Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is 30 bucks worth playing the beta?

funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279

Just wondering. And can someone tell me if the game runs as smooth as WoW? I have a pretty good gaming rig and run WoW, Rift on high settings very smoothly. But games like LOTRO and SWTOR run a little choppy. I don't think its because of my pc, I think its their game engine or something.

So I'm just wondering if this game has a smooth running game engine like Rift or WoW. Because it really, really annoys me to play a choppy/stuttery game.  If any of you have played SWTOR you guys know what I'm talking about. If DFUW runs smooth I will pay to play beta. I like the idea of a seamless world and the sandbox.

Comments

• xersentxersent Member Posts: 613
    Take a look at my sig thats my rig and i can run LOTRO & SWTOR on ultra/max settings with no lag just wondering what is your system specs.

• funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by xersent
    Take a look at my sig thats my rig and i can run LOTRO & SWTOR on ultra/max settings with no lag just wondering what is your system specs.

Its not lag. It is low fps when more than 10 players are on screen. It is choppy. Only runs smooth sometimes on empty planets. My specs are AMD FX 3.4ghz 6core, Radean HD 6870, 8 GB DDR3, Win 8 64bit. Cable internet. It should be able to run LOTRO and SWTOR fully maxed np but it doesnt. It is the game engines not my pc.

Edit: I think my Asus mobo is same as yours too.

• 123443211234123443211234 Member UncommonPosts: 244
    Its an actual beta not a free trial "beta" so to answer your question no, wait at least a couple weeks and then give it a try if you are expecting a beta of a new game to compare to games that have been out for 5+ years.
  • PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565
    No, it's just a gimmick to get people to give them money early. Real beta's last for months. AV has such a small team, they arne't going to be doing anything to fix any issues, especially now it's christmas.
  • HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    Originally posted by PsychoPigeon
    No, it's just a gimmick to get people to give them money early. Real beta's last for months. AV has such a small team, they arne't going to be doing anything to fix any issues, especially now it's christmas.

That's utter crap, theres been marked improvements in the few days since the beta opened.  I also wouldn't call 60 employees small in the realm of independant developers.

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Originally posted by Hancakes

That's utter crap, theres been marked improvements in the few days since the beta opened.  I wouldn't call 60 employees small in the realm of  independant developers.

[mod edit]

To the OP: Save your money for now. Don't say I didn't warn you.

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Hancakes

That's utter crap, theres been marked improvements in the few days since the beta opened.  I also wouldn't call 60 employees small in the realm of independant developers.

If that number is accurate, then I'm a bit surprised.  60 employees should be able to produce a better game than they did and have.  What, out of those 60 guys, do they not have one animator?  Or is this one of those studios that has 50 lead dev's and only a few actual coders?

You make me like charity

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075
    the beta just wiped again and is still very rough. darkfall is my favourite game but even I am not enjoying this beta test. stay away until they fix/add more stuff seriously.

My blog: image

• DekapitatorDekapitator Member UncommonPosts: 261

If you like full loot pvp and want to be a pioneer in what will probably be the best pvp game out there... Yes buy it.

But don't forget its a beta there are Major game braking bugs atm.EX: all your gear disappearing when you log off, and many others.

If not. wait till realese.

• gchris7gchris7 Member Posts: 73

Darkfalls beta is for polishing the game and fixing bugs so it gets ready for release.

You arent supposed to play and enjoy right now. The game runs in debug mode so  its unstable, there are bugs and they wipe when ever they feel its nessesery.

The reasons to preorder are:

1) Get access to beta in order to give feedback and help the devs fix bugs.

2) Get to know the game so you will be ready when it releases.

3) Name reservation

4) 25% discount

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

If it's a matter of buying the game now or then, then I would suggest now.  It comes with its headaches, but I don't usually get into beta to truly play the game.  I like it that I can get the client downloaded and get patches prior to game day when everyone is hammering their servers to get on.  Also, I like to play around with the controls a bit.  Just to get used to them, so that on game day, I'm not flapping in the wind.

If it is a matter of will I or won't I buy the game, then definitely wait.  Beta is no time to judge a game.  

As for being as smooth as WoW, I would say no.  But then again, it doesn't have the maturity that WoW does.  I will say that it does run pretty smooth, and the graphics/sound are great.   As far as style goes, I much prefer the DF look than the WoW look.

I self identify as a monkey.

• HotjazzHotjazz Member UncommonPosts: 742
    No
  • ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

It's a beta, not a F2P open beta, but a rough-round-the-edges beta.

Paying to participate is for fans and people who want to contribute to the game, not freeloaders who will play the beta then cancel their pre-order.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555

I am a Darkfall vet. EU and NA launch. I play the DF:UW beta. Right now I do not recomend it to my friends, but only because I want them to see what I know will be the launch product, not the beta product. It is fun, it can give you a head start on learning the mechanics, but it is a ***real beta***. It is not a 3-days before launch "beta" that AAA mmos put out to max prepurchases.

If you want to help a some indie developers test their game, get a discount on the price, and have some (sometimes frustrating) fun, join in. If you can't handle testing issues, wait till launch and ask again. If I see your post I will give you an honest answer then as well.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• scotty899scotty899 Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by Consensus
    the beta just wiped again and is still very rough. darkfall is my favourite game but even I am not enjoying this beta test. stay away until they fix/add more stuff seriously.

yes and it will wipe many more times because it is a beta.

but it is not in a very enjoyably state to play. there is a patch almost every day to fix issues. wait a few weeks and ask again :D

Cool thanks. Will I be able to cancel my pre order if I do not like the game? I think I will like the sandbox, full loot etc. But if it runs choppy/stuttery(like swtor) then I will not play it. I want it to be very smooth.
  • TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    No it's not worth it at all. I have been stuck in the tutorial since launch. You lose all of your items when you log out unless you use a clan bank. Just wait till this is released to make a decision.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

The client is very unstable right now. The game itself is awesome, 99% of the features are working as intended. 

The main problem is crashing and loosing your inventory, once they get that delt with the game will be a PVP sandbox fans dream game.

• Agrias34Agrias34 Member UncommonPosts: 147

No, playing the 'beta' isn't worth the 30 dollars, but paying 30 dollars now and playing the game when it is less buggy/glitchy/laggy when it launched in like 2 months is worth it.  The game will be 40 dollars then, and u save 10 dollars now and get a month for free.

It isn't worth it just to play the glitchy beta, it isn't stable and is just a crap beta.

no one has answered my question. does the game run choppy like swtor? or is it smooth running like Rift or WoW?
  • RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

really not from are updates 

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by funcon
    no one has answered my question. does the game run choppy like swtor? or is it smooth running like Rift or WoW?

wait until debug mode is off ...

• patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155
    No not worth it.
  • yorkforceyorkforce Member UncommonPosts: 160

Just clarify, are you guys from the US being quoted as $30 on the sale page? Because my page is saying 30 EURO's which is infact $40.