Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you ever seen a game with this much controversy surrounding it?

2»

Comments

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by dollada06

I have been trying to think if I have ever seen a game that has has so much controversy and uproar about it as long as I have been playing videogames. From the day it was revealed it was instantly branded as a stolen concept from DayZ.  Then they were catching a lot of crap for their lack of any information or real gameplay footage less than a month before their Alpha test.  Then there were the early on refunds which were a huge deal, the pay-for-clan debacle and now this revive thing and especially the false advertising on steam.  I really don't remember a game that has had so much negativity around it.

Anyone else?

You must not have ever read many of the posts on this site alone. Look back at the history of SWG, SWTOR, LOTRO, EVE Online and you name it....they have ALL had big controversies.  Not saying that War Z (or any of the others for that matter) didn't have it coming. They falsely tried to "sell" their product based upon features that were/are currently NOT in game. Yes, they may plan to have them but they are not now. You don't gain trust by selling wishful dreams as actual content.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049
    Found the game I was mentioning earlier and couldn't remember the name: Mourning.  There was a thread about the game that lasted for 3 years and 147 pages.  It took me 2 hours of scouring the pub forums from 2003-2004 (yes it was bugging me that much).  Here's a link to the 3 year thread http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/37720/page/1.   I think this was the most controversial mmorpg I have ever read about.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Dawn, Dark & Light. Mourning. Darkfall, Mortal Online, Vanguard...
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    Mortal Online is a continuing debacle.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• enik3enik3 Member Posts: 37

EVE Online got a lot of negative press and pissed off users with 'Monoclegate' especially after the release of a couple of internal memos. But the War Z would definitely earn a spot near the top of the list thus far, especially for something that's not a fully released game, nor has a complete community yet.

• FleshMaskFleshMask Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Originally posted by dollada06

I have been trying to think if I have ever seen a game that has has so much controversy and uproar about it as long as I have been playing videogames. From the day it was revealed it was instantly branded as a stolen concept from DayZ.  Then they were catching a lot of crap for their lack of any information or real gameplay footage less than a month before their Alpha test.  Then there were the early on refunds which were a huge deal, the pay-for-clan debacle and now this revive thing and especially the false advertising on steam.  I really don't remember a game that has had so much negativity around it.

Anyone else?

Final Fantasy XIV.

When it first came out:

No auction house, 8 hour xp decline, buggy UI, quest are reduced to 3 tasks per profession, copy/pasta terrian, no jumping (rocks and pebbles could stop you), unreadable map, crafting actually takes 5-10 minutes, you couldn't see enemies, no markets at all, no tutorial, massive amount of censorship to shut people up about how bad this game was, comic artists talking about their adventures in game (but later revel they never played the game).

I paid 80 bucks for the collector's edition...

Here are the reviews and marks against the game, you could see I was mad as hell. People were fired, Square Enix is apologising and they have been attempting to fix and reboot this turd since 2 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--LOYdzogDA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YalPV3cgI78

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La9nLBfH44c

• GrimFaustGrimFaust Member Posts: 11
    At least with FF14 they changed to F2P for quite some time to compensate customers and ran the game with losses to their own income. On top of which they apologized profusely and took all the criticism that they knew they deserved. With War Z, they just blamed the customers and banned anyone who disagreed. I think a lot of the "controversies" that people mention in other games were at least remedied by the company and the companies showed some remorse ( not all, granted ). But with Hammerpoint, the fucks given by them seem to be little.