Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reply to an official ArenaNet answer at GW2 official forums about loot drop nerf.

RedJorgeRedJorge Member Posts: 106

(Official ArenaNet answer to a thread 1 month old https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Change-in-loot-parameters-or-a-bug-Merged/page/26#post1066157, with 1210 posts and 40575 views, reporting a huge ninja loot drop nerf done by ArenaNet on 15th November in order to steer players to buy gems with real money to trade for gold in-game)

Stephane Lo Presti.7258:

We’ve seen reports from players questioning the randomness of the drop mechanisms in GW2 and in particular asking if it’s been changed recently. This is not the case and we don’t think that the randomness mechanism is misbehaving, but we’re running some data to be sure there isn’t anything unexpected going on. So far nothing shows anything suspicious but we’ll keep gathering data and analyzing it. We’ve also created a thread where players can share with us their concrete data about any perceived strange drop behavior they encounter:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Share-your-data-about-perceived-strange-drop-behavior-here/first

Thanks for your understanding and help!

Stephane Lo Presti,

Now that I have thought through about your official answer to this loot issue and fully realized all the implications, I must say I feel deeply offended by you. Not by you personally or as a human being but by you as an official representative of your company.

Having the nerve to, after all the huge and detailed feedback in this thread, write what you have wrote really speaks volumes for your company respect towards your costumers.

Do you really think that your answer is satisfactory? Do you really think we deserve that kind of disrespectful treatment?

You seem not having the faintest idea with whom are you talking about. You seem to think that we are all a bunch of adolescents, hooked by a game, spending our valueless time playing it. But in my books even adolescents deserve respect.

You and your company need to realize with whom you are dealing with.

From all the posts I read here I can surely affirm that in this thread have posted people with twice your age, with family and huge responsabilities, with professional careers that would pale the careers of all your staff put together and with effective and executive power in their everyday businesses that most of you can not even dream of.

Yet, all of them, even if their anger showed through some of the posts in this thread, reported/complained/tried to get an honest answer from you and your company.

And what we all got? Your official answer.

I can only think that you and your company think that because we play a fantasy computer game, investing hundreds or thousands of hours/dollars/euros in apparently silly activities, we must be no-lifers and brainless human beings.

Just for your information, we play your game because we CAN and we WANT. We spend money in your gem store because we HAVE it in such a sufficient amount that we can buy pixels. In today´s world TIME is the most valuable asset. And yet, many of us manage to do all their important real world tasks and responsabilities and save some precious hours to spend in your game.

When we invest our precious time playing this game we want to have pleasure and fun doing it. Most of us are real life high achievers and that is amply demonstrated in this game.

We do not want to be lied at and we do not want to be funneled towards activities we do not like, just because someone within your company thinks itself sufficiently inteligent to steer us towards his/her greedy objectives.

We want to have pleasure doing whatever we feel like it and we deserve your attention, support and respect.

If all you have for us is your official answer then I must say is not good enough. Actually, short from being good enough, it is outrageously disrespectful because it just wants to buy more time from us and even tries to, once again, divert our attention away from this thread to other thread, pretending to be “working” on this issue.

Stephane Lo Presti,

I do not know if this post will be deleted or if I will receive a warning for it. All I know is that this is exactly what I feel and think.

Actually, just for the record, all you and your company achieved by “actively” policing and merging and deleting threads at will in these forums is that day by day more and more unsatisfied costumers are posting all around the internet in other forums their complains and frustrations about this game. You can silence us here but you can not silence us everywhere else.

And believe me that all of this is hurting your player base and your potential new costumers.

We complain because we CARE. We come here to inform you and your company and vent our frustrations about the shortfalls of this game because we LOVE it.

Its a pitty that such a wonderful game, full of potential, declines rapidly to be buried under the dust of MMORPG/MMO´s history.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I wish you and your company can make our Christmas Merry and give us a Happy New Year playing this game.

Best regards,

Red

Leonard: Penny, you are on fire.
Penny: Yes, so is Sheldon.
[laughs]
Sheldon: Okay, that's it. I don't know how, but she is cheating. No-one can be that attractive and this skilled at a video game.
[walks away]
Penny: Wait, wait. Sheldon. Come back, you forgot something.
Sheldon: What?
Penny: This plasma grenade.
[explosion]
Penny: [laughs] Look! It's raining you.
Sheldon: You laugh now. You just wait until you need tech support. (Big Bang Theory)

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Dude, they got your money already, they really don't care unless they can figure a way to squeeze more cash out of you. Your angry tears are wasted, especially at this site.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

At first glance, there really appears to be nothing wrong with the official statement about the loot drops.

But when you think about it, they're running tests, and they don't "think" the randomness mechanism is misbehaving, but they're not sure, and they haven't found anything "suspicious." But what exactly would be suspicious to Anet? How credible are these tests if the community is noticing issues, and the tests are finding nothing?

Then they basically ask the community to solve the problem for them on another thread.

I see what you're driving at, Red.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    OP go post on the official forums if you have any problems. Unless you just want to complain.
  • MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

I honestly don't understand why you are so upset over their reply.

They said they've received similar reports, they've done some checking and haven't found anything wrong but just in case they may have overlooked something, they are going to do more extensive testing.

What did you want them to say? OMG You are so right! The system is completely out of whack and we are going to fix it right away so that it quadruples drop rates. And to make up for your frustration here is 100000 gems for the gem store and also a full set of Legendary weapons.

As you can clearly see, that response was as overdone as yours.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Melodrama....

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by MyTabbycat

They said they've received similar reports, they've done some checking and haven't found anything wrong but just in case they may have overlooked something, they are going to do more extensive testing.

What did you want them to say? OMG You are so right! The system is completely out of whack and we are going to fix it right away so that it quadruples drop rates. And to make up for your frustration here is 100000 gems for the gem store and also a full set of Legendary weapons.

I don't particularly care for GW2 anymore, but I would agree with this.  I don't see how they said anything insulting.  The only insulting thing in this thread is the OP's response to the post.

• JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430
    bugs aren't from yesterday
  • DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556
    If it's not fun don't play it.  I know I don't any more because I didn't find endgame content to be much fun at all.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• scotty899scotty899 Member Posts: 166
    well the OP certainly did not like the answer lol
  • QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Welcome to official gW2 forums! And I'm not exagerating here. This part of the internet is one of the worst I've ever seen. I'm actually frightened how terrible playerbase GW2 has.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by taziar

The op has serious issues.  The official reply was basically 'we don't think there is a problem, but are looking at statistical data to verify'.   How is that in any way disrespectful?   All the anger in the post is clearly coming from somewhere else.  

This response isn't the worst, but ANet tends to have a 'You don't know what your doing" tone behind their responses. Its a real smug kind of response where they protray themselves better then the players and treat them like idiots. A good example is some time ago their 'there is plenty to do in GW2" list which basically just gave fanbois stupid things to put in favor of the game which could be basically copy and pasted from virtually any game out there. 

Anet is pretty good at having a smug little snip at the players with how they word it. The 'we are listening to you, but your just morons' kind of response that just feels half-assed. 

Heck, maybe they don't, but unfortunately wording wise they tend to really miss-step quite a lot in this area.

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

This is pretty Interesting.   Arenanet is actually one of the better companies at listening and adapting to their player base.   From changing GW1 expansion release schedule,  all the way to realizing that some players know more about PvPer balance than they do(with more indepth anaylasis than they done).  And actually admitting to the two in past blogs several times.

OP is most likely just raging about to rage.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• BanaghranBanaghran Member Posts: 869

CM fail.

You dont leave the ragers steam with a problem for a month and then waltz in with a half assed "we dont think anything is wrong, but you are free to give us CONCRETE DATA proving that it is".

You can NEVER EVER mention that everything is allright or request data from the angry people at this point, they already made hundreds of posts with data.

At this point you HAVE to admit something or not reply at all.

Flame on!

:)

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

its funny becouse i just played 2 hours

and got loot worth of 14g :)

all these threads about rare drop nerfs or ecto salvage nerfs

RNG is RNG deal with it even if the chance is 50% you can still hit the 100 unlucky streak :)

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Well, I can certainly see why you'd be a little upset (the answer they gave was fairly flippant) but I think it got taken over the line a bit.

Although it certainly was an entertaining read.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Even if it was a stealth nerf, I don't think they're uncommon.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • LizardoneLizardone Member Posts: 93

loot drops have been fine to me; working as intended I guess

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

The whole drop rate nerf(s) [and continued nerfs] comes down to ArenaNets inability to combat bots.

If I choose to farm an area for hours on end, I expect to have equal treatment amongst those who actively play.  The bots ruin this ideaology, and thus ArenaNet neets to make bots ineffective, which in turn, affects normal players too.

All ArenaNet had to do was actively identify bots.  Bots don't even run very clever scripts either, so it's not like ArenaNet couldn't pick them out.  Teleport hacks are rampant. Repeated pathing bots are rampant.

ArenaNet did delete a bunch of bots, but they need to keep a dedicated team to do this for the life of the game.  If they are having problems determining if someone is a bot, they need better tools.  Sure bot programs get better and better .. but companies also need to get better and better to pick bots from the general population.

WoW's Warden is an interesting anti-bot tool (installed on every customers machine) to sniff out automated processes.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

It is a business. They need to make money. The cash shop is the only way they have to do so after a player buys the box. You are pissed off because they want to entice you into using their cash shop?

Welcome the the world of cash shops :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• neve1272neve1272 Member UncommonPosts: 44
    red that was so good i saw that post on the GW2 forum was great post
  • CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Ive done my fair share of farming in GW2 and I have several friends and guildies who do as well from time to time. 

What have we noticed?  Waves. 

Loot waves.  For whatever reason, loot seems to drop all at once.  We farm bloods or were doing that.  We would get many in a short period of time, and then not a single one more for perhaps an hour or longer, then suddenly a bunch would drop off various mobs all at once. 

As I've said, for whatever reason, we've notced a descripency in loot.  Yet only that it happens in waves.  A lot of people have complained that they hit a loot barrier and don't get any good drops after that.  Did they try playing for another hour, farming the same mobs?  Because if they had they'd notice all of a sudden good loot starts dropping all at once again, then tapers off, then starts again, then tapers off. 

I'm talking as someone who has farmed for as long as 6 hours at a time.  My best friend has done the same, as well as a few of my guildies.  We've all noticed the same thing.  Loot seems to, for whatever reason, come in waves.  So there certainly is a loot descripency, but I don't beleive it's a loot barrier.  Instead a lot of my GW2 friends, as well as myself, believe that loot comes in waves and that if players were to just hang on and keep looting, suddenly for no reason they'll start getting really good drops, and usually all at once. 

You might get really bad drops all at once for ten minutes, or 2 hours, then suddenly good drops kick in.  But it seems to never be a steady rate.  It fluctuates all over the place.  Maybe it's designed that way purposefully.  I have no idea.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    I gave up on this subject as I said it had been nerfed a long time ago, but all you get is a back lash from fanbois saying its working as intended or that i'm being paranoid etc etc.  I also stopped playing this game over a month ago. The whole system is manipulated by anet, they have complete control of drop rates and the gem prices. I was supporting this game and was a fanboi myself at one point, I learnt fast and left and saved face.
  • RedJorgeRedJorge Member Posts: 106

Just an update.

As predicted, an ArenaNet nameless forum moderator closed the thread after 1 month, 1256 replies and 42763 views.

It is always easier to sweep the dirt under the carpet than to properly clean it.

The only problem is that one day the pile of dirt will be too big and the carpet too short to cover it.

RJ

Leonard: Penny, you are on fire.
    Penny: Yes, so is Sheldon.
    [laughs]
    Sheldon: Okay, that's it. I don't know how, but she is cheating. No-one can be that attractive and this skilled at a video game.
    [walks away]
    Penny: Wait, wait. Sheldon. Come back, you forgot something.
    Sheldon: What?
    Penny: This plasma grenade.
    [explosion]
    Penny: [laughs] Look! It's raining you.
    Sheldon: You laugh now. You just wait until you need tech support. (Big Bang Theory)

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by QSatu

Welcome to official gW2 forums! And I'm not exagerating here. This part of the internet is one of the worst I've ever seen. I'm actually frightened how terrible playerbase GW2 has.

Actually it's quite a valid response. That thread has been there for ages, basically ignored by ANet for over a month, and the entire playerbase is pretty much in agreement that something was changed because loot drops suddenly fell through the floor.

The fact it takes them a MONTH to respond to the issue and then say as far as they're concerned nothing is wrong (but they'll do some 'tests') is pretty insulting.

That kind of response is pretty representative of everything ANet does to be honest. They ignore issues on the forums until it's too late and then respond with some vague answer that either implies there's nothing wrong or they'll 'look into it' and then nothing more is heard.

ANet quite honestly have the worst live team I've ever seen in an MMO. Jon Peters even let slip that they only have TWO people working on class balance... most MMOs have at least one dev dedicated to each class.