Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

The War Z: Just When You Think It Can't Get Worse....

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe Land of AZPosts: 16,614MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

Developers of The War Z have lost the trademark for the game's name. A trademark infringement suit was brought by Paramount claiming that The War Z was too similar to the name of an upcoming film, "World War Z". The War Z has also been under fire recently from consumers and the game has been removed from Steam.

Read the legal documents here.

Via GGMania.com

Associate Editor: MMORPG.com
Follow me on Twitter: @MMORPGMom

Comments

• kishekishe aitooPosts: 1,978Member Uncommon
    I feel bad for people who paid for this.

But it's proof #15745678 that people should just ignore hype
  • SwaneaSwanea Vegas, NVPosts: 2,368Member Uncommon
    Lol, Awesome.
  • AwDiddumsAwDiddums Great YarmouthPosts: 394Member Uncommon

Oh dear, now what are they going to call themselves?

• TheIdealistTheIdealist ThessalonikiPosts: 12Member Uncommon
    i cry my 10 euro.. 
  • KabaalKabaal Edinburgh, ScotlandPosts: 3,012Member Uncommon
    They recieved the suspension letter on November 15th yet continued to launch on Steam with the name in order to gain more sales using name recognition off the back of the movie and the arma 2 mod. I give it 3 months before the plug is pulled on the whole thing and use the money made to start their next scam... which is already due to launch next year.
  • DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,539Member Uncommon

The devs of  ScamZ should know.... Karma is a bitch! At least their get rich quick scheme to rip off players is blowing up right in their face  a lot quicker than I thought.

MMORPG should remove this "game" from their list.

• FaelanFaelan CopenhagenPosts: 826Member Uncommon
    With all the justified bad press they are getting at the moment, isn't a forced name change almost a good thing for them by now? 

I'm a big ol' fluffy carewolf. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• spookydomspookydom BristolPosts: 1,782Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by AwDiddums

Oh dear, now what are they going to call themselves?

Guild World Wars Of Zombiecraft.........I think it's catchy ;)

• azzamasinazzamasin Butler, OHPosts: 3,058Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by kishe
    I feel bad for people who paid for this.

But it's proof #15745678 that people should just ignore hype

So glad I got my refund when I did, although had to jump through hoops for a few days but it was worth it.

Every since I discovered the EULA was cut and pasted from the League of Legends, I immediately new to get off the ship.  Sergie Titov is an amazing embarrasement to gaming!

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• zymurgeistzymurgeist Pittsville, VAPosts: 5,212Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by creedgaming
    Feel free to tell us what those were zymurgeist....

I reinterate. Read the news here there or anwhere.

"Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause" ~Victor Hugo

• ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    If you went in a pub and they had a sign saying pint of beer £3. You paid your £3 and got half a pint of still Orange.

THAT is the war z
  • zymurgeistzymurgeist Pittsville, VAPosts: 5,212Member Uncommon
    Again i ask you what features didn't make it in , that they said would be on steam....

There are several maps over 400km in size for a beginning.

"Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause" ~Victor Hugo

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148 1, NJPosts: 6,690Member
    This game is pretty much dead now and I doubt anyone would buy a game from these devs ever again.
  • WickedjellyWickedjelly Yahoo, COPosts: 4,990Member

Surprised it took this long.

Must have finally come across their radar.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL NetherlandsPosts: 2,280Member Common

Let's discuss something more meaningfull......like the movie World War Z!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0816711/

Zombies!

I guess they seriously took a similar name. No "woops" here at all.

• elvenwolfelvenwolf RomePosts: 139Member

They told there were huge maps on steam more then 200km , maps are more or less 75 square km

They told on steam you could use xps on skills, there is no skill system

They told there were maps with 100 players, at the moment of the STEAM lunch their maps, on all servers, were max 50 players

They told was possible to have private servers, at the moment of the steam launch and as far i know even now, there is no private server.

Is that list enough or we can say they launched on steam giving as done features that were not in the game, or you want to go the developer way and say i "Misread" the steam page?

Because i and the rest of the world population that use steam apparently can read other things and understand but the whole of us "Misread" a single game page on steam.

Of course if you work in WarZ development, my sincere condolences.

If you refere at the fact that after they changed the steam page, that before steam removed the game from his system, well... a scam is a scam i fear, that means, if you put on a advertisement page thigns that are not present in your product, is a scam.

Then of course.. i might have "Misread" everything.

• CoolitCoolit FalkirkPosts: 468Member Uncommon

This was a nice concept for a game but ruined by terrible judgment by the development team and false advertising that was misleading.

This looks like another nail in the coffin, so glad I didn’t waste my money on this.

• ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Ok creed
    100 players per server - nope 50
    400km2 maps - nope 10km2
    Private servers - nope public only

Then you got the ridiculous case shop system (read the RPS review)
    Physics that are completely broken - fall up cliffs, drown in 1mm deep puddles.
  • KabaalKabaal Edinburgh, ScotlandPosts: 3,012Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Normandy7
    This game is pretty much dead now and I doubt anyone would buy a game from these devs ever again.

The game they're launching next year will be under another company name, just like they did with going from War Inc to WarZ. Sergey and co have already been buying themselves out in preparation. It will be apparent to communities such as this one but the general populace will likely be unaware as it won't be on places like the BBC News site etc as the current shenannigans are.

The shame of it is I know some peeps that are convinced this game is the sequel to Day Z. The stand alone game that is supposed to come out. Tried arguing with them about it butI just gave up.

Unfortunately this game has unfairly given that project some bad PR as well.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• aspekxaspekx Brandon, FLPosts: 2,167Member
    Originally posted by DMKano

The devs of  ScamZ should know.... Karma is a bitch! At least their get rich quick scheme to rip off players is blowing up right in their face  a lot quicker than I thought.

MMORPG should remove this "game" from their list.

agreed. im rather appalled that im staring at a flashing advertisement for this game while typing this. i spose mmorpg.com has better things to worry about than their customers, ie., money.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• GiddianGiddian Livonia, MIPosts: 415Member Uncommon

lets not forget the Book World War Z by Max Brooks that has been out since 2006

• GiddianGiddian Livonia, MIPosts: 415Member Uncommon
    Game pulled in what regard ? It's not pulled from being sold.... Its pulled from being on steam because they don't want to deal with people crying for refunds anymore.... 

YES! pulled from Steam! where else is it being sold other than by them?

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,539Member Uncommon
    All of this is irrelivant... By one disclaimer Subject to change.... Like it or not.... 100 player thing was deemed to not be ready , and would be a game set back.... Map size wasn't ready for launch....  Bugs , glitches , all of that is irrelivant.... You guys are obviously mainstream fans who haven't been gaming since 1990 and this has been part of the industry since DOS games... Hell before that commador 64 games had to break promises too...

You forgot to include your own game Sergey, how could you forget to include Big Rigs in that list.....  big Rigs had a few bugs and glitches, but I see as you say it's irrelevant :) makes sense to me now 

Going to get worse anyways. Would imagine considering what some other sites uncovered about their ad campaign that AMC, Kirkman, or both will be suing shortly.

This discussion has been closed.