Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No chat bubbles again ?

Comments

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    @Zuzra

Your straw men consist in bringing in examples that has nothing to with my original argument, pretending that I must somehow argue for any conceivable socialization option just because I criticize those who argue against chat bubbles.

Sure, technically your examples are socializing options but they're absurd and hardly on the same level as chat bubbles, which are a common MMO feature since way back.

You're just trying to score some cheap rethorical points here, instead of discussing the issue at hand. You don't like chat bubbles, fine. That's why them being optional completely removes any suffering they would cause you - problem solved!

• ZyzraZyzra Member Posts: 354
    Originally posted by Biskop
    @Zuzra

Your straw men consist in bringing in examples that has nothing to with my original argument, pretending that I must somehow argue for any conceivable socialization option just because I criticize those who argue against chat bubbles.

Sure, technically your examples are socializing options but they're absurd and hardly on the same level as chat bubbles, which are a common MMO feature since way back.

You're just trying to score some cheap rethorical points here, instead of discussing the issue at hand. You don't like chat bubbles, fine. That's why them being optional completely removes any suffering they would cause you - problem solved!

I don't mind chat bubbles in a setting that makes sense to include them.  Edit: I don't really consider "MMO" to be a setting.

They seem to remind me of Comic Book style talking, you know where they tell tales of superpowered people doing heroic things.  There was this MMO once that had chat bubbles and a bunch of superheros, a whole city of them in fact.  Can't remember what it was called but they did chat bubbles that weren't bad because they fit the game.

I guess Aventurine could make the chat bubbles in this game nearly unreadable and dripping blood.  You know, because most of the rest of the game is broken or supposed to be hardcore.

Again, I had two points.  First was that generalizing statements (examples including "Everyone likes this..." or "Nobody does that..." or "All games include...") make a point easy to invalidate, as you saw with my absurd examples that did just that.  The second point I had was that chat bubbles specifically do not fit the setting of the game and could end up being a detriment overall depending on implementation.

Of course if everyone toggled them off they would (hopefully, AV after all) do no harm... but then why include them?

If every minority of players got their way, we might see things like psychadelic colored pony mounts in EVE that shot cupcakes at power rangers who were being attacked by Vegeta.  But don't worry, you can toggle it.

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

Guys listen.

Im in the beta forum and almost everyone likes the bubble chat suggestion. 6 pages already, a bunch of +1. few whiners with bad argument, even if you can turn it off. Only weak argument they got is obviously, immersion breacking and we all know thats bullshit.

So expect to see bubble chat cuz tasos is readying the beta forum. He posted a lot lately even in trreads not started by him.

Note:

most mmorpg members in here dont represent the DF community, so if they say that we dont want bubble chat, replace we with I please. Good night.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by Elandir90
    Originally posted by zymurgeist

I hate chat bubbles cluttering up the screen. Personal preference, nothing more.

Maybe the Aventurine people feel the same way.

Do you understand that Chat bubble is an OPTIONAL feature at least ? Aventurine could understand the same. 

That may be true but did you ever think that Aventurine just doesn't really give a shit. Maybe, just maybe, they made a game the way they wanted to make it. You know as the developers and all. Maybe someone doesn't want to cater to you.

That being said you want chat bubbles and they aren't offered, tough shit. Find a different game that has what you want or make your own game. Either way end this turd of a thread.

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529
    Originally posted by f0dell54
    Originally posted by zymurgeist

I hate chat bubbles cluttering up the screen. Personal preference, nothing more.

Maybe the Aventurine people feel the same way.

Do you understand that Chat bubble is an OPTIONAL feature at least ? Aventurine could understand the same. 

That may be true but did you ever think that Aventurine just doesn't really give a shit. Maybe, just maybe, they made a game the way they wanted to make it. You know as the developers and all. Maybe someone doesn't want to cater to you.

That being said you want chat bubbles and they aren't offered, tough shit. Find a different game that has what you want or make your own game. Either way end this turd of a thread.

You guys are priceless. 

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Why? I mean is he wrong? Are chat bubbles not in DF:UA?
  • ZyzraZyzra Member Posts: 354

I just find the Darkfall community members in favor of chat bubbles to really need to wake up.

They are asking Aventurine to code something into the game.  Generally a bad idea.

This would take manhours of work to do, which means less manhours for making the game fully functional.  Also a bad idea.

The addition of a toggle is another calculation for the server, which already has trouble doing basic addition for queues.  Very bad idea.

I'd suggest that people give Aventurine the years they need to get this sequel up to the level of the first Darkfall before asking for such a huge undertaking of the Aventurine staff.

• WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

It sounds silly, but for me chat bubbles is one of the most important features regarding players interaction. 

Without it i feel muted. It hinders player interaction and takes away the cities life. When you are out in the world its even worse, people don't usually mind the chat box at all. It evens make  swearing or boasting pointless after you kill an enemy. DF1 didn't have it, DF UW should have !!!! 

Played DF1 for some good months and rarelly talked to anyone besides guildmates or alliance members. But even inside those  "friendly grounds" communications was difficult. 

Chat bubbles is a simple feature, i hope they implement it this time. 

And no shinny name plates over our heads, in a FFA game you really don't want those things, unless you like having someone creep up on you because of your big mouth lol.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Zyzra

I just find the Darkfall community members in favor of chat bubbles to really need to wake up.

They are asking Aventurine to code something into the game.  Generally a bad idea.

This would take manhours of work to do, which means less manhours for making the game fully functional.  Also a bad idea.

The addition of a toggle is another calculation for the server, which already has trouble doing basic addition for queues.  Very bad idea.

I'd suggest that people give Aventurine the years they need to get this sequel up to the level of the first Darkfall before asking for such a huge undertaking of the Aventurine staff.

That is silly logic.  Let's not suggest something that a lot of players want that wont effect the people who dont want it because AV sucks at implementing stuff.  It will take time to implement so until then, no suggestions should be offered up to improve the game. 

Originally posted by Badaboom

That is silly logic.  Let's not suggest something that a lot of players want that wont effect the people who dont want it because AV sucks at implementing stuff.  It will take time to implement so until then, no suggestions should be offered up to improve the game. 

We had some great patch lately and AV work around the clock. Everyday we get a patch with a bunch of changes. Also note that AV was working on their other game while we were playing DF 1.0 so dont compare how bad they were implementing stuff for DF 1.0

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Realbigdeal
    Originally posted by Badaboom

We had some great patch lately and AV work around the clock. Everyday we get a patch with a bunch of changes. Also note that AV was working on their other game while we were playing DF 1.0 so dont compare how bad they were implementing stuff for DF 1.0

I didn't write that clearly.  I don't agree with the above poster and just repeating what he was essentially saying.

• xzyaxxzyax Member Posts: 2,459

Guys listen.

Im in the beta forum and almost everyone likes the bubble chat suggestion. 6 pages already, a bunch of +1. few whiners with bad argument, even if you can turn it off. Only weak argument they got is obviously, immersion breacking and we all know thats bullshit.

So expect to see bubble chat cuz tasos is readying the beta forum. He posted a lot lately even in trreads not started by him.

Note:

most mmorpg members in here dont represent the DF community, so if they say that we dont want bubble chat, replace we with I please. Good night.

And with that... there goes SEANMCAD's arguement out the window.  

So, we basically have the word of SEAN vs. the word of Realbigdeal.  Real says that a majority of players in the beta forums like the idea.  SEAN has said that he "knows" the majority of DarkFall players wouldn't like it, even though he can't really point to any evidence to back that statement up.

I think the players are speaking for what they would like to see.  Let's see if it makes a difference to the few who don't like the idea.  image

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by xzyax

Guys listen.

Note:

So, we basically have the word of SEAN vs. the word of Realbigdeal.  Real says that a majority of players in the beta forums like the idea.  SEAN has said that he "knows" the majority of DarkFall players wouldn't like it, even though he can't really point to any evidence to back that statement up.

I think the players are speaking for what they would like to see.  Let's see if it makes a difference to the few who don't like the idea.  image

and his evidence is exactly the same as mine isnt? please explain how me playing darkfall 1 and the vast majoirty of pepole I talked to thought the idea was laughable is different from his "evidence"

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• xzyaxxzyax Member Posts: 2,459
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

Guys listen.

Note:

and his evidence is exactly the same as mine isnt? please explain how me playing darkfall 1 and the vast majoirty of pepole I talked to thought the idea was laughable is different from his "evidence"

If I have to explain it... it won't matter.  

I'll happily leave it at letting everyone who reads this thread make up their own mind.  I think it is pretty self-evident.  image

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by Biskop
    @Zuzra

lol

if you think THIS is bad, you should read that thread (main topic was about games without NPCs) where she argues that youtube is not worthwhile because "the majority of everything is crap", and acts like the part in quotes is some kind of advanced concept that has to be taught to people, rather than being the equivalent of "the sky is blue".  

she.... 

1) keeps forgetting that options are....OPTIONAL along with all the other _______,

2) has no clue that Mortal Online, another "hardcore full loot FFA PVP sandbox" thats the most closely related game to DF DOES HAVE CHAT BUBBLES, and it works out JUST FINE IN REALITY

3) thinks DF players wouldn't want this, when in fact %97+ of the people in the official forum are enthusiastically practically begging for them, TONS of upvotes, and hardly a naysayer in the lot...... and the players THERE are FAR more "hardcore full loot FFA PVP sandbox" focused than the population here, and FAR more likely to argue with you, and poo-poo your every suggestion

examine her profile a bit, so you can get a better understanding of who you're spending time on.  8)  

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

lolol

your insider coding knowledge is amazing!

Corpus Callosum    

Guys listen.

Note:

i can kinda see why you think that, because i was surprised by the current thread based on what i've usually heard on the subject in the past

but our tiny amount of anecdotal evidence is no match for the large (and recent) PUBLIC FORUM thread on the issue.

i was surprised too.  my theory is that Mortal Online's recent F2P transition has opened up a lot of peoples eyes on the subject, now that they can see the REALITY of it, in an existing, similar game.

there's PROBABLY been a lot of DF downtime in this beta, and it only makes sense that tons of DF'ers are logging into MO during those times.

Corpus Callosum    

Guys listen.

Note:

If I have to explain it... it won't matter.  

I'll happily leave it at letting everyone who reads this thread make up their own mind.  I think it is pretty self-evident.  image

he is using EXACTLY to the tee same evidence approach as I did, and you didnt even notice it

perhaps the user base is different now?

Originally posted by corpusc

Guys listen.

Note:

i can kinda see why you think that, because i was surprised by the current thread based on what i've usually heard on the subject in the past

but our tiny amount of anecdotal evidence is no match for the large (and recent) PUBLIC FORUM thread on the issue.

i was surprised too.  my theory is that Mortal Online's recent F2P transition has opened up a lot of peoples eyes on the subject, now that they can see the REALITY of it, in an existing, similar game.

there's PROBABLY been a lot of DF downtime in this beta, and it only makes sense that tons of DF'ers are logging into MO during those times.

back in the early days of DF1 chat bubbles was an on going joke on the DF forums as well as in various chat channels I was in.

Perhaps the user base has changed which wouldnt surprise me a lot of people I know left because the direction DF2 was going.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    I think it's prett clear that chat bubbles would be a good feature we could  love and use however a list of such features is quite long and this one is and should be particularly low on to do list. Remember it's AV we talk about.
    Originally posted by StarI
    I think it's prett clear that chat bubbles would be a good feature we could  love and use however a list of such features is quite long and this one is and should be particularly low on to do list. Remember it's AV we talk about.

aside from totally disagreeing with you lets get a bit more technical for a second.

have you ever been in combat with a team member who was not on voice and you had to text him?

baaahhhhhhh hysterical massive fail...

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

After reading this entire thread and weighing both sides of the argument, the nay side being that emplementing a chat bubble option effects anyone on that particular player's screen to see all bubbles not just his own, therefor giving away another player's position when he's trying to stay covert. And the yay side telling them that the option would be for local and maybe trade channels only, which would have shorter ranges to begin with. I really don't see the issue with adding chat bubbles in this situation as a option for players that wish to toggle this on.

If players who really think they'd be at a disadvantage in PvP situation from someone who has chat bubbles activated, why would you be talking in a local or trade channel in the first place? Unless you feel that you are that absent-minded, in which case you really shouldn't be playing DF to begin with. I only say that because I've heard it stated many times that DF players have to be aware of their surroundings at all times. Wouldn't this include keeping you mouth shut in certain situations? If something needs to be said "real" DF player would be using vchat, guild chat or pm's anyway right?

And since its been pointed out by someone here that a majority of DF players are actually FOR this particular feature, unlike the opposition here that claims to represent that majority, I have to say I too find it easier on the eyes to visually see with whom I am speaking to. And chat bubbles allow me to zero in on them without looking down and sorting through lines of text. I think younger people have a easier time sorting through and scanning useless text messages while old dogs like me liken chat bubbles to face to face conversations. I like to size up with who I am speaking to, even if its just a quick scan of my eyes over their avatars appearance. Either way if it gets too distracting to look at all dem bubbles, I can easily toggle the option off. That's the good thing about having options I guess.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

Originally posted by Ramonski7

After reading this entire thread and weighing both sides of the argument, the nay side being that emplementing a chat bubble option effects anyone on that particular player's screen to see all bubbles not just his own, therefor giving away another player's position when he's trying to stay covert. And the yay side telling them that the option would be for local and maybe trade channels only, which would have shorter ranges to begin with. I really don't see the issue with adding chat bubbles in this situation as a option for players that wish to toggle this on.

If players who really think they'd be at a disadvantage in PvP situation from someone who has chat bubbles activated, why would you be talking in a local or trade channel in the first place? Unless you feel that you are that absent-minded, in which case you really shouldn't be playing DF to begin with. I only say that because I've heard it stated many times that DF players have to be aware of their surroundings at all times. Wouldn't this include keeping you mouth shut in certain situations? If something needs to be said "real" DF player would be using vchat, guild chat or pm's anyway right?

And since its been pointed out by someone here that a majority of DF players are actually FOR this particular feature, unlike the opposition here that claims to represent that majority, I have to say I too find it easier on the eyes to visually see with whom I am speaking to. And chat bubbles allow me to zero in on them without looking down and sorting through lines of text. I think younger people have a easier time sorting through and scanning useless text messages while old dogs like me liken chat bubbles to face to face conversations. I like to size up with who I am speaking to, even if its just a quick scan of my eyes over their avatars appearance. Either way if it gets too distracting to look at all dem bubbles, I can easily toggle the option off. That's the good thing about having options I guess.

1. there is no more evidence that the majority of DF players are actually for this feature then I have evidence to the exact opposite.

2. You could plant a person in a group area of people who are known to use chat bubbles and then spam tons of lines of text filling the screen not allows those people to see what is about to hit them. Now in all fairness that could be accounted for but this is just one casual not even well thought out example.

3. anyone who has played DF1 knows using text chat while in combat of any kind (small or large) is an instant loose. Given that reality I really question the claim that most DF players want chat bubble when texting while in combat is nearly impossible to begin with

Originally posted by StarI

aside from totally disagreeing with you lets get a bit more technical for a second.

have you ever been in combat with a team member who was not on voice and you had to text him?

baaahhhhhhh hysterical massive fail...

No, thats hysterical epic fail.

Bad players will always be bad at communicating. With or without voice comms.

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

oh god... chat bubbles

can you imagine the exploits this would cause.

i can see it now. players fill their chat bar with spaces letters and gibberish, maxing out the allotted chat bar. then go about business.  once pvp happens they hit enter twice, unleashing a screen blocking chat bubble, blocking the attackers view of the battle field.

now imagine this during a siege with hundreds of players blotting out the sky with chat bubbles as they advance on the confused and blinded opponents.

people had no issues RPing in 1.0...in fact it was kinda funny how much people RP'ed in this game.  but chat bubbles...nah...makes the game feel like some childish cartoon, they get annoying, i can see what you type in the chat box anyway.