuff! imageThat really got a big chuckle out of me.

My personal favourite peeve is "WoW clone". I think that term has created an atmosphere of vitriol. A clone is an exact copy of something else; a WoW clone would get sued by Blizz. I think it is best to say that X game is too similar to WoW rather than saying it is a "WoW clone". It is now used as a mantra to tear down any game that incorporates a few of the features that are in WoW.

Other less annoying terms: the derogatory ones based on sexual orientation or ethnic groups I hear quite a few times in general chats in many games, rouge, and herpderp. Rouge is the one that annoys me the most out of the three since people think it is funny to deliberately misspell it, but in my language it means "red". It took me a while to catch onto what they meant.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by Kendane

WoW-clone- This is one of the most overused terms. WoW mechanics are very much similar to mechanics of MMOs that even came before it, and people even call those games WoWclones. Like the developers of DAoC or EverQuest used a time machine, traveled into the future, and "stole" poor old Blizzard's ideas. In addition it is used on ANY mmo coming out. MMO announced,(parrot squark) WRAAAAAAAAAK, WoW clone WoW clone, WRAAAAAAAAAAAAAK, WoW CLONE!(parrot whisle) GW2 was called one, when its mechanics are a tad bit different, ESO is called one, even though its said to have different mechanics. In short, if its an MMO, its apprently a WoW clone, because Blizzard apprently invented MMOs.

X Killer- Similar to the above. It was way overused, and is used for every and any MMO released. Why do you care so much that X(usually WoW) continues to exist? Apprently people still enjoy it, why do you want that taken from them. Also why does your MMO of the week's success depend on being a WoW killer. 

Carebear- Basically epeen stroking insults for people that like PvP more then someone else does, and therefor that person is a carebear.

U Mad Bro- Just a stupid insult that makes you look unorginal.

Fail- Oh sweet jebus am I sick of this one. People use it way to often for any MMO that has yet to come out with topics such as, "Why this game has already failed" or when a game doesn't reach 12 million subscribers that it "failed". That apprently means that EverQuest "failed" since it only reached around....I think 500k at its peak? Yeah, no I doubt that. It is also used in several topics its like a vowel or something. Something like, "This failure of a game is fail because it has fail graphics, fail mechanics, and fail developers and anyone who likes this failure of a game are failures themselves". The only saving grace for this word is any "review" I see with the word fail I know right away is most likely no worth looking into.

I'm sure there are more words I despise, but these are the ones I have for now.

Yeah, I forgot about "U Mad Bro". That is one I have been seeing more and more recently, and just sounds incredibly stupid. Good call!

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• WonderweissMWonderweissM Member UncommonPosts: 127

I never liked the word "troll".

Edit: Like to add that it is a largely used term, but alot of people call people trolls for the smallest of comments.

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

troll and BRO ...DONT BRO MEH BRO ..BRO! BRO! WTF!BRO! ...I HATEZ TEH WORD BRO! sounds so trashy in anyway you use it..like one of those twats from jersey shore n most people toss around troll as if they have no meaning of the word

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Kendane

Its definitely overused.  Rift (vanilla) was defiiinitely a WoW clone.  GW2 and TSW are not.

If you are a themepark and have most of this list you are a WoW clone:

three talent tree system

heavy focus on linear instance repetition for currencies

main pvp focus is instanced team matches

leveling designed to be done solo

gather, click, combine, auto skill up professions

grey, white, green, blue, purple item progession

Some of these WoW wasnt the first to use, but not all.  WoW was one of the first two true themeparks that both released within weeks of each other though.  It was the first hit MMO where solo was by far the preferred (and intended) levelling method.  It was the first MMO where instanced matches beacame the prime form of PvP that I can think of.

• ThebigthrillThebigthrill Member UncommonPosts: 117

People in SWTOR always use the word fun.

I think its mostly paid employees from Bioware that log on the SWTOR forums that keep overusingthat word.

Its like they cant use innovative , exciting , immersive , alive or interactive so they just use fun.

Its about all they can use since SWTOR dosent have much.

"Don't tell me what to do! , you're not my mod"

Saying invented by me.

• HiromantHiromant Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Rouge, missle and friends.
  • magnutsmagnuts Member UncommonPosts: 79
    /agree
  • defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

worstest word of all

is

ninja

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Desirsar
    Seriously?  No one is going to say "mob"?  It's an abbreviation for mobile object, and no MMO has been object oriented design like MUDs where the term originates.  They can be "monster", "NPC", or whatever else you want, but they are not and have never been "mob".
    Aren't they objects in a game? Assets, as it were? Do they move? Sounds to me like they are, in fact, Mobile OBjects. Unlike other assets like buildings, vehicles, and the like that do not move.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

After all, if one throws in a Latin phrase, it must mean their opinion is more intelligent or brilliant, right?

Non sequitur.

Such a fun thread. :)

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

My biggest pet-peeve word....

HARDCORE

...and the players that use this word.  It's a game.  It's not "hardcore".

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

WoW-Clone

I just asume those people who speak about WOW-clones are  entering a MMORPG, walk up to the first NPC they see, accept a quest/mission without taking the time to actually read/listen (to) it, run to the map marker, return to the NPC, accept reward and onto the next ? NPC and doing the same again. Then log into forums and complain "Damn this game is a WoW-Clone"

Sorry, I just played so many MMORPG and havn't seen this WoW-Clone in any of them. Sure there are ALWAY's similarities in game genre's, just like FPS games have certain things in common, same with RTS games and every other genre of gaming.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    "polished"... All that being polished tells me about a game is what it is not: unpolished. A game can be extremely polished and yet still not be fun, different, or worth the cost.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer