Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Wurm Online: Review in Progress #1

2»

Comments

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by znaiika
    Originally posted by Yamota

Sounds great, looks awful...

It's a shame we cant have a game like this but with GFX like TERA.

And combat like TES Skyrim.

I actually don't like Skyrims combat, felt too simplistic. But it would probably be better with hotbars instead of the controller/xbox rehash for PC we got. It was really clunky.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by TruthXHurts
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by AvsRock21
    It's nice that masochists have something to play. You deserve your own games too!

So are you some kind of carebear that can't take a challenge? Sounds like you only play easy PvE games. Do you even understand what a masochist is??

Yes I do know what it means. It actually has several usages and when it's not being used in the psychiatric sense in relation to sexual perversion, it mrans something like this:

"gratification gained from pain, deprivation, degradation, etc., inflicted or imposed on oneself, either as a result of one's own actions or the actions of others, especially the tendency to seek this form of gratification"

And fyi, boring repetitive garbage doesn't make a game "hardcore" it just makes it boring and repetitive...and yeah, garbage.

We know you kids today think everything is "too hard" it's your parents fault and modern technology. I grew up in a time where we appreciated a challenge. Those days are gone. Challenge, skill, and determination are dirty words to your generation.

Stereotypical garbage.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by TruthXHurts
    Originally posted by AvsRock21
    It's nice that masochists have something to play. You deserve your own games too!

So are you some kind of carebear that can't take a challenge? Sounds like you only play easy PvE games. Do you even understand what a masochist is??

Yes I do know what it means. It actually has several usages and when it's not being used in the psychiatric sense in relation to sexual perversion, it mrans something like this:

"gratification gained from pain, deprivation, degradation, etc., inflicted or imposed on oneself, either as a result of one's own actions or the actions of others, especially the tendency to seek this form of gratification"

And fyi, boring repetitive garbage doesn't make a game "hardcore" it just makes it boring and repetitive...and yeah, garbage.

We know you kids today think everything is "too hard" it's your parents fault and modern technology. I grew up in a time where we appreciated a challenge. Those days are gone. Challenge, skill, and determination are dirty words to your generation.

Just because the designers made a game hard, does not mean they made it challenging.  Play the game for awhile, there is just a lot of repetitive things you have to keep doing without a good reason.   You almost can't call it a sandbox because there really is not an economy, at least was not in when I played.  You have to have in game money to have an economy.

Secondly it also is not f2p, it is like Wizard 101, you have to pay to play beyond a certain point, so it is basically a subscription game with a free trial.  I just did not find it worth paying for a game that has still a long way to go before it is a true MMO.  Right now there are still large pieces and parts missing from the game.

Thirdly, they wrote the game in Java, which from a programer's point of view is just not a good language to write a sophisticated game in.

• CamthylionCamthylion Member UncommonPosts: 220
    I played games that looked like this, but that was 13 years ago.
  • chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

I just tried this game and even payed a month (wanted to start off right) should have waited :P,.

the graphics on extreme are passable and the game itself has allot to offer, however...

It's EVE online all over, the tutorial tells you how to play the game, try too look up info on "how to make a unique avatar" heck they even boast it in this article, after 2 hours of searching I gave up on that. So past that part , the interface, it's simple description. take any old MMO with /commands, add buttons with "name of command".basicly, a million choices, in options, settings, and game. No streamlining at all and it looks like its been that way sense the game launched.

Sorry, I gave this a try, but sadly this isn't what this article boast and to be honest, I won't be taking much suggestions from future articles on these unknown or low end mmo's that are reviewed or interviewed or whatever on MMORPG.com, sorry guys long time fan but latly, everything is peaches and cream and this game is nothing but sour grape experiance.

The tutorial in this game was good don't take me wrong, pretty much followed the wiki read, but it had bugs right off the bat. left of objects from other players that would abuse areas of the tutorial, things where location trigger so if you moved to far quickly you would end up with mutliple screens to read overlapping themselves. The default settings for this game are just awful, I took 30 min refining everything just to make it play like an MMO , the list goes on. to many issues to come back to the game.

It has it's moments, but its been out this long and to be honest, it feels like a beta game. The only way I can even see this game being fun at the start would be I guess as with EVE if someone set you up with an account that was running for a month,all the headacks would be out of the way and you could actually start enjoying the game you paid for.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• VetarniasVetarnias Member UncommonPosts: 630
    Originally posted by chaintm

Sorry, I gave this a try, but sadly this isn't what this article boast and to be honest, I won't be taking much suggestions from future articles on these unknown or low end mmo's that are reviewed or interviewed or whatever on MMORPG.com, sorry guys long time fan but latly, everything is peaches and cream and this game is nothing but sour grape experiance.

[mod edit]

As for the contents of this review, I was expecting better from someone who posted an "official" review nearly a year ago and evidently had some prior knowledge of the game.  There's not a word about the RMT system that permeates the game: the game's currency cannot, by and large, be obtained through the game environment, and must either be bought from the shop or obtained from other players.  Nothing more fun than to be exploited by other players for the most mind-numbing tasks, let me tell you.  Also not a word about the decay that forces you to repair and maintain whatever you build, which turns the game into a chore very rapidly. 

Wow, yeah i didn't know about decay, yeah that would have become a shocker to me. dam

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

update:

In all fairness (to new people that look at this), there are issues, but being adressed as we speak, my hat goes off to the community at large jumping in and dealing with the issues I noticed. As of now, all releated issues I had have been updated and put into the wiki explaining things like "how to change your avatar look" too "how to use the settings".. well done to Mirabelle , whom is the insperation for doing this.

In this, the overall issues I have , have been fixed,. now don't take me wrong, deep learning curve still and finding a spot or not having the usual response "join a current village" is still prevelent, but i will update and give my 2cents on the actual game play when I have played longer.

Let's just say, the introduction to this game was that of EVE online prior to the devs taking probably a year total of development in that game to get their introduction to the game down.

An example before I go is just like the avatars boasted in this article, you use a mirror in your inventory to "change your look"... so basicly you start the game looking like an old hurmet like everyone else then use this mirror to change your look. It's a one time shot, but at least "now I know", however look for that information anywhere and it was no were, but as mentioned thnx to Mirabelle it now is. There big issue is again just the starting game it seems atm. Once you tweek the settings, the game looks like the screenshots shown here, till you do thou, the graphics look pre-EQ.

• EyesgoodEyesgood Member UncommonPosts: 49

I am approaching 4 years in Wurm, so those who want the truth about the game, here it is:

Wurm is the most immersive MMO to date.  By immersive, I mean that Wurm makes you feel like you are really in a deep, living world.  You can customize your characters face, eyes, nose, hair, color, etc. to give your character uniqueness.  You can dig the dirt and shape the land.  You can hunt animals, butcher meat, cook, and eat it.  You can make your own visible clothing, armor, weapons, and shields.  You can tame animals, breed them, work their bloodlines to upbreed traits.  You can forage and botanize for herbs and vegetables.  You can plant crops, tend them, watch them grow, and harvest them.  You can plant trees, then chop down trees, make logs, make planks and shafts, and construct fencing for your pastures.  You can mine into the mountains for rocks, iron, copper, zinc, lead, silver, gold, and many other ores.  You can gather materials  and build ships of various sizes.  You can then sail those ships to many islands (servers).   You can layout the design of your own house and construct the floors, walls, ceilings, and continue many stories up, utilizing many different materials.  You can deed land to build that house on.  You can join up with others to make a village and share the upkeep costs.  If you want added danger, you can go full-loot pvp on the Epic servers.   You can choose your own skills to develop from a pool of over 100.  You can craft items and then sell those items on your own NPC's that sell for you. Also, the game has religions which provide priests with abilities to enchant tools, weapons, armor, and perform unique abilities.  There is a mailbox system for mailing items between players.  There is an extensive chat system.  Houses and boats have permission-based entry.  But theives in the PVP Epic cluster can learn lockpicking.  

This is just the tip of the iceberg.  The graphics in Wurm are not bad.  In fact, the environment of Wurm is one of the best of any MMO.   Animations are not the best, but they are certainly acceptable.  No, the game is not perfect, but no game is.  Yes, there are areas for improvement, but the game is extremely satisfying.  The game just went 1.0 and the player base has just topped 5000 registered players.  It's a great MMO that will immerse you in a world that you will truly feel a part of.   Jump in the game, go through the tutorial, and enter the map of your choice and give Wurm a try.  If you love having total control over your character and your destiny in a completely sandbox world, you won't find any better than Wurm Online.

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

Originally posted by Eyesgood

...  If you love having total control over your character and your destiny in a completely sandbox world, you won't find any better than Wurm Online.

I agree with everything Eyesgood said, but take this quoted part of his post both as a promise and as a warning. Wurm not only allows you total control over your character - Wurm demands it.

By now I think I've seen hundreds of new players leave the game after a few days because the players aren't fit for it. Many people just don't know what to do when nobody tells them what to do ...

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• EyesgoodEyesgood Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Larsa, you are absolutely correct.  Wurm demands attention to detail, time, and dedication.  It is NOT a casual game.  It is NOT an overnight thrill.  It is NOT a pay to win.  It is a world survival simulator.  The wiki is not thorough nor is it 100% accurate.  What is there came from player observations and I might add, extensive analysis.  Wurm is about discovery.  Rolf has intentionally kept back some of the statistical and calculable data from the community because he believes in the players discovering the world for themselves.  That is not to say a player will be totally lost.  The community is very helpful and the /help channel in the game is almost always staffed by one or more community volunteers whose job it is to help answer questions.  Therfore, to those who want help, they will find it - and to those who dont want help, they are left to discover.
  • nightscarnightscar Member Posts: 31

I agree with the above 3 posters..

I found Wo a few months ago, and although I have had those teeth grinding xp once and a while, For some reason I cannot put my finger on.. I just love wurm..

its the mmo I have been searching for that holds my attention since wow.. yes I said wow :P

A quick little story for you:

About 2 weeks ago, I was off hunting for food and lost my way from my village.. as it has been stated wurm does not have a map.. only a compass to help guide you around.

Well suffice to say I died.. took me a few hrs but I did find my body with most of my loot on it.. I died again..and again.. lol

Fearing I may have no hair left or teeth. I went to the main town greendog on my island.

Where I came in contact with one of the many citazens of wurm.. I told them my sad tale, and to my surprise.. he offered to lend me a hand, well somewhere in the huge landscape that is wurm we got separated and I got lost .. lol again

However I did find my body .. and loot, and was chased by a spider, bear, wolf and some other creepy crawlers..

Near death and bleeding, I shouted out for help, grasping at any hope I could that I would stay alive, I had wandered very far and hell if I knew how to get back lol

Luckily a young chap, was working on his soon to be open Hotel and heard my cries for help, running out with sheild and sword in hand, he killed the spiders and creeps following me trying to have me as dinner, I slowly crawled my way into the hotel and sat by the fire while the owner tended to my wonds..

I asked him how far I was away from my settlement, which by using the player made out of game map, I was quit far off course.

Other's that where helping or staying at the hotel offered to guide me back to where I needed to be.

So we all headed out into the night, through deep woods, and a long arse cave system made by the players who where guideing me, I finally got back home..

It was.. nothing short of an adventure.. it was a pain in the arse.. and I swear I almost had a heart attack 3 times..

and it was probably the most fun I have ever had in any game.. ever..

I will be honest.. I was ready to throw in the towl.. take a break..

But after meeting new friends, and having that adventure, and seeing how exceptional the in-game community is..

They could of just left me for dead.. took my stuff..

but they didnt.

and because of that wurm has earned a yearly sub from me, I have a town I am currently in the process of building, to where I may one day help those in need like I once was.

Wurm is only what you make of it, like anything else, the more friends you make the more pleople you have to talk and laugh with the better the exspireance will be :)

• DevvilDevvil Member Posts: 1
    As the Proud Owner and Mayor of the once Great Peoples Republic of Xsyon I will say this about Wurm...there is no other game in the world like Wurm..A deep game that take a special devoted player t play. I hung in for two years and just didnt have time. I am ambitious and as such kept expanding and building to the point where the City I was building took too much time to maintain. Sadly due to time constraints I had to retire..but I will say this...its worth a try and I do miss it. It still calls to me...I can hear it calling to come back. Just dont have the time.
  • HodoHodo Member Posts: 542
    Originally posted by leaf16nut
    Originally posted by Larsa
    Originally posted by Czanrei

Wurm Online in its current form is nothing but a pay-to-win MUD without any character customization and the worst animation system of any game in gaming history.

There's your review, now the OP can move onto a better mmo worth spending time writing about. 

The highlighted part only shows that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Did they finally add a currency system which you didn't have to pay real money to get silver? When I played, upkeep cost an arm and a leg, and unless you bought silver with real money, there was virtually no way to get i;. And there was no real in game economy because of it.

Not to mention your skills are locked at 20 unless you pay per money, leaving you useless and defenceless. If that isn't pay to win, I don't know what is.

I don't mind shelling out cash, I bought silver, but theres no sense defending the game when it clearly favours those who are willing to spend real money, and that's the definition of "pay to win"

Honestly the best way to make money in Wurm is to exploit the game like many of the old vets do.   And that is the problem.  

You CAN buy silver and such, but the best way to maintain upkeep is to get your fighting skills up high enough and stay in the "safe zones" and build up your crafting and make HIGH QL weapons and armor then get a stupid sail boat and go around with two or three friends and just raid on the PvP servers.   Hit noobs tokens and drain them, constantly.    Or you can get a merchant and lock it in a area that only you can get to.    Then drain it once every so often.    You can make several silver off of one of those.  

Wurm is a good game but the economy is a joke at best.    I know I wont pay monthly AND buy money in a game.  

So much crap, so little quality.

Originally posted by leaf16nut

Not to mention your skills are locked at 20 unless you pay per money, leaving you useless and defenceless. If that isn't pay to win, I don't know what is. ...

Then every single subscription MMORPG on the whole planet is pay-to-win to you. Even every game that has a box price is pay-to-win to you. You have to pay before you can play!

Shock! Horror! A game that costs money! Pay to Win!

Do you expect free lunch every day as well?

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• BuddyDudeBuddyDude Member UncommonPosts: 52
    this is a well written article and a fun read, Thanks for the overview.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     I really like the ideas behind Wurm and have tried 3 times to play it , and each time , i cant even figure out how to flatten land to get started . itt seems such a pita...cant figure what i am doing wrong ... ahh well
    Originally posted by Scorchien
     I really like the ideas behind Wurm and have tried 3 times to play it , and each time , i cant even figure out how to flatten land to get started . itt seems such a pita...cant figure what i am doing wrong ... ahh well

Here's the Wurm digging guide: http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Digging

:)