Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you have stayed with an mmo if subscription had been cheaper

Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
The reason i ask this is because i pick and choose which games to play but would like to have tried more i believe that mmo players prob pay subscription for a couple of mmos adding up to around £20 a month games such as wow and rift so when we had subscriptions on swotor and tsw (yes i know you still can) it all adds up .I just think that these games that jump to ptp so quickly could have thought about cutting their subs would swotor have doubled its numbers if it was say £5 a month i certainly would have stuck with it .i really dont like cash shops unless they truely only have fluff items in and the complaints i have heard about swotor where you buy extra bars and ptp pvp will def stop me going back ,anyway the long and the short of it is if subs were less the more games i would try these are just my views interested to hear yours :)

Comments

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

Yes, I probably would've still played WoW on and off if i could do so for free or 5 bucks a month.

While i mostly grew bored of it, I'd still go back for the roleplaying community i was a part of and the new content thats released.

It's just not worth 15 anymore.

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

The subscription price has never been a factor for me.  Either I like a game or not.

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

Likewise, to me, subscription price doesn't matter at all. 

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• LizardoneLizardone Member Posts: 93
    No.
  • gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

No.

Actually, there are a few games that I left after they went F2P (not becouse of them going F2P, but becouse of the changes that came with that, which I did not like).

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    Dude its $15 a month.  Thats pretty friggin cheap.  The only time I had trouble with paying that was when I was in the middle east and some *cough CoXEvE cough* wouldnt accept my credit card sometimes.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319

15 bucks is nothing. Coffee costs more for a day.

It is about game being fun or not. It could be 5 bucks a month and i still wouldn't play it if gameplay bores me to death.

• MMOdad72MMOdad72 Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by Zalmon

15 bucks is nothing. Coffee costs more for a day.

It is about game being fun or not. It could be 5 bucks a month and i still wouldn't play it if gameplay bores me to death.

Very well said.

I think devs use this as an excuse nowadays , and exit surveys are skewed wordwise , as if they are trying to prove to the accounting teaming going F2P cash shop is the way to go.

If they put an option for "need more variety and gameplay options" as a choice for not subbing to a game any more it would crush the numbers picking to leave because of the fee.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Castillle
    Dude its $15 a month.  Thats pretty friggin cheap.  The only time I had trouble with paying that was when I was in the middle east and some *cough CoXEvE cough* wouldnt accept my credit card sometimes.

So if you want to play EQ2, WoW, Rift, SWTOR, EVE, Vanguard, LoTRO all at the same time throught the month.. it's only $105 a month right..... Still chump change for everyone?  hmmmmmmm

• Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Originally posted by Castillle

im not arguing about paying $15 a month if i found one game that i loved i would happily pay twice that but i would have tried more if they were cheaper at the momeent i pay about $30 bucks a month for subs so when games such as tsw first came out wasnt willing to fork out another $15 bucks tho i believe tsw was nearer 20

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Sub prices are about the only thing in this world that has doubled or tripled in price this past decade lol. It actualy became cheaper compared to the charge by hour model they use to have.

50 cents a day (30 cents if doing long term sub) isnt the issue. Its the fact games today just suck and have no longevity and are not worthy of a monthly fee. Some games are, and dont mind paying. If the devs started to make better games id pay more. Because in the end 15 dollars a month is cheap as hell for 24/7 entertainment. Try finding cheaper.

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Sub fees are pretty cheap. The only thing they influence is how many games you are willing to sub to. And there aren't a whole lot of them anymore since many games have gone buy to play (or started out that way) or free to play with cash shops.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    a sub can keep me away from any game. If the game is good enough i pay to play on and off. Even on free games i dont stick with only 1 game. Much less if i have to pay monthly. That said, i prefer to enjoy many different experiences rather than be a slave of 1 game. I have never played to be the best most hardcore player in one game so i dont focus on 1 game, i suck at most of them but what matters to me is the fun factor in all games i try, not to stick to 1 game.

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    when I was little it would have allowed me to play different games (played runescape because my parents wouldn't shell 15 a month but 5 was okay).  However on my own 15 is nothing so it really isn't a barrier
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

No.

I don't play games because they are 'free', I play them because they are the ones I enjoy. My leisure time is too valuable to be spending it on something chosen on the qualifier of simply being 'free' in all honesty. The asking amount is simply not enough to be a barrier for me in any sense.

I personally don't see why the F2P Devs want the true freeloaders in their games that think around £2.50 a week is 'too much'... they really think these guys are gonna splurge in a cash shop? Maybe they just think they can wear them down over time and manipulate them into spending though... It probably works if given enough time to slow boil the frogs in all fairness.

• shinkanshinkan Member UncommonPosts: 240

Subscription price don't matter to me, if I enjoy it i keep playing and paying.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Sub price has no bearing on whether I decide to play or stay with MMORPG, initial box price actually impacts me more.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by kb4blu

The subscription price has never been a factor for me.  Either I like a game or not.

^^This^^

I would rather a subscription mmorpg. I despise the so called free to play models with cash shops.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    I play games based on whether i like them or not. not if i have to pay for them or not.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

I would say yes and no. If I liked a game a lot that I felt I would put a lot of time in, the subscription never turned me off. If a game didn't feel quite right to me though, I wouldn't pay a subscription, at least not for a long time.

There have only been a couple of games that fell into the category of not being really worth the subscription to me: Vanguard and ToR. In the former game, though when I got around to playing it, it was really fun, there weren't enough people on and there was no real development. In the case of ToR, it is too linear and non-MMO like.

I also play WoW much more often than I would either of those two games so I am coming from it from the viewpoint of someone wanting a secondary MMO. I would prefer not to pay full sub price for a game that I play far less.

In both of those cases, if there had been a cheaper sub option, I would have stayed subbed.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980
    Originally posted by kb4blu

Same here

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    No, I quit a game when it gets to be not fun for me whether it is p2p, p2p, or b2p.  For example, I bought rift for 4.99 on steam and played less than a week.  Playe TOR until I ran out of content to do and they didn't add content fast enough so I didn't sub.  It had nothing to do with the 14.99 as I still wouldn't have had anything to do if it had been 5$ a month.  I quit playing GW2 after a couple of months and it has no sub.  Played UO for a year at the original 9.99, then when EQ came out, I was subbed for close to 5 years, and when wow came out I was subbed for almost 7 years.  If the game is worth it, to me, I will pay for it.  Of course I would have played EQ and WoW for free as well:)
  • VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

I have never quit a game because of the subscription cost. In some cases, I've been willing to spend more then the subscription fee in order to enjoy a particular game even more through additional subscriptions (pre-CU SWG: looking at you).

If a game is fun enough, I'll pay.

That said, I do prefer having a free trial being made available to me before jumping in with my credit card. I recently subbed to both Rift and Eve because they let me test it out first.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

a 15 buck a month subscription does not bother me not in the least. Heck I spend that in 2 days on lunch alone.  If you are that cheep to not be able to afford 15 bucks a month you probably don't have the cash to have internet. 

Honestly the only reason why I don't pay a sub is if I don't like a game.

Now that I say this some games that have a sub I would not play like swtor, yes it is free to play but with a lot of lockouts and imho that game shoudl bee buy to play. 

You make a good game I will sub up, if not well there are plenty of games to play. 

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

i would.  The problem is not the 15$ a month. 

The problem is if you are constantly buying new games, and trying out other games, it get very expensive try to keep the subscription for multiple games.