Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] The War Z: The War Z - Feelin' a Bit Uncomfortable

13»

Comments

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Originally posted by furdude
    Paying to remove respawn timers has been removed from the game. This part of your artcle is incorrect.

These things were removed as a result of the articles condeming the practice.  The articles are correct, the developer took action because of them.  This is why it is important for gamers to make their opinions known.  The only way greedy developers and poor development is brought to light and corrected is for the media to get involved. 

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• ZyzraZyzra Member Posts: 354

That furdude would probably say an article printed during world war 2 about an attack on pearl harbor was incorrect, because pearl harbor appears fine today.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973
    Originally posted by Kabaal

I'm not sure how they're going to recover from this tbh as the Studio is now toxic in the gaming community. The story has been so popular that it's even been the 4th most read article on the BBC site yesterday. A good start would be firing Sergey but it will take more than that.

Completely toxic.. Got a hit on yahoo also

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by erictlewis
    Does anybody have an email of being threatened with being added to a global balcklist.  I know there are global backlist for email spammers, but I never heard of one for games. I would like to see a screen shot of one of those emails.
    I know web images can be faked easily. When I Googled "warz refund blacklist" I came upon this:
    leviathyn.com

...which seems to be the only reference everyone else is using.

Does one web picture make it so? I do not know.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• FailtrainFailtrain Member Posts: 129
    Originally posted by Drolkin
    Originally posted by orbitxo

Honestly these things are taken way out of extreme.

people spending too much time to ditching a game-if you dont want to play it then dont. move on, if you feel youve been ripped off- ask for a refund. -done.

i myself beign a commercial artist-there is nothign wrong to take images(photographs) for referenceto use in  illustrations. [mod edit]

I agree, I took a break from this website, I come back a month later and I see this and another article trashing the game still, talk about a stale industry.

Think about that for a second; perhaps it's because the game really is trash. Did you read the article? Let's not support frauds, please.

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

I don't condone them at all, but you people always find something to complain about in every game, go look at every games forums its full of people thinking they know more then Devs...

Funny I been waiting for some of you to make your own games... Because thats what I did when I got sick of seeing games I dislike but what was I thinking you people rather whine about everything...... By the way to MMorpg... This thread from the start had trolling all over it....

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    Oom not a good situation at all..  I doubt the project and company are going to survive this...  You'd most likely have to be a few tins short of a 6-pack to buy this game now or in the future.
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Kabaal
    I'm not sure how they're going to recover from this tbh as the Studio is now toxic in the gaming community. The story has been so popular that it's even been the 4th most read article on the BBC site yesterday. A good start would be firing Sergey but it will take more than that.

This has grown well beyond just one Dev.  At this point, the entire company (branding wise) is toxic.  Sergey just put the cherry on top of the toxic cake.  They should NEVER have been allowed to directly interact with the player base, or the public. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Darkcrystal

I don't condone them at all, but you people always find something to complain about in every game, go look at every games forums its full of people thinking they know more then Devs...

Funny I been waiting for some of you to make your own games... Because thats what I did when I got sick of seeing games I dislike but what was I thinking you people rather whine about everything...... By the way to MMorpg... This thread from the start had trolling all over it....

Your comment has no place in this thread. There is an actual situation here and it isn't what typical MMO's or games in general go through. 

There is a difference between "SWTOR f2p conversion is one of the worst I've seen" and the real legal issues surrounding War Z. 

I understand where you are coming from but this thread does not fall in line with what you are trying to say. A new thread in general chat would have been appropriate but trying to down play the situation here is not. 

• barrett67barrett67 Member Posts: 4
    I had a feeling that this was going to happen. There is to much Shady stuff going on with Warz. I’m glad that I didn’t sink anything into Warz's game. Blacklisting people, Cause they want a refund. That’s Shady plain and simple. To me, Dayz will be the only Zombie game that is good. Far as their game style. I know that you have your hacker on there. but other then that. It is a good game. Plus on top of that, They are still up and running. They don’t try to take your money. They don’t try to Blacklist you either. Look at this. Someone has put it in a timeline for Warz down fall.

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576
    double post? strange
  • evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576

i myself beign a commercial artist-there is nothign wrong to take images(photographs) for referenceto use in  illustrations. [mod edit]

surely you jest.

the imagery you are referencing is a blatant copy and paste from an IP hammerpoint has no ownership in. did they add on a different hairstyle and maybe alter a shirt? yeah but that doesn't matter. there's using existing work as inspiration and there is copyright infringement, hammerpoint is erring on the edge of the latter with touch of laziness as garnish. they should count their lucky stars if AMC doesn't decide to go after them, i certainly wouldn't want my company's name coming up in association with these people.

i myself being a graphic designer for a large production company in the mid-western US.

• VitaminKVitaminK Member UncommonPosts: 76
    the game is not yet done, what was posted on steam was the supposed 'final' version of the game which wasnt going to be complete for a few months. simple mistake made worse by HPs PR guy. decent game only getting better. regardless of people flaming them for this happening every article about this gets the game more people.
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by VitaminK
    the game is not yet done, what was posted on steam was the supposed 'final' version of the game which wasnt going to be complete for a few months. simple mistake made worse by HPs PR guy. decent game only getting better. regardless of people flaming them for this happening every article about this gets the game more people.

Thats rather doubtful. But there is a difference between gaining players, and retaining them.  Given the really bad PR thats now attached to this game, thats going to be difficult.  This wasn't just a matter of a couple of mistakes. Anyone who has been following this knows what the companies attitude towards its playerbase is.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • MMOdad72MMOdad72 Member Posts: 93

Really stretching it there , in fact spinning it greatly.

There's a huge difference between beta issues , bugs , etc and the dev being called out publically lying and a very well known company like Valve/Steam coming down on them.

Showing just how juvenile , clueless , and out of touch with reality in general the dev in the interview is has made him a joke on the internet , and this was not going to be a game the average gamer picked up off the shelf. Its going to be lambasted by the Steam community and IGN community and others in general from now on as a joke and scam.

This game is done , won't recover from this no matter what wishful thinking.

So the games still in beta then? 

And no lol I seriously doubt the game is growing after this debacle lol... 

Though after the false advertising I'm sure Sergey is willing to tell everyone that the game is growing faster than ever and when it comes to light that it hasn't I'm equally sure he will be there willing to blame us for "misreading" what he said lol!

• AbangyarudoAbangyarudo Member Posts: 156

people spending too much time to ditching a game-if you dont want to play it then dont. move on, if you feel youve been ripped off- ask for a refund. -done.

reference is one thing... those images are blantantly ripped off so in fairness they should provide credit as well as money towards their inspiration. If you think referencing is copying then I believe you should reevualate your career choice as I'm kinda suprised that amc or whoever funds the show is not bringing them to court. 

Originally posted by Abangyarudo

reference is one thing... those images are blantantly ripped off so in fairness they should provide credit as well as money towards their inspiration. If you think referencing is copying then I believe you should reevualate your career choice as I'm kinda suprised that amc or whoever funds the show is not bringing them to court. 

Yeah it's sad that this is now considered "Referencing"... 

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

This game is just a grand Scam. I do feel a bit sorry for the people who paid and got scammed but the lies this company has told are just remarkable. First they recognise a popular Mod in Day Z, then banking on name association they start making their own version of precisely the same thing while claiming they started their project long before Day Z mod was announced (which is later confirmed as a total lie) then there is the copyright infringement and finally a cease and decist letter for using the name The War Z from Paramount claiming that The War Z was too similar to the name of their upcoming film, "World War Z".

They even launched the game to release after they recieved the cease & decist and the game is in such an unplayable state (might as well be Alpha) that it has been pulled from Steam.

Toot Toot ! All Aboard the Day Z Train Wreck !

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638

Saying what you will about Hammerpoint, I do not care.  They may be everything that they are accused of.  That is the politics of the game.

DayZ, War Z, I mean, let's face it, this is what it comes down to. 

As far as the two games, both are good at what they do. 

War Z, sure there was lag in trying to hit zombies in the head, but Day Z has that problem too (though not as bad anymore).

I played both.   I like both.  But here is the thing, DayZ is a mod.  A mod trying to be stand alone.  Which would not be bad, but the UI is a pain in the butt.   War Z actually has a decent UI to pick up items and manage them.  Not perfect though.

A problem that is common to both games is this... You can kill zombies, you can kill other people, but what else is there?  It's like playing Search and Destroy with hour long map times with no respawn.  Because if you die from another player, or whacking a zombie 40 times in the head to kill it with a flashlight, you have to spend an hour running around trying to re-equip yourself. 

There needs to be more goal orientated matter in both games.  They are fun, but to lose all that time due to a glitch, lag, or another player, meh, only allows me to enjoy it every now and again.

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by WolfClaws

A problem that is common to both games is this... You can kill zombies, you can kill other people, but what else is there?  It's like playing Search and Destroy with hour long map times with no respawn.  Because if you die from another player, or whacking a zombie 40 times in the head to kill it with a flashlight, you have to spend an hour running around trying to re-equip yourself. 

There needs to be more goal orientated matter in both games.  They are fun, but to lose all that time due to a glitch, lag, or another player, meh, only allows me to enjoy it every now and again.

Your playing a Sandbox game, YOUR supposed to come up with ideas of what to do next, they've given you a world you make of it what you will.

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

What a stupid company. Wow. 

Never had any intention of playing this game... now, I promise, I never will. lol

• CypeqCypeq Member Posts: 66

Making fraudlent charity collection can send you to jail.

Selling alpha stage game as full fledged product with fake screenshots and lying feature list should send people responsible for this milions of dolars woth scam to jail too.

There should be some cryterium of finished product... you can't sell device that doesn't make calls and market it as phone.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by AwDiddums
    Originally posted by WolfClaws

Your playing a Sandbox game, YOUR supposed to come up with ideas of what to do next, they've given you a world you make of it what you will.

Being thrown into a world is one thing, being thrown into a world with mechanics to make meaningful changes to it is something else.

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361

Nonsense, if you are an artist and copy off other peoples work you are not an artist, and if you sell it you should be sued. I'm an artist myself and If i was ever to copy photographs and put them in my work I would be liable to be sued here in canada. I have also had people steal my own work with my clothing designs for hoodys, t-shirts, and posters, and call it their own meanwhile selling it for a tidy sum. Any artist who copys other illustrations is not a artist, they are simply copy cats with no artistic skills of their own. It's like using tracing paper to copy other peoples work. So your comment that this article has been taken to extreame is simply bullshit, and at the same time trying to defend that somehow it's ok for someone to copy illustrations from other peoples work and make money off it.