Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gold Wars 2 - Portrait of a campaign.

RedJorgeRedJorge Member Posts: 106

A picture is worth a thousand words...(Graph credits to http://www.gw2spidy.com/gem)

Leonard: Penny, you are on fire.
Penny: Yes, so is Sheldon.
[laughs]
Sheldon: Okay, that's it. I don't know how, but she is cheating. No-one can be that attractive and this skilled at a video game.
[walks away]
Penny: Wait, wait. Sheldon. Come back, you forgot something.
Sheldon: What?
Penny: This plasma grenade.
[explosion]
Penny: [laughs] Look! It's raining you.
Sheldon: You laugh now. You just wait until you need tech support. (Big Bang Theory)

Comments

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

This isn't a picture, It is a chart with a bunch of text.

Ninja loot drop nerf thing didn't seem to do anything to stop me from lvling and gearing a couple characters to 80.

Back when 100 gems were 30-35 silver was nice though. Bought a bunch of bank space back then :)

• loki27loki27 Member Posts: 24

I have no idea what's with all that "huge ninja loot drop nerf"; I or my guildmates haven't noticed any loot nerf except for dyes lately (which of course doesn't mean it didn't happen but it looks like it's just people getting more desperate for a legendary that is still as far away as it was two months ago).

This being said, however, yes, it is now nearly impossible for a non-hardcore player to buy anything from the gem store for coin. I remember getting a bank expansion soon after release for some 1.5 gold, now it would cost around 12...

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    Did you expect them to make money from only box sales?
  • RedJorgeRedJorge Member Posts: 106
    Originally posted by Swanea

No.

I just expect ArenaNet to be honest about the ninja loot drop nerf but they keep lying to their player base as can be seen in the GW2 official forums.

[laughs]
    Sheldon: Okay, that's it. I don't know how, but she is cheating. No-one can be that attractive and this skilled at a video game.
    [walks away]
    [explosion]
    Sheldon: You laugh now. You just wait until you need tech support. (Big Bang Theory)

• XsonicXsonic Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Shady business. Me no likey.
  • PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by RedJorge

No.

I just expect ArenaNet to be honest about the ninja loot drop nerf but they keep lying to their player base as can be seen in the GW2 official forums.

I remember in that halloween maze there were those two bosses that once defeated dropped a chest, first few times after the event started it dropped good loot, exotics, etc, then Anet realized people were making money and they nerfed it into the ground without telling anyone and didn't respond on the forums.

I also like the diminishing returns on events, dungeons... just about everything. Also love the repair costs/siege prices in WvW, WvW costs you tons of money to actively play.

GW2 is just a cash cow, they went with the B2P model and as a result they need to find ways to encourage people to spend irl money and limiting ways to make gold is a very efficient one.

Originally posted by Pivotelite

No.

I remember in that halloween maze there were those two bosses that once defeated dropped a chest, first few times after the event started it dropped good loot, exotics, etc, then Anet realized people were making money and they nerfed it into the ground without telling anyone and didn't respond on the forums.

I also like the diminishing returns on events, dungeons... just about everything. Also love the repair costs/siege prices in WvW, WvW costs you tons of money to actively play.

GW2 is just a cash cow, they went with the B2P model and as a result they need to find ways to encourage people to spend irl money and limiting ways to make gold is a very efficient one.

Pivotelite,

Fully agree with you.

Actually, because the game has no guild features worth the name but it is a very efficient cash cow, I propose to change its name from Guild Wars 2 to Gold Wars 2.

[laughs]
    [walks away]
    [explosion]

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

No.

theres no ninja loot drop nerf

you got unlucky streak thats all

or you hit DR becouse of non stop farming in same spot

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I don't think that term means what you think it means. However, I do not want to discourage any of the tinfoil hattery here, so please carry on. image

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• SoraksisSoraksis Member UncommonPosts: 294

People will find some of the dumbest things to complain about.  OMG a company had to find a way to make money so people can play a AAA game with out subs and still have access to full content.  Those greedy bastards how dare they make a profit. 

halloween maze chest were bugged and ppl exploited it

you could just kill these bosses on one server logout, login and you land on an overflow server where you kill them again and loot the chests

this was bug that was fast fixed and there was no drop nerf you still got the same chance to get exotic just couldnt exploit it

as for the WvW costs seems you are just a bad player or entered with low lvl, you can make enough money and free siege eq

but in the end if you didnt get 1 rare in an hour then it must be ninja drop loot nerf

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Looks to me like it's starting a downward trend.   This is good news, thanks OP for sharing this graph :D

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

Originally posted by Roxtarr
    Looks to me like it's starting a downward trend.   This is good news, thanks OP for sharing this graph :D

We will see what happens..:)

One thing I am sure, ArenaNet will never assume the ninja loot drop nerf.

[laughs]
    [walks away]
    [explosion]

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

I'm not enterely sure what is the point of this thread.

If everyone is buying gems to trade for gold the VALUE OF GEMS SHOULD DECREASE.

What this tells me is PEOPLE HAVE MORE MONEY NOW.

GEMS are worth more gold now -> this mean there is more gold, not less.

To the pink arrow to be supported you need GEMS to lower in terms of gold.

So THE PINK ARROW ISN'T SUPPORTED BY THE DATA!

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

I'm not interely sure what is the point of this thread.

i was wondering about that either, kind'a odd if people buys so many Gems with RM why in the hell gems are so expensive in gold from game?

and about that nerf , still theres ways to get gold, take more time and we must give more effort to get it, but if we still farm nods and some diferent instances by day we can still get our pocket full of in game gold.

I know people with more than 2000 gold and didnt spend RM in a single gem.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

I'm not enterely sure what is the point of this thread.

GEMS are worth more gold now -> this mean there is more gold, not less.

To the pink arrow to be supported you need GEMS to lower in terms of gold.

The point of this thread is the OP can't get over the fact ANET won't admit do to something they probably didn't do.

Peoples imaginations really seem to run wild these days when observing statistical data..

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Is the sky STILL falling? 
  • QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    The more money people have in game the more gems they could buy. I seriously doubt the supply of gems increases over time. So the price of gems increasing is a logical thing. But i GUESS op has problems with logical thinking and is one of those sheep posters which repeat after everyone else the same thing. Go on and have a fun time with tin foil hat.
  • romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Is the sky STILL falling? 

Well Skyfall was still showing when I went to my local theater last night.

TIME is the only hard currency in MMO´s.

Who has time (kids, students, unemployed and retired people) farm the game and get everything they need without having to spend real cash.
    Players with restricted time to play (professionaly active) compensate the less time in-game with items bought from the gem store.

So, basically, long hours players sell gold earned over time to get TP items + gems and time restricted players buy gems to get gold to get TP items and boosters.

Before the F2P model + gem shop was introduced en masse, the gold botting companies were making millions selling in-game gold for real cash to the time restricted players. Game companies quickly realized that they could sell themselves the in-game gold to the players, reducing the botters business and getting the millions botters used to get.

Thats why the F2P model + gem store was so enthusiasticaly embraced by most of MMO companies. The revenues are much higher compared to the old subscription model. Everyone is happy, people with time play for free and people with no time pay (legally) to compensate for their lack of time.

What ArenaNet did without telling their player base, was that they ninja reduced the loot drops around mid-November 2012. Basically, they hugely increased the time demand to get the same amount of gold in-game by farming events and mobs. The ones that got hit the most with this ninja nerf are the players that have time and play for free (usually the ones who bash this type of posts...ahahah, go figure!).
    The players that have no time and buy gems to trade for gold are much better because they can get much more gold for the same amount of gems/real money they used to get.

What the ninja loot drop reduction achieved it is clear: motivates the normal gem buyers to buy even more gems to get more gold and harvests real money from the free-play player base that can not compensate with more farming time their gold needs.

The real point in this whole controversy is that ArenaNet never admited the ninja loot drop nerf and actually lied to their player base by telling that no loot drop reductions have been introduced by them (the only nerf they admited was the unidentified dyes drop reduction after they started to drop as candies, I have nothing against that).

As you can see at their official forums, hundreds of players complain since around 15th November 2012 about the shocking lack of drops. Posts have been merged into a huge thread (1 month, 1256 replies and 42763 views) that was closed yesterday. More threads can be found all around their forum. A lot of people complain that they can not even gear the low level characters properly anymore.

ArenaNet created another pinned thread asking from players their data about drops compared with pre-15th November values, like they do not have themselves the data.. :)

Even if all this is obvious to everyone, there will be always players bashing these alert posts...thats ok. BUT a lot of other players will open their eyes and will see the light.. :)

When the trust relationship between a company and its costumers is broken, very rarely can it be mended. Only time will tell...

Thank you and best regards.

P.S. - Once and for all please stop thinking about the gold-gem rate exchange as a true supply-demand model. It is not. The rate is tampered by ArenaNet at their will. Below is the proof:

[laughs]
    [walks away]
    [explosion]

• loki27loki27 Member Posts: 24

(...) What ArenaNet did without telling their player base, was that they ninja reduced the loot drops around mid-November 2012. (...)

Since you're stating this as a fact, do you have a proof? Because no one I know in real life or in-game noticed anything except for the dyes. I'm certainly not saying ArenaNet is innocent, in fact their new-found love of RNG rewards is rather frustrating.

However, people will always complain about everything; they did when the game launched, they do now and they will in the future, just like with every other MMO. People will always say that because "out of 30 salvages they only got 4 ectos" etc. the loot must have changed; however that is what probability does, out of the millions players there are bound to be incredibly unlucky ones who say something is wrong. And maybe, just maybe, they're even right. But I'm not convinced.

(...) P.S. - Once and for all please stop thinking about the gold-gem rate exchange as a true supply-demand model. It is not. The rate is tampered by ArenaNet at their will. Below is the proof: (...)

What exactly am I supposed to see in that image? Except for the fact that the gem store didn't work and record data for a while, of course...?

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Originally posted by loki27

(...) What ArenaNet did without telling their player base, was that they ninja reduced the loot drops around mid-November 2012. (...)

Since you're stating this as a fact, do you have a proof? Because no one I know in real life or in-game noticed anything except for the dyes. I'm certainly not saying ArenaNet is innocent, in fact their new-found love of RNG rewards is rather frustrating.

However, people will always complain about everything; they did when the game launched, they do now and they will in the future, just like with every other MMO. People will always say that because "out of 30 salvages they only got 4 ectos" etc. the loot must have changed; however that is what probability does, out of the millions players there are bound to be incredibly unlucky ones who say something is wrong. And maybe, just maybe, they're even right. But I'm not convinced.

(...) P.S. - Once and for all please stop thinking about the gold-gem rate exchange as a true supply-demand model. It is not. The rate is tampered by ArenaNet at their will. Below is the proof: (...)

What exactly am I supposed to see in that image? Except for the fact that the gem store didn't work and record data for a while, of course...?

i think that guy is mad about Plinx event that dont start every few mins now

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Interestingly the OP is trying to use the gold/gem exchange rate as evidence.

Turns out the evidence doesn't support his conclusion.

So now the gold/gem exchange rate in meaningless - that is alright.

But that means there is no hard evidence.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Merry Christmas!

[laughs]
    [walks away]
    [explosion]

This discussion has been closed.