Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dual Boot Windows 7 and 8

Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

So I had a dual boot setup with windows 7 and the release preview, it worked perfectly fine. Since I get free keys for windows 8 (student) I decided I'll do it again with the actual OS now but when installing to the partition it gave me the error about windows 8 only being able to be installed on GPT disks. I'm on a MBR disk, the same one the dual boot was working on with the release preview so this is a little baffling. 

While searching online, some people claim that windows can only be installed to GPT disks. Since I'm getting many conflicting searches on the issue can someone tell me if it is possible to have a dual boot setup on a MBR disk with WIN 7 and 8? I have a p8z67 le ASUS motherboard and a i5-2500k so UEFI is supported. 

If it isn't possible, I've read that I can create a VHD and this actually seems like quite a nice and easy solution but I'm wondering if there are any disadvantages to it compared to running it off a partition? I prefer the partition just because if I end up liking the OS over time I can move all my stuff from the other partition to this and extend it, and delete the win7 parition. 

Comments

• TraugarTraugar Member UncommonPosts: 183

I had win8 installed to a MBR disk.  It didn't last long though.  There are a few things that I do like about it, but overall it is horrible.  The few things I do like are massively overshadowed by what I don't like.  This is definetly the upgrade to skip.  Maybe they will have it worked out by 9.  

Also when I installed I just upgraded my Win 7 install.  Which sucked because I had to wipe in order to get rid of 8.  

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418

Never Upgrade. All ways Fresh.

I have been working with Windows 8 for quite a While. I love it

Originally posted by Giddian

Normally I go with that but the win 8 upgrade is one of the few things I think they did right.  It's the philosophy of the interface as a whole that I don't like.  Metro is a disaster unless you have a touchscreen, and even if you go to desktop it just doesn't feel right.  Removing the start menu was a bad idea.  They made some simple tasks a little to convoluted for my tastes.  I feel that an OS is supposed to just stay out of your way so that you can do what you need to do.  Win 8 does the opposite which is a shame.  IMO the only good windows versions were win 95, win xp, and win 7.  Everything else has fallen short.  Like I said I feel that 8 is on the wrong path of putting the OS in the way of the user, but there are some things it does right so maybe they will have it fleshed out by 9.  Vista launch was horrible, and the 7 came along.  All it was was vista fixed.  Maybe 9 will do something similar.  

Originally posted by Traugar

Normally I go with that but the win 8 upgrade is one of the few things I think they did right.  It's the philosophy of the interface as a whole that I don't like.  Metro is a disaster unless you have a touchscreen, and even if you go to desktop it just doesn't feel right.  Removing the start menu was a bad idea.  They made some simple tasks a little to convoluted for my tastes.  I feel that an OS is supposed to just stay out of your way so that you can do what you need to do.  Win 8 does the opposite which is a shame.  IMO the only good windows versions were win 95, win xp, and win 7.  Everything else has fallen short.  Like I said I feel that 8 is on the wrong path of putting the OS in the way of the user, but there are some things it does right so maybe they will have it fleshed out by 9.  Vista launch was horrible, and the 7 came along.  All it was was vista fixed.  Maybe 9 will do something similar.  

I dissagree.

1 the start bar is there, its a whole screen now.

2 Touchscreen is not needed nore is it lacking without one.

3 The Icons Start screen rocks, Great to orginise the way you wish.

4 I find things running better and faster than they did with Windows 7

Originally posted by Traugar

I dissagree.

1 the start bar is there, its a whole screen now.

2 Touchscreen is not needed nore is it lacking without one.

3 The Icons Start screen rocks, Great to orginise the way you wish.

4 I find things running better and faster than they did with Windows 7

Guess it comes down to simple difference in tastes.  

Anyway I thing we can agree that we have derailed the topic enough.  

OP long story short is yes I have had Win 8 installed on an MBR disk.  

• ZyzraZyzra Member Posts: 354

I will not upgrade to windows 8.

The metro interface seems decent to some, but I have a triple screen setup.  My attempt at using 8 amounted to massive tiles stretched over a huge area.  Also if I were to use bezel compensation I could lose entire tiles between monitors.  Further, some apps can't be run in a windowed mode as far as I can tell.  This may become a growing trend as the windows 8 is supposed to work on tablets which wouldn't have windowed apps.  So for me using some of these apps would be frustrating, ugly, or even impossible.

It is a massive shortcoming.

The 3 screens is a Good Point.

But I have yet to see an app not work on it. All the Apps I have, Run great.

seeing is how it is built off Windows 7.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440
    Originally posted by Aori
    If youre using UEFI to boot, the partition has to be GPT.  In bios you should be able to force boot your usb/dvd without uefi. 

When I get option to pick DVD to boot, I've tried picking both the UEFI DVD and the regular DVD. Both have given me same error in regards to GPT disks. 

Got it to work, thanks for the help guys. 
    Originally posted by Aori
    What was the issue for future reference?

Sorry for not posting the solution, a friend looked at it for me so am not entirely sure but there was an issue in the BIOS settings. After he was done I just booted from DVD (not UEFI) and it worked perfectly fine, have it installed and running without any problems so far.