Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Everquest 2 really worth playing now?

Renton81Renton81 Member Posts: 92
hey guys, I've been getting bored of WoW lately and wanting to try out something else, I saw that everquest 2 looked alright, and that it had recently gone F2P too (which is always a bonus, but not really an issue if it wasn't). I was thinking, does the game innovate enough to be worth my time, and will the F2P element show me enough of the game? also, how much per month is it to play in GBP, the site only shows it in dollars. I could just convert it, but sometimes games a priced completely differently even after currency conversion.

Thanks for your help guys.

Received my first Free UGC code! :)
Claim your Free UGC code Here

Comments

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Well, to be fair, if you are burnt out on traditional MMORPGs then EQ2 might not be the game for you... you may need soemthing *radically* different to WoW.

BUT... saying that...

EQ2 is, if you like the model of game it is, absolutely worth playing, even now.

The game is both extremely deep and broad in terms of gameplay, is viable for soloers, small groups, and raiders, has a vibrant and actively invested community and is generally very newb friendly. The customer service is also generally excellent.

It does innovate, but probably not enough to change your mind if you are in fact bored of the type of game it is.

I find it the most fun and engaging of current PvE MMORPGs though and the only one I constantly return to.

At the end of the day though I guess... just DL and try it. Make your own mind up.

(I am from the UK myself and find selecting the 'GBP' option to show sterling on their site to be accurate)

If you try and like it, feel free to addd Miniflyn to your friends and I will be glad to help you. I am in a small but active and friendly EU/ UK guild that is very inclusive called The Witching Hour, if you are looking for people that play your hours. I can help to get you into contact with other players in our timezone if you like.

• rutaqrutaq Member UncommonPosts: 428

EQ2 has been suprisingly fun.   I am part of a group of mostly new players that returned to EQ2 about 6 weeks ago.  We formed a reroll guild with over 50 active people and we have been have a blast.  We group alot and have been running through most of the old Dungeons and running Heritage quests as we buld our Guild hall and get closer to the 90+ content.  

If you are interested in giving it a shot jump onto Antonia Bayle and look for the guild I N S T I N C T.

If you are curious we have a basic guild site at  instinctguild.guildlaunch.com

• KnyttaKnytta Member UncommonPosts: 414

Yes EQ2 is absolutely worth trying, lots of people have come back or restarted on AB. As Vesavius says the game has a lot of strong points the xp curve to reach 90 have been evened out and you can do most of the dungeons in game with a friend or a friend and a Merc. FTP is totally playable for a long time (late 70s at least) if you pay $ 5 for a silver membership, you can level nicely on the treasured drops in game. You do not need to buy the AoD expansion (with mercenaries) in the beginning as you can solo a lot of content nicely and I would wait as that is probably going to get a price reduction soon.

As for guilds the biggest EU guild nowadays on AB is Acolytes of Valor (I think), Dark Riders is also a nice guild with several UK players (it is a small guild), I am not a member of either of these guilds so you have to check them out yourself.

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarch

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Yes I'ts defently worth playing.

Not sure where you are from but if you wan't to play on Splitpaw the only EU server you have to change region up in the left corner of EQ2 launcher It's on US by default.

I suggest you get into a guild that has plenty of low/mid range players/alts due to solo in lvl 1-50 zones can feel somewhat emty and desolated. (On EU server that is)

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Renton81
    hey guys, I've been getting bored of WoW lately and wanting to try out something else, I saw that everquest 2 looked alright, and that it had recently gone F2P too (which is always a bonus, but not really an issue if it wasn't). I was thinking, does the game innovate enough to be worth my time, and will the F2P element show me enough of the game? also, how much per month is it to play in GBP, the site only shows it in dollars. I could just convert it, but sometimes games a priced completely differently even after currency conversion.

Thanks for your help guys.

EQ2 has always been worth playing. 

• KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252

Yes! The game is worth playing, because it's amazing! I never thought I would have such a blast in a game, as I had in EQ2! 

The F2P in this game is more like a long trial. You don't want to be a F2P-player later on, just because of the gear/skill locks. Also, many races and classes are locked. But if you find one of the free classes interesting, then there is no problem for a long time. But again, at some point you will find out that you "need" to go premium, paying the monthly sub. Anyway, great amount of value for that money and it is well worth it, in my opinion!

Choose Freeport or Antonic Bayle, when picking server. Those are the most populated ones and they both have great communities! That is also one of the reasons why I love EQ2 = the community! So, try to get into a guild as fast ad you can, to increase the joy!

Take it easy, enjoy the game and try to get the immersive feeling! If you find something you do not like about the game, try to look past it. All games got some glitches, problems and so on, but EQ2 got so many pros. So try to keep those in you mind instead!

Good luck and have fun!

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

It's a very good game. I played if from 2004 to 2011. I would still be playing it if not SWTOR but it sucked me in and spoiled with VO, so I don't see myself to play any other game for now except maybe TSW. Though EQ2 has planty of voice over for MMO.

Plenty of races and classes to choose from and a lot of content as it is well established game (Launched November 2004).

Definitelly give it a try. Find  a good guild, raiding is a lot of fun in EQ2.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

I'd say no... least if you want to do the F2P model they have. Its quite terrible as is so I'd recomend against it. Extremely restrictive in some rather dumb ways. If you are willing to pay then I'd say go ahead and have a blast, it isn't a bad game at all.

I'd suggest playing a game like Rift (if your willing to play Sub) if you want a 'wow' like experience, particularly one that isn't dumbed down incredibly and your more into the 'TBC' times of sorts without a lot of the parts that started to send wow down the drain.

If your really dedicated to F2P, then Lotro might be an alright choice for you or even Swtor, though both can be quite restrictive, though lotro does have ways to earn points for the game (though it can be grindy) while Swtor gives a good deal of the gameplay free, though being quite restrictive on the pvp/instance parts and pretty much requiring a subscription to play end game.

• reploidxreploidx Member UncommonPosts: 320
    Everquest 2 has made some things less restrictive with their F2P model. Bronze has the most restrictions with less bank spaces and limited skills. For a one time payment of five bucks you get more. I believe they give you unrestricted access to the broker (where before they said you had to buy tokens from the marketplace) where as now you can buy stuff from it. If you can get into a guild, and they have crafters, you can get mastercrafted stuff which is just as good as legendary gear. Recently they took off the money restrictions, so if you can get the Plat, you can buy Kronos and basically play the full game for free.  I've been playing for two months now and having a bigger blast than i did with other games. All i can really say is give it a shot, you don't have anything to lose.
  • Josh007CLJosh007CL Member CommonPosts: 38
    Just make sure to NEVER look at the marketplace. The fact that they are selling things that should be in the game for outragious prices is rediculous. They appear to be making more stuff for the market then the game itself. Also when I logged in (without the newest two xpacs) I noticed they still have not brough any other start areas back. Why did they not update them?
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Josh007CL
    Just make sure to NEVER look at the marketplace. The fact that they are selling things that should be in the game for outragious prices is rediculous. They appear to be making more stuff for the market then the game itself. Also when I logged in (without the newest two xpacs) I noticed they still have not brough any other start areas back. Why did they not update them?

I actually think the game has enough starter areas as it is... what did you want to see updated specifically? I am not really sure of what you are saying here really.

As for not looking at the market... well, yes... but to fair you do get 500 SC a month as part of your sub. If you choose to buy stuff past that all depends on how far down the rabbit hole you are I guess.

There is honestly no shortage of content in this game, in fact, quite the opposite in my experience.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Josh007CL

marketplace is primarily fluff - there is no adventure gear

starting areas,

Frostfang Sea and Darklightwoods saw some changes this past summer

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/355320/EQ2-patch-Darklightwoods-and-Halas-starter-areas-enhanced.html

Patch notes for Tuesday, June 26, 2012:

POPULATION / ZONE PROGRESSION
    Halas and Darklight Wood
    Newbie experiences in New Halas and Neriak have been updated to make them more rewarding and fun. Neriak’s Darklight Wood got a much-needed art overhaul which adds to the ambience of eeeeevil. New and better armor sets are available to level 20 and we will be recommending players opt for New Halas or Neriak upon entering the game their first time.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    There are better MMORPGs for what EQ2 offers (like TSW). But if you're seeking MMORPG with crazy amount of content and things to do, EQ2 is one of top picks
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by mindw0rk
    There are better MMORPGs for what EQ2 offers (like TSW). But if you're seeking MMORPG with crazy amount of content and things to do, EQ2 is one of top picks

this also is my problem with EQ2 also , i played it at release and remember how hard it was just getting to level 30 and the dying with experience debt . How you started as a warrior priest scout or mage on the isle of refuge lol and had to work your ass off just to get to your class and advanced class. Now every single time i try to go back to EQ2 i leave within a week at most and just hate the damn thing. Its just personal preference though i guess but i miss working hard to get things in eq2 and now everything just like wow is thrown at you . Hell there is even a stupid named ghost in dark light wood dropping a chest at level 5 with a legendary in it. Man........you know how much work that crap used to be to get that sort of stuff. MeH EQ2 sucks =( im just bitter .....

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I actually really like the quests and basic game mechanics and features in EQII, and would recommend it to anyone wanting to play a "classic" style MMO (ie: quest and non-twitch based).

The thing that turned me off was the herky jerky looking combat.  It's not smooth, in fact it's plain ugly.  I play these games to kill things, and I want to feel like my weapon is actually connecting when I swing.

If that doesn't bother you, and you like a VERY WoW-style experience, it's worth playing.  There's plenty to do.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Purutzil

I'd say no... least if you want to do the F2P model they have. Its quite terrible as is so I'd recomend against it. Extremely restrictive in some rather dumb ways. 

If your really dedicated to F2P, then Lotro might be an alright choice for you 

EXTREME contradiction here.

EQ2 has one of the least restrictive experiences whatsoever.  Yeah, classes locked.  You still have 8 to choose from.  Yeah, fabled gear is locked.  You dont need it. No content is locked outside of the recent expansions.  Yes, there is the usual bank/bags/auction type restrictions, but 2 bags in EQ2 (once you befrend a high level player Im sure they will give you 2 cheap 40+ slotters) is as much bag space as LOTROs entire inventory.  And if you decide to sub, all restrictions go away.

LOTRO, on the other hand, is the exact definition of nickel and dime.  Want to use a horse route?  pay up.  Want to join a crafting guld?  pay up.  want to quest in any zone 20+ (besides one)?  pay up.  Hey, you can use all the gear but you can only use a couple traits (not only is the content not free, but you miss out on the depth of the class system with only 2 class traits and are underpowered)... pay up

Oh hey you are a sub player now...

want shared bank slot?  pay up.   want to be able to disable your experience?  pay up (5 bucks per character)

thats right...LOTRO charges you 5 bucks to disable experence on a character (just one, not all)  EVEN IF YOU SUB

LOTRO is still an excellent game (EQ2 even better) but to dump on EQ2s f2p system and suggest LOTRO is just ridiculous.

• Saur0nSaur0n Member UncommonPosts: 114
    I logged in a few days ago for the holiday quests etc. and I had a blast.  It's just a good solid mmorpg and the devs actually work on the rpg aspect.
  • NonderyonNonderyon Member UncommonPosts: 189
    question: is it possible unlock the races without pay for it?
    Originally posted by Nonderyon
    question: is it possible unlock the races without pay for it?

no

but SOE has Station Cash promotions a few times a year

example:

on Friday Dec 21 there was a triple SC promotiion for 24 hours

with a 15.00 dollar Walmart gamecard - it was worth $60.00 Station Cash

Total cost to unlock all 5 race packs is 37.50SC

alternatively,

players do trade ingame cash for SC cards or Kronos (worth months game time)

http://eq2wire.com/2012/10/29/krono-in-game-currency-going-live-today/

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by Purutzil

I'd say no... least if you want to do the F2P model they have. Its quite terrible as is so I'd recomend against it. Extremely restrictive in some rather dumb ways. 

If your really dedicated to F2P, then Lotro might be an alright choice for you 

EXTREME contradiction here.

EQ2 has one of the least restrictive experiences whatsoever.  Yeah, classes locked.  You still have 8 to choose from.  Yeah, fabled gear is locked.  You dont need it. No content is locked outside of the recent expansions.  Yes, there is the usual bank/bags/auction type restrictions, but 2 bags in EQ2 (once you befrend a high level player Im sure they will give you 2 cheap 40+ slotters) is as much bag space as LOTROs entire inventory.  And if you decide to sub, all restrictions go away.

LOTRO, on the other hand, is the exact definition of nickel and dime.  Want to use a horse route?  pay up.  Want to join a crafting guld?  pay up.  want to quest in any zone 20+ (besides one)?  pay up.  Hey, you can use all the gear but you can only use a couple traits (not only is the content not free, but you miss out on the depth of the class system with only 2 class traits and are underpowered)... pay up

Oh hey you are a sub player now...

want shared bank slot?  pay up.   want to be able to disable your experience?  pay up (5 bucks per character)

thats right...LOTRO charges you 5 bucks to disable experence on a character (just one, not all)  EVEN IF YOU SUB

LOTRO is still an excellent game (EQ2 even better) but to dump on EQ2s f2p system and suggest LOTRO is just ridiculous.

Not to mention that he also suggested SW:ToR as a good F2P and it is incredibly restricted (to the point that you have to pay for extra hotbars).

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by ideainsanity12

It's still worth playing. Don't let the high prices and chunks of haters fool you. EQ2 AND EQ1 are very qualitative games. Though the game is pricy, it feels like worth the money, even if your F2P. Here's a quick comparison I made of the F2P content of EQ2 and WoW:

WoW: 20 levels, More open during these levels, grindy.

EQ2: 90 levels, line route, oddly a bit more fun.

(snip)

Wow, that is a very quick comparison, a little too quick in my opinion.

World of Warcraft has a trial that is open-ended whereas EQ2 has a F2P option in a hybrid model. I don't think you can really compare the two free options of the games.

You can do almost everything any other lowbie in WoW can do during the free trial outside of some talk and trade restrictions that were put in place to dissuade farmers from using trial accounts to spam players with ads or use them to send gold that was bought for real money.

EQ2's F2P option is restricted as far as what you can wear, learn, sell, race, class, amount of gold you can have, your bag and bank space, and character slots. You can either pay à la carte to unlock these things, or pay memberships.

To the OP, but outside of the F2P model, EQ2 does offer things that WoW does not and vice versa.

The crafting system is more evolved in EQ2. You have several tiers of items like crafted and master crafted, you can level up as a crafter before leveling up your adventuring class. There are work order 'quests' that allow you to level up your craft faster, special crafter-only mounts, gear, and other items, etc.

There are quests that WoW does not have such as lore quests that you get by reading books, catalogue quests, or there are city writs (based on levels, not dailies) that allow you to do small tasks that help you gain faction with your city.

There is housing as well that WoW does not have, and as a result furniture and fluff items for the house are important.

There is more social clothing, RPG elements and the like as well. You can use city status as a currency to delevel your character while soloing, or you can choose to join lower level groups and mentor the rest of the group.

Instead of talents, you get AAs, and you also can pick and choose other traits as you level. There are no talent trees. Skills and spells have different tiers and part of the game is either trying to find, buy, or craft better skills and spells.

EQ2 also emphasizes exploration and in some cases luck to do the quests. The dungeons are zones that are separate from the rest of the world, but they are not 5 man instances like in WoW. The dungeons are more 'old school' too in how they are designed, where you wander around discovering things and finding bosses to beat up rather than having a set path.

I hope this helps you make a decision whether it is the game for you.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

this is offtopic

but the trade restrictions in WOW trial are harsh  (and should be due to gold sellers)

you cannot trade coin/items with other players

you cannot use your mail

players can send you coin/items but your mailbox is off limits to access

as WOW trial player

you are forced to be self sufficient for items and coin

Blizzard does give trial players access to all races and most classes  (except DK and monk)

I wish EQ2 gave players a chance to try all races/classes without having to spend anything

but at least SOE has x2 and X3 SC promotions -- helps to make everything much less expensive