Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Themepark MMOs need to remove the leveling process

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

As I've said in another thread...the leveling process and "endgame" of a themepark are pretty much two totally different games. Everyone in WoW says the game starts at "endgame"

So, if an MMO starts at endgame. Why not just remove the leveling process entirely? Companies would keep their playerbase a lot longer, people don't have to grind for weeks/months to get to the "start" of the game. And for a themepark MMO that mainly/only focuses on endgame...why not just have everyone start there?

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• BrixonBrixon Member UncommonPosts: 259

LOL, what cut out about 2 weeks of game time? Most MMO's are on easy mode now, and you want to make it even easier. Gee why not just make everyone max level with uber gear and be done with it.

The genre is dying because it's all too easy anymore, please don't make it worse.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

As I've said in another thread...the leveling process and "endgame" of a themepark are pretty much two totally different games. Everyone in WoW says the game starts at "endgame"

So, if an MMO starts at endgame. Why not just remove the leveling process entirely? Companies would keep their playerbase a lot longer, people don't have to grind for weeks/months to get to the "start" of the game. And for a themepark MMO that mainly/only focuses on endgame...why not just have everyone start there?

Themepark's have already removed the leveling process. The new term is "extended tutorial." Takes about a week to do. 

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Originally posted by Brixon

LOL, what cut out about 2 weeks of game time? Most MMO's are on easy mode now, and you want to make it even easier. Gee why not just make everyone max level with uber gear and be done with it.

The genre is dying because it's all too easy anymore, please don't make it worse.

Depending on the MMO, it goes from 2 weeks to a couple months depending on the person.

There is not really any reason to not start at end game...especially when themeparks "start" at end game. 

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

The Secret World has no levels. However, zones are gated depending on your gear and what skills you've unlocked.

GW2, while it does have levels, downlevels you to fit the zone you are in so in essence everything is endgame (hint - there is no actual end game).

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Originally posted by MyTabbycat

The Secret World has no levels. However, zones are gated depending on your gear and what skills you've unlocked.

GW2, while it does have levels, downlevels you to fit the zone you are in so in essence everything is endgame (hint - there is no actual end game).

Yeah, I was going to bring up GW2 as the exception to themeparks. But then, I forgot to actually do that.

However, I see GW2 has from level 1 to whatever max is, as the endgame. So in a way, they removed the leveling process of the typical MMO...or they removed endgame? both? well, either way...

In GW2, I can pvp at level 1 (at least world vs world), do dynamic events at any level...go to any zone that I'm strong enough for. So outside of dungeons and higher level zones, there isn't really any content barred by level. I can go back and do whatever. 

• BrixonBrixon Member UncommonPosts: 259
    Originally posted by Brixon

Depending on the MMO, it goes from 2 weeks to a couple months depending on the person.

There is not really any reason to not start at end game...especially when themeparks "start" at end game. 

Well I don't know about this "game starts at the endgame" idea, since most people seem to feel that most themeparks don't have an endgame anymore.

• AzaqinAzaqin Member UncommonPosts: 67
    I wouldn't agree that "everyone" thinks TPs start at endgame. I know a lot of people who actually LIKE levelling. I would agree that most people who favor PvP would say the game starts at endgame, but not everyone is into PvP.
  • Recon48Recon48 Member UncommonPosts: 218

1. Install game

2. Create account

3. Complete character creation

4. Log in

5. Find mailbox/bank

6. Pick up & equip best gear in game

7. Watch final battle CG cut-scene highlighting your triumph

8. ???

9. Profit

10. Unsub & play forums/Facebook/4chan while waiting for next expansion

• TraugarTraugar Member UncommonPosts: 183
    I am going to have to disagree OP.  The leveling process in a themepark is where you make a few friends, and learn to play your character.  It is already a really short process so no need really.  
  • ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    Originally posted by toddze

Themepark's have already removed the leveling process. The new term is "extended tutorial." Takes about a week to do. 

I just leveled from 1-90 as a fresh character in WoW. You're talking out of your arse.

Leveling from 1-90 in WoW, the ultimate casual themepark, as a fresh character takes a little over a month if you play for an hour or so a night. That's without leveling any professions or doing anything besides leveling. You bittervets just have no grasp on reality anymore.

If a game doesn't take six months to a year to hit level cap it's a casual themepark. What? It only took you a month to cap?! You aren't a real gamer unless you've played a game where it takes you a year to hit cap and you lose XP when you die! You got an epic while leveling? Pffffft, back in my day it took me 200 hours played to see a piece of good gear at level cap! Also, when you screwed up in-game, a giant fist came out of the monitor and punched you in the dick! Those were the good ol' days.

Those days are long gone. You will never again see a modern AAA MMO like that. Personally, as a working adult with a family, I feel like a month to hit cap is more than enough. I like to see that I'm making progress when I log in to play. Gaining a few levels in an hour is a lot more satisfying than gaining 1/10th of a level in the same amount of time. These big budget games aren't going to cater to the hardcore when it comes to initial progression (leveling.) If you want to go back to the stone ages in terms of MMO leveling, you're going to be stuck playing lower budget indie games.

• rygar218rygar218 Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Originally posted by Recon48

1. Install game

2. Create account

3. Complete character creation

4. Log in

5. Find mailbox/bank

6. Pick up & equip best gear in game

7. Watch final battle CG cut-scene highlighting your triumph

8. ???

9. Profit

10. Unsub & play forums/Facebook/4chan while waiting for next expansion

Don't even have to that anymore..

You can do it like this using your order but in your own way,

1. Wait till new MMO game comes out.

2. Wait till speed levelers get to end game in 1 week or less.

3. Go to online website to see stats of desent looking gear.

4. Go to Youtube to watch end boss fights or cgi.

5. Save yourself a lot  of time and money and don't bother subbing or buying the game

6. Thank yourself for not getting another MMO that will only last 2 weeks.

(7) edit Pray to MMO Gods that they will make a decent MMO

8. Repeat