Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scissor, paper, stone

I have spent a little time playing WoT, casually; which, by the by, I think deserves its plaudits.  It has a scissor, paper, stone set up.  Why don't more MMO's do this, it (IMO) would make pvp far more interesting.  For example, tank kills mage, mage kills rogue, rogue kills tank. 

Does anyone know of any games with this setup?

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

Comments

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by Scarfe

I have spent a little time playing WoT, casually; which, by the by, I think deserves its plaudits.  It has a scissor, paper, stone set up.  Why don't more MMO's do this, it (IMO) would make pvp far more interesting.  For example, tank kills mage, mage kills rogue, rogue kills tank. 

Warhammer used to have that. Don't know if it does anymore.

And it's called Rock, Paper, Scissors.

• ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281
    not here it isn't ;)

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

I think it's kind of annoying that if both parties have equally good play the outcome is already determined.

If both parties have equally good play, the battle should continue until there is interferance from allies, some gambit works, or someone "done and goofed up".

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

Does that mean only certain classes can kill only certain other classes? Isn't that rather limiting? What if I'm a rogue and I want to kill the mage but not the tank? Are you telling me I can't?

If that's the case, I wouldn't play that game.

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181
    not here it isn't ;)

Maybe not in London, but in the rest of the UK it is :p

****EDIT****

Actually, it's called 'Rock, Paper, Scissors' in London as well, so it would seem. The UK championships were held there in September. I bet that was exciting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock-paper-scissors#UK_Rock_Paper_Scissors_Championships

http://www.ukrockpaperscissorschampionships.com

• cdesteycdestey Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by darwa
    not here it isn't ;)

"here" = his head

Originally posted by MyTabbycat

Does that mean only certain classes can kill only certain other classes? Isn't that rather limiting? What if I'm a rogue and I want to kill the mage but not the tank? Are you telling me I can't?

If that's the case, I wouldn't play that game.

Of course not, you would just have an advantage against certain other classes, rather than makin all classes homogenous and dull. 

Originally posted by cdestey
    not here it isn't ;)

"here" = his head

Really?  I've never known anyone call it anything other than scissor, paper, stone outside the US. 

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by tom_gore

Generally of the type:  Non transitive Game.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

For me it's Rock but if you want to use a Stone I guess that's ok.

Still not sure about your combat theory. I guess I'd have to try it and see what it's about. But I'm not convinced it would be more fun than just using skill and tactics to beat your opponants.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Its also called Ro Sham Bo

** no,not the South Park version

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• TorgenTorgen Member UncommonPosts: 158

Yeah I know what you mean and I liked it back when I played Dark Age of Camelot. As an assassin or archer you would always try to get the mages/supporters first because they were the easiest and most important kills, but tanks had so much absorb,armor,life and often stuns that you avoided them. 

That does not mean it was impossible to kill a tank as an assassin. If you paired up you could also gank single tanks which was common in groupfights.

Mh.. now I feel like playing DAoC but it has changed so much in many regards.

• Oracle_FefeOracle_Fefe Member CommonPosts: 221

It's alright for games where you can easily change your role. If you're a mage in a game where you can easily switch to warrior or rogue, and a rogue keeps on getting you, then switch to warrior next game or something and counter his playstyle.

MMORPGs..not quite. If you roll a mage, you're stuck as a mage and will forever be tormented by thieves with barely anything you can do. Sometimes it's alright in team-based combat, but 1v1 or 2v2 rock paper scissors isn't generally well-liked.

• ZyzraZyzra Member Posts: 354
    not here it isn't ;)

"here" = his head

Really?  I've never known anyone call it anything other than scissor, paper, stone outside the US. 

Yeah I've never heard it called that thing you wrote either.  I'm from US.  It's probably related to that game telephone, where you tell people something and they tell and so on until the original message becomes distorted.  In other words, the four year olds told you the wrong name of it.

Originally posted by Zyzra
    not here it isn't ;)

"here" = his head

Yeah I've never heard it called that thing you wrote either.  I'm from US.  It's probably related to that game telephone, where you tell people something and they tell and so on until the original message becomes distorted.  In other words, the four year olds told you the wrong name of it.

Chinese whispers?

• BanaghranBanaghran Member Posts: 869

Unfortunately, the rock paper scissors concept really works only up to a certain complexity of the game, both how the game combat is "physically" engaging ("skill based gameplay") and in terms of content diversity.

If the game is too much skill based, the pvp jocks will be angry (however it may be in reality) because they KNOW that they are better than YOU, they blame the system for not giving the ANY chance of winning.

On the opposite side, the pve nerds will be unhappy if they select a character that is good in the system, but useless in parts of the pve game, consequently potentionally creating a situation when there is no rock and scissors rule supreme, this problem increases exponentially with how many "items" we add to the system (in case we add lizard and Spock, "paper disproves Spock" :) ) and the game (world pve, small scale pve, large scale pve....) .

In the end devs resort to balancing pvp with simple asumptions, which may turn out good or bad.

One of the most annoying assumptions is that if noone makes a mistake, the pvp match goes on forever.

Flame on!

:)

Originally posted by Banaghran

Unfortunately, the rock paper scissors concept really works only up to a certain complexity of the game, both how the game combat is "physically" engaging ("skill based gameplay") and in terms of content diversity.

If the game is too much skill based, the pvp jocks will be angry (however it may be in reality) because they KNOW that they are better than YOU, they blame the system for not giving the ANY chance of winning.

On the opposite side, the pve nerds will be unhappy if they select a character that is good in the system, but useless in parts of the pve game, consequently potentionally creating a situation when there is no rock and scissors rule supreme, this problem increases exponentially with how many "items" we add to the system (in case we add lizard and Spock, "paper disproves Spock" :) ) and the game (world pve, small scale pve, large scale pve....) .

In the end devs resort to balancing pvp with simple asumptions, which may turn out good or bad.

One of the most annoying assumptions is that if noone makes a mistake, the pvp match goes on forever.

Flame on!

I thought Kirk fought the lizard?

not here it isn't ;)

"here" = his head

Chinese whispers?

Exactly, that one.  I am from the US though, which is where it is called Telephone.  I have heard it called Chinese Whispers before though, and wouldn't claim that I would never consider it called by anything other than Telephone though :P

Flame on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kov2G0GouBw

And yes, he shot him in the end with a hand cannon...

Flame on!

Flame on!

Do you also write letters to people and sign them with, instead of your name, a "Flame on! :)" at the end?

Just so you know, not everyone who replies to you or even disagrees is flaming.

I just worry because I would hate for this to become such a habit to you that when you make a statement in real life you'd say "Flame on!" and then tilt your head to an extreme sideways angle and smile.

I'm trying to help.

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

Flame on!

Do you also write letters to people and sign them with, instead of your name, a "Flame on! :)" at the end?

I just worry because I would hate for this to become such a habit to you that when you make a statement in real life you'd say "Flame on!" and then tilt your head to an extreme sideways angle and smile.

I'm trying to help.

Hehe. Beautifully done :)

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

we add to the system (in case we add lizard and Spock, "paper disproves Spock" :) ) and the game (world pve, small scale pve, large scale pve....) .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kov2G0GouBw

And yes, he shot him in the end with a hand cannon...

Flame on!

I almost bought once a Rock Paper Scissors Lizard Spock t-shirt, but I cancelled the order 'cos I wouldn't dare to wear it in public anyways :) but yep, Sheldon rocks.

And for "Kirk fought the lizard" I'd love to see when you say a Gorn "lizard" to his face :)

Edit: damn, between the smileys I forgot to add, DCUO is the most obvious example for rock paper scissors (not a personal experience since I don't pvp, just familiar with the system). It's exactly the setup you wrote in OP.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I think in some ways, most class systems both PVE and PVP have some basis in this.  If there was no weakness or strength related to combat with other classes, then all classes would be just about identical.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

Flame on!

I'm trying to help.

Hehe. Beautifully done :)

The number of emails i have to write daily is disproportional to the number of posts i write here.

So, bad for you, good for me, another one caught :)

Flame on!

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by tom_gore

depends of the country, how the words mostly fits

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN