Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Be Careful ... this could ruin your whole experience

RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

When a player purchases the Elite or Deluxe package, they recieve some important items that help get your character started. 

If you decide you don't like the school you pick and delete to make another toon - TOUGH LUCK.  You'll never recieve those perks again. Yup, they will only send them to the first character you make.

Their solution: Make other free accounts and practice on them to see what school you like.

I'm very lucky that I had the chance to see what school I like before this but several players had no idea that they could never get their perk items back and Snail Games isn't budging on this one.

My take: In my opinion this is a terrible policy.  There is no harm in re-sending the items since you can only have one character per account anyway.

I love the game, but greedy policies that take advantage of new players are wrong.  New players like to experiement and try out the game, and this punishes them for trying to find their place in the world.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

Comments

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359

yeah one major reason holding me back from this game is you have to delete your char to join another school. To me, it like having only 1 class to play in a MMO.

and you lose all yr stuff too.

• BlackcatZeroBlackcatZero Member UncommonPosts: 58
    isn't there a way to do other classes in Age of Wushu. join one School then level up and then try another and so on so all you need is to find a way to leave the School and not delete the toon. but not to sure on this since I Haven't paid to try out the beta. so I got only 10 hours to play it in.
  • st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768
    i like the idea of one charicter one class.. i just wish they would allow you to "Practice" the different schools to see which one you want before thy give you your one time bonus items
  • karkwakarkwa Member UncommonPosts: 5
    there will be more than one character slot when game lauches
  • theocculttheoccult Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Originally posted by karkwa
    there will be more than one character slot when game lauches

Sorry, but that is incorrect.  Please read the official announcement posted on their forums yesterday.

http://www.ageofwushu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2101

Below is the official post in its entirety:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Greetings,

There has been some confusion regarding the consequences for deleting a character that we want to clear up. Let me start by saying that Age of Wushu is an unconventional MMO in many ways. The focus isn't on leveling as quickly as possible to reach an endgame, but instead participating in a persistent and living world. There are many features that encourage this, from characters remaining in game while offline to the emphasis on a player-driven economy. Age of Wushu encourages a connection with a single character, and the journey from newcomer to master.

Simply put, the game was not made to support "alts." Each account is only allowed a single character for this reason. The choices you make are intended to have consequences.

Elite and Deluxe Edition Rewards will not be sent to characters created after a character is deleted and a new one is created.

It's important to be absolutely sure before making any lasting decisions. If you need help or information on which school you should join, there are many resources available, including our very own Schools forum as well as the School Spotlights posted on our official site.

Additionally, you are free to use other Snail Accounts to create free trials and use the allotted 10 hours to evaluate a school before choosing on your main account.

We understand that this is a new way of looking at character management and we appreciate your flexibility and open-mindedness as we work to offer new experiences in the MMO design space.

Community Moderator | Snail Games

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321

for me that sounds great

why should every game go the same way? 

but i understand they should at least give the perks you bought to every character you create and not just the first. but is that such a big problem?! 

• AresPLAresPL Member UncommonPosts: 292
    in 2014 there will be option to quit clan, and join other or leave as vagabond 
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

The issue is that there is no warning in the game letting the player know they will lose their perks. Then they are rejected when submitting a ticket. Forum posts aren't sufficient warnings to new players who will continue to lose perks without warning. Its a terrible policy that needs changed.

Edit: If it's a technical problem whereby their system doesn't enable this, or if deleting and remaking characters can be used as an exploit get get unintended benefits (i.e., extra gold etc) then this needs to be explained by Snail Games.  But, according to the quoted forum post above, they are simply doing it because the game isn't designed to have alts so they just chose not to re-send perk items.  At this time, they act as though it's a design choice.  In which case this is a terrible and very customer unfriendly choice.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    well that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. wth is with the only one char per account thing?

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

Originally posted by bingbongbros
    well that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. wth is with the only one char per account thing?

Well, that's not the problem.  One character per account is clearly communicated so people can judge the game before investing in this regard.  This thread is about an issue players aren't sufficiently warned about and that is losing out on perk items if they reroll their chracter.

Originally posted by BlackcatZero
    isn't there a way to do other classes in Age of Wushu. join one School then level up and then try another and so on so all you need is to find a way to leave the School and not delete the toon. but not to sure on this since I Haven't paid to try out the beta. so I got only 10 hours to play it in.

Not exactly.  You can steal skill books from other schools.

Again, one character per account is fine.  It's a design choice and there are clearly communicated reasons for this, and people can judge the game accordingly before investing.  However, again, the problem is what's not clearly communicated - namely, losing out on items paid for by players who are still learning the game.  A player realizes they made a mistake in character creation - tough luck - they will never get their perk items back if they delete and reroll - even after a few minutes.  The issue is THIS policy, not the one character per account policy.

Originally posted by bingbongbros

when You go offline Your character becomes NPC, if everyone would make more, server wouldnt take it simple like that

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

I love the game, but greedy policies that take advantage of new players are wrong.  New players like to experiement and try out the game, and this punishes them for trying to find their place in the world.

You know, and maybe its because I am playing while the christmas event is going on as well, I never really thought the delux items were THAT good. A horse (I already have two of those from playing the game and from christmas boxes) and a few items here and there. The free gold is nice but other than that the main benifits, to me, are the perks you do keep (unlimited time, offline cultivation).

• RudedawgCDNRudedawgCDN Member UncommonPosts: 507
    Originally posted by GrayKodiak
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

You know, and maybe its because I am playing while the christmas event is going on as well, I never really thought the delux items were THAT good. A horse (I already have two of those from playing the game and from christmas boxes) and a few items here and there. The free gold is nice but other than that the main benifits, to me, are the perks you do keep (unlimited time, offline cultivation).

I agree the perks are nothing to get really too excited about, but...

It's just another example of a gaming company who doesn't have it's customers interests in mind when they make stupid decisions like this.

If you create a character, decide 4 days from now you picked the wrong school, and you delete your character you:

-have to wait 48 hours to get your name back

-lose all of your ingame item bonuses

It's just not well thought out.

• fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286
    Meaningful decisions and player accountability, nice!!   I shall buy this game
  • SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202

I don't think they should have altered the elite package after many have already purchased one. That's shitty.

I do like the one player per account and their reasoning for limiting it to one. I also like that you can only advance skills to a certain point each day.I like my hunting skill (and probably all..I know fishing is limited per day too) only goes up about 50 pts a day...or something. It forces me to go on to other things instead of grinding up one skill all day.lol.

If this were a true monthly sub...i'd be pissed that my skills were limited per day. Since its f2p I could care less and it probably helps limit people power-skilling to max .

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by parrotpholk
    They are making some serious customer service mistakes out of the gate.  They should make the rewards account wide and not character specific.  I have a feeling the backlash will cause them to rethink this stance.  They already altered their elite package rewards due to backlash.  So far I love this game though and barring some real boneheaded moves I will be playing it for a long time to come.

If there was some way to transfer rewards or to show proof. A 3 time thing or something. I agree the lose benifits is harsh maybe even over the top.. I like the idea of one char per account though. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    its very well thought, 48h so if some one get Your account info and will try delete it You got time to get it back, in chinese version happen a lot
  • mastersam21mastersam21 Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Originally posted by fat_taddler

I 2nd this. Finally a company with some balls no more hand holding.

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    I thought you could switch schools later on in the game by stealing scrolls and whatnot
    Originally posted by mastersam21
    Originally posted by fat_taddler

I 2nd this. Finally a company with some balls no more hand holding.

I love the fact that the game has accountability for one's choices.  The fact that they use this as an excuse to rob players of items they paid for is something else.  How do you hold a player accountable to something that was never communicated?  These players that lost their items were never warned until after the fact and then STILL were refused refunds. 

Talk about accountability - several mistakes have been made on their end including: players not recieving VIP status or items, players having their real email accounts show up on forums instead of forum names and then finally removing a promised item from the Elite package (permanent horse) after we already bought it.  If they want to hold players accountable and punish them for not getting it right the first time, why shouldn't Snail Games be held accountable as well. 

Originally posted by hockeyplayr
    I thought you could switch schools later on in the game by stealing scrolls and whatnot

This is not correct.  You can steal some skill books from other schools, but your school choice (made within the first 10 mintues or so) is permanent.

This is exactly why punishing players from rerolling is wrong.  How can someone know what's right for them in such a complex game?  

Snail Games suggest you make several accounts to make characters to try out the different schools.  Then what?  When you find the one you like, you have to then reroll on your  main account to get the Elite or Deluxe perks.  This is a terrible method and reeks or either greed or laziness or both on Snail Games's part.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    There is a difference between playing a character and being your character. In Age Of Wushu you are the character that you play. To everybody thats complaning all I can say is welcome to a real mmo.image
    Originally posted by Mannish
    There is a difference between playing a character and being your character. In Age Of Wushu you are the character that you play. To everybody thats complaning all I can say is welcome to a real mmo.image

You miss what I was complaining about. One character per account? No problem.  A customer deletes and rerolls after the first 10 minutes to try something else AND isn't warned that they lose the items they paid for? This is a problem.  Heck, even if there would have been a pop-up box or something saying, "HEY DUMMY, YOU'RE GONNA LOSE YOUR STUFF!" would have been better than saying nothing at all, or just one forum post.  Nothing in game warns players.  That's the issue.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Originally posted by Mannish

You might have a point if there was a way to "really" only have 1 character but the fact is you can make as many accounts as email accounts you have so really not a hinderance.And considering how some people are willing to pay for more than 1 account in DAoC so they can have their alt buff their main well I guess its a good money decision for the company that wants to wring as much $$$ out of its players it can.

The problem is they are retracting on offers they made to get people to pre-order it such as the permanent mount,so they can have more opportunity to get more $$$ from you paying for a temporary cash shop mount which really shouldnt even be a consideration if the player is paying the "subscription" fee to play the game-they should have access to a permanent mount not have to rent one on top of said sub fee.

Other items never even made an appearance like a "bag with 50 unigue in-game items usable on day 1" that was supposed to come with the elite purchase.

They need to make it so you can leave a school you dont like and lose all the skills you gained from said school but still retain all the life skills and neutral martial arts skills you learned and earned and 1 character would be no problem.As it is you lose all the time you spent on anything in the game- school wise and skill wise like farming,mining etc plus have to lose 2 days of vip time waiting for 48 hour delete to start over.