Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The War Z: Just When You Think It Can't Get Worse....

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Developers of The War Z have lost the trademark for the game's name. A trademark infringement suit was brought by Paramount claiming that The War Z was too similar to the name of an upcoming film, "World War Z". The War Z has also been under fire recently from consumers and the game has been removed from Steam.

Read the legal documents here.

Via GGMania.com

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012
    I feel bad for people who paid for this.

But it's proof #15745678 that people should just ignore hype
  • SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    Lol, Awesome.
  • AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

Oh dear, now what are they going to call themselves?

• TheIdealistTheIdealist Member UncommonPosts: 45
    i cry my 10 euro.. 
  • KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    They recieved the suspension letter on November 15th yet continued to launch on Steam with the name in order to gain more sales using name recognition off the back of the movie and the arma 2 mod. I give it 3 months before the plug is pulled on the whole thing and use the money made to start their next scam... which is already due to launch next year.
  • FaelanFaelan Member UncommonPosts: 819
    With all the justified bad press they are getting at the moment, isn't a forced name change almost a good thing for them by now? 

I'm a big ol' fluffy carewolf. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    Originally posted by AwDiddums

Oh dear, now what are they going to call themselves?

Guild World Wars Of Zombiecraft.........I think it's catchy ;)

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by kishe
    I feel bad for people who paid for this.

But it's proof #15745678 that people should just ignore hype

So glad I got my refund when I did, although had to jump through hoops for a few days but it was worth it.

Every since I discovered the EULA was cut and pasted from the League of Legends, I immediately new to get off the ship.  Sergie Titov is an amazing embarrasement to gaming!

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    If you went in a pub and they had a sign saying pint of beer £3. You paid your £3 and got half a pint of still Orange.

THAT is the war z
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    This game is pretty much dead now and I doubt anyone would buy a game from these devs ever again.
  • WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

Surprised it took this long.

Must have finally come across their radar.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Let's discuss something more meaningfull......like the movie World War Z!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0816711/

Zombies!

I guess they seriously took a similar name. No "woops" here at all.

• elvenwolfelvenwolf Member UncommonPosts: 146

They told there were huge maps on steam more then 200km , maps are more or less 75 square km

They told on steam you could use xps on skills, there is no skill system

They told there were maps with 100 players, at the moment of the STEAM lunch their maps, on all servers, were max 50 players

They told was possible to have private servers, at the moment of the steam launch and as far i know even now, there is no private server.

Is that list enough or we can say they launched on steam giving as done features that were not in the game, or you want to go the developer way and say i "Misread" the steam page?

Because i and the rest of the world population that use steam apparently can read other things and understand but the whole of us "Misread" a single game page on steam.

Of course if you work in WarZ development, my sincere condolences.

If you refere at the fact that after they changed the steam page, that before steam removed the game from his system, well... a scam is a scam i fear, that means, if you put on a advertisement page thigns that are not present in your product, is a scam.

Then of course.. i might have "Misread" everything.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

This was a nice concept for a game but ruined by terrible judgment by the development team and false advertising that was misleading.

This looks like another nail in the coffin, so glad I didn’t waste my money on this.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Ok creed
    100 players per server - nope 50
    400km2 maps - nope 10km2
    Private servers - nope public only

Then you got the ridiculous case shop system (read the RPS review)
    Physics that are completely broken - fall up cliffs, drown in 1mm deep puddles.
  • KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Originally posted by Normandy7
    This game is pretty much dead now and I doubt anyone would buy a game from these devs ever again.

The game they're launching next year will be under another company name, just like they did with going from War Inc to WarZ. Sergey and co have already been buying themselves out in preparation. It will be apparent to communities such as this one but the general populace will likely be unaware as it won't be on places like the BBC News site etc as the current shenannigans are.

The shame of it is I know some peeps that are convinced this game is the sequel to Day Z. The stand alone game that is supposed to come out. Tried arguing with them about it butI just gave up.

Unfortunately this game has unfairly given that project some bad PR as well.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by DMKano

The devs of  ScamZ should know.... Karma is a bitch! At least their get rich quick scheme to rip off players is blowing up right in their face  a lot quicker than I thought.

MMORPG should remove this "game" from their list.

agreed. im rather appalled that im staring at a flashing advertisement for this game while typing this. i spose mmorpg.com has better things to worry about than their customers, ie., money.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418

lets not forget the Book World War Z by Max Brooks that has been out since 2006

Originally posted by creedgaming
    Game pulled in what regard ? It's not pulled from being sold.... Its pulled from being on steam because they don't want to deal with people crying for refunds anymore.... 

YES! pulled from Steam! where else is it being sold other than by them?

Going to get worse anyways. Would imagine considering what some other sites uncovered about their ad campaign that AMC, Kirkman, or both will be suing shortly.

Originally posted by chelan

All of this is irrelivant... By one disclaimer Subject to change.... Like it or not.... 100 player thing was deemed to not be ready , and would be a game set back.... Map size wasn't ready for launch....  Bugs , glitches , all of that is irrelivant.... You guys are obviously mainstream fans who haven't been gaming since 1990 and this has been part of the industry since DOS games... Hell before that commador 64 games had to break promises too...

Originally posted by Giddian

This person is Delusional or stupid.

How many games have you seen pulled for misleading customers?

get a grip

once again i think we can observe a growing trend in comments that are pro-WarZ: they seem to be primarily by non native english speakers.

nothing wrong with that in itself. as ive said before i wish id had the foresight and discipline to learn a second language. (or as is often the case in euroland a third language.)

but i do find it a convenient coincidence that the dev company and the posters both have the same linguistic writing skills.

then again, im paranoid.

My post was NOT Pro WarZ It was against Creedganing.

Thank you

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    All of this is irrelivant... By one disclaimer Subject to change.... Like it or not.... 100 player thing was deemed to not be ready , and would be a game set back.... Map size wasn't ready for launch....  Bugs , glitches , all of that is irrelivant.... You guys are obviously mainstream fans who haven't been gaming since 1990 and this has been part of the industry since DOS games... Hell before that commador 64 games had to break promises too...

If you're seriously falling back to the "tactic" of pointing at other games/products who've done similar things to defend your own, you're in a pretty desperate way. Though, considering the rolling trainwreck of "one thing after another" bad news around this game, I guess it's not surprising.

Here's another hint as to why this game is getting thrashed so much...

Usually, when a game launches with features listed on the box not actually present in game, they'll at least address it as "yes, those are planned features that weren't ready for launch. We could have implemented them "as-is" but felt it would be better to take more time with them to make sure they were finished before releasing them. So, those features will be released some time after launch.

What they don't say is, "Oh, people just misread those things"They don't dismissively blame it on the players/customers "misinterpreting" them.

And finally, the gap between what's promoted on the box, and the reality of what's actually in-game is pretty damn huge. I mean, it's not even close in a few cases. Essentially what was released is a game that should still have been in Alpha phase, or even pre-Alpha as all core features were definitely not completed. I mean, companies have been increasingly criticized for releasing unfinished products over the past years. The idea is to release something that's more complete. Not less. So why in the world it was considered "okay" to release a game in a state that's nowhere near its advertised state is beyond me.

All I can say is there were a bunch of bad judgment calls made for The War Z. And worse, official reaction to the fallout has been pretty abysmal as well.

That this game is in such a poor state, and under such heavy scrutiny should surprise absolutely no one.

• CailiegCailieg Member Posts: 85
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    Going to get worse anyways. Would imagine considering what some other sites uncovered about their ad campaign that AMC, Kirkman, or both will be suing shortly.

The use of The Walking Dead promotional pictures in their banners, ads and other product parts.

Yep, they will likely be sued over that. And they deserve it. Honestly from the guy who brought you Big Rigs.....

Let us face the fact that this Creed poster sounds like he is way too invested in the company to believe the facts in front of him, be he an employee, friend, or fanboy.

I will be glad when this debacle is over, and I hope that all those wronged by this man can get things righted. AMC, Kirkman and anyone else who has made TWD a modern day sensation of both book and film media, deserve better than to be ripped off by a scam artist with no personal creativity when it comes to art. Now he did come up with a great ARMA mod. Not so much, his own games.

Alexis

*smiles*

• elvenwolfelvenwolf Member UncommonPosts: 146

The game was sold with you knowing it wasn't ready it was sold in beta how dumb are you?

How original was World of warcrap , not original at all.... It was a Ultima online knockoff in ever sense of the world..... How original was Call of duty ; Not very original at all..... 

I got a feeling almost all of you come from Xbox gaming...  

You mean the fact that it was a "release" or the fact that on teh steam page tehre was nothing to point to the fact the game was in that alpha state that the developers desperately want to call beta?

If the game wasn't ready why are they even trying to sell it?

Why a  disclaimer "This game is in a sorry state, we should not even call it beta but we are selling it"  wasn't on the page?

I checked the WarZ site, in NO part of it , especially on the "Buy" page is a disclaimer the game is still in beta.

the only disclaimer present is a "PC only" game.

So again, how is this not a scam?

This discussion has been closed.