Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why do people some people sign off on forums

ffs ur name is clearly displayed, u dont need to sign off

eg.

~bishbosh2

srsly one of the most irritating things ever. does it really make you fell special?

inb4 everyone signs off in this thread to piss me off

Comments

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Eir_S, signing on.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

yeah, it really annoys me too. The username is right to the left...if I wanted to know who you were, I would look

-TheScavenger signing off

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    I remember someone asking this exact question to bren before o.o

~Castillle

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

In some forums I do it to promote name recognition.  Given that we have signatures, I don't see the need to do so here.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • lorewiselorewise Member Posts: 17
    This is why I've disabled forum signatures. There's already a  box for a name and a user icon. If the majority of your posts are worthless you probably have a huge signature. See also men driving half ton pick ups.
  • MethiosMethios Member Posts: 157
    I find it pointless just don't pay those people attention.
  • DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362

I see this a lot on sports websites too. I think about where this came from, like if these people used to be Usenet or BBS posters where you just threw a message up. Then I just stopped thinking so hard about it and decided that the people that do this are attention seeking tools and it really makes life so much easier.

It's not a huge bother but you do wonder the thought process behind it. Maybe like the internet version of speaking in the third person.

Since it looks like Pet Peeve Saturday and we are getting it out there, anyone that says the words "meh" or "tho" I want to beat them with their own shoe.  Of course since that's like about 90% of the internet now, I just chalk it up to the changing times and  learn to live with it. I don't want to morph into a codger just yet.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by bishbosh2

eg.

~bishbosh2

srsly one of the most irritating things ever. does it really make you fell special?

Of course you were inb4 everyone else. You started the thread image

~Nßlitζ

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

What..... I Hate........ Even..... More................. Is... People.......... who talk like ........................ this..

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

The topic, as short as it may have been has reminded me of one thing.

No matter how harmless/silly it may be whatever it is you're doing in today´s society, someone out there (really) hates you for it image

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

Ego.  End of story.

Especially love the attention seekers who just have to use colored text on all their posts.

• CailiegCailieg Member Posts: 85

I do it because I chose not to use my name as my handle.

My handle is based on a word I could not spell in Gaelic as a child. Caileag. I always mispelled it.

But my name is Alexis, and I would prefer people who get to know me refer to me as such. Also; I am not a fan of what I call "internet anonymity syndrome" and never try to "hide". The emote underneath is just a habit I piccked up. *smiles* *frowns* *dances with glee* etc.

Alexis

*smiles*

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

We could sow confusion in order to satisfy our petty vengeance urge?

~parishilton

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• RazperilRazperil Member Posts: 289
    Originally posted by bishbosh2

eg.

~bishbosh2

I can only imagine what other petty things bother and tick you off. (Once again, can't assume due to those things called forum rules). Now, if I was to tell you that I'm logging off after this post, that would be flaming and I'd get a warning or ban... Oh well, it's bitter irony nonetheless :)

• could it not be just something as simple as a holdover from people writing letters or even emails.  they could do it just out of habit from that.
  • ZyzraZyzra Member Posts: 354

There are a lot of things that annoy me.  Things like adding extra letters to a username because the one you wanted was taken.  xXx Awesome xXx.  Or adding numbers for the same reason.  Awesome1198498494165165.  Switching capitalization for no reason in a username.  AwEsOmE.

Signing your name when it has already been done is also lame.  If you wanted to you could include it in the signature field, and savve time.

• IczerIczer Member UncommonPosts: 116

This thread is going places.

Also ...

-Iczer

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Can't be worse than people ending their posts with

-Discuss

That REALLY makes me cringe

• MethiosMethios Member Posts: 157
    Originally posted by Starpower

Can't be worse than people ending their posts with

-Discuss

That REALLY makes me cringe

yes it does lol

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Is the season getting you a little stressed, bishbosh2? :(

( when people start getting sensitive to how other people are behaving, I'm not sure if I should argue with them or go over and give them a sympathy hug ... well, if I had normal-sized personal space and actually gave hugs )

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

I would do it if i knew it bothered somone

~Rayshe

Because i can.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Iczer

Also ...

Wait, did you mean

… (ucode 2026) or ... (ucode 002Ex3) or ............ (tab replaced with . leaders)?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

[mod edit]

[Non-mod edit] Really wish the mods would delete the whole post, instead of just the part of it that made it all make sense.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Am I missing something? It shouldn't matter, as everything gets read eventually.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.