Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Lord of the Rings Online really worth it?

So I found Lotro on steam and it's downloading as I type this. I decided to take a break from WoW, I didn't really like MoP. I watched the movies and have an idea about the story, but no clue how the game is. Any of you that played/play Lotro? Any tips, what is the class a noob should pick to learn the basics, how is the community etc?

Is the story in-game quite comparable to that of SWTOR (in terms of grippingness). Or is it just a poor excuse wrapped around the game to make it look like it has substance?

Received my first Free UGC code! :)
Claim your Free UGC code Here

Comments

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

I used to play Lotro back few years ago.  But I haven't played it in quite some time.  The warden class is very fun, and quite challenging though.  I would say the game is worthwhile if you have never played it, but kind of gets borring once you get closer to the end game.

Personal opinion at least.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

I think it's worth it but it's certainly not a perfect game.

I suspect that the more engaged one is with the story of the lord of the rings the more one might get invested in the game.

Parts of the game are great and parts can be a bit tedious.

I hate the avatars and the weapon/armor designs for the most part but the world is well done. I understand they are remaking Bree so that's a plus as well.

it's f2p so you have nothing to lose. If you want to unlock more content you can pay for that content or slowly collect turbine points through general play and use those points for content. Or subscribe.

Personally, I'm at a point in the main storyline (character is 70 at the moment) where it's beyond tedious and I've not had the heart to log in. I'm told it will get batter though.

However, there is a lot of lore woven into many of the quests, there is a music system, outfits for customization, some need raids here and there, etc.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Renton81

So I found Lotro on steam and it's downloading as I type this. I decided to take a break from WoW, I didn't really like MoP. I watched the movies and have an idea about the story, but no clue how the game is. Any of you that played/play Lotro? Any tips, what is the class a noob should pick to learn the basics, how is the community etc?

Is the story in-game quite comparable to that of SWTOR (in terms of grippingness). Or is it just a poor excuse wrapped around the game to make it look like it has substance?

How the game is - if you come from wow, it will be familiar (back at start a lot of people called it wow with Middle-earth skin)

Class for the basics - maybe champ or hunter, depending you favor melee or ranged dps. Those are pretty forgiving, modest/quick levellers, good choices for a start. (but at the class selection window there's a difficulty rank for each class, so you can choose based on that too)

Community - I think great, but that's just one opinion, you'll get first-hand experience anyway :)

Story - again only imo, but I think it's great and backing up the lore just fine (since you play a Middle-earth resident who helps the Fellowship on the side). Unlike SW:TOR it has only one main storyline, so story-wise it doesn't matter which class you choose.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    I spend more time patching than I do playing.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    My GF loves it and still plays.  For me it was a bit too questy for my liking, but it did run quite well.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • TwistingfateTwistingfate Member Posts: 177

Id say that if you enjoy the lore and story, its a good game. I played it with a friend for awhile and really enjoyed it. One of the best parts of the game was the community. Pretty much everyone i met was friendly and informative towards a newer player. I also joined the large kinship on my server, funny thing was I was the youngest in it at age 21. 

TLDR. Its a great game with a nice community. Id recomend it.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Its free and has some interesting story elements.  I would recommend giving the free version a try for a while and see if you like it.  I like that I can skirmish or do other things instead of questing all the time.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    For me, I found that the Shire starting area and the leveling from 1-20 is pretty fun.
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    One of the best MMORPG's out IMO.
  • zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    I subscribed after few years and i love this game! I'm only level 23 Lore Master for  now  but i enjoy this game like i did in wow . Graphic is amazing , housing is one of the best i ever saw in any mmo.  One big plus for me is that you can pvp now with your class not only monster play. Only thing i would like is to see 2 faction like in movie, evil and good so you can engage somone on pvp servers. My recommendation for this game.
  • ThenextbigthingThenextbigthing Member Posts: 104
    Originally posted by Renton81

Compared with lotro SWTOR felt lifeless and dull. Lotro is far more immersive and has a stronger community than SWTOR ever will.