Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

General: Smedley: MMOs 'Are Stagnant and Stuck in This Model'

Comments

• OnomasOnomas Rock Hill, SCPosts: 1,128Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Vidir
    Originally posted by Onomas
    Originally posted by akiira69
    Originally posted by Terranah

As long as he isn't blowing smoke up our tail pipes, I like what he's saying.  I believe redemption is possible.

And give us back Precu SWG.  Call Disney. 

The problem is, is that hes always blowing smoke up our tail pipes. He's the reason SWG died, hes the one who authorized the release of NGE, and then lied that it was approved by LucasArts. He's also the reason that Vanguard Saga of Heroes is such a dismal failure. He rushed the game to launch completely ignoring the fact that it has more bugs in it than WinME.

Think this is wrong lol

Vanguard:

Sigil games Online actualy made and released this game at start. SOE was only a co-publisher.THough some of SOE designers did help make VG, it was actualy released by Sigil and acquired by SOE months later. So Smedly was not at fault here.

SWG:

Julio Torres the producer for Lucasarts was the one that made the NGE happen. He has mentioned this in letters, blogs, and interviews. Not the only game he has ruined from LA btw ;) SOE went along for the ride, i do not blame SOE for this. LA was greedy and wanted a WOW success and hurt 400k+ sub players.

Vanguard was written by Sigil games. I did an early beta and at that time microsoft was supposed to handel servers and billing for the game,but for some reason microsoft gave it up leaving sigil with no options,then they got soe to take care of those servers and billing things. Game did not succsess and sigill went bankrupt, and they sold the game to soe,end of story.

And this is smedley's fault how so? Since your entire rant was about him.

And the game was released in Jan, SOE didnt take over until march-may.

Not Smedleys fault at all but microsoft's fault leaving Sigil with allmost redy game and no cash.So did good things with this game the first 2 years then they gave it up.

"When I did beta test Vanguard very early it was on microsoft servers and I did contact microsoft support for helping me with problems I had in this early beta, that was very good support took les than an houre to get responce from a helpful staff. never understood why microsoft gave up Vanguard."

Oh thought you were akiira guy replying lol. My bad. His post was about smedley killing SWG and VG lol.

My apologies.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Xenia, OHPosts: 951Member

Not Smedleys fault at all but microsoft's fault leaving Sigil with allmost redy game and no cash.So did good things with this game the first 2 years then they gave it up.

"When I did beta test Vanguard very early it was on microsoft servers and I did contact microsoft support for helping me with problems I had in this early beta, that was very good support took les than an houre to get responce from a helpful staff. never understood why microsoft gave up Vanguard."

The only reasons a publisher gives up on a title they have sunk a lot of money into it is the game was a money sink and there is no way they think it can return the investment or the developer violated terms of the agreement they made to obtain funding.

• redcappredcapp brook, NYPosts: 722Member
    More meaningless hype.  He really should just stop talking until they have something to back it all up.
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Halifax, NSPosts: 777Member Uncommon

After BioWare's SWTOR F2P model, Sony is actually looking pretty good.  A new EverQuest game is a must-try for me, anyway, unless of course it looks like it's turning out horrendously. But we'll just have to wait for some real info and gameplay footage.

It's true, however, that content in the current model of MMO is eaten up at a crazy rate. GW2 comes the closest to removing this problem by making a lot of the content repeatable with scaling rewards... but people really don't want to run the same stuff over and over and over.

The only time I go back to old stuff is if I want to grind a bit to gain a level or two before moving on to harder stuff, or if I have a friend leveling a new character. In the end, people still complain about a lack of content very quickly -- as in NEW content. Repeatable events don't seem to be a prolonged entertainment for a lot of people.

I'm curious as to what is planned for EQ2 to alleviate the content locust issue. But my hopes aren't gonna be raised too much at this point.

• goozmaniagoozmania chino, CAPosts: 145Member Uncommon

I don't see how players "eating up" the content quickly, while developers endlessly make more, is a bad thing... It certainly works, as all of the most popular games do it. People like to bitch about it on forums, yet these are the only games the bitchers are actually playing.

I must be crazy out of touch to think this sandbox idea is DOA... Player made quests are asinine... Player made dungeons are uncreative and completely unimmersive; they have these in EQ2 and they are the stupidest addition I've ever seen. If players are making the cities, quests, dungeons, equipment... wtf is the point of the game?

Like I said before, it just sounds like Farmville... I'm a powerful gnome wizard named Finkle Krinkton, able to slay werewolves and dragons; but first I have to maintain my garden, put up that new fence around my house, hire Lukus Winterfall, the wood elf druid to babysit my kids, while I go to my day job as an accountant for Qeynos Mutual.  THIS SOUNDS AWFUL! THIS IS NOT A GAME, THIS IS WORK!

• GolelornGolelorn Hiding From Social Media Peeping Toms, ALPosts: 1,099Member Uncommon

I've heard these promises from far better studios than SOE, and they failed to deliver, as well.

I'm not about to take Smed's word on not chasing WoW, since all SOEs games are catered to that gamestyle.

Originally posted by goozmania

I don't see how players "eating up" the content quickly, while developers endlessly make more, is a bad thing... It certainly works, as all of the most popular games do it. People like to bitch about it on forums, yet these are the only games the bitchers are actually playing.

I must be crazy out of touch to think this sandbox idea is DOA... Player made quests are asinine... Player made dungeons are uncreative and completely unimmersive; they have these in EQ2 and they are the stupidest addition I've ever seen. If players are making the cities, quests, dungeons, equipment... wtf is the point of the game?

Like I said before, it just sounds like Farmville... I'm a powerful gnome wizard named Finkle Krinkton, able to slay werewolves and dragons; but first I have to maintain my garden, put up that new fence around my house, hire Lukus Winterfall, the wood elf druid to babysit my kids, while I go to my day job as an accountant for Qeynos Mutual.  THIS SOUNDS AWFUL! THIS IS NOT A GAME, THIS IS WORK!

^^^ never played a sandbox

You entire statement is bogus and your opinion.

When you wrote the red part i just laughed. Thats what sandboxes are about lol. And ill bet you a million dollars ill have more fun every single day while you wait for more content ;)

Originally posted by Golelorn

I've heard these promises from far better studios than SOE, and they failed to deliver, as well.

I'm not about to take Smed's word on not chasing WoW, since all SOEs games are catered to that gamestyle.

Everquest, Everquest 2 werent cattered to WOW and long time running with steady playerbase.

SWG wasnt chasing WOW and lasted 8+ years.

None of these games were cattered or wow clones. All came out before WOW.

PS2 seems to be doing well and is far from a wow clone. PS1 also didnt chase WOW.

SOE has more than one sandbox in production one is in closed beta as i type this.

Vanguard is not a wow clone, though a rocky start and neglect, still a decent game with great features. Just certain things killed it off, but again not a wow clone.

So over half of SOE games are taken off the target board............

I do believe SOE learned its lesson. And many other dev teams are not following WOW any longer. Hence the 15+ sandboxes coming out within the next 1-3 years. Not everything is about wow, and things will change soon. Glad someone is atleast making an attempt.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Den HelderPosts: 9,065Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Allacore69

We need Star Wars Galaxies again!

Cant blame SOE for this... Lucas art fault i would say..

Seem that 13 years of experience might finally pay off..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• EhliyaEhliya Washington, DCPosts: 199Member

I would not blame Smedley.  Many of the problems with current MMO come from gamers themselves, to wit:

- people lack patience and desire to expend effort = games cater to easy and quick gratification

- player freedom hampered by population of griefer morons who destroy any space for freedom = theme parks

The MMO developers have been giving people what they want, which is a steady diet of twinkies and ho-ho's so they can keep their sugar levels high.  

The only reason it is changing now is human psychology.  Having stuffed themselves with candy for years without having to get off the couch, people are now realizing what an empty hollow experience that is.  There is a renewed craving for challenge.

We shall see how long it lasts.

• muffins89muffins89 Yakima, WAPosts: 1,306Member Uncommon
    it's nice he talks about change but,  ill believe it when i see it.  seems almost like a marketing ploy. 

I think the prostitute mod corrupted your game files man. -elhefen

• ice-vortexice-vortex Xenia, OHPosts: 951Member
    Originally posted by muffins89
    it's nice he talks about change but,  ill believe it when i see it.  seems almost like a marketing ploy. 

That serves what end? People are going to judge his product on what it offers regardless of what he says.

• muffins89muffins89 Yakima, WAPosts: 1,306Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    Originally posted by muffins89

That serves what end? People are going to judge his product on what it offers regardless of what he says.

wut?

I think the prostitute mod corrupted your game files man. -elhefen

• Recon48Recon48 QC, IAPosts: 221Member

I like what Smedley is saying, but I don't want to put too much stock in it until there's something on the table to back it up. SWG PreCU is proof enough that they know the recipe of mechanics, systems and gameplay that make a great sandbox, but I can't see a great sandbox living up to its full potential in a F2P model.  Maybe with a low sub fee and a shop with items similar to the cosmetic TCG stuff they could find a good middleground to capture both the F2P & P2P players. Personally, I'd be more than happy & willing to pay a sub for a polished game that has sustainable rather than consumable content.

• roxF7roxF7 baton rouge, LAPosts: 3Member
    Do not expect EQ:Next to be anything like the first one.  Just saying.
  • LarsaLarsa NurembergPosts: 990Member

I don't see how players "eating up" the content quickly, while developers endlessly make more, is a bad thing... It certainly works, as all of the most popular games do it. ...

The problem is not that the mainstream players don't like the approach - they like it. The problem is that it costs more money to develop the content than what the mainstream players are willing to pay for it. It's not viable financially.

Most (maybe all) big recent games are underperforming from a financial point-of-view: SWTOR, TSW and GW2 all earned less money than was expected by the business men. Sure, millions of mainstream players buy them - but those people dont stay long enough with a game before they hop to the next big thing.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• erictlewiserictlewis Cottondale, ALPosts: 3,026Member Uncommon

They already canned eq2next (eq3) two times now and they are working on the 3rd game build.  I will believe it when I see the game make it to beta. 

However smed does have a point about devs being stuck in the mindset of coping other games.  

• goozmaniagoozmania chino, CAPosts: 145Member Uncommon

^^^ never played a sandbox

You entire statement is bogus and your opinion.

When you wrote the red part i just laughed. Thats what sandboxes are about lol. And ill bet you a million dollars ill have more fun every single day while you wait for more content ;)

So... I don't know what I'm talking about, yet I'm exactly right... Got it!

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Pacific Northwest, WAPosts: 682Member
    Originally posted by superniceguy

MMOs are what SOE does, and now they no longer have SWG and its negative aura, SOE are starting to get their mojo back.

Ooo...that's gonna hurt when the SWG mourners get a hold of you. image

I agree with you, but it's still gonna hurt.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • GoldiusGoldius CoorparooPosts: 38Member
    Your comments are 2 years out of date Captain Obvious ( Smedley ) . Do you ever read what's going on in the world you call your profession?
  • sanshi44sanshi44 BrisbanePosts: 1,088Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by health001

3 things that are a must for eq 3

1 racial starting citys

2 omg large raids (make guilds compete)

3 the most important one ,TRAIN TO ZONE !

They seem to be going back to there roots with this one look like there taking alot of the core features from Everquest 1 and updating thema nd adding more features to it aswell, you will probaly see racial cities for each race, there will probaly be open world raid, there also a good chance of trains coming back (one of the things i acualy miss cause it can throw a spanner in the works of routine farming) there also rumors of hardcore servers and normal servers (hardcore may get corpse runs back)

• KendaneKendane Las Cruces, NMPosts: 225Member

Yeeesh some people are really freaking bitter. Don't get me wrong, you have ever right to be bitter with several of the MMOs being....meh 2 month lasting games generally and failed hopes on any given mmo.

Still though, I try to at least hold my judgement on the game being an utter failure until I at least see a screenshot or a video. More often I try to see if I can see beta videos or get in beta itself before I judge if the game is......short term rather then long term. So I hope Smed is right, and that they're really making an MMO that actually has an adventure feel to it like the first one did. I'm not going to hype myself into thinking this one will, though I'm not going to go LAWL THE GAMES A FAILURE! Before I've seen a single video of it.

Also, of course this game will never be like the original EverQuest for me. It was the first time playing a game like it(MMO) and so that feel is gone. Also there will be a ton of data out on the game, whereas with the first it was more niche....plus kinda hard to pull up a webpage AND play the game on a 56k modem lol. Still maybe they can, not going to count on it happening, but I'm also not going to disregard any possibility of it having something click.

• erikk3189erikk3189 New York City, NYPosts: 306Member

This clown Smedley has no credentials to give any type of advice to anyone. The idiot is totally clueless when it comes to MMO's.

In fact, under his leadership, what MMO has done well? None! If anything, SoE has a huge stable of games and they've all failed. As long as Smedley continues to work for SoE, they will never have any game worth playing.

Smedley is the gaming worlds biggest failure.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Talahasee, FLPosts: 2,556Member

I don't see how players "eating up" the content quickly, while developers endlessly make more, is a bad thing... It certainly works, as all of the most popular games do it.

Uhhh, it doesn't work actually. That's why all the AAA MMOs of the last 8 years have crashed and burned.

• erikk3189erikk3189 New York City, NYPosts: 306Member
    Originally posted by Caldrin
    Well after how well they have handled PS2 I am now looking forward to EQ:next quite a bit.. they have restored my faith in SOE.

They you don't know much about the gaming world. Only those who are new or don't really know anything about MMO's would say something as weird as this.