Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Award] General: 2012 Player's Choice Winner Announcement

Comments

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

Grats to pirate 101.  Maybe other games will see that quality does win.

Nice job.

• livespartanlivespartan Member Posts: 71
    .................lolwut
  • Johnnyboy224Johnnyboy224 Member Posts: 8

Woot! Congrats Pirate101 & Kingsisle!

Our community is one of the best out there and stands behind the company 100%.

Gratz again and have a merry christmas everyone! :)

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    Well, this is what happens when apathy meets an active community who enjoy their game. Even though I think Pirate 101 is a big pile smelly trousers, I will say GZ and well played for winning. Fair play KingsIsle. :)
  • LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    Hell yes.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• tatflametatflame Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Congrats to all of the winners, and a huge congrats to P101 and KingsIsle. You treat your community so well, and a very loyal community it is.  KI didnt actually campaign. They posted a link on the log in screen, saying they have been nominated, and the loyal and dedicated community did the rest. The KingsIsle family, might be one that hides under the radar, but is a powerful one, when they want to be heard. KI is much loved, because they foster fairness and friendliness  and go out of their way to keep their players happy.  Well done. :)
  • samhigglesamhiggle Member Posts: 8
    Having played both I think Pirates deserves it. GW2 just tried to be like WoW, face it folks. Surprised Pirates didn't win Most Innovative too. Chess type combat in an MMO? What other dev has the balls to do this and be successful at it? KI gives me hope that the industry is not all full of a bunch of WoW cloners.
  • NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Congratulations to the winners and their fans. Let the wig snatching begin.

You and I know this won't go by quietly. 

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Well, that's surprising. Good to see strategy RPGs still have a following, even though I don't play Pirate 101.

I still wonder why people seem to be excited about TESO, though.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by samhiggle
    Having played both I think Pirates deserves it. GW2 just tried to be like WoW, face it folks. Surprised Pirates didn't win Most Innovative too. Chess type combat in an MMO? What other dev has the balls to do this and be successful at it? KI gives me hope that the industry is not all full of a bunch of WoW cloners.

Ok, there is nothing wrong with pirate101 winning in this poll. However, please actually pkay gw2 first before saying it just tried to be like wow. Please.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Well the outcome is a bit unexpected or but I like it :) Don't think the most innovative went to the right place but it's my opinion and opinions tend to differ.
  • samhigglesamhiggle Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by KingJiggly
    Originally posted by samhiggle Having played both I think Pirates deserves it. GW2 just tried to be like WoW, face it folks. Surprised Pirates didn't win Most Innovative too. Chess type combat in an MMO? What other dev has the balls to do this and be successful at it? KI gives me hope that the industry is not all full of a bunch of WoW cloners.
    Ok, there is nothing wrong with pirate101 winning in this poll. However, please actually pkay gw2 first before saying it just tried to be like wow. Please.

I have a level 80 ranger, I stopped when I hit the gear grind WoW is famous for. Good enough?

• PaigeMoonPaigeMoon Member UncommonPosts: 7

Woot! Congrats Pirate101 & Kingsisle

Congrats to all other  winning games. Everyone did a fantasic job

• livespartanlivespartan Member Posts: 71
    Well this poll has told one thing about this site its filled with little kids but I guess that explains the hate towards every other game on this site. Good bye MMORPG.com
  • AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    So much talk about game of the year and pirate 101, lets talk about how the hell did TESO win most anticipated game of the year, I havent showed a smile one bit for it.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319
    Originally posted by livespartan
    Well this poll has told one thing about this site its filled with little kids but I guess that explains the hate towards every other game on this site. Good bye MMORPG.com

Kida also play GW2. I have no idea what are you trying to imply here. You think GW2 is targeted towards adult audience only?

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by samhiggle

Originally posted by KingJiggly

Originally posted by samhiggle Having played both I think Pirates deserves it. GW2 just tried to be like WoW, face it folks. Surprised Pirates didn't win Most Innovative too. Chess type combat in an MMO? What other dev has the balls to do this and be successful at it? KI gives me hope that the industry is not all full of a bunch of WoW cloners.

I have a level 80 ranger, I stopped when I hit the gear grind WoW is famous for. Good enough?

Not really, as there is no gear grind (except for the 2 ascended peaces... But i got those at lvl 55 engi), atleast our combat isnt a dragonquest/ final fantasy knockoff. 

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by Kiljaedenas
    Are you bloody kidding me? Pirate101?! I played that and it definitely wasn't anywhere near GotY quality!!! It is not a good game; it's buggy, has dated-looking graphics, has the overall feel of a F2P game when it is B2P or possibly sub, and the turn-based combat has some serious issues at times! Epic fail of a poll!

If anything, it's an epic success of a poll.  We asked folks to vote, and P101's players came out to represent their game more than anyone else did. They deserve a congrats for having such a passionate fan-base.  

Indeed and well-said, Bill.

But you know how it goes, any time the game chosen isn't some individual's personal favorite, it's regarded as a great travesty and a crime against humanity.

People will get over it.

Or not.

Either way, congrats to the winners!

• WizardAngel101WizardAngel101 Member Posts: 2
    Pirate101 is awesome, just like every other Kingsisle games... Nice job Kingsisle
  • SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531
    I hope everyone can now see and wake up that graphics don't and will never do a game.  Good job Pirate101 !!   Most anticipated , TESO is a no brainer , everyone's still brain washed on how amazing Skyrim was , I'd hold the dial on TESO , just my way on seeing and feeling things. Star Citizen is simply mind blowing and deserves all the attention it can get. As far as GW2 goes , I won't comment on it.  And LoL is a pretty nice choice for a hybrid MMO.   Overall , I'm happy with this years selections, for a change. :)
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Grats Pirate101 on GOTY, it wasn't my choice, but it would've been my second choice.  I do love me some Pirate101, and so do kids (we're all kids at heart right?). 

I had no doubts that TESO was going to win most anticipated.  Among all my friends I've made over the decades of playing online, the vast majority say that they will probably be moving to it at least for awhile, and I'm one of them.  I might actually find something better than WoW or Rift O_o

Star Citizen is one of the "darkhorse" titles I've been looking into since it was announced.  I'm a sim junkie and a space junkie....so it might be just for me :D

Another one I had no doubts about, LoL has such a large playerbase, like 1% of thier players could vote to win it probably, jk lol.  I drop in to get my Yorick fix every once in awhile :)

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    Pirates beat out WOW, LOTRO, EQ2, SWTOR, Planetside 2, STO, Vanguard, GW2 and even the MMORPG.com forums.  LOL
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Jonoku
    So much talk about game of the year and pirate 101, lets talk about how the hell did TESO win most anticipated game of the year, I havent showed a smile one bit for it.

I am guessing that the people who voted for TESO most likely are the people who actually took the time to read more about the game, often from original source. Obviously when just reading what forum posters have to say about the game does make people think TESO will be a bad game. Thruth is both sides don't know untill they actually are able to play the game though I can defenitly understand it got the vote pure what we already know. I havn't seen a good constructive topic "bashing" TESO with proper info as most of the "bash" topic are just ramblings with no true info in it. The most populair comments are often " it's just like WOW" which continue's to just tell "Hey I have a very limited playstyle and the only way I am able to play is how I have played WOW"

As for the results: Yes I am suprised, but congrats to the winners never the less.

One thing I find funny is that this site has covered Pirates101 allot, yet now suddenly people want to play it because it has won? Perhaps it has great/good feature's, but it aint my visual style of game.

• LorishaLorisha Member UncommonPosts: 21

Me finding it hilarious that Pirates 101 took GOTY has nothing to do with being or not being a fan of GW2.  I bought GW2 on day 1 I have a level 8 character I am far FAR from a "fanboi" of this game. 

I can't figure out if the joke is on GW2 for losing to a game like Pirates 101 or on MMORPG for having to list a game like Pirates 101 as THEIR players choice Game of the Year. 

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Most Anticipated: Elder Scrolls Online
    "Congrats to Zenimax Online Studios. Now you'd better not let us down when the game launches at the end of 2013!"

No pressure here! lol

Pirate101 did surprise me! Gratz to KingsIlse :)

And gratz to all the other winners :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR