Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Award] General: 2012 Players' Choice Awards

Comments

• megakoreshmegakoresh Member Posts: 3

This is a popularity contest, I am seeing some peopole groan about one game not deserving something or vice versa: just remeber: the best here is not the best game, it's the most well-known game. For example Firefall has only 9.5% of votes in the innovation section, which might seem ridiculous, but it's simply because Guild Wars 2, Pirate or Secret World and other MMOs in that section and known better and Firefall is still in closed beta.

Same reason why LoL is winning in the "best hybrid" section, ES: Online in anticipation and so on.

It's a contest that shows game's marketing, not quality, so stop saying "Why is X winning and Y is not?". A true measure of game's quality is in what percentage of it's players are not disappointed in it and have not abandened it. I played Guild Wars 2 for 14 hours. Then got bored stiff. Same with Planetside 2, not even a very good outfit helped. That is a true measure for a game, not these contests.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926
    Originally posted by Darkholme
    I guess I donb't understand the "Hybrid" category... what does it mean by "hybrid"?

Its simple. They needed a catagory to put LOL in somewhere. People seem to forget MMORPG is a busness and by adding LOL into one of thier awards they are going to get a virtual shitton of traffic to the site from LOL players comming here to vote. Even if they never come to the website again they will make HUGE bank over it. I dont blame them mind you. Its a cash grab but they are in it to make money like anyone else. But thats what the catagory is, something to be able to add an extreemly popular game. I'm suprised they didnt add SC2 to it.

• GoldiusGoldius Member UncommonPosts: 42
    MMORPG Award Winners= Highest spenders of advertisiing dollars on this site

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Originally posted by megakoresh

This is a popularity contest, I am seeing some peopole groan about one game not deserving something or vice versa: just remeber: the best here is not the best game, it's the most well-known game. For example Firefall has only 9.5% of votes in the innovation section, which might seem ridiculous, but it's simply because Guild Wars 2, Pirate or Secret World and other MMOs in that section and known better and Firefall is still in closed beta.

Same reason why LoL is winning in the "best hybrid" section, ES: Online in anticipation and so on.

It's a contest that shows game's marketing, not quality, so stop saying "Why is X winning and Y is not?". A true measure of game's quality is in what percentage of it's players are not disappointed in it and have not abandened it. I played Guild Wars 2 for 14 hours. Then got bored stiff. Same with Planetside 2, not even a very good outfit helped. That is a true measure for a game, not these contests.

Cant very well vote for games that you cant play. Gw2 is the obvious winner and people are voting for it because it deserves it, whether you like it or not. Pirate101 is getting votes from their fans, not from objective critics.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Your opinion - everyone has one. It doesn't mean that people who voted for the top games are wrong just because it is opposite of yours.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Players choice has become companys using marketing tactics to skew it..

What can you do I guess....

• NilderNilder Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Originally posted by mindw0rk
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Originally posted by Kabaal

Sadly the choices in some of the categories are lacking this year. It felt like choosing between "meh" and "ok". Star Citizen was however clear cut, can't wait to see what they do with the game.

What games would you have liked to see that we didn't have in there?

Since you included WoW's Pandaria, why not put in EVE Online? It had great expansion this year and its still arguably the best MMORPG

I agree EVE Online : Retribution should be on this list for Game of the year !! It is a shame to not include this game and I only hope that its not vindictive bitterness that it always ranks high in the Year end Awards as to why it is not an option this year !

• megakoreshmegakoresh Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by mCalvert

Cant very well vote for games that you cant play. Gw2 is the obvious winner and people are voting for it because it deserves it, whether you like it or not. Pirate101 is getting votes from their fans, not from objective critics.

You realise, all of your sentences contradict each other, right?

First you repeat myself, then you say that GW2 "deserves" the place (which implies that is the most innovative MMO of 2012) and you say that Pirate101 is, in fact, getting votes unobjectively from their fans, which implies GW2 is objectively the most innovative and is not winning because it has the biggest playerbase, which contradicts your first sentence!

That post gave me a headache. The truth is mathematically simple:

• People vote for games they played (either because they liked it, of because they are trying to justify their purchase)
    • The more people play said game the more votes the game will get
    • There is no way even 5% of the voters have played all games in the categories, which makes words such as "objective" and "deserves" completely unapplicable.
    • Whatever game wins at whatever category is because of it's publicity and NOT it's quality in that category.
    Those are facts. What games you enjoy is personal preference. Between Firefall and GW2 the most innovative is definitely Firefall. Does that mean Firefall is better? No. Does that mean Guild Wars 2 is better? No. What you enoy is yours to determine, we must simply not allow false judgement to happen on the basis of these popularity contests.

Bottom line: play the game to judge it, these polls mean nothing to the end user.
  • tfmlamtfmlam Member UncommonPosts: 1

Where is Wizard101????? Its not on any list??? It should be!! <3 ~<3~ :-) :-D

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

You realise, all of your sentences contradict each other, right?

First you repeat myself, then you say that GW2 "deserves" the place (which implies that is the most innovative MMO of 2012) and you say that Pirate101 is, in fact, getting votes unobjectively from their fans, which implies GW2 is objectively the most innovative and is not winning because it has the biggest playerbase, which contradicts your first sentence!

That post gave me a headache. The truth is mathematically simple:

• People vote for games they played (either because they liked it, of because they are trying to justify their purchase)
    • The more people play said game the more votes the game will get
    • There is no way even 5% of the voters have played all games in the categories, which makes words such as "objective" and "deserves" completely unapplicable.
    • Whatever game wins at whatever category is because of it's publicity and NOT it's quality in that category.
    Those are facts. What games you enjoy is personal preference. Between Firefall and GW2 the most innovative is definitely Firefall. Does that mean Firefall is better? No. Does that mean Guild Wars 2 is better? No. What you enoy is yours to determine, we must simply not allow false judgement to happen on the basis of these popularity contests.

Bottom line: play the game to judge it, these polls mean nothing to the end user.

I was referring to Firefall for games you cant play, and GW2 for game of the year. Firefall is in beta, therefore most people cant judge whether its innovative. Just get over it. GW2 deserves the win, and its mounting trophy case is proving that everyone recognizes it.

• yoshiyo1yoshiyo1 Member Posts: 2

I play pirate101 and absolutely love it, but Kingsisle (the company of P101) is NOT bribing us AT ALL.

All they have done is posted on their news and log in screen saying 'Hey vote for us here!", completely optional and without reward, Pirate101 is just awesome like that~

• nikki2hip54nikki2hip54 Member Posts: 2

I want Pirate101 to win just to see the looks on your faces! Hahaha.

It'd either be P101 or GW2 for me.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Given that everyone i have seen that supports Pirate 101 has a total of 1-10 posts in their career, im callin bull on them actually legitimately voting.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• gja2003gja2003 Member Posts: 1

what does innovative mean

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Originally posted by Rayshe
    Given that everyone i have seen that supports Pirate 101 has a total of 1-10 posts in their career, im callin bull on them actually legitimately voting.

lol@ 1 to 10 posts! :-D I am a avid supporter and fan of Pirate101. The game is very good! Regardless of who votes for it or the reasoning some here give as to why Pirate101 is so close to Guild Wars2. Its not a conspiracy! Pirate101 is completely fun! Especially at high levels!

• darkeye391darkeye391 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    i didnt know half the games besides pirate101 lol i gave never played it though soo i dont know any games... sad
  • darkeye391darkeye391 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    ONE MORE THING WHERE IS WIZARD101!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • bulletprofffsbulletprofffs Member Posts: 2

ok ..IS PIRATE101 THAT GOOD??

If you lie at me and i waste time trying it out i ll come back and murder you /

• SraelynnSraelynn Member Posts: 1
    i agree with Darkeye391.... WHERE IS WIZARD101!!??!?!?!!??! i'm only here cuz Wizard101 posted this on my Facebook wall. i'm here to vote for them but they r not on the list and i either never heard of the other games or tried them and kinda hate it. i hate world of war craft sorry to those of u who like it i just don't.
  • ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281
    I couldn't vote at all for best game of 2012 because most of them disappointed or did not even appear on my radar.  Pointless voting for the best of a bad bunch. 

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

• darthjtdarthjt Member Posts: 4

GOTY, hmmm, surprised Wizard101 was not mentioned....  However, for those of you that have not tried Pirate101, you might be quite surprised at how innovative and fun this game really is.  It has been very looked forward to and then finally released in October of this year. 

I don't mind any game being nominated for GOTY, since it should be the best MMORPG game going, but some of you should try out some of these games before you cast that vote, instead of just voting on who you think will be most likely to win.

Pirate101 truly is the game of the year to me, it is the most innovative with new concepts, new story lines, and new fun.  Everything you could want in an MMORPG all rolled into one.

• NomadHunter1985NomadHunter1985 Member Posts: 1
    I'm surprised Pirate101 is almost beating Guild Wars 2 and that Planetside 2 is that far down in voting. That game sucks!!!!
  • cheyinzacheyinza Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Originally posted by CBBMAN19999
    I was paid in-game stuff to vote for Pirate101

That is not even true. I am a Pirate101 Fan and I was not paid any in-game stuff to vote. That's sad that you have to lie to smear a game's credibility.

-Wizard101 Fan and Owner of StarsoftheSpiral Archive for Wizard101
    http://www.starsofthespiral.pbworks.com

• darthjtdarthjt Member Posts: 4

GOTY, hmmm, surprised Wizard101 was not mentioned....  However, for those of you that have not tried Pirate101, you might be quite surprised at how innovative and fun this game really is.  It has been very looked forward to and then finally released in October of this year. 

I don't mind any game being nominated for GOTY, since it should be the best MMORPG game going, but some of you should try out some of these games before you cast that vote, instead of just voting on who you think will be most likely to win.

Pirate101 truly is the game of the year to me, it is the most innovative with new concepts, new story lines, and new fun.  Everything you could want in an MMORPG all rolled into one.

• cheyinzacheyinza Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Whitebeards

Originally posted by Whitebeards

Originally posted by mCalvert Id like to know how Pirate101 even got in the poll.
    It is a MMO nominated on a website about MMOS in a poll called 2012 Players choice awards. 1+1 = 2.
    So are 100s of 'mmos'. Yet only a few are on the poll.
    The popular ones i guess? guys at the website do this for living so i am sure they have more reliable data as to what MMOS have big fan base to make it relevant for voting in nomination polls. What is the point of putting an obsecure MMO on poll which no one is going to vote for? and as seen from results Pirate 101 is quite popular.

Wizard 101 is incredibly popular, and Pirate 101 is the Pirate version of Wizard 101.

** edit **
    Wizard 101 is a well put together MMO. I played it through the free content and was surprised at how well the game worked and how solid it was as an MMO. It is a kid's game, so I don't know that I'd recommend it to anyone I play with who doesn't have kids...but the game is well done.

Actually I do not have kids, I am an adult and I love playing Wizard101 and Pirate101. It's a new way of playing games without having to be a hard core gamer. Kingsisle was very creative when they thought up this new way of playing. I call myself a soft core gamer. Game makers keep forgetting about people like me. But Kingsisle did not. :)

-Wizard101 Fan and Owner of StarsoftheSpiral Archive for Wizard101
    http://www.starsofthespiral.pbworks.com