Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

epic level quest

aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

i mentioned this as a comment to the recent video post by Ms Ford.

i would be tempted to try this game again if SE didnt require an epic level quest to obtain lost account information and to subscribe. honestly, i can't even remember the arcane process by which i originally had to sign up for the game when it launched.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
One could be called finite, the other infinite.
A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Comments

• Cosmonaut79Cosmonaut79 Member UncommonPosts: 175
    I have to agree.  I plan on playing again, but dread the day when I have to try to remember the info needed to restore my account.
  • aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Cosmonaut79
    I have to agree.  I plan on playing again, but dread the day when I have to try to remember the info needed to restore my account.

that's the problem of course. so much of my information has changed (a few times i might add) since the game released that i know i will not be able to do so.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Having that many game, forum, website, bank, and other internet accounts and memberships I would thought it be wise to record all you details on a notepad or other means to keep all your account information to hand, saves you all the headache in the long term.  Only takes a minute or so to write things down.  Don't blame companies for your own downfalls.
  • koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

Normally I would say it is a user problem not a company problem, but in this case (if you remember FFXIV's launch account protocol) it is on SE.

That had to be one of the most bizarre account systems ever created.  You had to register, purchase something to get something, then use that something to get another thing which you already purchased, then you had to match all three things then finally make a character on an account....and all this was very poorly translated.

SE did everything wrong when it came to FFXIV, and that included account management.

• moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    Originally posted by biggarfoot
    Having that many game, forum, website, bank, and other internet accounts and memberships I would thought it be wise to record all you details on a notepad or other means to keep all your account information to hand, saves you all the headache in the long term.  Only takes a minute or so to write things down.  Don't blame companies for your own downfalls.

If the company makes it easier to locate/retrieve old/lost accounts, people will be more likely to consider resubbing to their game when it is relaunched regardless of whose fault it was for losing said account in the first place.

Square Enix is know to have a pain in the ass system in place for their games, that in of itself is enough to deter some people from trying this game again.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by koboldfodder

Normally I would say it is a user problem not a company problem, but in this case (if you remember FFXIV's launch account protocol) it is on SE.

That had to be one of the most bizarre account systems ever created.  You had to register, purchase something to get something, then use that something to get another thing which you already purchased, then you had to match all three things then finally make a character on an account....and all this was very poorly translated.

SE did everything wrong when it came to FFXIV, and that included account management.

FFXI was overcomplicated with the play online hosting, but FFXIV doesnt use playonline and its very straight forward, as long as you know your username and password you can log into the SE account site and game client.  If members wrote down their account  login details then they wouldnt cause themselves so many problems in recovering their accounts.

• tort0429tort0429 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Originally posted by chelan

i would be tempted to try this game again if SE didnt require an epic level quest to obtain lost account information and to subscribe. honestly, i can't even remember the arcane process by which i originally had to sign up for the game when it launched.

I have too many different logons and passwords to remember so I use a free software utility called Keepass.  Has a great password generator, space for notes, user logons, web links etc....  And it's all encrypted for security protection.  Nice program.  

Hope it helps.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all!!

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by tort0429
    Originally posted by chelan

I have too many different logons and passwords to remember so I use a free software utility called Keepass.  Has a great password generator, space for notes, user logons, web links etc....  And it's all encrypted for security protection.  Nice program.  

Hope it helps.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all!!

i'll check it out, thanks.